ADVERTISEMENT

Conner Essegian enters portal,

We have a lot of slots to fill. He got recruited over and it had an effect. Might be worth it if he wants to come.

Reactions: ufo33
Injury definitely impacted him this year. Shot 30% from three compared to 36% last season.

But why come here?
A coach on the hot seat, writers calling for his firing, upset fans, unlikely to be more than mediocre, no idea who else might come or how you would be used?
NIL only?
A roster full of players who can't make 3's means playing time.

I am hoping AJ Storr from Wisky hits the portal. He would be a major addition.
I’m still not sure what to make of him. Wildly inconsistent. Looks like Batman one game. The joker the next. Damn near single-handedly cost them the tourney game (and me a fair chunk on DraftKings).

I am hoping AJ Storr from Wisky hits the portal. He would be a major addition.
IU is not a destination spot for guys in the portal. They have all caught on to the program’s lack of stability and a guy like Storr would have his pick of much better programs out there with attractive NIL packages. Woodson’s program is washed up and the kids all know it.

I don't get all this "IU needs to sign [portal player] now." Like oody has some secret sauce to land ... well, anyone. IU's NIL is not unlimited.

On that note, given the trajectory of the program and its shitty coach, the Hoosiers won't be in the running for anyone ... unless they offer far above market value.

He’d look good sitting next to Leal.. how many stars did he have coming out of high school?
He was a 3* but stars are overrated and people like you that live off of how many stars a kid has is why this program is in the condition it’s in. If you can shoot, play solid defense and have a good basketball IQ then I can care less that some jackass gave you 3* instead os 5. How many 4-5* players do we have that can’t shoot or play defense.

He was a 3* but stars are overrated and people like you that live off of how many stars a kid has is why this program is in the condition it’s in. If you can shoot, play solid defense and have a good basketball IQ then I can care less that some jackass gave you 3* instead os 5. How many 4-5* players do we have that can’t shoot or play defense.
Pretty sure you’ve missed the OP’s point. It’s Woody and his boys that seem to think it’s all about the stars. Not Ulrey.

Reactions: DANC and z_one
This IU staff doesn't care about IQ hence the current roster.

Last edited:
My bet is Purdue. Maybe Michigan now. He went to Central Noble. But he’s a Ft Wayne kid.

He’d be Miller Kopp at IU, without TJD kicking it to him, and without the solid defense.

I’ve watched, and already forgotten about, well over 30 guards that we need more than Essegian, just in the NCAA and NIT this year.

And the game of Internet fantasy college basketball roster building begins... Any bets on the number of commitments by end April?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
My bet is Purdue. Maybe Michigan now. He went to Central Noble. But he’s a Ft Wayne kid.

He’d be Miller Kopp at IU, without TJD kicking it to him, and without the solid defense.

I’ve watched, and already forgotten about, well over 30 guards that we need more than Essegian, just in the NCAA and NIT this year.

Purdue doesn't have the space for any portal guys this year. Michigan could be a good spot though for sure. So would IU with its needs and space available.

Purdue doesn't have the space for any portal guys this year. Michigan could be a good spot though for sure. So would IU with its needs and space available.
I'll be surprised if they don't have portal activity at the end of their season. You're no more immune to it than any other successful program right now...and pretty much everyone sees at least one or two portal defections every year.

Purdue has zero room for him unless he wants to walk on. Hell Purdue is going to have to cut a kid just to make room for their current incoming class.

Have heard he was a Michigan fan growing up and could be enticed by May. I would think ND/Butler make more sense. Could go to Ball State or one of the MAC schools and be a star.

IU needs depth so he's certainly a potential plug and play piece, but we already have enough bad shooters and poor defenders on the roster. Essegian had a horrible decline this season. That's alarming.

I'll be surprised if they don't have portal activity at the end of their season. You're no more immune to it than any other successful program right now...and pretty much everyone sees at least one or two portal defections every year.
Already lamented on it, any portal defections from Purdue will be to make room for their incoming 6 man class. They're still oversigned by 1.

IU is not a destination spot for guys in the portal. They have all caught on to the program’s lack of stability and a guy like Storr would have his pick of much better programs out there with attractive NIL packages. Woodson’s program is washed up and the kids all know it.
You're kind wrong here. Lots of portal guys just want more money and IU has more money than most. They don't give two shits about the program, coach or winning.

Pay doesn’t need anymore guards. If they take a portal kid it will be Humrichous from Evansville. 6’9 shooter

Conner Essegian just entered the portal. Let's get this solid 3pt shooting Indiana kid!
The bigger question is why would a good 3 point shooter transfer to a School that runs an Offense that averages less than 15 attempts in a game? There are teams out there that get that many attempts in a half.

He had a knee injury that set him back at the beginning of the season. Brian Walsh has a relationship with him. With 7 scholarships we need to go after him. We need 4 or 5 more bonified 3 point shooters. He could be a rotation guy.

The stories I read about the situation indicated it was a back injury. Nothing specific stated, just something of a nagging nature.

It appears to me that the falling out at Wisconsin was due to several factors. First, he struggled from 3 the last 10 games of his freshman season. Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps more defensive attention due to the success he had experienced.

Second, he had the nagging back injury that affected him this year. In the meanwhile, Wisconsin had several other wings who apparently showed they could shoot the 3. Chief among them were Klesmitt at nearly 40% and Blackwell at over 45%.

Finally, Gard complained about his D. IMO, had he been shooting 40% rather than 30% on 3s not much would have been said about his D.

I still like him as an Indiana portal candidate. Although he struggled from 3s this year he still shot nearly 57% on 2s and nearly 91% on FTs. Also, in HS, he was consistently a 40-43% 3 point shooter in his 4 years there, and hit a good % on 2s. Also, all indications are that he has a solid team-oriented approach. He didn't publicly bitch about his situation this year, and Wisconsin fans are sorry to see him go. Finally, and this is easily the biggest reason: Woodson. He's 'reached out' to maybe 12 portal additions this year, and we have 1 visit scheduled---from an Indiana kid from EKU. It might be that we could get this kid without Woody having to work too hard, he might stick around 1 more year for the new coach, and he already knows how to play the game correctly from his HS days and his time at Wisconsin.

Reactions: IU2Bgood
I don't get all this "IU needs to sign [portal player] now." Like oody has some secret sauce to land ... well, anyone. IU's NIL is not unlimited.

On that note, given the trajectory of the program and its shitty coach, the Hoosiers won't be in the running for anyone ... unless they offer far above market value.
Yes, buying market share is an often used successful business tool.

The stories I read about the situation indicated it was a back injury. Nothing specific stated, just something of a nagging nature.

It appears to me that the falling out at Wisconsin was due to several factors. First, he struggled from 3 the last 10 games of his freshman season. Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps more defensive attention due to the success he had experienced.

Second, he had the nagging back injury that affected him this year. In the meanwhile, Wisconsin had several other wings who apparently showed they could shoot the 3. Chief among them were Klesmitt at nearly 40% and Blackwell at over 45%.

Finally, Gard complained about his D. IMO, had he been shooting 40% rather than 30% on 3s not much would have been said about his D.

I still like him as an Indiana portal candidate. Although he struggled from 3s this year he still shot nearly 57% on 2s and nearly 91% on FTs. Also, in HS, he was consistently a 40-43% 3 point shooter in his 4 years there, and hit a good % on 2s. Also, all indications are that he has a solid team-oriented approach. He didn't publicly bitch about his situation this year, and Wisconsin fans are sorry to see him go. Finally, and this is easily the biggest reason: Woodson. He's 'reached out' to maybe 12 portal additions this year, and we have 1 visit scheduled---from an Indiana kid from EKU. It might be that we could get this kid without Woody having to work too hard, he might stick around 1 more year for the new coach, and he already knows how to play the game correctly from his HS days and his time at Wisconsin.
Nagging back injury? Pass. How many injuries have we dealt with the past two years? Don't bring in more.

I always pay a bit of attention to the Indiana kids when they come to play at TAH. He looked a bit starstruck looking around at the sights. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he contacts IU but I agree with you he is not a top prospect for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT