ADVERTISEMENT

Crossfire Hurricane-FBI origins of Russiagate investigation

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
Fascinating expose published today in the NYT on the origins of the FBI Investigation into possible connections between Team Trump and Russia.Trump has labelled it a "witch hunt",but some within the FBI feel the bureau moved too slowly and were too preoccupied with avoiding any semblance of being anti-Trump,and consequently did not confront the evidence early enough to prevent Putin from accomplishing his objectives.The initial targets were Flynn,Manafort,Page and Papadopoulos...

"Mr. Flynn, a top adviser, was paid $45,000 by the Russian government’s media arm for a 2015 speech and dined at the arm of the Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin. Mr. Manafort, the campaign chairman, had lobbied for pro-Russia interests in Ukraine and worked with an associate who has been identified as having connections to Russian intelligence.

Mr. Page, a foreign policy adviser, was well known to the F.B.I. He had previously been recruited by Russian spies and was suspected of meeting one in Moscow during the campaign.

Lastly, there was Mr. Papadopoulos, the young and inexperienced campaign aide whose wine-fueled conversation with the Australian ambassador set off the investigation. Before hacked Democratic emails appeared online, he had seemed to know that Russia had political dirt on Mrs. Clinton. But even if the F.B.I. had wanted to read his emails or intercept his calls, that evidence was not enough to allow it. Many months passed, former officials said, before the F.B.I. uncovered emails linking Mr. Papadopoulos to a Russian intelligence operation.

Mr. Trump was not under investigation, but his actions perplexed the agents. Days after the stolen Democratic emails became public, he called on Russia to uncover more. Then news broke that Mr. Trump’s campaign had pushed to change the Republican platform’s stance on Ukraine in ways favorable to Russia.

The F.B.I.’s thinking crystallized by mid-August, after the C.I.A. director at the time, John O. Brennan, shared intelligence with Mr. Comey showing that the Russian government was behind an attack on the 2016 presidential election. Intelligence agencies began collaborating to investigate that operation. The Crossfire Hurricane team was part of that group but largely operated independently, three officials said.

Senator Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida, said that after studying the investigation as a member the Senate Intelligence Committee, he saw no evidence of political motivation in the opening of the investigation.

“There was a growing body of evidence that a foreign government was attempting to interfere in both the process and the debate surrounding our elections, and their job is to investigate counterintelligence,” he said in an interview. “That’s what they did.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/...icle&region=Footer&contentCollection=Trending

Fascinating expose published today in the NYT on the origins of the FBI Investigation into possible connections between Team Trump and Russia.Trump has labelled it a "witch hunt",but some within the FBI feel the bureau moved too slowly and were too preoccupied with avoiding any semblance of being anti-Trump,and consequently did not confront the evidence early enough to prevent Putin from accomplishing his objectives.The initial targets were Flynn,Manafort,Page and Papadopoulos...

"Mr. Flynn, a top adviser, was paid $45,000 by the Russian government’s media arm for a 2015 speech and dined at the arm of the Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin. Mr. Manafort, the campaign chairman, had lobbied for pro-Russia interests in Ukraine and worked with an associate who has been identified as having connections to Russian intelligence.

Mr. Page, a foreign policy adviser, was well known to the F.B.I. He had previously been recruited by Russian spies and was suspected of meeting one in Moscow during the campaign.

Lastly, there was Mr. Papadopoulos, the young and inexperienced campaign aide whose wine-fueled conversation with the Australian ambassador set off the investigation. Before hacked Democratic emails appeared online, he had seemed to know that Russia had political dirt on Mrs. Clinton. But even if the F.B.I. had wanted to read his emails or intercept his calls, that evidence was not enough to allow it. Many months passed, former officials said, before the F.B.I. uncovered emails linking Mr. Papadopoulos to a Russian intelligence operation.

Mr. Trump was not under investigation, but his actions perplexed the agents. Days after the stolen Democratic emails became public, he called on Russia to uncover more. Then news broke that Mr. Trump’s campaign had pushed to change the Republican platform’s stance on Ukraine in ways favorable to Russia.

The F.B.I.’s thinking crystallized by mid-August, after the C.I.A. director at the time, John O. Brennan, shared intelligence with Mr. Comey showing that the Russian government was behind an attack on the 2016 presidential election. Intelligence agencies began collaborating to investigate that operation. The Crossfire Hurricane team was part of that group but largely operated independently, three officials said.

Senator Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida, said that after studying the investigation as a member the Senate Intelligence Committee, he saw no evidence of political motivation in the opening of the investigation.

“There was a growing body of evidence that a foreign government was attempting to interfere in both the process and the debate surrounding our elections, and their job is to investigate counterintelligence,” he said in an interview. “That’s what they did.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/16/...icle&region=Footer&contentCollection=Trending
I will never understand why they felt we needed to know about the emails on Hama’s computer 10 days before the election, but not that the Trump team was being investigated for Russian ties.

Reactions: tbone6004
I will never understand why they felt we needed to know about the emails on Hama’s computer 10 days before the election, but not that the Trump team was being investigated for Russian ties.
I think Comey gave that away, although he's lying to himself about how big of a mistake it was. I think they were convinced Trump had no chance to win, so it was far more important for them to appear to not be in Hillary's corner. At least that's how I interpret the comments Comey made about the issue.

Reactions: cosmickid
I think Comey gave that away, although he's lying to himself about how big of a mistake it was. I think they were convinced Trump had no chance to win, so it was far more important for them to appear to not be in Hillary's corner. At least that's how I interpret the comments Comey made about the issue.
My interpretation also, which makes it even more ironic when Trump and his supporters act like Comey and the whole FBI were out to get him.

You will recall that Comey got hauled in front of Congress after he'd decided not to charge Clinton, and after taking all kinds of flack he pledged to report if any new developments arose. Then they discovered Weiner's laptop with all the files on it. Comey had backed himself into a corner, and being the Boy Scout he is, had to make the announcement about reopening the investigation.

You will recall that Comey got hauled in front of Congress after he'd decided not to charge Clinton, and after taking all kinds of flack he pledged to report if any new developments arose. Then they discovered Weiner's laptop with all the files on it. Comey had backed himself into a corner, and being the Boy Scout he is, had to make the announcement about reopening the investigation.
Yeah, that’s probably right. But the fact that he then didn’t make Trump’s investigation public is even worse. But he did say, as Goat mentioned, he didn’t think he was going to win. Same with Obama, who should have blown the Russian interference wide open, regardless of what Mitch threatened.

From RealClear Politics April 2017
Tapper reacts to poll:"Fake news" that Obama Admin spied on Trump campaign

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT