ADVERTISEMENT

Crean should be considered for dismissal

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will be both be gone in 2 years time.
Based on what? Glass is really, really well liked by the higher ups. He's raising a ton of money, and the Trustees see that, so he ain't going anywhere. Who's going to fire him? McRobbie doesn't really get involved in athletics.

Now Crean? Maybe.

Exactly. maybe if he ditched the tanning bed, nerd glasses, got some properly fitting pants and didn't act like a ADD spaz after games, his lousy coaching would be more tolerated.
Are you 8 years old? The big reason you're getting so much grief is because of the childish insults and your immaturity. Most people here agree Crean is on thin ice.

The nerd stuff you keep going back to is strange. So he wears glasses...it's not 1983.

The Board of Trustees mainly focuses on academic issues. Give it up.
riddle me this: who is in charge of Glass - just the President? BOT??? who?

someone is above him and allowing him to make incredibly poor decisions. and your personal attacks make you look infantile

Reactions: silvercamaro
Doesn't really matter. It seems every thread eventually heads to this.

heads to what? comments about bad leadership, missed or barely made tournaments? are those things not happening> what the hell else would an IU board talk about?

Do you really believe this?

What if we land some combo of Alkins, Leaf, and Maker?

ya, news like this makes Crean seem more stable in his job. we're a shoo in for best class ever. thank god crean can always fall back on building great teams and hanging banners when crap like this goes down. AYFKM? lol

Fair enough. That's about where I am, too.

I would add that he needs to have a solid recruiting class lined up because we are going to lose a LOT of production after this season. He needs at least one McD All American to prove that he can sustain momentum.

I don't care about off court embarrassments because I think so much of it is beyond his control.

ya, poor Martyr Tom. He's too pure and good for this world. stop, just stop. you are rooting all wrong! it's terrible. you are so bad at this. lol

I just keep coming back to this basic fact:

Only at IU would a coach who has a team ranked anywhere from #4 to #14 in the preseason be considered "on thin ice" because a couple of his players got an alcohol possession citation. Not only that, but there are people here calling for the AD, the President, and the BoT t be fired as well! It is mind-boggling.

I would like to believe that this is all due to the perception of underperformance *on the court* over the last several years. That would at least make logical sense. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that folks like IUScott (no offense to him) are truly representative of our fanbase. We actually believe our own mythology--that our program must a) always contend for B1G titles and Natty Champy's, b) always be "more Catholic than the Pope" when it comes to NCAA rules, c) have a God-Emperor coach who is the smartest guy in the room, and d) only accept players who are as pure as the driven snow.

someone is above him and allowing him to make incredibly poor decisions. and your personal attacks make you look infantile

His incredibly poor decisions have IU athletics turning a profit. He just signed a top 5 deal with Adidas, the renovations to Memorial Stadium look great, they put in the largest weight room in the NCAA, Cook Hall has been built, Assembly Hall is about to get a facelift, the new baseball/softball complex is only 2 years old.
IU baseball is the best it has ever been, IU mens soccer is the favorite to win the B1G again this year. Wilson looked like IU was moving towards a bowl game last year until Sudfeld's injury.

IU basketball has been a dumpster fire the past few seasons, but IU athletics isn't just basketball.

ya, poor Martyr Tom. He's too pure and good for this world. stop, just stop. you are rooting all wrong! it's terrible. you are so bad at this. lol

What on earth are you talking about?

This reads like something scribbled on a candy wrapper and shoved through the glass at a mental facility.

His incredibly poor decisions have IU athletics turning a profit. He just signed a top 5 deal with Adidas, the renovations to Memorial Stadium look great, they put in the largest weight room in the NCAA, Cook Hall has been built, Assembly Hall is about to get a facelift, the new baseball/softball complex is only 2 years old.
IU baseball is the best it has ever been, IU mens soccer is the favorite to win the B1G again this year. Wilson looked like IU was moving towards a bowl game last year until Sudfeld's injury.

IU basketball has been a dumpster fire the past few seasons, but IU athletics isn't just basketball.

that's all fine and good - he's a good fund raiser but horrible at hiring coaches and negotiating contracts. oh, and he's excellent at spending other peoples money.

What on earth are you talking about?

This reads like something scribbled on a candy wrapper and shoved through the glass at a mental facility.

says the man who wrote this:

"There is not a program in the country that could withstand the combined impact of a hostile local police department and a fanbase that turns on any player who falls short of sainthood.

I feel terrible for Crean, the players, and their parents.

The only difference between IU and other programs is that we apparently don't have the local chief on speed dial"

LOVE IT! hahahaha. now the po po is out to get TOM.

Only at IU would a coach who has a team ranked anywhere from #4 to #14 in the preseason be considered "on thin ice" because a couple of his players got an alcohol possession citation. Not only that, but there are people here calling for the AD, the President, and the BoT t be fired as well! It is mind-boggling.

I would like to believe that this is all due to the perception of underperformance *on the court* over the last several years. That would at least make logical sense. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that folks like IUScott (no offense to him) are truly representative of our fanbase. We actually believe our own mythology--that our program must a) always contend for B1G titles and Natty Champy's, b) always be "more Catholic than the Pope" when it comes to NCAA rules, c) have a God-Emperor coach who is the smartest guy in the room, and d) only accept players who are as pure as the driven snow.

no, he's on thin ice because he missed and barely made the last two tourneys.

sweeet! i love this angle: IU was never good so Crean is good enough.

takes a lot of rationalizing to be a crean guy, huh?

Again, I would be happy to have a conversation with you, but first you're going to have to get your emotions under control and post like a sane person. Otherwise, you join Laffy and a select few others on the old Ignore list!

Where did he personally attack you just saying your comments make you look childish and 99% of the people on here agrees with him

that sounds pretty good to me because that is the kind of program I want at IU and not the win at cost attitude of some people.

Again, I would be happy to have a conversation with you, but first you're going to have to get your emotions under control and post like a sane person.

whaaa? you are blaming this on hostile local police but are asking me to control my emotions?

And you are getting worked up because i am writing "hahahahahahahaha" after you write crazy stuff?

what are you talking about?

And when he makes the tournament this year, he will have made 4 out of the last 5. Will that be good enough for you? How about 5 out of 6? Just curious about where the line falls in your mind.

As for the bolded part below, I literally have no idea how you could have read my post and come to that conclusion.

I'm not a "Crean guy," nor am I rationalizing anything. Not every fan is some cartoonish version of "Fire Crean Now!" or "Crean is the greatest coach evah!" Most reasonable people fall somewhere in the middle.

Are you reasonable, or are you a cartoon?

I know--you've been very clear and consistent about that.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you're going to be sorely disappointed. The mythical program that I described not only never existed, it can not ever exist in reality.

that sounds pretty good to me because that is the kind of program I want at IU and not the win at cost attitude of some people.

Last edited:
And when he makes the tournament this year, he will have made 4 out of the last 5. Will that be good enough for you? How about 5 out of 6? Just curious about where the line falls in your mind.

As for the bolded part below, I literally have no idea how you could have read my post and come to that conclusion.

I'm not a "Crean guy," nor am I rationalizing anything. Not every person is some cartoonish version of "Fire Crean Now!" or "Crean is the greatest coach evah!" Most reasonable people fall somewhere in the middle.

Are you reasonable, or are you a cartoon?

let's see:

• he's never made more than 3 NCAAs in a row
  • and he'd done that exactly once
  • he's made 8 of 16 for his career
  • he's then lost the first game 4 of 8 times

no, you are rationalizing. quite a bit. Today alone you've said local police are out to get him; and IU fans' hate for him is hurting program (no mention of Marquette fan hating him or lack of success relative to salary/ resources but okay); and IU has actually never been good and paying top 10 money for top 50 results is to be expected; and he's about to completely change what he has been for 16 years and make the tourney every year.

what did i miss? please stop. you are probably a good dude but you are really, really bad at this posting thing.

I know--you've been very clear and consistent about that.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you're going to be sorely disappointed. The mythical program that I described not only never existed, it can not ever exist in reality.

hey, we don't need final fours every year. being ranked in the top 25 on the reg after paying top 10 salary seems fair enough. and achievable.

but again -- twist my words or do what you gotta do to rationalize crean earning his keep.

hey, we don't need final fours every year. being ranked in the top 25 on the reg after paying top 10 salary seems fair enough. and achievable.

but again -- twist my words or do what you gotta do to rationalize crean earning his keep.
I think he was responding to me because I don't want kids here who are drinking and doing drugs as well that I am not willing to bring in known cheaters just to win games.

If a coach lost part of his salary for every time a kid gets in trouble that might be enough to stop this stupidity. Crean would not want to see his pay cut $100,000 for each alcohol or drug offense. I realize that Crean's contract is what it is currently but something Fred Glass needs to consider for his future contract with him.

Reactions: hoosier48
Ok--better! You're making progress.

Now, to address your points:

1) I am not nor have I ever been a "Crean guy." But I also recognize the stupidity of saying he should be fired 10 weeks from the start of what could be a very special season.

2) I have not said "local police are out to get him." I have speculated that the relationship between IU and the local police is not where it needs to be. I think that is plainly evident. It is in the program's best interests to fix it, quickly.

3) I couldn't conceivably care less what Marquette fans think of our coach. He left them. I wouldn't expect them to have the warm and fuzzies for him.

4) I have never said IU "has actually never been good." In fact, I said "IU is a very, very good program. One of the best in the country."

5) I have never addressed Crean's salary because I don't care about his salary.

6) Crean has demonstrated that, given the right players and circumstances, he is capable of making a Final Four, winning the B1G outright, and having a #1 ranked team. Those are indisputable facts.

7) I do not believe "most IU fans" hate Crean. I do think that the culture of unrealistic expectations around IU basketball is a net negative and makes *any* coach's job more difficult.

let's see:

• he's never made more than 3 NCAAs in a row
  • and he'd done that exactly once
  • he's made 8 of 16 for his career
  • he's then lost the first game 4 of 8 times

no, you are rationalizing. quite a bit. Today alone you've said local police are out to get him; and IU fans' hate for him is hurting program (no mention of Marquette fan hating him or lack of success relative to salary/ resources but okay); and IU has actually never been good and paying top 10 money for top 50 results is to be expected; and he's about to completely change what he has been for 16 years and make the tourney every year.

what did i miss? please stop. you are probably a good dude but you are really, really bad at this posting thing.

Reactions: stollcpa and yeard

1) I am not nor have I ever been a "Crean guy." But I also recognize the stupidity of saying he should be fired 10 weeks from the start of what could be a very special season.

2) I have not said "local police are out to get him." I have speculated that the relationship between IU and the local police is not where it needs to be. I think that is plainly evident. It is in the program's best interests to fix it, quickly.

3) I couldn't conceivably care less what Marquette fans think of our coach. He left them. I wouldn't expect them to have the warm and fuzzies for him.

4) I have never said IU "has actually never been good." In fact, I said "IU is a very, very good program. One of the best in the country."

6) Crean has demonstrated that, given the right players and circumstances, he is capable of making a Final Four, winning the B1G outright, and having a #1 ranked team. Those are indisputable facts.

7) I do not believe "most IU fans" hate Crean. I do think that the culture of unrealistic expectations around IU basketball is a net negative and makes *any* coach's job more difficult.

hahahahahaha! so no police conspiracy but IU needs to fix the relationship with Bloomington PD? how would you know? because these cops are doing their jobs? i think campus cops busted Devin with the weed. do we need to fix that relationship too?

nothing is ever Martyr Tom's fault with some of you. Everyone is out to get him. Police, fans, media, etc. Even other coaches are unfair in the way they score more points when they play him. love # 6. Mike Davis likes it too.

you folks will come around, but sooner or later it's just not worth it. folks get fired all the time and people say, "good guy, bad at job." it happens. not sure why you are fighting it so much (other than you are probably paid by IU or Crean's PR firm).

I always love this. It's a Peegs.com staple at this point.

I AM DISAPPOINTED IN THE BASKETBALL PROGRAM SO LET'S FIRE THE TRUSTEES AND PRESIDENT OF A MAJOR ACADEMIC INSTITUTION BECAUSE BASKETBALL IS CLEARLY THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!
Humble apology...it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Of course its over the top. Geesh

Where does IU's relationship with local police "need to be"? How should it be "fixed"?

I have never had a drink. Never interested me. But isn't a citation for underage possession of alcohol about the same as a speeding ticket?

I'm angry! This latest offense personally hurt my feelings, and since IU BB is responsible for my self-image and self-worth, I blame everyone... from the entire university to everything associated with IU athletics... including all fans. Therefore, to make me feel better, I DEMAND that Indiana University and all it's campuses close their doors... forever! Sell the property off and erect State Parks... in MY NAME! After doing this, I will feel better about myself and I will be able leave my parent's basement and go outside again, with my head held high, knowing that everyone listens to my selfish whining and ignorant opinions and I will once again be able to listen to IU sports becau.... oh, wait. Never mind.

Personal attacks? You just called Crean a nerd in multiple posts, which has absolutely nothing to do with his coaching ability. Me pointing out that your posts are immature is not a personal attack.

Humble apology...it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Of course its over the top. Geesh
Sorry, but that has been seriously suggested here numerous times. It's hard to tell when people are actually joking.

that's all fine and good - he's a good fund raiser but horrible at hiring coaches and negotiating contracts. oh, and he's excellent at spending other peoples money.
Well, donations keep going up. Take it up with the big donors if you are unhappy.

Trying to "initiate change" on peegs.com isn't going to do it though.

Well, donations keep going up. Take it up with the big donors if you are unhappy.

Trying to "initiate change" on peegs.com isn't going to do it though.

Cuban really helped the balance sheet. It's not surprising that donations are good two years after a Big Ten title? It is amazing how IU fans spent during Davis and Sampson years too. Quite a brand. But Glass is paid to wonder how much more IU could make if it won. did you know that? he does.

Cuban really helped the balance sheet. It's not surprising that donations are good two years after a Big Ten title? It is amazing how IU fans spent during Davis and Sampson years too. Quite a brand. But Glass is paid to wonder how much more IU could make if it won. did you know that? he does.
Maybe the big donors are not worried about just winning and losing and don't get bent out of shape like the regular fans do. They probably have more important things in their life beside whether the basketball team is meeting every ones expectations on the court.

What? The $5 mil that Cuban just donated was, to my knowledge, the first time he's ever given to the IUAD. He usually just gave money to the rugby club because he was pissed at the NCAA.

We've been in the black every year Glass has been here after years of being in the red, and set donation records each of the last two years. Glass has flaws, but he can raise money.

What? The $5 mil that Cuban just donated was, to my knowledge, the first time he's ever given to the IUAD. He usually just gave money to the rugby club because he was pissed at the NCAA.

We've been in the black every year Glass has been here after years of being in the red, and set donation records each of the last two years. Glass has flaws, but he can raise money.

Yes! He sees the potential in a winning men's college basketball program! that explains his veiled threats after last year.

Glass has raised some giod coin; however, the biggest reason IU is in the black is because of the BTN, and he had nothing to do with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT