ADVERTISEMENT

Colts Draft Choices

actually i think chris ballard's pretty good. although he got reamed on the wentz deal. but i blame that more on reich.
That deal really surprised me. Reich was a good college QB and had a solid more back up NFL QB career. I did not know what he saw in Wentz. I never thought that would work.
One year David Rivers failed. Wentz was awful. I hope/think Ryan has a chance to be the QB that can take them deep in the playoffs. The rest of the team is fairly good.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
You can't remove the QB from the roster. He's going about it the wrong way. You get a franchise QB first, then you build around him. Tried and true method for long term franchise success in the NFL. Undeniable. Unless you're the Browns. Then you just suck no matter what.

Instead he's trying to go about it the wrong way... Build a roster, then jam a QB in. It might work like Bucs and Rams. But more likely it won't. Ryan is 36 years old, with serious limitations.
They had a QB when he started. What chance has he had to go grab a top 10ish QB since? He took a risk with Wentz. Failed. Admitted mistake and upgraded and bought him a few years to compete at the highest level while he tries again. It's not like getting a top 10 caliber QB is easy, but you don't tear it down and start over because you don't have one. Chiefs didn't do that when they got mahomes. Bills didn't do that when they got Allen. That had good teams that were a QB away.

They had a QB when he started. What chance has he had to go grab a top 10ish QB since? He took a risk with Wentz. Failed. Admitted mistake and upgraded and bought him a few years to compete at the highest level while he tries again. It's not like getting a top 10 caliber QB is easy, but you don't tear it down and start over because you don't have one. Chiefs didn't do that when they got mahomes. Bills didn't do that when they got Allen. That had good teams that were a QB away.
That Ballard admitted his mistake on Wentz and moved decisively to correct it says a lot about how good he is as a GM.

I blamed him then but I was strongly biased against him because of his refusal to vaxx.
I don’t understand why anyone would care about an athlete’s vaccine decision. What does that have to do with anything? I got the vaccine and would do it again, but I couldn’t possibly care less what my neighbor decided and certainly don’t care about what athletes decide is best for their health. Very odd to me.

Reactions: ulrey and mk30
I don’t understand why anyone would care about an athlete’s vaccine decision. What does that have to do with anything? I got the vaccine and would do it again, but I couldn’t possibly care less what my neighbor decided and certainly don’t care about what athletes decide is best for their health. Very odd to me.
Maybe cause they are paid millions of dollars and should be doing whatever it takes to be available for the games. Putting oneself at increased risk of covid and those around you isnt necessarily a team first attitude

Someone put together a video illustrating his issues. Showing how he misses the easy drop off because he is stuck on forcing it into tight coverage instead. Tendency to go for the long ball when it is not there and miss the easy play that would have moved the chains
I never said he was perfect but he was far from our biggest issue. He was no worse than Tannehill he just didn’t have Tennessee’s weapons.

That Ballard admitted his mistake on Wentz and moved decisively to correct it says a lot about how good he is as a GM.
I agree that I was impressed he wasn’t afraid to admit a mistake and move on. I don’t understand all the praise Ballard gets but I do respect him for that move.

Because he put his teammates at risk and sent a message of poor...no zero leadership. Before certain people attack with the "it doesn't stop infection"...the context of the time is relevant. This will be my final comment on this so don't bother.

I don't think that's what happened. At all. The owner basically laid an ultimatum on Ballard and Reich: "Either Wentz goes or you two go. Decide wisely."

Reactions: vesuvius13
Ballard does draft well. Nelson, Smith, Leonard, Moore, Hines, Taylor, and Pittman were all excellent picks.
Wentz made the receivers look much worse than they are. Hines’ numbers were way down from 2020 because the QB couldn’t get him the ball. Wentz was a huge liability down the stretch and because he wouldn’t get vaccinated when he contracted COVID he played even worse in the two most important games of the season.

Reich runs a very QB friendly system and every QB that has played for him has put up good numbers. I expect Ryan will have a good season as well and get the ball out quickly.

The kicking game also has cost the Colts dearly. Vinatieri lost two games in 2019 with missed kicks that kept the Colts out of the playoffs and Blankenship missed a chip shot FG against the Bills in the wild card game the following season. He also missed a game winning kick against the Ravens last year.

Last edited:
Raimann‘s story reminds me of Constanzo, who was a TE before becoming a tackle.

May one of the TE’s drafted prove to be a run game road grader.

Roster has 10 1-yr players signed. I don’t expect to see a lot of free agent signings.
Is sixteen a lot? I was clearly wrong. Colts wire adds minicamp invites too.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2022...olis-colts-tracker-undrafted-free-agent-2022/

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...d-free-agent-tracker-begins-wr-lb/9603132002/

2022 Colts Undrafted Free Agents​

• Jack Coan, QB, Notre Dame
  • C.J. Verdell, RB, Oregon
  • Max Borghi, RB, Washington State
  • D'Vonte Price, RB, Florida International
  • Kekoa Crawford, WR, California
  • Samson Nacua, WR, BYU
  • Michael Young Jr., WR, Cincinnati
  • Josh Seltzner, G, Wisconsin
  • Alex Mollette, G, Marshall
  • Wesley French, C, Western Michigan
  • Ryan Van Demark, T, Connecticut
  • Cullen Wick, DE, Tulsa
  • McKinley Williams, DL, Syracuse
  • Scott Patchan, DL, Colorado State
  • Forrest Rhyne, LB, Villanova
  • JoJo Domann, LB, Nebraska
  • Dallis Flowers, CB, Pittsburg State
  • Sterling Weatherford, LB/S, Miami of Ohio
  • Trevor Denbow, S, SMU

Last edited:
Because he put his teammates at risk and sent a message of poor...no zero leadership. Before certain people attack with the "it doesn't stop infection"...the context of the time is relevant. This will be my final comment on this so don't bother.
It sounds like you now know that he wasn’t in fact putting his teammates at risk, yet you’re still saying he put his teammates at risk. Very odd. Must just be your bias.

That was not the case at all... All three knew he needed to be replaced as soon as time expired against Jacksonville.
I’ll bet Frank sure didn’t see it like that. Did you watch any of the Hard Knocks? Treats him like a son.

Ballard maybe, because he felt Frank lied to him about how he could get Wentz back to playing winning ball. Irsay was far more pissed than anyone else and it had everything to do with the vax and Wentz lousy play after returning. He drove the bus on this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT