ADVERTISEMENT

Coming to grips on some things.

I think that has been Crean’s undoing as much as anything. He’s just a weird dude. I think that really cost him recruiting wise the more and more time went on at Indiana.
I'll give him some credit - he found us some talent. He was Izzo's main recruiter for years - he's a basketball junkie. He just couldn't consistently coach them.

And he sure as hell didn't understand how to attack a 2-3 zone.

No, but that one is bad.

After the Wat Shot, he just gave that weird look when he was walking toward the scorer's table. Maybe he was waiting to see if it was made with time on the clock, I don't know. But the crowd was rushing the court and he just gave that weird look.
after the Watshot he looked like an android who had blown a circuit. Let's just be nice and say 'quirky'.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I think my favorite is the one of Tom Crean doing his penguin in stare down mode rotation. It didn't make sense that he would posterize like that, given the score 35-18 over PUke at the time. Maybe he had just self lubricated his butt cheeks and was trying to hold it together (one false move and there he shits).

• Haha
I can't imagine what might have flashed through his head at that very moment. What emotion known to man creates that tortuous facial expression?
I'm guessing it was along the line of "holy shit Watford just bailed me out from being blasted for blowing a double digit lead at home."

Reactions: abraxis
I'll give him some credit - he found us some talent. He was Izzo's main recruiter for years - he's a basketball junkie. He just couldn't consistently coach them.

I’ll never forget watching that Syracuse game and how clueless we looked against their zone. That game was over 10 minutes after the tip.

I’ll never forget watching that Syracuse game and how clueless we looked against their zone. That game was over 10 minutes after the tip.
try 90 seconds. I'm on record as saying, after 2 possessions, I text'd my brother and asked if we bothered to even look at any Cuse game film...was CTC aware that they would throw a stretch 2/3 zone at us, and Cody needs to hit that turnaround jumper from the FT line...or get someone there who's willing to shoot it?

Painful night. The night I realized we weren't seeing any F4s with CTC...ever.

Ironic, if true. Alford's open window to IU coaching was slammed shut. He was a victim of timing. It happens you learn. I once had a gal I dated for a long 500 Race weekend. One of the most fulfilling weekends of my life. She was married, I was not. About a year later I heard she was divorced, when I no longer was not. I stayed true, never seeing her again, not wanting to take a chance on being a three time loser, never learning. One of the many "what if's" of life, lost in the sands of an hourglass never turned in time.

I would like to have seen Steve Alford given a chance. He and his dad would have made a nice team. If not, it wouldn't have been anything worse than what we've seen since IU decided to deemphasize sports in favor of a more academic rating. Stuffy college professor types were never good in grade school sports so they despise sports when they get older. They remember the more popular school athletes as bullies to the meeker ones of scholarly bent that they were.
We were very close to hiring Alford in 2001 right after the Kent St disaster but Cora Breckenridge got very involved from what I heard. Basically threatening to bring in Jesse Jackson and have marches on the streets of Bloomington if Davis wasn't made the permanent hire.

Thankfully that was the last time our administration made a hire based solely on race. 😐

• Angry
Reactions: Crayfish57 and DANC
We were very close to hiring Alford in 2001 right after the Kent St disaster but Cora Breckenridge got very involved from what I heard. Basically threatening to bring in Jesse Jackson and have marches on the streets of Bloomington if Davis wasn't made the permanent hire.

Thankfully that was the last time our administration made a hire based solely on race. 😐
Alford's family had a second home on Brown County's Sweetwater Lake at the time in question. The owner of a Barbecue place on US 31 in Edinburgh told me he and his dad used to come in there for ribs on occasion...nice people he said. I'm sure Steve and Sam were disappointed back when he was never considered. It was probably a blessing for Steve, in hind sight.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I disagree with this. Outside of his random performance vs Purdue, his stat line usually looks very similar to Xavier’s last night. We have plenty of guards who can’t throw it in the ocean consistently and RP is definitely a member of that club.
Gotta talk about more than offense stats. Rob is an excellent defender. I don't think many on here get how important that is.

Davis was fired because he missed the tournament twice in 6 years. 4-6 was not good enough back then. And his last season we went 19-12 and finished 4th in the Big Ten with the #1 overall SOS in the country and missed the tournament. We were the snub of selection Sunday.
That's not even close to being accurate.

His last year IND not only got to the NCAAs, but won a game. (Beating SDST in Salt Lake City, then losing to GONZ.)

The snub happened the year before, and it really wasn't that big a snub. 15-13 entering Selection Sunday, with a horrible loss to MINN in Chicago (couldn't even break 60), and bad losses to ND, MIZ and NW, plus the clock-stoppage game vs. CHAR (and while the way we lost was controversial, we didn't deserve to win anyway). We then lost to VAN in the NIT and showed that we really didn't belong in either tournament.

try 90 seconds. I'm on record as saying, after 2 possessions, I text'd my brother and asked if we bothered to even look at any Cuse game film...was CTC aware that they would throw a stretch 2/3 zone at us, and Cody needs to hit that turnaround jumper from the FT line...or get someone there who's willing to shoot it?

Painful night. The night I realized we weren't seeing any F4s with CTC...ever.
The weird thing is, Crean KNEW that zone. He played Syracuse 2 times a year when he coached Marquette. Just inexplicable how clueless we looked that game, with 3 NBA players in the lineup.

I can't imagine what might have flashed through his head at that very moment. What emotion known to man creates that tortuous facial expression?
No, but that one is bad.

After the Wat Shot, he just gave that weird look when he was walking toward the scorer's table. Maybe he was waiting to see if it was made with time on the clock, I don't know. But the crowd was rushing the court and he just gave that weird look.
I believe the incredulous look by Crean was due to Watford's shot (an improvised play) was not supposed to happen the way it did.

Yes, because he went to the FF despite his coaching deficiencies. He had the players to overcome them.

He might be better than Archie, but he wasn't better than Crean. They were about equal, imo.
I always figured one of our current assistants, Fife, and Coverdale did as much coaching as Davis. Likely his biggest contribution was not messing it up when they got on a roll

Well, it was his brilliant move to pull Hornsby out of the game when he gave us the lead.

The only thing Davis did for that team was to not screw it up.

If you all are defending Davis after he hid out in his basement when we played Iowa, I think you're misrembering.
Hornsby, It was that yr or one before IU was playing in their tournament at Market square . I had tickets with a friend that was finishing up at IU and we were both older than normal college age . We were sitting up kind of high kind of by ourselves and this cute woman comes up and sits with us. It was kind of strange so we say hello . She says , well I'm Kyle's girlfriend and didnt want to sit by myself. I think she was from out of town or something but sat with us for the game. Seemed a random strange occurrence . If we had a shooter like him now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT