ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching Satisfaction by comparison...

Meh......I read and post here because of the lack of knowledgeable IU fans in my day to day. I don't always agree with posts, but it will often give me a perspective that I haven't thought of.
I think many would feel as do you.

The Spa, Shirts and skins, Tas Devil are not the sharpest pencils in the drawer fellow posters. For me to enjoy this board i have chose to ignore their posts. I am all for visiting about coach Crean and what he needs to improve but a lot of what these three post often is childish and if your not careful i have found myself posting something stupid in response. I am hoping you three are all the same person. With that being said there are many of you i enjoy on this board.
Maybe you should call for another boycott, it worked so well the last time

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
I don't know, but that wasn't the point. The bigger point that should be sinking in with you right now is that you think the competency and skill of those coaches is better, right? Otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question. Yet, despite their skill and competency, it took them many years to win a title. I'll bet there was a person just like you complaining that those coaches weren't good enough, not elite enough during the time they weren't winning a title, too. That's what should be resonating right now.
Were all of these coaches you're referring to at programs with a rich basketball heritage and a media that constantly supports and promotes their basketball program? Crean sure has been. I think that's the biggest point.

Were all of these coaches you're referring to at programs with a rich basketball heritage and a media that constantly supports and promotes their basketball program? Crean sure has been. I think that's the biggest point.

This was his premise and might answer your question about program supremacy.

Took John Wooden 18 years. Took Al Mcguire 20 years. Took Dean Smith 21 years. Jim Calhoun 27 years. The list goes on and on.

Of the four, Dean Smith was the only one to take a "blueblood" over, Wooden, McGuire, and Calhoun developed their programs but, it took a while and the missing piece from his response was Boeheim.

This was his premise and might answer your question about program supremacy.

Of the four, Dean Smith was the only one to take a "blueblood" over, Wooden, McGuire, and Calhoun developed their programs but, it took a while and the missing piece from his response was Boeheim.

I disagree about UNC. The 1950's was the start of basketball becoming a sport of recognition. The NCAA tournament wasn't even the most important tournament when it started and didn't become so until the late 1950's and early 60's. As such, being a blue blood back then was tough to achieve, but nevertheless UNC was a very good program winning their conference routinely before Smith took over. Frank McGuire was the coach there. They won a title (over Wilt Chamberlain in one of the greatest games every played in 3OT), went to several Final Fours. Smith took over only 3 years after the title and back to back conference championships. Agree on the others. That being said, Crean didn't exactly take over an elite program either, but rather a former program that was far far away from that status.

Snicker all you wish. Decades of excitement, travels, wins, losses, honors. Some ups and downs, but incredible memories along the way and some fantastic memorabilia, awards, photos that captured it all. Fun to go through it every few years to walk down memory lane.

Snicker all you wish. Decades of excitement, travels, wins, losses, honors. Some ups and downs, but incredible memories along the way and some fantastic memorabilia, awards, photos that captured it all. Fun to go through it every few years to walk down memory lane.
Is that the memory lane on fantasy island?

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Memory lane. Say, why don't you post a picture of your Indiana degree. I'll be happy to do so for mine. Bet? We'll start there. Ladies first....
I'll post a pic of my Harvard degree, just gotta run over to my neighbors house and pretend his is mine....it's the internet, you can be an astronaut if you wanna

I'll post a pic of my Harvard degree, just gotta run over to my neighbors house and pretend his is mine....it's the internet, you can be an astronaut if you wanna

That's funny, but my degree I can post with additional information that proves it is mine. Sounds like you aren't up to the challenge. Maybe it's in the attic with the wedding dress, eh?

That's funny, but my degree I can post with additional information that proves it is mine. Sounds like you aren't up to the challenge. Maybe it's in the attic with the wedding dress, eh?
Ohh now you're resorting to childish girly insults...you make it too easy

Ohh now you're resorting to childish girly insults...you make it too easy

My wife's wedding dress is in the attic, I suspect your wife preserved hers? Usually they do it in a vacuum seal to prevent from yellowing. My daughter was able to use some of it for her veil for her own wedding. That was wonderful. Is your IU diploma in the attic? Maybe on a wall somewhere in the study? Offering you some ideas on where you can find it.

My wife's wedding dress is in the attic, I suspect your wife preserved hers? Usually they do it in a vacuum seal to prevent from yellowing. My daughter was able to use some of it for her veil for her own wedding. That was wonderful. Is your IU diploma in the attic? Maybe on a wall somewhere in the study? Offering you some ideas on where you can find it.
Yeah that's what you meant, and the clever girl remark...?

I'm done with this if you wanna talk hoops let me know and I'll continue proving you wrong every step of the way...if you wanna continue with this junk you can play with yourself

More snickering.

Yeah that's what you meant, and the clever girl remark...?

I'm done with this if you wanna talk hoops let me know and I'll continue proving you wrong every step of the way...if you wanna continue with this junk you can play with yourself

My wife and I watched Jurassic Park today. There is a part in there where the hunter says "Clever girl". Not a great movie, but decent. Probably 25 years old if I had to guess. You should check it out, on re-runs quite often.

Here's the clip. And you haven't proven me wrong every step of the way. A few times, yes. I own those mistakes and don't claim typos and grammar miscues like you did last week. Will you hit 3,000 posts by next week, or are you off to Scout?

fa3e19ffd513583d5f7ae60382262d9a0505d72589cd2374af2b2a7de75e057d.jpg

My wife and I watched Jurassic Park today. There is a part in there where the hunter says "Clever girl". Not a great movie, but decent. Probably 25 years old if I had to guess. You should check it out, on re-runs quite often.

Here's the clip. And you haven't proven me wrong every step of the way. A few times, yes. I own those mistakes and don't claim typos and grammar miscues like you did last week. Will you hit 3,000 posts by next week, or are you off to Scout?

fa3e19ffd513583d5f7ae60382262d9a0505d72589cd2374af2b2a7de75e057d.jpg

Have you been drinking?

Do you honestly believe Tom Crean is in the class of any of those coaches? In what objective ways do you consider Crean's level of success at IU and MU to be that of any of those guys prior to their first championship?
i never thought McGuire was that good.

A media that constantly supports and promotes the program? Come on. Gregg Doyel, what an IU cheerleader he has been.

What a surprise you're responding. I noticed you didn't disagree though.
It is just your little brother syndrome that is laughable. If you want the respect from the media then win something like an NCAA title or two then you might get some respect. Also there are way more IU fans in the area than Purdue fans so the media is going to do what their viewers want to see or read about.

It is just your little brother syndrome that is laughable. If you want the respect from the media then win something like an NCAA title or two then you might get some respect. Also there are way more IU fans in the area than Purdue fans so the media is going to do what their viewers want to see or read about.
You sound like UK fans talking about IU

Can you name (without looking) the Indianapolis Star's Purdue beat writer?
they don't have one for PU because they out source it to the Lafayette paper. They realized that it was not worth the money to have one to travel with the team because there is not enough support to have ne.

they don't have one for PU because they out source it to the Lafayette paper. They realized that it was not worth the money to have one to travel with the team because there is not enough support to have ne.
So when someone talks about a pretty significant media coverage imbalance in Indiana regarding IU and Purdue, are they correct, or not?

So when someone talks about a pretty significant media coverage imbalance in Indiana regarding IU and Purdue, are they correct, or not?
I did not say he is wrong but to it shows that there is not the need to cover Purdue like they do IU. I am pretty sure if there was an interest and it was profitable to cover then they would.

I did not say he is wrong but to it shows that there is not the need to cover Purdue like they do IU. I am pretty sure if there was an interest and it was profitable to cover then they would.
No, you made a really childish reference to Purdue's "little brother syndrome", something that had nothing whatsoever to do with his inquiry.

No, you made a really childish reference to Purdue's "little brother syndrome", something that had nothing whatsoever to do with his inquiry.
I have been around Purdue fans all of my life and they have been making the same comments for years and it gets old. It is not like the local media is just IU fans and don't care about PU. They do it because IU has more fans in the area and it is not profitable to put full coverage for Purdue. Purdue fans has whined about that over 40 years of my life so I would think they would no why by now.

So you're basing the biased coverage mainly on your titles? Some of those media people were in diapers when your last title happened. Just how relevant is that in 2016? And yet the bias is still alive and well. I will give you the part about more iU fans in the area. 3 of the 5 titles are 40 years old or older. Little brother syndrome? Since Crean has been at iU your team has not gotten any further in the tournament than Purdue. Even in a year with the number 2 and 4 picks in the draft. Sweet 16. Living in the past is your claim to faim.

So you're basing the biased coverage mainly on your titles? Some of those media people were in diapers when your last title happened. Just how relevant is that in 2016? And yet the bias is still alive and well. I will give you the part about more iU fans in the area. 3 of the 5 titles are 40 years old or older. Little brother syndrome? Since Crean has been at iU your team has not gotten any further in the tournament than Purdue. Even in a year with the number 2 and 4 picks in the draft. Sweet 16. Living in the past is your claim to faim.
So why do you think it happens then? If Purdue was the one with the history of winning championships then you would be getting the media coverage. Also do you cry when IU get more coverage nationally and get more games on ESPN or CBS. I would rather live in the past and have no past at all like PU fans get to do.

I disagree about UNC. The 1950's was the start of basketball becoming a sport of recognition. The NCAA tournament wasn't even the most important tournament when it started and didn't become so until the late 1950's and early 60's. As such, being a blue blood back then was tough to achieve, but nevertheless UNC was a very good program winning their conference routinely before Smith took over. Frank McGuire was the coach there. They won a title (over Wilt Chamberlain in one of the greatest games every played in 3OT), went to several Final Fours. Smith took over only 3 years after the title and back to back conference championships. Agree on the others. That being said, Crean didn't exactly take over an elite program either, but rather a former program that was far far away from that status.

Former program that pays top ten money. um, okay. rationalize away. degrade the position to fit your needs. every post I read of yours includes some other BS as to why IU can't be great but the only reason that carries much weight is that we have a good but not great coach. I feel like I'm picking up after a toddler by responding to your weird stuff. Seriously, it's okay to want IU to be great again. we can be 85% of Duke, UK, and Kansas. lol

Former program that pays top ten money. um, okay. rationalize away. degrade the position to fit your needs. every post I read of yours includes some other BS as to why IU can't be great but the only reason that carries much weight is that we have a good but not great coach. I feel like I'm picking up after a toddler by responding to your weird stuff. Seriously, it's okay to want IU to be great again. we can be 85% of Duke, UK, and Kansas. lol

Where have I said IU can't be great? I think IU can be great, but the timelines are different. We also were not the historical "great" teams that others were, but because of the titles fans improperly lump us together. Consistency, year in and year out we haven't always had. When we were good, we were really good. I think we can get back to those days again, but we've also gone through two DECADES of not being great, but rather some very good years, some not so good years. We also have had to shake off the ghost of Knight. UCLA has had to do that with Wooden, it is why they have been up and down, too. Replacing a legend, especially how badly ours went down, put IU behind the 8 ball for a long time. The difference between you and me has nothing to do with so called weirdness, it has to do with being objective. In my opinion. We're going in the right direction. You don't agree. Fine.

So why do you think it happens then? If Purdue was the one with the history of winning championships then you would be getting the media coverage.

Winning championships has NOTHING to do with Purdue not having a beat writer for the Indy Star.

The J&C and the Star are both Gannett newspapers. After both were purchased , Gannett eliminated the beat writer from the Star in a cost-cutting move because they had one writing already at the J&C. Purdue content comes from that writer for both papers.

Winning championships has NOTHING to do with Purdue not having a beat writer for the Indy Star.

The J&C and the Star are both Gannett newspapers. After both were purchased , Gannett eliminated the beat writer from the Star in a cost-cutting move because they had one writing already at the J&C. Purdue content comes from that writer for both papers.
That is one of the things I mentioned and if it was profitable for the star to have one then they would have one.

Where have I said IU can't be great? I think IU can be great, but the timelines are different. We also were not the historical "great" teams that others were, but because of the titles fans improperly lump us together. Consistency, year in and year out we haven't always had. When we were good, we were really good. I think we can get back to those days again, but we've also gone through two DECADES of not being great, but rather some very good years, some not so good years. We also have had to shake off the ghost of Knight. UCLA has had to do that with Wooden, it is why they have been up and down, too. Replacing a legend, especially how badly ours went down, put IU behind the 8 ball for a long time. The difference between you and me has nothing to do with so called weirdness, it has to do with being objective. In my opinion. We're going in the right direction. You don't agree. Fine.

we can't be great now because we haven't been historically great? because 4 or 5 programs went to more E8s and FFs?

this isn't about the past; it's about maximizing the present.

how is Michigan State so good now considering they don't have a better history? oh ya, great coaching.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT