ADVERTISEMENT

Chime in please.

wawasee

All-Big Ten
Oct 16, 2001
Been thinking about our situation rn. Staff needs to change since Woodson is staying. What do you think about hiring Dusty May as the coach in waiting? Former Knight manager. Seems to be a good in game coach. Plus would be a huge step up from anyone on Woodson's staff rn. Let me know what you think..

May doesn't need to and won't sit behind Woodson on the bench. He's already accomplished more than Mike has and will in his career. It's one thing to give Woodson a chance but from what we've seen with his leadership traits, he is not going to change. We will not have better talent next year so why expect we will do anything but create more outrage from us toxic fans.

Been thinking about our situation rn. Staff needs to change since Woodson is staying. What do you think about hiring Dusty May as the coach in waiting? Former Knight manager. Seems to be a good in game coach. Plus would be a huge step up from anyone on Woodson's staff rn. Let me know what you think..

Why the hell would Dusty May come here to work under the likes of Mike Woodson? And why would Mike Woodson want Dusty May looking over his shoulder?

We tried this with Fife.

Don’t waste your time. It’s same ole same ole until MW is gone.

That is ridiculous. May isn’t wasting a year of his life doing something like that.
My point is we are handcuffed until Woodson is gone. They already decided to keep him another year. Why not look ahead.

May doesn't need to and won't sit behind Woodson on the bench. He's already accomplished more than Mike has and will in his career.
I agree 100% about May. I just think our leadership has put us in a bad position. So what your you do?

May doesn't need to and won't sit behind Woodson on the bench. He's already accomplished more than Mike has and will in his career. It's one thing to give Woodson a chance but from what we've seen with his leadership traits, he is not going to change. We will not have better talent next year so why expect we will do anything but create more outrage from us toxic fans.
Maybe Woodson needs to sit on the bench and watch May coach Iu.

I agree 100% about May. I just think our leadership has put us in a bad position. So what your you do?
This is the usual IU leadership failure.

There is nothing IU fans can do. We aren’t going to hold protests outside AH. Donations and attendance will fall a little, but not enough to matter.

We’re back to hoping for a coaching change. Who knows when Dolson, Pam, and Quinn finally give up on Woody.

Woody doesn’t want other coaches to threaten him. It’s why his current staff is so bad…he wants yes men

I have no idea what Cheaney's aspirations are in coaching, but if he does have any he should absolutely leave.

Not sure what he wants, but his only college gigs have been with St Louis as an assistant to Jim Crews, and IU as DBO and player dev. He also has had some player dev roles in the NBA. His path so far doesn't really suggest that he seeks to be a college head coach, but who knows?

My point is we are handcuffed until Woodson is gone. They already decided to keep him another year. Why not look ahead.
So.....Dusty May is going to subsidize the mismanagement of IU? Look...we all fantasize about fixing this program....I'm as guilty as the next guy. But Dusty May is at the top of several high level programs right now. He will command a monster contract. IU on the other hand....insists on mediocrity. Its a disgrace that this guy is coming back for another year. He is an embarassment. Next year is going to be a brutal display of self-destruction.

IU needs some plan for the future, or at least for the 2025 recruiting class. Right now it’s just a wasted year—next year.

Doesn’t seem like a bad idea. Tell May he’s the Associate head coach and will be taking over after next season. Woodson can save face and future recruits know there is a plan and stability.

I would keep Cheaney and Hulls and Garl and our long time staff, but get rid of the rest. Tell Woodson he can resign while he still has 2 out of 3 seasons in the tourney, or face the music which will sound like angry boos next year when he tries to build a winner with a bunch of new transfers.

I would keep Cheaney and Hulls and Garl and our long time staff, but get rid of the rest. Tell Woodson he can resign while he still has 2 out of 3 seasons in the tourney, or face the music which will sound like angry boos next year when he tries to build a winner with a bunch of new transfers.
Hulls is an all-time Hoosier. He came in during the rebuild and endured a lot of big losses before turning the corner and winning the conference.

Whenever the new coach comes in to rebuild Woody’s disaster, it would be cool if Hulls stayed on staff because he knows the challenges of starting over.

Woodson considers himself to be the least of IU's problems. Why wouldn't he? he has built an entire career off of the same results that he has achieved at Indiana. He has never, ever been a winner as a coach....but has been coaching a very long time. Why all of a sudden should Woodson worry about results?

May wouldn’t think about that for one second. Nor would cock of the walk Woodson.

Woodson considers himself to be the least of IU's problems. Why wouldn't he? he has built an entire career off of the same results that he has achieved at Indiana. He has never, ever been a winner as a coach....but has been coaching a very long time. Why all of a sudden should Woodson worry about results?
If he is the least of the problems, then we should see him fire his assistants and recruiting and scouting staff right away, because he would be frustrated with the players they brought in.
But Mike Woodson has no recruits coming in to stem the tide. The tide is coming. The fans are tired of losing 12-16 games every year.

So.....Dusty May is going to subsidize the mismanagement of IU? Look...we all fantasize about fixing this program....I'm as guilty as the next guy. But Dusty May is at the top of several high level programs right now. He will command a monster contract. IU on the other hand....insists on mediocrity. Its a disgrace that this guy is coming back for another year. He is an embarassment. Next year is going to be a brutal display of self-destruction.
And I cant wait until Woodson and Buckner have to own it. As strange as that sounds, that will givr me some closure lol. If he hadnt thrown players under the bus all year and make it everyone elses fault, he'd have more support.

I think that you can’t drink all day without starting in the morning! 😉 Sounds like you’ve stared.

No chance.

• Haha
Reactions: Hank Reardon
I think that you can’t drink all day without starting in the morning! 😉 Sounds like you’ve stared.

No chance.
LOl thanks for the laugh. My point is our administration handcuffed us keeping Woodson. So what would you do? Woodson's staff sucks. So whats your fix???

Start the coaching search early (now) so we have two or three very strong coaches to hire if next season is as bad or worse than this one.

Reactions: iulb and papawboog
Woodson should simply retire. Say he’s decided to spend more time with his family and negotiate a buyout. This is the perfect scenario
It would need to happen pretty soon, with OSU, UL, UM and WVU all already searching.

Why the hell would Dusty May come here to work under the likes of Mike Woodson? And why would Mike Woodson want Dusty May looking over his shoulder?

We tried this with Fife.
the only leverage Dolson has over CMW is the HC job itself ($ and years) e.g. I’m going to add an assistant coach to help you in areas that are lacking or else.

We tried this with Fife.
Yeah. Woodson would fire him in a couple of weeks.

sit back and enjoy the shat show. Chill with a gummy. It’s all good. Mike Woodson is at IU to win B1G titles and nattys. According to the IU admin, IU bball is in a good place.

Start the coaching search early (now) so we have two or three very strong coaches to hire if next season is as bad or worse than this one.
Introducing the newest member of the NNW&CC…..Aloha Hoosier!
Already planning for disaster. Start a coaching search? Sounds like somebody is down on the current coach. That’s not very positive.

May is a good Coach Who will have great opportunities to make more money than sitting on the bench next to Woodson for a year. And the Coach in waiting thing doesn't always work out. Ask Mike Hopkins the former Syracuse player and assistant Coach in waiting to Jim Boehiem. Jim stayed forever and Hopkins got tired of waiting and took the Head Coaching Job at Washington ( where He was recently fired).

We need to get away from the "We need an Indiana Guy/ knight Disciple" thought process. I had the privilege of being on Campus in the mid 1970's and watch Knight Coach the great 75 and 76 Teams, But I will be 73 this Year. Those of Us Who were there in the Knight Glory Years are ageing, dying off, and may not be in the physical condition to buy tickets and attend games, or have the financial status to support the program in other ways.

It is time We look outside the Indiana Box and get someone with a fresh perspective.

Introducing the newest member of the NNW&CC…..Aloha Hoosier!
Already planning for disaster. Start a coaching search? Sounds like somebody is down on the current coach. That’s not very positive.
I’ll never be a member of the NNW&CC. Down on the coach isn’t a qualification. He wasn’t even on my long list of potential coaches and I’m on record saying NBA coaches generally don’t make good college coaches. I said Howard was a bad hire for Michigan and some posters thought I was crazy. However, we hired Woodson and I hoped he’d work out. I didn’t whine, because I don’t whine. Unless there is drastic improvement next year, he should be out. I wouldn’t be upset if he’s out this week, but it seems unlikely.

The qualifications all the NNW&CC members have is perpetual pessimism, incessant whining, over the top negativity, and feeling the need to attack those that aren’t quite as pessimistic and don’t whine even if they actually explicitly have the same opinion like the shooting is lousy, it was a very bad loss, etc. You can decide for yourself if you fit the criteria.

Tom Brew doesn’t meet the criteria and he wrote this, which I agree with;

That’s how you express opinions, make observations, and assess the program without coming across as whining adolescents. I understand the members enjoy doing that, apparently, but I don’t, and wouldn’t want to crash your parties. 😄

Starting a coaching search early is a rational thing. Plan for contingencies. It’s the military way.

Reactions: Indymoon and T.M.P.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT