ADVERTISEMENT

Chime in please.

I’ll never be a member of the NNW&CC. Down on the coach isn’t a qualification. He wasn’t even on my long list of potential coaches and I’m on record saying NBA coaches generally don’t make good college coaches. I said Howard was a bad hire for Michigan and some posters thought I was crazy. However, we hired Woodson and I hoped he’d work out. I didn’t whine, because I don’t whine. Unless there is drastic improvement next year, he should be out. I wouldn’t be upset if he’s out this week, but it seems unlikely.

The qualifications all the NNW&CC members have is perpetual pessimism, incessant whining, over the top negativity, and feeling the need to attack those that aren’t quite as pessimistic and don’t whine even if they actually explicitly have the same opinion like the shooting is lousy, it was a very bad loss, etc. You can decide for yourself if you fit the criteria.

Tom Brew doesn’t meet the criteria and he wrote this, which I agree with;

That’s how you express opinions, make observations, and assess the program without coming across as whining adolescents. I understand the members enjoy doing that, apparently, but I don’t, and wouldn’t want to crash your parties. 😄

Starting a coaching search early is a rational thing. Plan for contingencies. It’s the military way.
But no longer in the PPR&UC, right?

No way do I put any of this on the players, it’s all on Woodson & his staff. Other than Calnert & Hulls, they need to be shown the door NOW. This season reminds me a lot like the last year or 2 of Lou Watson’ years. Great IU player, nice guy but as a coach he sucked. Players threatened to quit. IU fired him & brought in Knight.

I don’t know if May is the answer but I’m for giving him a shot if IU can't get a big name coach

Reactions: kmathum
May is a good Coach Who will have great opportunities to make more money than sitting on the bench next to Woodson for a year. And the Coach in waiting thing doesn't always work out. Ask Mike Hopkins the former Syracuse player and assistant Coach in waiting to Jim Boehiem. Jim stayed forever and Hopkins got tired of waiting and took the Head Coaching Job at Washington ( where He was recently fired).

We need to get away from the "We need an Indiana Guy/ knight Disciple" thought process. I had the privilege of being on Campus in the mid 1970's and watch Knight Coach the great 75 and 76 Teams, But I will be 73 this Year. Those of Us Who were there in the Knight Glory Years are ageing, dying off, and may not be in the physical condition to buy tickets and attend games, or have the financial status to support the program in other ways.

It is time We look outside the Indiana Box and get someone with a fresh perspective.
It would have to be a defined time frame - 1 or 2 years, max.

It worked for Purdue with Painter and it still took time for Painter to hit his stride.

But no longer in the PPR&UC, right?
I’ve never been a member there either. That’s something the members of the NNW&CC made up for those that don’t meet the criteria for their club. Hell, I was proclaimed a member months after I said Archie wasn’t working out at IU. I didn’t whine about it at all, let alone incessantly and dared to speculate it wouldn’t happen after the 4th season. It likely wouldn’t have if the season ending melt down hadn’t motivated some big money fans to cover it.

I guess im an independent. 😎

I don’t recall the PP part. What’s that?

Last edited:
It would have to be a defined time frame - 1 or 2 years, max.

It worked for Purdue with Painter and it still took time for Painter to hit his stride.
Painter was a successful head coach at So. Illinois for 2 seasons before he signed on as "co-head coach" at Purdue. He was also 34 years old. Woodson was 63 when he was hired....as a first time college head coach. The comparisons are futile. And the last time Purdue did not make the NCAA tournament was the 92-93 season. Purdue is the premier college basketball program in Indiana right now. They have 7 players committed next season.....Indiana has none. IU isn't "big brother" any more. Maybe "jealous, annoying neighbor"....but certainly not "big brother".

May is a good Coach Who will have great opportunities to make more money than sitting on the bench next to Woodson for a year. And the Coach in waiting thing doesn't always work out. Ask Mike Hopkins the former Syracuse player and assistant Coach in waiting to Jim Boehiem. Jim stayed forever and Hopkins got tired of waiting and took the Head Coaching Job at Washington ( where He was recently fired).

We need to get away from the "We need an Indiana Guy/ knight Disciple" thought process. I had the privilege of being on Campus in the mid 1970's and watch Knight Coach the great 75 and 76 Teams, But I will be 73 this Year. Those of Us Who were there in the Knight Glory Years are ageing, dying off, and may not be in the physical condition to buy tickets and attend games, or have the financial status to support the program in other ways.

It is time We look outside the Indiana Box and get someone with a fresh perspective.
Woodson is not a Disciple of RMK. His style, if you can call it a style, is NBA. He played for coach Knight but their coaching philosophy is entirely different.

I’ve never been a member there either. That’s something the members of the NNW&CC made up for those that don’t meet the criteria for their club. Hell, I was proclaimed a member months after I said Archie wasn’t working out at IU. I didn’t whine about it at all, let alone incessantly and dared to speculate it wouldn’t happen after the 4th season. It likely wouldn’t have if the season ending melt down hadn’t motivated some big money fans to cover it.

I guess im an independent. 😎

I don’t recall the PP part. What’s that?
Pedantic Polly.

Painter was a successful head coach at So. Illinois for 2 seasons before he signed on as "co-head coach" at Purdue. He was also 34 years old. Woodson was 63 when he was hired....as a first time college head coach. The comparisons are futile. And the last time Purdue did not make the NCAA tournament was the 92-93 season. Purdue is the premier college basketball program in Indiana right now. They have 7 players committed next season.....Indiana has none. IU isn't "big brother" any more. Maybe "jealous, annoying neighbor"....but certainly not "big brother".
Yes, that's why May coming here as 'coach in waiting' isn't so far-fetched.

lol I'm not comparing Painter to Woodson. I was using Painter coming to Purdue as coach-in-waiting.

lol I'm not comparing Painter to Woodson. I was using Painter coming to Purdue as coach-in-waiting.
But Painter played for Keady..and was groomed to be Purdue's coach. That was the plan....and it worked. May would be on his own...cleaning up a mess with his bare hands. You can't bring Dusty May to IU as an assistant when he could be coaching at OSU or Louisville as the head coach. Not gonna happen. Both of those programs are already on IU's level at the very least.

But Painter played for Keady..and was groomed to be Purdue's coach. That was the plan....and it worked. May would be on his own...cleaning up a mess with his bare hands. You can't bring Dusty May to IU as an assistant when he could be coaching at OSU or Louisville as the head coach. Not gonna happen. Both of those programs are already on IU's level at the very least.
May studied under Knight. It's a totally comparable situation.

Not saying it's going to happen, but it's not unprecedented,

May studied under Knight. It's a totally comparable situation.

Not saying it's going to happen, but it's not unprecedented,
So Woodson is supposed to buy into this arrangement...training his replacement? Hell....he ran off Matta and Fife...either of which would have done a better job coaching this team. He wouldn't put himself into that position....he likes the job security too much. And he has it....

Things required for this:

1. May would have to want the IU head coaching job so bad he’d be willing to wait two years on the bench behind Woodson.
2. Woodson would have to be comfortable with and willing to have May on the bench knowing May replaces him when he leaves.
3. Woodson would have to agree to retire in no more than two years.
4. Woodson would need to allow May to actually coach in practice (they’d have to figure out how this would work) and be his main advisor during games.
5. IU would have to pay him something more than he’s getting at FAU.
6. IU has to guarantee head coach to May after not more than two seasons.

Sure, it’s possible, but unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indymoon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT