ADVERTISEMENT

Clifton Moore committed

Issue will be is if we add to more guys( Wilkes and Waters) where will the scholarships come from?
Currently 3 commits.
Hartman
Bryant
OG
All probably leave. So where does the remaining 2'comw from?
Priller could graduate after 3 years and leave and play elsewhere as a grad student. One of the guards might not see the playing time they think they should and transfer.

So 2 years from now....whats the depth at Point Guard look like?

Don't feel good about counting on a Freshman or Sophomore point guard. And thats if Newkirk works out....
Waters if we get him and another point guard recruit the next year. Green or Jones can probably play point guard as well. also I don't put much stock in the old positions in basketball because guys today are more combo guards than pure point guards.

Bsmitty if you think CTC and Izzo didnt drop MW than you dont have all the facts.

They might not work out but why not wait and see what this class does once they are on campus. I am pretty sure that people were upset when the class of VO and Sheehey signed but that one turned out pretty well.

coach hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt. you realized we missed the tourney Sheehey's senior year, right? loved the kid but let's not pretend that was a class of world beaters. For every VO that works out we've had several that didn't.

so let's see how it works out? miss all tourneys in our bad years and get bitch slapped in the sweet 16 in our great years?

coach has been doing this for 17 years. we have to wait and see how this plays out again and again.

you typically need great talent to have a great team. weird that this is lost on you. welp, let's wait and see though...lol

Green can play point, Durham can play some as well. We don't have a true pg lined up but we have a ton of combo guards.

And wings!!! Dont forget our wings!! :)

Yogi spoiled us the last 4 years. It will be interesting to see a combo guard try to run the point in this offense. Got to be able to get to the basket and be a threat from deep.

And wings!!! Dont forget our wings!! :)

Yogi spoiled us the last 4 years. It will be interesting to see a combo guard try to run the point in this offense. Got to be able to get to the basket and be a threat from deep.
Not a ton of wings really..
We need some length on the wing. Most of the guards we have are about 6'3 or shorter. Newkirk, Rj, JBJ, Green, Cujo, Durham. So we need some guys like Smith, Wilkes that can give us some size on the wing.

I don't see how anyone could be disappointed with Moore committing.

The other website expects that this is 4-5 player class. I know the oversign critics will be up in arms but I expect IU feels they have a good shot at Waters or wilkes or maybe both. With durham in town over the weekend and Moore in town then committing, Whether he chooses IU or not, I just see a lot a positive momentum in landing Wilkes who got to meet potential fellow incoming classmates as well current players on the team.

I saw the video of Wilkes interview before the weekend and have read his comments post weekend. I understand the sentiment about what's he suppose to say and that he is not going to slam the program but he had a lot good things to say. Apparently, he spent some time with morgan and that is real good. If OG moves on then I'd expect morgan and Wilkes to form a solid forward tandem. It's seems he likes the players and loves the communications center which is what he wants to major in. It's not all about basketball and he seems to have a real education plan.

As far as PG, wasn't Phinisee also in town over the weekend. If Moore commits then wilkes, he has to be influenced by the momentum, right? I know he is north of a 100 ranked prospect but he sounds like a solid kid if Waters does not come. He could get a year behind Newkirk and RJ before hitting the rotation. If 2017 is a 5 player class then, I'd prefer a big like Epperson at least until I see what Greene and Newkirk look like. I wouldn't say no to Waters if committed today but if you could only take one who would you take. Epperson or Water?

The other website expects that this is 4-5 player class. I know the oversign critics will be up in arms but I expect IU feels they have a good shot at Waters or wilkes or maybe both. With durham in town over the weekend and Moore in town then committing, Whether he chooses IU or not, I just see a lot a positive momentum in landing Wilkes who got to meet potential fellow incoming classmates as well current players on the team.

I saw the video of Wilkes interview before the weekend and have read his comments post weekend. I understand the sentiment about what's he suppose to say and that he is not going to slam the program but he had a lot good things to say. Apparently, he spent some time with morgan and that is real good. If OG moves on then I'd expect morgan and Wilkes to form a solid forward tandem. It's seems he likes the players and loves the communications center which is what he wants to major in. It's not all about basketball and he seems to have a real education plan.

As far as PG, wasn't Phinisee also in town over the weekend. If Moore commits then wilkes, he has to be influenced by the momentum, right? I know he is north of a 100 ranked prospect but he sounds like a solid kid if Waters does not come. He could get a year behind Newkirk and RJ before hitting the rotation. If 2017 is a 5 player class then, I'd prefer a big like Epperson at least until I see what Greene and Newkirk look like. I wouldn't say no to Waters if committed today but if you could only take one who would you take. Epperson or Water?
Waters and WIlkes

Not a ton of wings really..
We need some length on the wing. Most of the guards we have are about 6'3 or shorter. Newkirk, Rj, JBJ, Green, Cujo, Durham. So we need some guys like Smith, Wilkes that can give us some size on the wing.

Gelon is 6'5"...

For the 2018 recruiting year, we better be focusing in on Langford and Phinisee. If we land both of them then our perimeter will be set. There is a good possibility that Langford will be a two year player based on what I am hearing.

For the 2018 recruiting year, we better be focusing in on Langford and Phinisee. If we land both of them then our perimeter will be set. There is a good possibility that Langford will be a two year player based on what I am hearing.

Good possibility?

Who in the world did you hear THAT from?

coach hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt. you realized we missed the tourney Sheehey's senior year, right? loved the kid but let's not pretend that was a class of world beaters. For every VO that works out we've had several that didn't.

so let's see how it works out? miss all tourneys in our bad years and get bitch slapped in the sweet 16 in our great years?

coach has been doing this for 17 years. we have to wait and see how this plays out again and again.

you typically need great talent to have a great team. weird that this is lost on you. welp, let's wait and see though...lol
They also won the first big ten out right championship in 20 years. When I say lets see how it plays out means don't say that this class is bad until we see how these players actually perform instead of just looking at their rankings.

I am pretty sure Phinisee isin the 2018 class

They also won the first big ten out right championship in 20 years. When I say lets see how it plays out means don't say that this class is bad until we see how these players actually perform instead of just looking at their rankings.

ahh, so coach gets more benefit of the doubt because of 20 years of mismanagement?

why? lol

rankings don't mean everything but they mean something. for 76 years IU competed with the elite with elite players. :)

Reactions: Rakkasan29
ahh, so coach gets more benefit of the doubt because of 20 years of mismanagement?

why? lol

rankings don't mean everything but they mean something. for 76 years IU competed with the elite with elite players. :)
No they did not and you really need to go back and actually look at our rosters. We have never had a team of elite players on our roster and had plenty of role players.

No they did not and you really need to go back and actually look at our rosters. We have never had a team of elite players on our roster and had plenty of role players.
As in never had a team of elite players under TC or ever? Surely you're not including Bobby Knight years are you?

As in never had a team of elite players under TC or ever? Surely you're not including Bobby Knight years are you?
yes even RMK years and justlook at our full roster on the 87 team and you would see very little elite players. Unless you think Kreigh Smith or Jeff Oliphant is elite. How about Magnus Palokowki or Todd Meir. Even RMK's best years you had as lot of good role players who were not elite but it was alright.

yes even RMK years and justlook at our full roster on the 87 team and you would see very little elite players. Unless you think Kreigh Smith or Jeff Oliphant is elite. How about Magnus Palokowki or Todd Meir. Even RMK's best years you had as lot of good role players who were not elite but it was alright.
Wow. The only thing I can come up with is you must be very young. The biggest myth among a group of our fans is that RMK wasn't an elite recruiter. He was one of the best recruiters ever and had blue chip recruit after blue chip recruit year after year. The notion that he won with a bunch of unheralded no names was made up by the young generation of Creaniacs to try and justify Crean's recruiting problems.

Those of us who were around back then know better. Trust me on that.

Reactions: hondo314
Wow. The only thing I can come up with is you must be very young. The biggest myth among a group of our fans is that RMK wasn't an elite recruiter. He was one of the best recruiters ever and had blue chip recruit after blue chip recruit year after year. The notion that he won with a bunch of unheralded no names was made up by the young generation of Creaniacs to try and justify Crean's recruiting problems.

Those of us who were around back then know better. Trust me on that.
I am 46 years old and have been a fan over 40 years but I am a realist and don't see every thing in my rose colored glasses. I get lambasted saying we are not an elite program like UK or Duke and have stats to back them up. People say we are elite but when I try to compare us to the elite programs then people say we didn't say that we need to be like Duke. then what is it do you want to be compared to the elite programs or not.

Just look at the hole roster and RMK never had a roster full of 4 and 5 star players and he had very good role players who knew their roles. The couple of years in the mid 90's when he had 3 or 4 High School All Americans they had trouble with guys like Reed, Patterson and Collier.

I am 46 years old and have been a fan over 40 years but I am a realist and don't see every thing in my rose colored glasses. I get lambasted saying we are not an elite program like UK or Duke and have stats to back them up. People say we are elite but when I try to compare us to the elite programs then people say we didn't say that we need to be like Duke. then what is it do you want to be compared to the elite programs or not.

Just look at the hole roster and RMK never had a roster full of 4 and 5 star players and he had very good role players who knew their roles. The couple of years in the mid 90's when he had 3 or 4 High School All Americans they had trouble with guys like Reed, Patterson and Collier.

scott, for the ZILLIONTH TIME, no one said we are duke. no one. good god!

no one said we were recruiting like UK but you are really being black and white if you don't think we were getting highly touted players under BK. There weren't a million rankings like now but you're just being fighty if don't think BK was getting sought after kids. jesus h christ.

nuance just ain't your thing, scott. you think it's duke and uk in tier one and all 330 other schools in tier 2. why? can IU be 85% of duke, scott? i mean, we have before. seriously. can we?

Knight coached at IU 29 seasons and had 27 All Americans. Nearly 1 per year.

Since he left in 2000, we've had 7 in 16 seasons. Less than 50% of the years. Crean has had 3 in 8 years. Again, less than 50%.

From 1977 to 2000 RMK landed 21 McDonalds All Americans. Again, nearly one per year. Since 2000 we've had 8...or 50% of years. Crean has had 5 in 8 years.

So it seems the facts contradict your argument once again.

scott, for the ZILLIONTH TIME, no one said we are duke. no one. good god!

no one said we were recruiting like UK but you are really being black and white if you don't think we were getting highly touted players under BK. There weren't a million rankings like now but you're just being fighty if don't think BK was getting sought after kids. jesus h christ.

nuance just ain't your thing, scott. you think it's duke and uk in tier one and all 330 other schools in tier 2. why? can IU be 85% of duke, scott? i mean, we have before. seriously. can we?
You keep saying we should be elite and those schools are elite so what to do you want. Don't say you want to be elite if you don't want to be compared to the elite programs so you can't have you cake and eat it to.

Knight coached at IU 29 seasons and had 27 All Americans. Nearly 1 per year.

Since he left in 2000, we've had 7 in 16 seasons. Less than 50% of the years. Crean has had 3 in 8 years. Again, less than 50%.

From 1977 to 2000 RMK landed 21 McDonalds All Americans. Again, nearly one per year. Since 2000 we've had 8...or 50% of years. Crean has had 5 in 8 years.

So it seems the facts contradict your argument once again.
I never said he did not have elite players but people think we had a roster full of elite players. If we get one a year that mean on a given roster you will have 4 out of 13 and most times when he was the coach you had 15 players on the roster. The facts I was talking about was how we did in the tournament compared to the other elite programs with Sweet 16 and elite 8 appearances as well as final four appearances.

You keep saying we should be elite and those schools are elite so what to do you want. Don't say you want to be elite if you don't want to be compared to the elite programs so you can't have you cake and eat it to.
But you weren't exactly correct about Knight's recruiting.

I never said he did not have elite players but people think we had a roster full of elite players. If we get one a year that mean on a given roster you will have 4 out of 13 and most times when he was the coach you had 15 players on the roster. The facts I was talking about was how we did in the tournament compared to the other elite programs with Sweet 16 and elite 8 appearances as well as final four appearances.
So 4 all Americans on a team isn't an elite roster? No he didn't recruit like Calipari but your argument that he didn't have elite rosters is just false. He had some of the most talented rosters year in and year out.

So 4 all Americans on a team isn't an elite roster? No he didn't recruit like Calipari but your argument that he didn't have elite rosters is just false. He had some of the most talented rosters year in and year out.
I would say having 3 or 4 high school All Americans is above average but no elite. I am looking at the full rosters and not just starters. Just look at the players on the bench and you are not going to see a bunch of elite players.

That is what I though made RMK a great coach was that he did not have to have the greatest roster to beat great teams. One of the best examples was 1984 where we had one great player who was a freshmen and beat a loaded UNC team. Also 1989 winning the conference when it was loaded with an average team at best talent wise.

I would say having 3 or 4 high school All Americans is above average but no elite. I am looking at the full rosters and not just starters. Just look at the players on the bench and you are not going to see a bunch of elite players.
Who recruited at your definition of an elite level during the Knight years?

I am saying we should be as good as duke when i say we should be elite? why would you think that? that's on you. let's start by catching up to what Wisconsin, MSU, MU and OSU have done the last 5 years.

seriously, you see one poster out of literally thousands say we should be duke and then you somehow read that into every post where someone says we should be better than, say, Baylor. aggrevating af

UNC, UCLA, UL UK just to name a few off the top of my head.

more black and white IUSCOTT thinking. IU was never actually elite despite the AAs, burger boys, draft picks, FF runs, titles...it never happened. so be happy with crean and making the tourney half the time.

with all due respect, your posts have gone from fighty to pure trash, scott.

I am saying we should be as good as duke when i say we should be elite? why would you think that? that's on you. let's start by catching up to what Wisconsin, MSU, MU and OSU have done the last 5 years.

seriously, you see one poster out of literally thousands say we should be duke and then you somehow read that into every post where someone says we should be better than, say, Baylor. aggrevating af
I see the word elite and I think the very best and not just the very good programs. I think what we have done the lsst 5 years have been very comparable to OSU the last 5 years.

more black and white IUSCOTT thinking. IU was never actually elite despite the AAs, burger boys, draft picks, FF runs, titles...it never happened. so be happy with crean and making the tourney half the time.

with all due respect, your posts have gone from fighty to pure trash, scott.
I have always said we had elite seasons with elite players but we never have had the sustain success for more than 3 or 4 years at a time like other elite programs. We had 73-76 and 91-94 and the rest had great seasons followed by some average years.

As long as Coach K is at Duke, IU is not going to be as good as Duke. Duke was a nice basketball school (had a nice decade in the 60's with ZERO NC's) before Coach K came but not close to IU. It took K nearly a decade to close the gap on IU and pass Knight. If K had gone to NC State then we'd be talking about NC St. not Duke right now.

I see the word elite and I think the very best and not just the very good programs. I think what we have done the lsst 5 years have been very comparable to OSU the last 5 years.

wtf?

they made a FF, E8, and won the conference tourney

we missed the NIT one year

i'm actually starting to think you are like a troll sleeper cell

I have always said we had elite seasons with elite players but we never have had the sustain success for more than 3 or 4 years at a time like other elite programs. We had 73-76 and 91-94 and the rest had great seasons followed by some average years.

huh? that describes most great coaching careers minus John Wooden's lol

everyone loses in the 2nd round sometimes.

but whatever...7th best program or whatever all-time DESPITE 20 dormant years just makes awight in scott's eyes. BE HAPPY WITH MAKING SOME TOURNEYS LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT