ADVERTISEMENT

Dakich torched Trey

I see. So then what is the difference between a college and a professional player?

Your inference is that since a college player may get NIL money, torching them is fair game. Where’s the divide?
High school players don't get paid. There is the divide.

Reactions: smitty3725
Yeah, same here. Will take awhile before I get to any players. Can’t fire players.
Funny you mention that. I read an article today about Dartmouth mens team can unionize since a labor arbiter ruled they are employees of the university. Oh, boy!

Did I hear Todd Leary correctly say that he called the basketball office and offered to come in and help with some shooting mechanics on his own dime but the staff declined? If that's what I heard him say it just shows the arrogance of some members running this clown show.
Man that would be something else. Knight had a team in 1993-1994 that was absolutelty perfect to go up against that Temple zone. Bailey, Graham, Leary, Evans and Hendedson. All five could make a three. I'd take any of those five to help come in and try and improve things. But it's not needed. Woodson has this lmao.

Reactions: TheShadow1087
I still don’t have the slightest idea why anyone believes the fact that Alford played here would make him a better coach than what he has proven to be everywhere else.

None of the players would care at all about him playing here before.

He is a slightly above average college coach at best. Those are a dime a dozen
We can’t even hire a “slightly above average college coach”.

I still don’t have the slightest idea why anyone believes the fact that Alford played here would make him a better coach than what he has proven to be everywhere else.

None of the players would care at all about him playing here before.

He is a slightly above average college coach at best. Those are a dime a dozen
Don't we have a dime to give?

The real question is why is Quinn Buckner is in charge of hiring?
I’m gonna keep banging this drum: Is Woody a client of Quinn’s wealth management firm? Inquiring minds want to know if the Chairman of the BOT perhaps steered an enormous state employment contract to a client.

Because if Beard had interest in the IU job… it’s patently insane that he wasn’t interviewed for it. Or it’s perhaps something worse than insane…

For me, the real question is - Where is the evidence that QB "hired" anyone?

I remember quotes he made something like Woodson being a good man but other than that......
It’s easy to read between the lines here… “liaison” my butt… was Woody on ANYONE’S shortlist? That hire came outta nowhere and it happened FAST too… it’s not like Woody had the world banging down his door… guy hadn’t been a head coach in seven years…

Buckner

I'm not putting much credence in whatever the NIL Store is. Caleb Furst # 3 in overall sales? No Caitlin Clark, and Gabe Cupps in the top 10 in "sales"? Meaningless imo.
Yeah, that doesn't fit th "IU" narrative!

It’s easy to read between the lines here… “liaison” my butt… was Woody on ANYONE’S shortlist? That hire came outta nowhere and it happened FAST too… it’s not like Woody had the world banging down his door… guy hadn’t been a head coach in seven years…

Buckner

You are still making assumptions about his role. If QB was driving force behind this, why hide it? Why didn't the press release say something like "QB was instrumental in this search" or "QB was the driving force for Woodson to hired"?

I think it is just as plausible that the conversation went this way.

SD - Hey Quinn, Stevens is out. What are your thoughts on the next candidate?
QB - Give Woody a call. He wanted the job when Archie was hired.
SD - I will. Do you think you could help out.
QB - Sure, whatever you need.

Neither mine or yours is based on anything but speculation.

At this point he would not be a better coach due to playing at IU, but year ago he certainly would have a recruiting gold mine not to mention the systemic advantages the IU program offers to coaches
Those systemic advantages have manifested how the last 30 yrs?

Maybe you should.

Not one dollar amount mentioned, just rankings.

Whereas the NIL Store reported in January 2024 that after 2.5 years they finally have paid out a TOTAL of $1million to their student athletes. And yes, there are agreements outside of merch sales for sure. I'm sure Trey has a HFG deal, but he ain't pulling $500k unless you can prove it.

I’m gonna keep banging this drum: Is Woody a client of Quinn’s wealth management firm? Inquiring minds want to know if the Chairman of the BOT perhaps steered an enormous state employment contract to a client.

Because if Beard had interest in the IU job… it’s patently insane that he wasn’t interviewed for it. Or it’s perhaps something worse than insane…
I've seen you mention this angle more than once. I hope there is not a shred of evidence to it. Because if it is true, that is a serious conflict of interest. And then some. As in...'relieved of all future duties" - serious.

I thought that kind of crap only happened inside the Beltway. And CrOOK County, IL.

Reactions: 76-1
Alford already flopped at UCLA. He's also not been in the Midwest for decades. I think he'd be better than Woodson, but not a high bar.
Not saying he is the top answer, but we would kill for what he did at UCLA right now.

I'm not a fan of Alford as a coach....or a person. His cookies n milk persona morphed into something more snobbish. Maybe we should shy away from hiring any more former heroes.

That said, to call Alford's coaching career mediocre is not accurate. He'll soon be at 700 career wins. Soon to be in the top 30 all time, with less years coaching than most above him. We're talking same range as people like Izzo, Tarkanian, etc.. The only thing Alford doesn't have is deep success at a P5 program. And some deep tourney runs. And Pierre Pierce on his resume. And a track record for staying successful at one program for extended periods. And...and...

When Steve's coaching career is over, he'll likely be known as the coach who won the most...and yet, won nothing.

You are still making assumptions about his role. If QB was driving force behind this, why hide it? Why didn't the press release say something like "QB was instrumental in this search" or "QB was the driving force for Woodson to hired"?

I think it is just as plausible that the conversation went this way.

SD - Hey Quinn, Stevens is out. What are your thoughts on the next candidate?
QB - Give Woody a call. He wanted the job when Archie was hired.
SD - I will. Do you think you could help out.
QB - Sure, whatever you need.

Neither mine or yours is based on anything but speculation.
Sure, it’s all speculation… but if the Chairman of the BOT is openly influencing the AD’s choice on large state employment contracts (the hire of someone who is clearly his close friend) whilst also a partner in an Indianapolis wealth management firm (Mack Financial)… beyond the blatant nepotism, one feels inclined to speculate if there’s any financial connection between the parties and if Indiana University’s best interests are being upheld.

Surely nobody would let such a conflict of interest slip by unnoticed… we’d have been all over that like a 3-way phone call, right?

I'm not a fan of Alford as a coach....or a person. His cookies n milk persona morphed into something more snobbish. Maybe we should shy away from hiring any more former heroes.

That said, to call Alford's coaching career mediocre is not accurate. He'll soon be at 700 career wins. Soon to be in the top 30 all time, with less years coaching than most above him. We're talking same range as people like Izzo, Tarkanian, etc.. The only thing Alford doesn't have is deep success at a P5 program. And some deep tourney runs. And Pierre Pierce on his resume. And...and...

When Steve's coaching career is over, he'll likely be known as the coach who won the most...and yet, won nothing.

He's done really well at the non P5 level. Nothing wrong with that. Good career.

I've seen you mention this angle more than once. I hope there is not a shred of evidence to it. Because if it is true, that is a serious conflict of interest. And then some. As in...'relieved of all future duties" - serious.

I thought that kind of crap only happened inside the Beltway. And CrOOK County, IL.
With cause we could clean house for a discount lol (that fits my agenda).

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Sure, it’s all speculation… but if the Chairman of the BOT is openly influencing the AD’s choice on large state employment contracts (the hire of someone who is clearly his close friend) whilst also a partner in an Indianapolis wealth management firm (Mack Financial)… beyond the blatant nepotism, one feels inclined to speculate if there’s any financial connection between the parties and if Indiana University’s best interests are being upheld.

Surely nobody would let such a conflict of interest slip by unnoticed… we’d have been all over that like a 3-way phone call, right?
You are right if there is a financial tie between them then something should be done.

You say that QB "openly" influenced the AD. You have no proof of that.
Once again, pure speculation.

You are right if there is a financial tie between them then something should be done.

You say that QB "openly" influenced the AD. You have no proof of that.
Once again, pure speculation.
Did you read the Indy Star article?

Yeah, that doesn't fit th "IU" narrative!
Do you know what it is? When I google it, it looks like a single online retailer/store, so I don't believe this is anything but representative of 1 companies sales. NIL is a ruling, not an individual entity, and I'm guessing NIL Store has some PU or B10 background as the sales are heavily slanted towards B10 and PU. If you want to believe there is some big ground swell of interest and support in one of your bench players, go ahead. I also called into question anything that would have Gabe Cupps in it's top 10, and doesn't even have Caitlin Clark gear apparently, and I'd guess over the last 2 years her jersey sales dwarf everyone on the list.

I don't know what it is, but until I do, I'm not putting any stock into it. If you want to, be my guest.

Last edited:
Reactions: .Gerdis
Do you know what it is? When I google it, it looks like a single online retailer/store, so I don't believe this is anything but representative of 1 companies sales. NIL is a ruling, not an individual entity, and I'm guessing NIL Store has some PU or B10 background as the sales are heavily slanted towards B10 and PU. If you want to believe there is some big ground swell of interest in support in one of your bench players, go ahead. I also called into question anything that would have Gabe Cupps in it's top 10, and doesn't even have Caitlin Clark gear apparently, and I'd guess over the last 2 years her jersey sales dwarf everyone on the list.

I don't know what it is, but until I do, I'm not putting any stock into it. If you want to, be my guest.
Exactly. This is obviously, OBVIOUSLY, one small part of the total NIL. Sad you had to type this out.

Everyone knows IU has a lot of NIL, most in the B1G probably 5-8th in country. More than little Purdue.

Now, we totally waste our NIL, but that’s another issue.

Dan's opinion is that Trey Galloway is very talented and is not utilizing his gifts. I'd like to see Trey as a better leader. Perhaps he just can't shoot and never will. But he can affect the game in other ways he is presently not.

Well Rev....as RMK would say under the circumstances, Trey can't even lead a whore to bed........

Trey is very talented in two respects--1. combing his hair; and 2. charging into the lane, jumping as high as he can, and trying to find someone to pass to.

To his credit, he plays hard most of the time, and sometimes lays it all out there. That's a lot, and more than can be said about the rest of this outfit, including the coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT