ADVERTISEMENT

City of St Anthony settles with Castile family

baileyiu

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2001
$3M!!!

Not justice, but a HUGE admission of error on part of the police!

Why do you say that? Do you think justice is not possible in civil court?
No it's not in the case of loss of life. The guilty party was not convicted. The citizens of St Anthony pay the cost of his negligence. Yes, insurance probably paid for the settlement, but the increase cost of insurance will be born by the citizens

No it's not in the case of loss of life. The guilty party was not convicted. The citizens of St Anthony pay the cost of his negligence. Yes, insurance probably paid for the settlement, but the increase cost of insurance will be born by the citizens

So how is that justice exactly? The officer was in the wrong, so the citizens should suffer the consequences? Weren't the jurors made up of members of Ramsey County and not just St. Anthony?

I'm not even arguing that the family shouldn't have been compensated. I just fail to see how this is "justice".

So how is that justice exactly? The officer was in the wrong, so the citizens should suffer the consequences? Weren't the jurors made up of members of Ramsey County and not just St. Anthony?

I'm not even arguing that the family shouldn't have been compensated. I just fail to see how this is "justice".
COH believes Justice = $$$.

COH believes Justice = $$$.

I'm in good company. The English Common Law has been around since the 12th century with the Kings Bench. Paying damages to make victims whole was a noble concept and nobody has come up with a better system. But if you think you can do better for victims of another's misdeeds, I'm all ears. Maybe you think throwing people in jail for negligence solves the issue.

Years ago it wasn't possible for a citizen to sue the government or a governmental employee for negligence in carrying out their assigned duties. Part of the reason was probably to avoid the public having to cover the loss. Maybe you think that is better, I don't.

They're not mutually exclusive. The cop didn't pay off the family, the city's insurance company did.

No they aren't mutually exclusive. In a DUI accident there is always a civl and criminal penalty to pay. But that doesn't answer my question, why is "justice" dependent on a negligent person going to jail? Moreover, a civil court, and as is common in excessive force cases, can impose a penalty over and above what is due the victim as damages.

As far as who actually pays for damages, wouldn't you like your employer to cover your butt in case you do something wrong while doing your job? That concept is deeply imbedded in the law and I think it is good. Otherwise, who would serve in high risk public employment?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT