ADVERTISEMENT

Curious Case of MH 370, 8 years on.

I think this will go unsolved forever.

No closure for the family. We have flown enough in life, I can't imagine their last moments in the aircraft.
I had a brace position moment for a flight between Houston and Chicago years ago but I was young and never thought I was going to die. Not one moment.
This MH flight is just weird.

My hope is that it was some sort of depressurization event so everyone passed out quickly.

No closure for the family. We have flown enough in life, I can't imagine their last moments in the aircraft.
I had a brace position moment for a flight between Houston and Chicago years ago but I was young and never thought I was going to die. Not one moment.
This MH flight is just weird.

My hope is that it was some sort of depressurization event so everyone passed out quickly.

But then how did all the transponders get manually switched off. Plus the pilots would have the O2 masks dropped automatically. The pilot didnt look as though he was on a suicide mission either -- the convenient excuse. Its a morbidly fascinating case.

It definitely makes you aware of how huge the ocean is.

But then how did all the transponders get manually switched off. Plus the pilots would have the O2 masks dropped automatically. The pilot didnt look as though he was on a suicide mission either -- the convenient excuse. Its a morbidly fascinating case.

MH370 pilot killed all passengers by slowly suffocating them when oxygen was cut off before crashing in murder-suicide, experts claim

DD-COMPOSITE-PILOT-graphic-5.jpg

Climbing rapidly would have accelerated the depressurising process, he reveals.

"An intentional depressurisation would have been an obvious way - and probably the only way - to subdue a potentially unruly cabin in an airplane that was going to remain in flight for hours to come," adds Mr Langewiesche.

"In the cabin, the effect would have gone unnoticed but for the sudden appearance of the drop-down oxygen masks and perhaps the cabin crew's use of the few portable units of similar design.

"None of those cabin masks was intended for more than about 15 minutes of use during emergency descents to altitudes below 13,000 feet; they would have been of no value at all cruising at 40,000 feet.

"The cabin occupants would have become incapacitated within a couple of minutes, lost consciousness, and gently died without any choking or gasping for air."

The Atlantic Article: What Really Happened to Malaysia’s Missing Airplane
Five years ago, the flight vanished into the Indian Ocean. Officials on land know more about why than they dare to say.

Judging from the electronic evidence, this was not a controlled attempt at a water landing. The airplane must have fractured instantly into a million pieces.

The mystery surrounding MH370 has been a focus of continued investigation and a source of sometimes feverish public speculation. The loss devastated families on four continents. The idea that a sophisticated machine, with its modern instruments and redundant communications, could simply vanish seems beyond the realm of possibility.

It is hard to permanently delete an email, and living off the grid is nearly unachievable even when the attempt is deliberate. A Boeing 777 is meant to be electronically accessible at all times. The disappearance of the airplane has provoked a host of theories. Many are preposterous. All are given life by the fact that, in this age, commercial airplanes don’t just vanish.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WTF.
The whole bit about a plane flying dark, with its entire crew and passengers dead other than the pilot is a pretty chilling vision to imagine. I guess the silver lining is that it was at least a painless death for the passengers.

Last edited:
There's a case in Greece where the plane lost pressurisation and just flew on like a ghost.

220px-Helios_737_olympia.jpg

Airforce jets that pulled up alongside could see through the windows - everyone in their seats, no movement, the plane just flying in a straight line.

The worst part is one steward was alive (with a portable O2 bottle) and tried to control it but failed. He was conscious, waved to the military jets, and was trying to bring it under control when the fuel got exhausted and the plane hit the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

Many of the bodies recovered were burned beyond recognition by the post-impact fire.[3]:57 Autopsies on the crash victims showed that all were alive at the time of impact, but it could not be determined whether they were conscious as well.

There's a case in Greece where the plane lost pressurisation and just flew on like a ghost.

220px-Helios_737_olympia.jpg

Airforce jets that pulled up alongside could see through the windows - everyone in their seats, no movement, the plane just flying in a straight line.

The worst part is one steward was alive (with a portable O2 bottle) and tried to control it but failed. He was conscious, waved to the military jets, and was trying to bring it under control when the fuel got exhausted and the plane hit the ground.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

Many of the bodies recovered were burned beyond recognition by the post-impact fire.[3]:57 Autopsies on the crash victims showed that all were alive at the time of impact, but it could not be determined whether they were conscious as well.

Golfer Payne Stewart's plane depressurized and flew from Gainesville to South Dakota before running out of fuel.

The thing about the Malaysian flight for me is I don't know that I buy any theory until they find more of the plane. Sensational theories will get the most press but that doesn't make them right.

Reactions: TomEric4756
MH370 pilot killed all passengers by slowly suffocating them when oxygen was cut off before crashing in murder-suicide, experts claim

"An intentional depressurisation would have been an obvious way - and probably the only way - to subdue a potentially unruly cabin in an airplane that was going to remain in flight for hours to come," adds Mr Langewiesche.

"In the cabin, the effect would have gone unnoticed but for the sudden appearance of the drop-down oxygen masks and perhaps the cabin crew's use of the few portable units of similar design.

"None of those cabin masks was intended for more than about 15 minutes of use during emergency descents to altitudes below 13,000 feet; they would have been of no value at all cruising at 40,000 feet.

"The cabin occupants would have become incapacitated within a couple of minutes, lost consciousness, and gently died without any choking or gasping for air."

Five years ago, the flight vanished into the Indian Ocean. Officials on land know more about why than they dare to say.

Judging from the electronic evidence, this was not a controlled attempt at a water landing. The airplane must have fractured instantly into a million pieces.

The mystery surrounding MH370 has been a focus of continued investigation and a source of sometimes feverish public speculation. The loss devastated families on four continents. The idea that a sophisticated machine, with its modern instruments and redundant communications, could simply vanish seems beyond the realm of possibility.

It is hard to permanently delete an email, and living off the grid is nearly unachievable even when the attempt is deliberate. A Boeing 777 is meant to be electronically accessible at all times. The disappearance of the airplane has provoked a host of theories. Many are preposterous. All are given life by the fact that, in this age, commercial airplanes don’t just vanish.

WTF.
The whole bit about a plane flying dark, with its entire crew and passengers dead other than the pilot is a pretty chilling vision to imagine. I guess the silver lining is that it was at least a painless death for the passengers.
Hard to believe that "In the cabin the effect would have gone unnoticed...." when there was a rapid ascent. More likely, the co-pilot was away from the cabin (bathroom) and was the locked out......

How in the %&&$ can you lose a plane now days when you can go out and buy GPS systems (like InReach) that sends you location to a satellite every so many minutes and you can have software that logs where you are.

On another note I was watching a documentary the other night on flight TWA 800 and while the final report said it was a fuel tank explosion there are others that swear that is not true and that it was shot down with a rocket. Are the guys out in the boonies... some seem like very reputable people..one was from the NTSB.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
How in the %&&$ can you lose a plane now days when you can go out and buy GPS systems (like InReach) that sends you location to a satellite every so many minutes and you can have software that logs where you are.

On another note I was watching a documentary the other night on flight TWA 800 and while the final report said it was a fuel tank explosion there are others that swear that is not true and that it was shot down with a rocket. Are the guys out in the boonies... some seem like very reputable people..one was from the NTSB.

Nearly $200 million spent and they aren't even close to any conclusion.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

TWA 800 shot down by a Navy missile conspiracy theory is a (another) stupid theory. How could that happen without anyone accounting for a missing missile. I know that we track those things extremely closely, and they're large and can't be overlooked. If a DDG or CG (the only ships capable of doing it) shot it down you'd have over 300 officers and crew that almost certainly knew about it and kept quiet all these years - including everyone in Combat, everyone on the bridge, and everyone involved in the next weapons offload. It would have to a conscious decision because TWA 800 wouldn't have fit a threat profile. It's just a dumb theory all around. It's not possible.

TWA 800 shot down by a Navy missile conspiracy theory is a (another) stupid theory. How could that happen without anyone accounting for a missing missile. I know that we track those things extremely closely, and they're large and can't be overlooked. If a DDG or CG (the only ships capable of doing it) shot it down you'd have over 300 officers and crew that almost certainly knew about it and kept quiet all these years - including everyone in Combat, everyone on the bridge, and everyone involved in the next weapons offload. It would have to a conscious decision because TWA 800 wouldn't have fit a threat profile. It's just a dumb theory all around. It's not possible.
They weren't saying that it was a missile from the US.

They weren't saying that it was a missile from the US.
That was the initial conspiracy theory (US Navy ship shot it down) and I didn't know they'd come up with another conspiracy theory. It's likely dumb too. ;)

WTF.
From that Atlantic article:

Accident investigators dispatched from Europe, Australia, and the United States were shocked by the disarray they encountered. Because the Malaysians withheld what they knew, the initial sea searches were concentrated in the wrong place—the South China Sea—and found no floating debris. Had the Malaysians told the truth right away, such debris might have been found and used to identify the airplane’s approximate location; the black boxes might have been recovered. The underwater search for them ultimately centered on a narrow swath of ocean thousands of miles away.

I'm not sure why the Malaysians withheld info, but it seems like by the time they were forthcoming about things, all meaningful evidence was swept away. Who knows what they might have found had they not been looking thousands of miles away in the wrong place.

Accident investigators dispatched from Europe, Australia, and the United States were shocked by the disarray they encountered. Because the Malaysians withheld what they knew, the initial sea searches were concentrated in the wrong place—the South China Sea—and found no floating debris. Had the Malaysians told the truth right away, such debris might have been found and used to identify the airplane’s approximate location; the black boxes might have been recovered. The underwater search for them ultimately centered on a narrow swath of ocean thousands of miles away.

I'm not sure why the Malaysians withheld info, but it seems like by the time they were forthcoming about things, all meaningful evidence was swept away. Who knows what they might have found had they not been looking thousands of miles away in the wrong place.
Makes one think they were hiding something.

The pilot suicide theory always made the most sense to me, since there was a deliberate attempt to conceal what happened and the plane went out of its way to fly over the pilots hometown.

That was the initial conspiracy theory (US Navy ship shot it down) and I didn't know they'd come up with another conspiracy theory. It's likely dumb too. ;)
What do you think about flight 93 (the 9/11 airline that the passengers took over and crashed it).

I never really bought that story and believed that it was shot down.

IIRC we grounded every plane and that was the last one flying and not responding to radio calls.

The towers were burning and the pentagon was crashed into....I think you had to shoot it down.

I figured that was the order but instead of saying we sacrificed innocent civilians we made them all heros.

Add to it the plane crashed down in the perfect spot, far away from anyone still makes me wonder if we took it down.

Again, I agree that we should (if we did).

Whaddya think? Crazy talk?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
What do you think about flight 93 (the 9/11 airline that the passengers took over and crashed it).

IIRC we grounded every plane and that was the last one flying and not responding to radio calls.

The towers were burning and the pentagon was crashed into....I think you had to shoot it down.

I figured that was the order but instead of saying we sacrificed innocent civilians we made them all heros.

Add to it the plane crashed down in the perfect spot, far away from anyone still makes me wonder if we took it down.

Yes, I think it's crazy talk. I told the guy at the Memorial in Pennsylvania that it was crazy talk too. It didn't go down like a plane shot down with a missile, it went down like a plane that did a nosedive into the ground.

I've wonder the same thing but weren't there several phone calls from the plane to spouses, etc that kinda said what was going on. My memory is foggy on the specifics.

Something like that always makes me wonder how well the nasty viruses that are stored around the nation (like at CDC) would stand up to a plane crashing into the area where they are stored.

Reactions: TommyCracker
The pilot suicide theory always made the most sense to me, since there was a deliberate attempt to conceal what happened and the plane went out of its way to fly over the pilots hometown.

Thats my guess too -- but you know I knew an air crash investigator once. Over a few drinks, he told me that it is always pilot error. wink. wink

If he wants to kill himself and take the plane down with him like with the GermanWings suicide crash pilot, why fly so far and then crash it into the ocean? There are plenty of other places to do it, much closer.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978

I suspect Malaysian Arlines' crisis management team's response was hindered by the fact that its biggest shareholder is the Malaysian Gov't (via its sovereign fund.)

Government links complicate Malaysia Airlines’ crisis response

I've wonder the same thing but weren't there several phone calls from the plane to spouses, etc that kinda said what was going on. My memory is foggy on the specifics.

Something like that always makes me wonder how well the nasty viruses that are stored around the nation (like at CDC) would stand up to a plane crashing into the area where they are stored.
I heard that also but it was 2001 and I don't remember being able to chat on your cellphone while up in the air back then.

I just remember all the planes were grounded except one and it was following a river that led straight to DC.....then it was down with practically zero plane left.

Immediately went...I bet we shot that f#$ker down.

Aloha says no and he's 5 million times the expert on that stuff than Tommy nobody so.....(I still think we shot it down. ;-))

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I heard that also but it was 2001 and I don't remember being able to chat on your cellphone while up in the air back then.

I just remember all the planes were grounded except one and it was following a river that led straight to DC.....then it was down with practically zero plane left.

Aloha says no and he's 5 million times the expert on that stuff than Tommy nobody so.....(I still think we shot it down. ;-))

• Haha
Reactions: TommyCracker

Yes, crazy talk. I'm going with a bunch of heroes stormed the cockpit as documented in the movie.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and sglowrider

Really? Which river flows from western nowhere Pennsylvania directly to the Pentagon? Is that the US map or Middlearth?

• Haha
Reactions: DANC and UncleMark

Yep, crazy talk. Here is an interview with the pilots scrambled to deal with flight 93... without missiles...chilling...

CBS News report

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT