ADVERTISEMENT

Cupps

bailey777

Hall of Famer
Nov 18, 2011
So lets say they get the stanford guy and another guard boy i dont see him getting many minutes. Maybe back up rice a little but they arent going to play 13 guys or even 11 guys. And rice is only sophmore so he would have to compete with him his whole career. Cupps seems like the type you want to develop but IU seems under woodson to go portal heavy so he will probably always just get recruited over.

So lets say they get the stanford guy and another guard boy i dont see him getting many minutes. Maybe back up rice a little but they arent going to play 13 guys or even 11 guys. And rice is only sophmore so he would have to compete with him his whole career. Cupps seems like the type you want to develop but IU seems under woodson to go portal heavy so he will probably always just get recruited over.
Agree, but not likely if he develops into a very strong player and contributor. He got a ton of meaningful minutes last season due to X injury. Cupps is somewhat what we really need and that’s stability in the roster at a critical position. Let him keep developing and by the time he is an upperclassmen, we likely donKt have a significant need at the PG spot because we have a homegrown talent already on the roster. Not sure how high the ceiling is for Cupps, but nice to have a kid like him on the team who we know can and will contribute in a meaningful way.

...and if in a year or 2 Rice puts a 'free agent' sign on his back prospecting for the highest bidder (possible by a coaching change)...he can be let go with Cupp's development and manage better value of NIL $ for the upgrade of the roster...

Last edited:
Reactions: asindc
I’m glad he is sticking with IU despite Rice and Carlyle coming in — those two are just much better at this point.

We talk about a foundation and culture and it seems like Gabe is the sort of player that will help with that. If he keeps improving he will get his chances, who knows what the next three years will bring — injuries, he may improve a lot, transfers…

I’m glad he is sticking with IU despite Rice and Carlyle coming in — those two are just much better at this point.

We talk about a foundation and culture and it seems like Gabe is the sort of player that will help with that. If he keeps improving he will get his chances, who knows what the next three years will bring — injuries, he may improve a lot, transfers…
On "paper" when you lay out the minutes, it looks like Gabe is gonna struggle to see the floor...assuming Carlyle picks IU.

But when the games actually happen, there are opportunities in most games for a solid guy like Gabe to come in and fill the cracks that come via injury, foul trouble, just poor play... And with his energy, and overall how solid he can be on both ends of the floor...he'll play a big role on this next team, even if Carlyle does pick IU. If for no other reason than he makes us a lot more deep. So injuries and foul trouble won't be nearly as damaging as they have been in the past.

Someway, somehow, I would bet a lot that Gabe will still end up playing 15 or more minutes a game this upcoming season.

I like Cupps. He is tough as hell. I'd bet on him. With that said, he had to play way too much as a frosh. In over his head most of the season and not his fault. Injuries forced him to play early. Hopefully he has more suitable role as a soph, or he grows into a beast over the summer. (My choice) Regardless, I hope competition makes the entire team better. Go Hoosiers!

CMW is trying to win now, you can not have it both ways. I like Cupps maybe he fina a fit.

If Cupps can grow a few inches and gain 15-25lbs of muscle while adding 5-10inches to his arm length and vertical, he’d be all-american! But what he realistically needs to work on is getting more separation to get a shot off and get the confidence(killer mentality) to take more shots or attack the basket. His size gives him many limitations! It would be nice if he could learn to play from someone like TJ McConnell.

Reactions: Willdog7
If Cupps can grow a few inches and gain 15-25lbs of muscle while adding 5-10inches to his arm length and vertical, he’d be all-american! But what he realistically needs to work on is getting more separation to get a shot off and get the confidence(killer mentality) to take more shots or attack the basket! His size gives him many limitations! It would be nice if he could learn from someone like TJ McConnell!
Maybe you’re referencing this but the IDS has an article on the Cupps and TJ comparison.

IDS Cupps and TJ

If Cupps can grow a few inches and gain 15-25lbs of muscle while adding 5-10inches to his arm length and vertical, he’d be all-american! But what he realistically needs to work on is getting more separation to get a shot off and get the confidence(killer mentality) to take more shots or attack the basket. His size gives him many limitations! It would be nice if he could learn to play from someone like TJ McConnell.
experience, Cupp will get there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT