ADVERTISEMENT

Crean gets big win due to DEFLECTIONS..

jimmygoiu

All-American
Sep 5, 2001
Georgia upsets Auburn 65-55, up to 3-10 in the league. Per Crean

"Toumani had 19 deflections for the game, Jordan Harris had 11—that's an active defense," Crean said. "A week ago against South Carolina, I said we never got in that fight. We had to establish toughness tonight. We had to establish that we were going to fight, because we know Auburn does."

2players with 30 deflections in one game. Who is this man's statistician? He loves deflections, so I believe the stats guys just make up a number and give it to him. I rewatched the IU game, and we did not have near 30 deflections as a team, and neither did Crean's teams at IU. What counts as a deflection in the stat world? Any help is appreciated.

jTjl_mUz.jpeg

crean4.jpg

Had to love the “even a ball tipped YET the offense retains possession is a deflection”. Wtf?!?!?

Gawd I don’t miss the orange man.
He didn't come up with that stat. It was a Hubie Brown thing, one that Pitino (and many others) borrowed. All teams track something similar though they may use different terminology. It was meant to be used as a gauge for defensive involvement which is why many pressing defenses use it. Crean doesn't press ..

Reactions: Radio Zero
Had to love the “even a ball tipped YET the offense retains possession is a deflection”. Wtf?!?!?

Gawd I don’t miss the orange man.
If a player on the 3 pt line is receiving a pass and a defensive player deflects the ball so the guy can't shoot. Then that is an example of a deflection being a good thing even if the offensive team keeps possession. I think a kicked ball when there is an entry pass is also a great play because the ball didn't get down low which is what the offensive team wanted to do. So deflections can be a good thing. But they are not the main point of defense.

If a player on the 3 pt line is receiving a pass and a defensive player deflects the ball so the guy can't shoot. Then that is an example of a deflection being a good thing even if the offensive team keeps possession. I think a kicked ball when there is an entry pass is also a great play because the ball didn't get down low which is what the offensive team wanted to do. So deflections can be a good thing. But they are not the main point of defense.
Lol....clueless as always.

Georgia is the only division one team to blow two 20 point leads this season. I don’t miss him.

Reactions: 76-1

What if the player on the 3 point line is Justin Smith? Teams leave him open a lot.

"Toumani had 19 deflections for the game, Jordan Harris had 11—that's an active defense," Crean said. "A week ago against South Carolina, I said we never got in that fight. We had to establish toughness tonight. We had to establish that we were going to fight, because we know Auburn does."

2players with 30 deflections in one game. Who is this man's statistician? He loves deflections, so I believe the stats guys just make up a number and give it to him. I rewatched the IU game, and we did not have near 30 deflections as a team, and neither did Crean's teams at IU. What counts as a deflection in the stat world? Any help is appreciated.

From a statistical standpoint this almost reminds me of tackling statistics from Pro Football Years ago. If a team had a player who was a multi time All Pro or someone they wanted to promote, they would adjust the tackling statistics after reviewing the game film. So if the game statistician credited a guy with 5 tackles in the game, after reviewing the film the Coaches would discover he had 5 more tackles than he was credited with and his statistic would be adjusted upward.

Crean will probably reach the point where he will pass on a 20 point per game recruit in favor of a recruit who averaged 15 deflections per game.

Reactions: mk23
Why do you dipchits so soundly discount deflections?

Leads to steals, turnovers, keeping guys active and alert on defense etc...

Its not the most telling stat, but isn’t exactly worthless either...

And two big ten titles. Besides, doesn’t everyone cry abt miller flailing about bc he’s playing w another coach’s players?

A big ten title with 2 of the top 4 players in that year’s nba draft and needed one of them to hit a 3 to escape the round of 32.

Another with 4 nba players that lost by 20+ in the Sweet 16. A 5 seed as a big ten champ, to demonstrate the strength of the conference that year.

The coach who left IU with a borderline probation level APR.

The coach whose erratic recruiting led to annual “Creaning” promoting IU to create the Student Bill of Rights.

Perhaps we should hang a banner and hand out rings for such amazing accomplishments, he should understand the gesture.

Reactions: hondo314
Why do you dipchits so soundly discount deflections?

Leads to steals, turnovers, keeping guys active and alert on defense etc...

Its not the most telling stat, but isn’t exactly worthless either...

I agree with you on the above "legitimate" deflections, of which there are about 15-20 in an entire game. Crean takes this to ridiculous extremes, claiming 60-70 per game. Rewatch a game and count the number of legit deflections. I think you will agree that Crean is just making up the stats. His teams are well below average defensively, yet he continues to claim world record deflections numbers.

Reactions: Krafty97grad
I agree with you on the above "legitimate" deflections, of which there are about 15-20 in an entire game. Crean takes this to ridiculous extremes, claiming 60-70 per game. Rewatch a game and count the number of legit deflections. I think you will agree that Crean is just making up the stats. His teams are well below average defensively, yet he continues to claim world record deflections numbers.

Are you talking about tipped passes or the deflection stat?

In one possession you could tip a pass, tip a dribble, make a dribbler pick up the ball, block a shot, and get a shot clock violation .. and that possession is worth 10 total team deflections. 5 for the shot clock, 2 for the block, 1 each for everything else.

There's 70 possessions a game. 35 deflections is the goal according to Pitino and Brown.

Last edited:

Ok, so isn’t one of the premises to have your hands up on defense? I would think deflections are a bi-product if that.

Last edited:
A big ten title with 2 of the top 4 players in that year’s nba draft and needed one of them to hit a 3 to escape the round of 32.

Another with 4 nba players that lost by 20+ in the Sweet 16. A 5 seed as a big ten champ, to demonstrate the strength of the conference that year.

The coach who left IU with a borderline probation level APR.

The coach whose erratic recruiting led to annual “Creaning” promoting IU to create the Student Bill of Rights.

Perhaps we should hang a banner and hand out rings for such amazing accomplishments, he should understand the gesture.

He left IU a disaster.....and we are going backward from that.

Ring me up when Archie wins 2 outright BTTs. He’s got a long way to go just to get to Crean level, which wasn’t good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT