ADVERTISEMENT

College advisors--yes or no, good and bad, etc.

BradStevens

All-Big Ten
Silver Member
Sep 7, 2023
For those whose kids have recently applied to college (last 10 years?):

Did you use a private college advisor/consultant to help your kid select a school, develop a plan, etc.?

If so, did you find it worth the money? Pros and cons?

Any advice on what to look for in a good one v. a bad one?

If your first inclination is to brag about how your kid didn't need one, or just reflexively say "that's a stupid waste of money" without more, please refrain.

Did you use a private college advisor/consultant to help your kid select a school, develop a plan, etc.?

If your first inclination is to brag about how your kid didn't need one, or just reflexively say "that's a stupid waste of money" without more, please refrain.
What are your goals? How much $ are you willing to spend? 7 figures? For USC. Or an Ivy?

What if that is the best answer?

Does your child have a clue of what he/she wants to go do? Find someone in that field and request a conversation. Find out where they went, if it was truly of value. Find out where they're hiring from.

If they have multiple interests, do it for each one.

I'd then go to any schools of interests and talk about their internship and any placement programs.

These are things I counsel my players and family on as they start to make college decisions. These are things that I compel them to care about even though, assuming they don't screw it up, they will likely finish their Masters by the time their eligibility is up with a guaranteed network of businesses who will hire them just for being athletes.

Being an athlete at that level implies some amount of discipline and work ethic, so it's not without merit.

Personal growth (this is hopefully built into any decision)
Career options
Where might they want to live

What are your goals? How much $ are you willing to spend? 7 figures? For USC. Or an Ivy?
$ is risk/reward. 5 figures, not 7(!!!??).

Daughter is a sophomore. Reach schools will probably top out at a lower-tier Top 25ish national, or Top 15 liberal arts. Mid-tier B10 is a given.

Goals for me: not having to talk to her about this and have her think I'm underselling her abilities, focus her on the process so I'm not the constant negative nagger, help her with finding a good "fit" for her personality, interests, etc.

I can do this all myself (did it myself 30+ years ago, can do it again) but she's my daughter so friction is bound to occur and I'm willing to pay to avoid it.

Daughter is a sophomore. Reach schools will probably top out at a lower-tier Top 25ish national, or Top 15 liberal arts. Mid-tier B10 is a given.

Goals for me: not having to talk to her about this and have her think I'm underselling her abilities, focus her on the process so I'm not the constant negative nagger, help her with finding a good "fit" for her personality, interests, etc.

I can do this all myself (did it myself 30+ years ago, can do it again) but she's my daughter so friction is bound to occur and I'm willing to pay to avoid it.

Nah, you need that friction so you can tell her "I told you so" at some point down the line.

(That's a joke before anyone gets all bent out of shape.)

Send her to an in state Big Ten school and save your money. I did undergrad at IU and law school at Maurer. While at Maurer there plenty who went to ND, Michigan, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, and the Ivys including Princeton and Yale. All ended up at the same damn place I did but at probably 3x the cost.

Unless she's some sort of prodigy it's not worth it.

How much does pedigree matter in the real world these days?

I know many examples of graduates from more or less un-heard of schools who have done very well. But that means not working on the coasts where pedigree seems to matter to some extent.

I still have the COAS bulletin book that listed every single course offered by every department with a brief overview, the professors, an overview of each department and major, and the requirements for the major and minor. This bulletin helped me big time decide what I wanted to do. I would encourage your child find the equivalent for interested schools and do some exploring.

Does the HS provide any guidance on matching a student with a school?

My 3 kids were pretty self-focused on a list of 5-10 schools, applied to them all, and we visted those that accepted them.

We told the kids that cost wouldn't be the single driving factor, but costs would not be ignored completely, that they would be factored in to some extent. Ex: if you like schools A&B equally but A gives you more support, we'd prefer that one.

Reactions: Bloom.

It really is difficult now with the exorbitant price of college. You’re a people person. Go visit with a few of these outfits. You’ll see whether they are worthwhile

It really is difficult now with the exorbitant price of college. You’re a people person. Go visit with a few of these outfits. You’ll see whether they are worthwhile
Our oldest grand daughter, now a sophomore in a private college in Michigan (perfect score ACT) which allows undergrads to do actual research and pays them in off periods is majoring in math and research microbiological actuarial science . My advice? If I can't spell the title of your major I'm not giving you any money.

It's nearly impossible to judge. The ones that advertise these great rates for getting kids into the best schools are clearly examples of selection bias at work.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
My wife is on the charge with this. My daughter just asks if she can go to IU. Which, of course, I say yes.

Not that she couldn't apply and get accepted at a smaller, more exclusive school. I just don't think it's worth it.

My wife is on the charge with this. My daughter just asks if she can go to IU. Which, of course, I say yes.

Not that she couldn't apply and get accepted at a smaller, more exclusive school. I just don't think it's worth it.
U of I is something like $40k in-state. Crappy campus, crappy sports, crappy fan base, blah, blah, blah. Ugh. Can we use your mailing address for college admissions?

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
U of I is something like $40k in-state. Crappy campus, crappy sports, crappy fan base, blah, blah, blah. Ugh. Can we use your mailing address for college admissions?
Good school tho. And I as I’m sure you have countless friends who are alums and loved it. My kids will be at mizzou or Florida state schools absent something miraculous

Reactions: BradStevens
Illinois? Jesus.

I have no idea what IU is instate right now 18k? 20K?

Pain. Just pain.

About 30K per year in-state:

Purdue is cheaper:

Is your daughter into anything? That makes a difference. You don’t go to IU for marine biology obviously
She's 16. She doesn't know what she wants to do.

She visited the Naval Academy through some Women In Stem initiative and got to tour the campus, attend a class, eat in the cafeteria. They flew her out and put her up in a hotel. She liked that (and seeing the swim team practice--nice marketing, Navy). No clue if she goes that route; she's much stronger in ELA type stuff.

She's 16. She doesn't know what she wants to do.

She visited the Naval Academy through some Women In Stem initiative and got to tour the campus, attend a class, eat in the cafeteria. They flew her out and put her up in a hotel. She liked that (and seeing the swim team practice--nice marketing, Navy). No clue if she goes that route; she's much stronger in ELA type stuff.
It really is put on kids at such a young age. Navy would really be see something. Different tho. I know a soccer guy from here I’ve known forever who played there and hated it. One guy so who knows.

What I won’t do is pay for these random average private schools. In your world Loyola types

Nah, you need that friction so you can tell her "I told you so" at some point down the line.

(That's a joke before anyone gets all bent out of shape.)
I was hoping you were telling the truth. I go scorch earth with my daughter sometimes just see how tough she is or isn’t. This entire be soft to women at all times sh#% is for the birds.

I think it’s for the birds too. On the flip side my stoker is scouting wedding venues this weekend with her bf
Will you be walking her down the aisle to give her away?

Awkward Jennifer Lawrence GIF

It really is put on kids at such a young age. Navy would really be see something. Different tho. I know a soccer guy from here I’ve known forever who played there and hated it. One guy so who knows.

What I won’t do is pay for these random average private schools. In your world Loyola types
Yeah, that's bizarre to me.

Of course, by typing that, I've ensured my daughter will go there.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

Does she have any idea what she wants to do? There were a couple of really excellent college counselors at Butler that gave high school students a battery of interest tests to help them at least have a clue what their interests might be. I don’t think they were too expensive, but imagine price has exploded. If she knows what she wants to do, I don’t think it’s worth the money.

Reactions: BradStevens
My daughter says she wants to be a doctor. It I’ve seen her effort levels wrt studying. Hmmmm. I’m not sold. She’s smart. Excels in math but says she doesn’t like math. Terrible writer. So at least liberal arts are out.

I’ve told her I would accept her going to Purdue but that I would always show up in IU gear.

Not worth it. Here’s my prescription.

1. Load up on ACT/ SAT prep courses, tutors and tests. Better use of funds.

2. Then have your kid write an essay about how they were born in the wrong body and their parents are transexual migrants.

3. Pray your kid has good grades

4. If your kid plays sports that’s fine, but preferably not football, Lacrosse or anything perceived as too white or too masculine. You need to hedge by having them join a club “Young Democrats”, “Students for justice in Palestine” and “LGBT Alliance” are all good choices.

You’ll have your pick of any college in the country if you follow these steps.

friction is bound to occur and I'm willing to pay to avoid it.
That's really the question. How much you willing to pay to avoid friction? If it's worth $15,000-$50,000, go for it.

But nobody is going to know your daughter and work harder for your daughter than you will. The thing that cuts through the blind application process is personal contact - actually going to campuses, visiting and engaging with admissions people, doing programs that high schoolers can do at the colleges she becomes most interested in. If she's an athlete and wants to compete in college, have her get to know the college coaches NOW. She can find their emails and phone numbers online and can develop relationships that make all the difference.

More than anything, do little things to spark her interest and feed her knowledge so that ultimately it becomes her interest and her decision. Start going to visit colleges you think she might be interested in early on (sophomore year is a great time). Ask her questions about what she likes (and don't make it about what you like). You want to empower your daughter to decide how to forge her own path in life and you don't want to wait to cram it all in to the summer after her junior year up until applications are due six months later. That time is stressful enough for today's kids and they have immense pressure on them in that time when it should be one of the best times of their life.

That's really the question. How much you willing to pay to avoid friction? If it's worth $15,000-$50,000, go for it.

But nobody is going to know your daughter and work harder for your daughter than you will. The thing that cuts through the blind application process is actually going to campuses, visiting and engaging with admissions people, doing programs that high schoolers can do at the colleges she is most interested in. If she's an athlete and wants to compete in college, have her get to know the college coaches NOW. She can find their emails and phone numbers online and can develop relationships that make all the difference.

More than anything, do little things to spark her interest and feed her knowledge so that ultimately it becomes her interest and her decision. You want to empower your daughter to decide how to forge her own path in life.
Athletics is out. The little things I work on. Can’t say successfully.

The people I’m talking about generally help the student figure out some narrative for the application that jibes with one of the various categories of students admissions people are looking for and helping them figure out the extra curriculars, volunteer work, etc that bolsters that narrative.

The whole thing is distasteful to me but many in my area do it. So there’s a fear I’m putting her at a disadvantage compared to her peers. Doesn’t mean I’ll ultimately do it , but I’m looking to hear honest feedback from people who have.

Smart man

My daughter says she wants to be a doctor. It I’ve seen her effort levels wrt studying. Hmmmm. I’m not sold. She’s smart. Excels in math but says she doesn’t like math. Terrible writer. So at least liberal arts are out.

I’ve told her I would accept her going to Purdue but that I would always show up in IU gear.

I would rather disown my kids that let them attend a shithole like W-L

• Haha
Reactions: larsIU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT