ADVERTISEMENT

Coming to grips on some things.

IU will miss the tourney but it would give TJD a chance to declare “unfinished business” and come back. Europe can wait. We’d be ranked for the first time in 100 years if he did.
Everyone said the same thing about this year. And the year before. And oh yea, the year before that. I feel sorry for the kid that he made the mistake of coming to IU and staying. How could anyone in good faith advise a high level recruit to come to IU these days?

Everyone said the same thing about this year. And the year before. And oh yea, the year before that. I feel sorry for the kid that he made the mistake of coming to IU and staying. How could anyone in good faith advise a high level recruit to come to IU these days?

sure thing, dude. You aren’t even the same fpeaugh from when Archie sucked. Totally different phrasing, but cool. Not sure you’re gonna find a single IU fan that gives two d*cks about your straw man routine this time @fakefpeaugh

1. Our margin for error is so thin with this team, that Rob Phinisee is legitimately the difference between being an NCAA team and not. We were safely an NCAA team when he played…and we are decidedly NOT an NCAA team without him. Who’d have thunk he’d be the difference.

2. We aren’t going to make the NCAA because we aren’t good enough to win 3+ out of 5 against our remaining schedule.

3. Another year being in this position is depressing.

4. Wyoming is ranked 22nd in the country and a “lock” for the NCAAs. Wy flipping Oming.

5. As it stands today…next year could be worse.

6. Even if we somehow do win 4 more games, including BTT…and do get an at large… we aren’t good enough to do any damage in the tourney.

7. Despite Cavs glowing reviews, and what’s becoming annoying, optimism…our backcourt isn’t capable. We have exactly zero NBA level players on our roster right now.
Amen to #7. Just can't wait for more player interview fun facts from Cav on favorite snack foods or tv shows for Bates and Lander. Yippee

That being said I was one who thought it was time for knight to go and really thought Davis was the wave of the future. He sort of was for two years but boy do I look foolish now.
Again, Mike Davis gave us hope his first couple years when most of his players were trained by Knight. Most of us thought with the more relaxed atmosphere and just because "It's Indiana!", IU was back on it's way to more banners, after all, "Any halfway decent coach can do well in Bloomington with our blue blood tradition" (snicker, snicker). If Davis had the elusive "it" as you and some others initially thought, he wouldn't be at Detroit Mercy today, winning games riding on not the coattails of Knight, but now on those of his talented son.

Reactions: DANC
Again, Mike Davis gave us hope his first couple years when most of his players were trained by Knight. Most of us thought with the more relaxed atmosphere and just because "It's Indiana!", IU was back on it's way to more banners, after all, "Any halfway decent coach can do well in Bloomington with our blue blood tradition" (snicker, snicker). If Davis had the elusive "it" as you and some others initially thought, he wouldn't be at Detroit Mercy today, winning games riding on not the coattails of Knight, but now on those of his talented son.
The Davis situation was tough he took the team to the NCAA the first year so it was going to be pretty hard to cut his loose at that point. Where it all went off the rails was the sampson hire. That was the legit time to get his hire right and I believe we could of had Beilein if we wanted if Herbert did not sitck his two cents. Obviously if we hire Beilein historey is totally different and we probably are talking about a couple of final fours we had made in the past instead of the current mess we are still in. You want to believe it will get fixed but it almost feels like we are simply a cursed program at this point. We have simply wasted to much time and so many years. Sampson set us back at least three years and Archie set us back another four years or at least wasted four years. And yes they were all wasted years under Archie.

The Davis situation was tough he took the team to the NCAA the first year so it was going to be pretty hard to cut his loose at that point. Where it all went off the rails was the sampson hire. That was the legit time to get his hire right and I believe we could of had Beilein if we wanted if Herbert did not sitck his two cents. Obviously if we hire Beilein historey is totally different and we probably are talking about a couple of final fours we had made in the past instead of the current mess we are still in. You want to believe it will get fixed but it almost feels like we are simply a cursed program at this point. We have simply wasted to much time and so many years. Sampson set us back at least three years and Archie set us back another four years or at least wasted four years. And yes they were all wasted years under Archie.

bruh, and you wonder why an established coach wouldn’t touch IU w a 10-foot poop knife? Reread your posts over the last 48 hours. Lots of good points but def a crazy ex vibe. Sheesh

No one likes slipping to the bubble but shitting in your own bed 25 games into a new regime is silly

bruh, and you wonder why an established coach wouldn’t touch IU w a 10-foot poop knife? Reread your posts over the last 48 hours. Lots of good points but def a crazy ex vibe. Sheesh

No one likes slipping to the bubble but shitting in your own bed 25 games into a new regime is silly
How do you know no established coach would touch us with a ten foot pool did we actually try and get any of them? Did we try and get Scott Drew or Nate Oats? Rick Pitino? Are you telling me Iona could get Pitiono but we could not? No we did not want him because well IU wont touch a guy like that. I have read it was Stevens and Woodson second period. I did not read anything that said we even looked at anyone else. When we hired Archie it has been said he was the only one Glass looked at. He did not interview anyone else. So if you do not even attempt to get the big names you have no idea if we could get them or not.

I mean we have Woodson so it is irrelevant now but people always claim nobody wants this job without proof. You will never know unless you try and from what I understand we never really tried.

Reactions: Fpeaugh2
It is not all his fault Woodson really does not run anything to get him shots. I mean tell me what Woodson runs to get Kopp and Stewart three point shots? I sure do not see much.

Woodson's offense is basically the point guard and a post heavy offense. The other stand around because that is what his offense is. Honestly I am not really a big fan of this NBA offense I much prefer sets being run but it is what we have so he better start getting athletic players who can run it.
Another post you are wrong. He runs at least 4-5 plays for Stewart every game. Out of every time out he runs something for both. We do not run an nba offense.

Reactions: bub-rub

Why does anyone have a poop knife?

And, I don't think we were ever not on the bubble, our q1 and q2 record was never good. We have 4 combined wins on q1/q2... FOUR. Syracuse (an 11 seed last year) was 7-8 in q1/q2 games. We are currently 4-9, with a q3 game still on the remaining schedule (Maryland at home).

Best case we end up 8-9, which is solidly in the tourney, but more likely we end up 6-11 or 5-12 in the first 2 quadrants going into the BTT. That's not a tourney team.

Last edited:
Reactions: cshartle123
“We do not run an NBA offense”

Wow
Layups uuughhh I think we need to learn how to make layups!

On offense, the NBA is increasingly driven by data that suggests the two most efficient shots are layups and 3-pointers. That has led to a game that is more open and spaced out and lineups that are increasingly made up of players with 3-point shooting range.

Woodson, who had a reputation as an excellent shooter at Indiana before the advent of the 3-point shot in the college game, never really embraced the 3 as a player. Listed as a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, he made a total of 120 3-pointers in 786 career games, hitting on just 27.1 percent of his attempts. However, the value of the 3 has become much more apparent to him in his time as a coach.

In his press conference, Woodson mentioned his 2012-13 New York Knicks team, which won the Atlantic Division and reached the Eastern Conference semifinals before losing to the Indiana Pacers. With a crew of outside shooters that included Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith, Steve Novak, Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton, the Knicks led the NBA in 3-pointers made (10.9 per game) and attempted (28.9 per game) and finished fifth in 3-point percentage (37.6 percent).

Layups uuughhh I think we need to learn how to make layups!

On offense, the NBA is increasingly driven by data that suggests the two most efficient shots are layups and 3-pointers. That has led to a game that is more open and spaced out and lineups that are increasingly made up of players with 3-point shooting range.

Woodson, who had a reputation as an excellent shooter at Indiana before the advent of the 3-point shot in the college game, never really embraced the 3 as a player. Listed as a 6-foot-5 shooting guard, he made a total of 120 3-pointers in 786 career games, hitting on just 27.1 percent of his attempts. However, the value of the 3 has become much more apparent to him in his time as a coach.

In his press conference, Woodson mentioned his 2012-13 New York Knicks team, which won the Atlantic Division and reached the Eastern Conference semifinals before losing to the Indiana Pacers. With a crew of outside shooters that included Carmelo Anthony, J.R. Smith, Steve Novak, Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton, the Knicks led the NBA in 3-pointers made (10.9 per game) and attempted (28.9 per game) and finished fifth in 3-point percentage (37.6 percent).
This isn’t who we are…yet. We do not run 4 out exclusively. He tries to. That’s why race takes those supposedly Ill advised shots. We simply don’t have enough shooters especially from the 4 spot to run it exclusively. Bottom line is we will eventually be an NBA style team. Guarding multiple spots. Running a wide open shooters game. It will be nice having 6’7” to 6’9” guys knocking down shots. We certainly haven’t had that and that’s what we are missing now.

sure thing, dude. You aren’t even the same fpeaugh from when Archie sucked. Totally different phrasing, but cool. Not sure you’re gonna find a single IU fan that gives two d*cks about your straw man routine this time @fakefpeaugh
Been here for over 20 years kid. You must be new.

Davis recruited and developed those players more than Knight. He wasn’t the ball boy.

Ultimately he wasn’t good enough to remain coach but he should get a ton of credit for the 2002 team. And to this day he’s the 2nd best coach we’ve had since Knight left. Behind Sampson. Davis deserves our respect.

Dumbest post of the year candidate. Great coaches aren’t afraid of high expectations. I can assure you the expectations are a lot higher at UK and they hire top notch coaches. We need to be more like UK and less like Iowa. Having too low of expectations left us with 9 years of Crean.

Reactions: bailey777
Davis recruited and developed those players more than Knight. He wasn’t the ball boy.

Ultimately he wasn’t good enough to remain coach but he should get a ton of credit for the 2002 team. And to this day he’s the 2nd best coach we’ve had since Knight left. Behind Sampson. Davis deserves our respect.
I have made that same argument before but just get shot down and told they are Knight players. But I am pretty sure Jeffries, Hornsby, Newton, Guyton, Leach, and Perry would not have come to IU with out Davis recruiting them for Knight.

Davis was despised by a segment of the fane base and they simply will never give him credit for anything he did and that includes the championship game. Even when we were winning pretty good under him I remember people still trashing him nonstop.

I have made that same argument before but just get shot down and told they are Knight players. But I am pretty sure Jeffries, Hornsby, Newton, Guyton, Leach, and Perry would not have come to IU with out Davis recruiting them for Knight.

Davis was despised by a segment of the fane base and they simply will never give him credit for anything he did and that includes the championship game. Even when we were winning pretty good under him I remember people still trashing him nonstop.
We wouldn’t have that 2002 roster without Davis. We went to the title game in his 2nd season not the first.

Davis was fired because he missed the tournament twice in 6 years. 4-6 was not good enough back then. And his last season we went 19-12 and finished 4th in the Big Ten with the #1 overall SOS in the country and missed the tournament. We were the snub of selection Sunday.

The expectations were just different back then. If Davis has the same set of expectations that our fanbase put on Crean and Archie he’d still be coaching here with his name on the court.

He will be at IU next year. NIL guarantees that. He’s not skilled, and he hasn’t shown that he’s dedicated to his craft to become skilled. He has no option but to return.
Uh, he would be welcome on virtually every NCAA team next year if he opted for the portal.

And, frankly, it would help his game if he didn't have to play center exclusively and play so many minutes.

You are wrong they wouldn't have come without Davis. Wasn't he only here for 1 year before he became HC?

We wouldn’t have that 2002 roster without Davis. We went to the title game in his 2nd season not the first.

Davis was fired because he missed the tournament twice in 6 years. 4-6 was not good enough back then. And his last season we went 19-12 and finished 4th in the Big Ten with the #1 overall SOS in the country and missed the tournament. We were the snub of selection Sunday.

The expectations were just different back then. If Davis has the same set of expectations that our fanbase put on Crean and Archie he’d still be coaching here with his name on the court.
Davis's last 2 teams were just not good.

I remember playing O$U in the Big Ten tournament and we got down big in the first half. Looked like no way we'd come back. Davis subbed the starter out except for Bracey (of course) and we came back and won. After the game, Davis swore he was going to shake things up and play the players who produced.

Well, guess what - next game he started the same guys, played them regular minutes, and we lost.

David didn't grow as a coach at IU. I always gave him a pass the first 2 1/2 years, until it became obvious he was in over his head.

Has anyone forgotten him hiding in his basement for the Iowa game? I can't believe people are getting nostalgic for his coaching. Good guy, good assistant, but not cut out to be HC.

The one thing I loved about Davis was his desire to whoop Kentucky. He hated Kentucky as much as any Hoosier.

Would love to win the BTT one year....the fact we have never won pretty much sums up our slump! I am confident in CMW as always and expect IU to be really good in a couple years with next year massive improvement in guard play. We do have really good bench players that will help in the future, but no consistence in any starting 5 currently.
I fully expect CMW to go after position-less players going forward with the ability to play lock down defense. Only Race IMO would come close to fitting that criteria on the team currently.

How do you know no established coach would touch us with a ten foot pool did we actually try and get any of them? Did we try and get Scott Drew or Nate Oats? Rick Pitino? Are you telling me Iona could get Pitiono but we could not? No we did not want him because well IU wont touch a guy like that. I have read it was Stevens and Woodson second period. I did not read anything that said we even looked at anyone else. When we hired Archie it has been said he was the only one Glass looked at. He did not interview anyone else. So if you do not even attempt to get the big names you have no idea if we could get them or not.

I mean we have Woodson so it is irrelevant now but people always claim nobody wants this job without proof. You will never know unless you try and from what I understand we never really tried.
Chris Beard would have come here. He was the one we needed.

He was hired without a formal coaching search, a stop-gap attempt to heal the gapping wounds from Knight's abrupt firing. When the athletic department caved in to the returning players demands for Davis to be hired or they would transfer elsewhere, Fife included, it was backpedaling in handcuffs, stuck in damage control duties. Davis lost me at, "I never understood the motion offense" uttered in smile at his first press conference as new head coach.

He was hired without a formal coaching search, a stop-gap attempt to heal the gapping wounds from Knight's abrupt firing. When the athletic department caved in to the returning players demands for Davis to be hired or they would transfer elsewhere, Fife included, it was backpedaling in handcuffs, stuck in damage control duties. Davis lost me at, "I never understood the motion offense" uttered in smile at his first press conference as new head coach.
Yes, that was an epic moment.

The other one was when he gave Pee Wee Herman the game ball at the NCAA tournament in Lexington.

Yeah but the problem was knight got fired in September and there was no chance to do a search so sadly the players did not of have some power. The timing was awful. So I guess you could tellhim he is out of a job in the spring right after he just made the NCAA but Davis is not the first guy who was made head coach after being interim coach for a season. I think Steve Fisher for one ws interim coach before his 1989 run and then got the job. It is easy to look back now and say we should not have given Davis a second year but at the time he had just won 21 games and had a good team coming back so it was a tough call. In fact I belive Davis won 20 plus games all of his first three seasons so he was not a complete bust at least compared to Archie and Crean. I think he made the NCAA four of six years. Archie the big zero for four.

Reactions: Radio Zero
The other thing that killed IU in the two non NCAA years was not getting Sean May. I think he was always considered a lock to IU until Knight made his famous trip to his house and bascially talked him out of it. Knight being the bully he is likely told his old man if he goes to IU our friendship is off. Maybe it is not totally true but that so seems like somthing Knight would do. Granted we should of had a backup plan but like I said I think it was considered a sure thing he was coming to IU.

Also if I remember corrrectly in Davis last year DJ White was out almost the whole season with a broken foot I believe. Would have been fun to watch him and Killingsworth play together I think we could have been pretty good.

The other thing that killed IU in the two non NCAA years was not getting Sean May. I think he was always considered a lock to IU until Knight made his famous trip to his house and bascially talked him out of it. Knight being the bully he is likely told his old man if he goes to IU our friendship is off. Maybe it is not totally true but that so seems like somthing Knight would do. Granted we should of had a backup plan but like I said I think it was considered a sure thing he was coming to IU.
I don't believe that bullshit for one second - that Knight went to his house and talked him out of it.

I don't believe he would have said that to Scott May - no way.

I don't believe that bullshit for one second - that Knight went to his house and talked him out of it.

I don't believe he would have said that to Scott May - no way.
If I recall there was a meeting before May decided and the word was he suddenly changed his mind after meeting with Knight. It was a long time ago so I do not totally remember the details but I remember people were shocked and did not see it coming because May was constantly with that current IU team and always hanging out at Assembly Hall.

I heard from a reliable source that he actually reached out through back channels to express his interest in the IU job. However that was before the UT job had opened up.
I believe it. He was made for IU. We should have backed up the Brink's truck to his door.

Reactions: bailey777
If I recall there was a meeting before May decided and the word was he suddenly changed his mind after meeting with Knight. It was a long time ago so I do not totally remember the details but I remember people were shocked and did not see it coming because May was constantly with that current IU team and always hanging out at Assembly Hall.
I'm not saying Knight didn't influence him.

I'm just saying I don't think there was any kind of ultimatum.

I heard from a reliable source that he actually reached out through back channels to express his interest in the IU job. However that was before the UT job had opened up.
That is why I find it so hard to believe it when people say Woodson was all we could get, etc and nobody wanted the job. I do not believe that in fact I think Scott Drew probably would have taken it but he was never offered that we know of. I simply think Dolson had a two person list period and that was it.

But at least we had a two person list when Freddy hired Archie he had a one person list. I guess Archie was the only guy he talked to. To not even talk to any other coaches is just mind boggling but that is so Fred Glass like.

Dumbest post of the year candidate. Great coaches aren’t afraid of high expectations. I can assure you the expectations are a lot higher at UK and they hire top notch coaches. We need to be more like UK and less like Iowa. Having too low of expectations left us with 9 years of Crean.
Sure thing, fakepeaugh. Don’t confuse actual program expectations with fans who have no other meaningful thing to do with their lives then go online and beat their chests about a 30-year old set of expectations.

Anyway, you loved this hire. Sure, your T-count didn’t jump like it would have for Alford but you loved it.

• Love
Reactions: Radio Zero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT