ADVERTISEMENT

Colts Draft Choices

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
I generally think the Colts do a horrible job on draft day. That said, I do like this kid that they got from Cincy, Alec Pierce, the tall tangy WR who made mincemeat of our secondary last year.
Now, as long as grandpa Matt Ryan can get him the ball.

I generally think the Colts do a horrible job on draft day. That said, I do like this kid that they got from Cincy, Alec Pierce, the tall tangy WR who made mincemeat of our secondary last year.

5 catches for 86 yards isn't making a secondary mincemeat.

What DJ did to them, 5 for 120, was mincemeat.

5 catches for 86 yards isn't making a secondary mincemeat.

What DJ did to them, 5 for 120, was mincemeat.
I’m not sure if you were there but he made key catches in the 2nd half that our guys could not cover, including an incredible TD catch that put them ahead. When they needed a key catch, Alec came up with it.

I’m not sure if you were there but he made key catches in the 2nd half that our guys could not cover, including an incredible TD catch that put them ahead. When they needed a key catch, Alec came up with it.

I wasn't there, but I absolutely watched the game. I'm not disputing he made key plays, but we have very different definitions on what constitutes making a secondary mincemeat.

actually i think chris ballard's pretty good. although he got reamed on the wentz deal. but i blame that more on reich.

This year’s draft suffered from the Carson Wentz deal.
Getting the Falcons’ Matt Ryan looks like as good an answer as any.

Getting 4, 2nd and 3rd rd picks. Looks like a plus.

Not many household names in this year’s selections.
Let’s hope they are a hungry bunch.

I agree Colts drafts have suffered since Polian left.
Ballard seems to have done better than the GMs in between.

The only person who should like Ballard as a GM is Jim Irsay for always having the most cap space and saving him millions while pretending to care about winning. He’s been a disaster. I like the emphasis on playmakers but the Colts will still have a bottom 3-5 WR/TE group in a passing league.

The only person who should like Ballard as a GM is Jim Irsay for always having the most cap space and saving him millions while pretending to care about winning. He’s been a disaster. I like the emphasis on playmakers but the Colts will still have a bottom 3-5 WR/TE group in a passing league.
Those groups will be better now that they have a QB.

wasn't crazy about Paye last yr, because i didn't think he was difference maker at UM.

and he hasn't changed my opinion yet.

but Ballard hasn't been bad, though Grigson really set a low bar.

think giving up on Wentz after one yr was a big mistake, if the option was Ryan at best..

especially considering Ryan's age.

not sure Ballard was behind that move either, but perhaps forced by Jimmy.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Hmmmmm.

This analyst gives the Colts an "A" for their draft picks:

The Colts had the most Pro-Bowlers of any team last year. How is that a disaster?

Grades right after the draft are not worth much. Kind of like preseason rankings. In 3 years, we can better judge how we did.

We appear to have done a good job filling needs.

A bit worried about Raimann and his medical issues. Hopefully not something that would keep him off the field. Apparently part of the reason he dropped.

Differing opinions on Pierce's ability to get open in the pros. Ballard had other good options at WR so seems to be the one he preferred. Hope he is right.

Appears Ballard likes to go after players with good RAS scores. Hopefully it pays off.

I was kind of hoping we would pick up Malik Willis since he dropped so far but not taking him allowed us to fill in players that would be better able to help us this coming season.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Grades right after the draft are not worth much. Kind of like preseason rankings. In 3 years, we can better judge how we did.

We appear to have done a good job filling needs.

A bit worried about Raimann and his medical issues. Hopefully not something that would keep him off the field. Apparently part of the reason he dropped.

Differing opinions on Pierce's ability to get open in the pros. Ballard had other good options at WR so seems to be the one he preferred. Hope he is right.

Appears Ballard likes to go after players with good RAS scores. Hopefully it pays off.

I was kind of hoping we would pick up Malik Willis since he dropped so far but not taking him allowed us to fill in players that would be better able to help us this coming season.

Loaded and I mean absolutely loaded QB class next year. I think there’s 6 or 7 guys next year who would have all been drafted ahead of Pickett this year.

Raimann‘s story reminds me of Constanzo, who was a TE before becoming a tackle.

May one of the TE’s drafted prove to be a run game road grader.

Roster has 10 1-yr players signed. I don’t expect to see a lot of free agent signings.

Most probowlers but no playoffs? How is that NOT a disaster?
A disaster in the NFL is needing a QB and a team. The colts are essentially a QB away from being competitive at the highest level. It could be much, much worse. Ballard has done a good job building the team, but he's failed at getting an answer at QB. Seems like Ryan could be that. We shall see.

Most probowlers but no playoffs? How is that NOT a disaster?
Again, that's coaching. He's built a roster they can win with. All of the big leads they gave up last year & overall crappy play against the Raiders & Jags that cost them a playoff spot was on execution, not talent.

Reactions: kmathum
A disaster in the NFL is needing a QB and a team.
That is way too general a definition, even for the NFL. If you have that many probowlers, the most in the NFL, you should at the very least make the playoffs in a weak division.

Reactions: mk30
Again, that's coaching. He's built a roster they can win with. All of the big leads they gave up last year & overall crappy play against the Raiders & Jags that cost them a playoff spot was on execution, not talent.
That is the definition of disaster. I don't know where to find a better one.

That is way too general a definition, even for the NFL. If you have that many probowlers, the most in the NFL, you should at the very least make the playoffs in a weak division.
Weak division, but it wasn't like it was an easy division to win and get the auto bid. Now, with a QB, they easily do that. Still should have made it. You can't win in the NFL without a QB. Colts didn't have a QB last year. That has nothing to do with their roster. Have to have a QB.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Weak division, but it wasn't like it was an easy division to win and get the auto bid. Now, with a QB, they easily do that. Still should have made it. You can't win in the NFL without a QB. Colts didn't have a QB last year. That has nothing to do with their roster. Have to have a QB.
Not having a QB is absolutely a roster problem. A huge roster problem. You can't pretend it is not.

You act like Ballard hasn't been trying to address the QB problem.

Good QBs don't grow on trees. Overall, Ballard has done pretty well with the roster. Wentz failing and bad coaching were the bigger issues imo

Needs to get QB right. That's holding this team back.

So true. Team talent, GM and coaching staff can only rise as high as the QB can attain. Hope the D gets a bump also.

Reactions: BoilerN
Wentz actually wasn’t that bad imo. He’s an easy scapegoat now that he’s gone. He had no one to throw to. We haven’t had a true WR1 or TE1 in years.
Maybe we have had a WR1 or TE1, but every player besides the guy that has the ball handed to him got worse. Wentz was not good and was never going to get the colts to where they want to go.

Maybe we have had a WR1 or TE1, but every player besides the guy that has the ball handed to him got worse. Wentz was not good and was never going to get the colts to where they want to go.
No Wentz definitely wasn’t the answer. Just like Rivers wasn’t and Ryan won’t be either. But that’s far from our biggest issue. We play in the weakest division in the NFL and can’t even make the playoffs. Need a complete overhaul.

Wentz actually wasn’t that bad imo. He’s an easy scapegoat now that he’s gone. He had no one to throw to. We haven’t had a true WR1 or TE1 in years.

Someone put together a video illustrating his issues. Showing how he misses the easy drop off because he is stuck on forcing it into tight coverage instead. Tendency to go for the long ball when it is not there and miss the easy play that would have moved the chains

No Wentz definitely wasn’t the answer. Just like Rivers wasn’t and Ryan won’t be either. But that’s far from our biggest issue. We play in the weakest division in the NFL and can’t even make the playoffs. Need a complete overhaul.
Why won't Ryan be the answer? He's better than rivers and rivers got us to the playoffs and almost a win. But you are correct in that they have to win the division this year. I don't envision Tennessee being the #1 seed in the AFC. Blowing it up would be going backwards though.

Same thing I said all last season: building your offense around a pedestrian QB won’t cut it. Wentz made me wince every time he took the field. I was concerned as it was with the guy coming off two ACL tears and last year was a disaster at QB. And the WRs were bad regardless.

Reactions: BoilerN
Never said it wasn't. But the roster minus QB is ready to go.
You can't remove the QB from the roster. He's going about it the wrong way. You get a franchise QB first, then you build around him. Tried and true method for long term franchise success in the NFL. Undeniable. Unless you're the Browns. Then you just suck no matter what.

Instead he's trying to go about it the wrong way... Build a roster, then jam a QB in. It might work like Bucs and Rams. But more likely it won't. Ryan is 36 years old, with serious limitations.

I thought the Colts had a nice draft, with a couple of caveats. I didn’t like giving up a 3rd next year for Cross when we have Willis and Blackmon who are more than capable and we signed McLeod and Watts. Seemed like it wasn’t needed. Now, if Cross becomes a star I’ll eat my words.

Also, they drafted a white wide receiver. Those guys don’t normally pan out.

• Haha
I thought the Colts had a nice draft, with a couple of caveats. I didn’t like giving up a 3rd next year for Cross when we have Willis and Blackmon who are more than capable and we signed McLeod and Watts. Seemed like it wasn’t needed. Now, if Cross becomes a star I’ll eat my words.

Also, they drafted a white wide receiver. Those guys don’t normally pan out.
Cooper Kupp and Julian Edelman say hello!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT