ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Talent Out There - Be Patient

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
Saw this post about Atlanta Falcons firing all 3 of their coordinators:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/falcons-fired-all-three-coordinators/NGpXCoMt50VphCRWyfQy8M/

My point here is after the National Championship game and now end or NFL regular season and about 6 coaches (and likely by definition their staffs too), and leading into the Coaches Convention, there is likely going to be a LOT OF MOVEMENT!

Hence, be patient, that may lead to some great talent coming available which is a good thing, and why FG/TA may not want to move too fast and keep their powder dry still.

On that note, I am NOT calling for it at all, but if they go outside for a new OC, unless they can bump up pay for Hart, maybe he would depart. Just as Hagen "may" get a chance to be a DC at a smaller D1 school? I hope we can keep the coaches we want and bring in great talented coaches we need.

But the reality is, there will be lots of talent coming available, and don't think anyone would say the fired special teams coach for the Falcons (as an example) might not be an upgrade from IUs special teams play this year? (BTW, while I regret Inge may be on the hotseat, he seems to be a strong recruiter and wonder if there isn't a way to keep him on board for that, Football operations or maybe in TE coach role?)

Like waiting for signing day for recruiting, have fun and enjoy the process before wanting to shake the box to see what the presents are before xmas! :) I bet IU will get a few great new additions ahead!

Ill say this about the DeBord hire. At first I was like who is it? Then after doing some research I realized CTA wanted someone that could totally take over the reins on that side of the ball and he wouldn't have to worry about it. I expect him to do something similar. I also have to believe that he and Debord have spoke about this and there already may be a list of those who run a similar offense so we aren't rewriting the book. CTA said he would still be involved heavily on the defensive side so he will prolly go after a guy that has plenty of experience. The question will be how much of the current staff will the new coach keep?

Reactions: vesuvius13
Someone in another thread called it but Mike Yurich to tOSU. I wasn’t exactly expecting to land him though.

Ill say this about the DeBord hire. At first I was like who is it? Then after doing some research I realized CTA wanted someone that could totally take over the reins on that side of the ball and he wouldn't have to worry about it. I expect him to do something similar. I also have to believe that he and Debord have spoke about this and there already may be a list of those who run a similar offense so we aren't rewriting the book. CTA said he would still be involved heavily on the defensive side so he will prolly go after a guy that has plenty of experience. The question will be how much of the current staff will the new coach keep?

It will not be a drastic difference in offensive styles. Some coaches emphasize some things more than others (i.e., can we stop with the corner fades?). Make no mistake that Allen has a philosophy he wants and it will be the same emphasis he conveyed to Debord: fast paced, a mobile QB, running game that he can use to pound it in short yardage.
It will be up to the new guy to handle the details to accomplish that.

I’d expect this to transpire after Jan 7th when the convention is done in San Antonio.

why would they let coleman go?
Money and performance.

The Falcons have invested $48 million in Devonte Freeman, so the primary dollars for their running backs have been spent already.

Coleman is a great back for a plant and go attack behind a competent outside zone line, but the Falcons haven't had that good of a line for him to run behind, and as a result he led the NFL in the number of carries for loss this past year. He's a speed back, not a guy who can push the pile or break a bunch of tackles. And since he's coming up for a new contract, it's unlikely that his performance will provide a basis for the Falcons to pay him what his market rate might be.

On top of that, the Falcons have a couple of young guys - Ito Smith and Brian Hill - who showed OK this past season, and their salary cap numbers will be a lot lower than Coleman's new contract would be.

Add all that up, and Coleman will be a free agent, all while guys like Fournette, Bell, Peterson, Yeldon, Murray, Davis and Ingram are also on the market . . . if he had some eligibility left, he might want to come back to IU for a season.

Last edited:
Reactions: coachv jr
Saw this post about Atlanta Falcons firing all 3 of their coordinators:

https://www.ajc.com/sports/football/falcons-fired-all-three-coordinators/NGpXCoMt50VphCRWyfQy8M/

My point here is after the National Championship game and now end or NFL regular season and about 6 coaches (and likely by definition their staffs too), and leading into the Coaches Convention, there is likely going to be a LOT OF MOVEMENT!

Hence, be patient, that may lead to some great talent coming available which is a good thing, and why FG/TA may not want to move too fast and keep their powder dry still.

On that note, I am NOT calling for it at all, but if they go outside for a new OC, unless they can bump up pay for Hart, maybe he would depart. Just as Hagen "may" get a chance to be a DC at a smaller D1 school? I hope we can keep the coaches we want and bring in great talented coaches we need.

But the reality is, there will be lots of talent coming available, and don't think anyone would say the fired special teams coach for the Falcons (as an example) might not be an upgrade from IUs special teams play this year? (BTW, while I regret Inge may be on the hotseat, he seems to be a strong recruiter and wonder if there isn't a way to keep him on board for that, Football operations or maybe in TE coach role?)

Like waiting for signing day for recruiting, have fun and enjoy the process before wanting to shake the box to see what the presents are before xmas! :) I bet IU will get a few great new additions ahead!
The other tidbit that might be of interest is that Dan Quinn is picking up DC responsibilities in addition to being the HC. In other words, he's going in the opposite direction that CTA is going in.

I'm kinda interested to see whether this move is designed to set Quinn up to transition to a purely DC role if next year doesn't go well for the Falcons. Everybody likes his defenses when (a) they're healthy, and (b) he's involved directly in the game prep and defensive play calling. We're not sure whether he's got HC chops or not, especially after having to axe both coordinators and the TE coach.

I've always thought of CTA as sort of a Dan Quinn type of coach. I'm intently interested in whether CTA can make the jump to being a successful BiG HC over a few years. In any case, I hope he's at IU for a long time.

Reactions: Sassy61
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT