ADVERTISEMENT

College advisors--yes or no, good and bad, etc.

Athletics is out. The little things I work on. Can’t say successfully.

The people I’m talking about generally help the student figure out some narrative for the application that jibes with one of the various categories of students admissions people are looking for and helping them figure out the extra curriculars, volunteer work, etc that bolsters that narrative.

The whole thing is distasteful to me but many in my area do it. So there’s a fear I’m putting her at a disadvantage compared to her peers. Doesn’t mean I’ll ultimately do it , but I’m looking to hear honest feedback from people who have.
I hear you. We had the opportunity to do it both on the athletics side and on the straight academics side.

I didn't see students magically getting into places that they wouldn't have a good shot at otherwise, so the big benefit I saw expressed by people who used them was someone to organize their kid and give them to-do lists. That and the lessened conflict with your kid over the followup seemed to have been the primary benefits. I find the disengagement for parents can be a net negative depending on how they approach having someone else leading the college quest.

Reactions: BradStevens
We just went through this process with the oldest. Ultimately, we decided not to move forward. I was impressed with the advisor, but couldn’t justify the cost. Frankly, the most appealing part for us was having someone else ride the kids ass to get her shit done. I was about to pay thousands of dollars just for that.

Instead I’ve taken the lead in riding her ass to get her shot done. It’s been pretty awful at times, but we are seeing positive results now. She was looking at IN instate and a couple OH schools that offer in state rates. She’s gotten a lot of school scholarships and been invited to apply for more. She’s also gotten accepted into honors programs at lesser schools. She’s going to have a lot of great opportunities.

My middle one is in her words an “academic weapon”. She’s getting emails from Chicago, Northwestern and Ivies already. But she wants to go to med school. We’ve always been open and honest with the kids on how much college costs. She planning on applying to state schools and trying to get a free education. She knows how much med school is and doesn’t want undergrad debt.

Lastly, I don’t think it matters where a kid goes these days. Pick a good degree program with real world job opportunities and you’re set.

I would rather disown my kids that let them attend a shithole like W-L

My kid has no idea wtf she wants to do. She's smart but her dedication levels to anything other than socials and the drama swirl they create is spotty at best. She gets good grades, etc. but if she came to me and said I want to be en engineer or pursue robotics or some shit, well off to Purdue she goes. I'd be ok with it. I mean, i wouldn't visit a lot or anything.

She's also bullheaded, sometimes even more than her damn mother. I haven't figured out if this a plus or minus yet. Pending.

I think it’s for the birds too. On the flip side my stoker is scouting wedding venues this weekend with her bf

Some sage advice from a lurker on the national board...

Thread titled: "Never Date a Single Mom"

There's a reason they're a single mom. They're committed to trauma and drama. No matter how compelling their "sob story" is, know in the back of your mind, it's a dead end. At best, you'll become the second most important thing in their life. That's a recipe for disaster in a relationship. (Speaking from a friend's experience.)

Don't loosen your filter in dating apps. It may take another month or two, but only date women without any children. It'll be worth a lot of time and money. Have some more self respect for yourself. Single mothers are victims committed to being victims.

• Wow
Reactions: BradStevens
Some sage advice from a lurker on the national board...

Thread titled: "Never Date a Single Mom"

There's a reason they're a single mom. They're committed to trauma and drama. No matter how compelling their "sob story" is, know in the back of your mind, it's a dead end. At best, you'll become the second most important thing in their life. That's a recipe for disaster in a relationship. (Speaking from a friend's experience.)

Don't loosen your filter in dating apps. It may take another month or two, but only date women without any children. It'll be worth a lot of time and money. Have some more self respect for yourself. Single mothers are victims committed to being victims.
makes me feel better. thanks jdb. @DANC i'm so incredibly weak today as we get closer to sat i can barely type.
ps jdb you're getting an invite to the Dream Team XMAS party. brown envelope - naturally

makes me feel better. thanks jdb. @DANC i'm so incredibly weak today as we get closer to sat i can barely type.
ps jdb you're getting an invite to the Dream Team XMAS party. brown envelope - naturally

cant-wait-excited.gif

giphy.gif

What are the strip clubs like in St. Louis? Might be worth a visit.

What are the strip clubs like in St. Louis? Might be worth a visit.
That’s where the Christmas Party is being held.

Send her to an in state Big Ten school and save your money. I did undergrad at IU and law school at Maurer. While at Maurer there plenty who went to ND, Michigan, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and the Ivys including Princeton and Yale. All ended up at the same damn place I did but at probably 3x the cost.

Unless she's some sort of prodigy it's not worth it.
This. And if she wants to be something like a teacher then send her to an even smaller local campus. Save even more money. Even IU Bloomington is ****ing ridiculous these days and not worth it for 90% of the degrees out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT