ADVERTISEMENT

Cream to Mizzou Rumor

sad-missouri-fan-during-florida-game.gif

She just heard about the Tom Crean rumor

Reactions: Seyton and IU40IU
Ha! Actually, she's crying over the state of our program for the last 4 years. Understand why you guys want him out, but he would be a significant upgrade for us. Change of scenery with less pressure would likely help him.
I really hopes it happens for you and us. I think he could do pretty well at Missouri and if he can get you guys into the tournament then you will be happy.

I really hopes it happens for you and us. I think he could do pretty well at Missouri and if he can get you guys into the tournament then you will be happy.
He can't do well at IU with all of the inherent advantages that the job offers but he can do well at a place like Mizzou, where none of that exists? Other than lowered expectations, why do you think he'd do well?

He can't do well at IU with all of the inherent advantages that the job offers but he can do well at a place like Mizzou, where none of that exists? Other than lowered expectations, why do you think he'd do well?
Less pressure and lowered expectations and if he can get them to the tournament most of the time he would be loved. Also the SEC besides UF and UK is not very impressive so there is a chance to finish pretty high. He is not good enough of a coach for IU but I feel like he is better than he is given credit for. He did win two conference championships and one was when the big ten was as good as it has been in years.

Less pressure and lowered expectations and if he can get them to the tournament most of the time he would be loved. Also the SEC besides UF and UK is not very impressive so there is a chance to finish pretty high. He is not good enough of a coach for IU but I feel like he is better than he is given credit for. He did win two conference championships and one was when the big ten was as good as it has been in years.
So, taking a major leaguer and sending him back to AA ball will help his batting average improve? I guess that's likely true, but those teams can't get to the World Series, which is where the logic breaks down and leaves schools like Mizzou searching for a better alternative than Crean.

So, taking a major leaguer and sending him back to AA ball will help his batting average improve? I guess that's likely true, but those teams can't get to the World Series, which is where the logic breaks down and leaves schools like Mizzou searching for a better alternative than Crean.
Missouri has not ever been to the world series or more importantly the final four so that is probably not their expectations.

Missouri has not ever been to the world series or more importantly the final four so that is probably not their expectations.
But if their expectations involve competing in the SEC and making the NCAA tournament, wouldn't the choice of Crean, given his spotty record of accomplishing both at Indiana, give Mizzou real pause that he wouldn't be the guy to get them there? Even at IU, it has been just as likely that he wouldn't make the tournament as it has been that he would. The odds of improving or even maintaining that record at Mizzou would be much less than at IU.

Reactions: Seyton
Rather it's Indiana or Missouri you have to make adjustments and Crean has shown an inablity to do that You are delusional. And now that he has been exposed on a national level. I doubt he will ever succeed.

But if their expectations involve competing in the SEC and making the NCAA tournament, wouldn't the choice of Crean, given his spotty record of accomplishing both at Indiana, give Mizzou real pause that he wouldn't be the guy to get them there? Even at IU, it has been just as likely that he wouldn't make the tournament as it has been that he would. The odds of improving or even maintaining that record at Mizzou would be much less than at IU.

Look at it through a different lens. MIZZOU's program is on the trash heap right now. Crean has turned around 2 program in IU and Marq. I realize that he hasn't taken IU to the heights you desire. But if Crean can get MIZZOU back to the dance in a few years, then MIZZOU will worry about his potential 'upside limitations' after a few years of being relevant again. (Just as IU is doing now.)

Look at it through a different lens. MIZZOU's program is on the trash heap right now. Crean has turned around 2 program in IU and Marq. I realize that he hasn't taken IU to the heights you desire. But if Crean can get MIZZOU back to the dance in a few years, then MIZZOU will worry about his potential 'upside limitations' after a few years of being relevant again. (Just as IU is doing now.)
I'm not at all sure Crean could or would get Mizzou back to the dance in a few years. In his 9th year, he won't be able to get iu there.

I'm not at all sure Crean could or would get Mizzou back to the dance in a few years. In his 9th year, he won't be able to get iu there.

I am not here to tell IU fans how to judge a coach. But MIZZOU has not won a conference title in 23 years. And if Crean won 2 in a 5 year span, well, you know what I'd be doing....

2420708486_36aec7f1a2_o.gif

Reactions: ValleyRanchTiger
I am not here to tell IU fans how to judge a coach. But MIZZOU has not won a conference title in 23 years. And if Crean won 2 in a 5 year span, well, you know what I'd be doing....

2420708486_36aec7f1a2_o.gif
Don't listen to some of the guys on here. Crean is a good coach who could do well at Missouri. He is just not good enough to help IU get back to being elite.

I think Missouri certainly has a better pedigree than that. I would think they expect to be ranked and make the tournament virtually every year. I am surprised people think otherwise. Maybe I have an inflated view of Missouri but I thought their program, historically, has been better than the expectations you allude to.

I respect what @ValleyRanchTiger and @ski-tiger are saying, especially since they are Tiger fans, but I think that is a bit short sighted. There are likely better alternatives than Crean. Once a coach is hired it's not that easy to get rid of him. Yes, he'll get you off of the trash heap but that just perpetuates his stay. So will the high part of his uneven seasons and as we know from his time here, there will be some good seasons sprinkled in during his tenure. If the intent is to ride him just long enough to get off the trash heap and then get rid of him... I just don't think it will be that easy.

In the end I think a program like Missouri would get stuck with him just like they got stuck with their recent coaches and just like we got stuck with... wait - this is starting to sound familiar...

Last edited:
I think Missouri certainly has a better pedigree than that. I would think they expect to be ranked and make the tournament virtually every year. I am surprised people think otherwise. Maybe I have an inflated view of Missouri but I thought their program, historically, has been better than the expectations you allude to.
In another thread a Missouri fan says they would love to have Crean and said expectations there is not that great. they have not won the conference in 23 years and if Crean could win a couple in 5 years they would love that.

In another thread a Missouri fan says they would love to have Crean and said expectations there is not that great. they have not won the conference in 23 years and if Crean could win a couple in 5 years they would love that.

In fairness, I added a lot to my original post after you responded to it.

What I would say, though, is that while what you say is true with regard to winning a couple of conference championships, I would guess their expectations would get recalibrated just like they did here and then the wild swings from season to season wouldn't be welcomed.

Missouri, despite their recent troubles, has never struck me as the kind of program that would want or tolerate that.

You should post on the premie.

As long as Missouri is playing in a conference with UK (previously Kansas), the liklihood of Crean taking them to a Conference Title for the next 23 years is pretty low. At least he would get his home and home with UK and maybe IU could get the UK game back on the schedule in Indy.

@Seyton

I can give you my perspective as a MIZZOU fan. Crean would become the 2nd best coach MIZZOU has ever had the minute he shows up on campus. The glory years of MIZZOU basketball were the 20 years from 1975-1994. In that time:

8 Conference Championships (bolstered by 4 in a row)
5 Sweet 16s (2 E8s) (No Final Fours)

Since that time:

0 conference championships
11 NCAA appearances
2 Elite 8s

So if I had a reasonable wish for future MIZZOU basketball:

Make the tournament nearly every year (the occasional rebuilding year miss is ok)
Win the SEC every 4/5 years (knowing there is a certian UK team to beat)
Advance to the S16 in 2 of every 5 years or so
Get to a Final Four!!!

Now, I realize that IU fans would look down on those expectations. But MIZZOU is coming from a difference place. We have normally been a respected program that rises high on occasion and/or goes on an NCAA run.

Reactions: ValleyRanchTiger
@Seyton

I can give you my perspective as a MIZZOU fan. Crean would become the 2nd best coach MIZZOU has ever had the minute he shows up on campus. The glory years of MIZZOU basketball were the 20 years from 1975-1994. In that time:

8 Conference Championships (bolstered by 4 in a row)
5 Sweet 16s (2 E8s) (No Final Fours)

Since that time:

0 conference championships
11 NCAA appearances
2 Elite 8s

So if I had a reasonable wish for future MIZZOU basketball:

Make the tournament nearly every year (the occasional rebuilding year miss is ok)
Win the SEC every 4/5 years (knowing there is a certian UK team to beat)
Advance to the S16 in 2 of every 5 years or so
Get to a Final Four!!!

Now, I realize that IU fans would look down on those expectations. But MIZZOU is coming from a difference place. We have normally been a respected program that rises high on occasion and/or goes on an NCAA run.

Thank you for that post. I'll certainly defer to you on the subject. It's interesting that our programs aren't too different since 1994. What our fan base wants and what it should expect - right now - are probably two different things in as much as I think we would need to work our way up the ladder again as to those wants/expectations.

The problem is if CTC gets fired, who could the admin get to replace him? Very unlikely to be better.

Ok, what do people base this on? Seriously, is it just a feeling?

Maybe it really was the situation 9 years ago with all the sanctions and bad publicity. Maybe they hired Crean because they needed the "clean" hire and hoped he would end up being a home run instead of going for the home run first and foremost.

The situation is different now and other coaches have seen that even a coach with the inconsistency of Crean can still pull All Americans and top 50-100 players pretty consistently at IU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT