ADVERTISEMENT

Chill wave from Great Lakes Brewery...

Correct. It's very good.

I wish it was a bit drier. It is a bit sweet and syrupy for me to be one of the absolute best IIPAs but it's really good. I've always been a big fan of Great Lakes.

Speaking of syrupy beverages I'm drinking a two year old Founders Devil Dancer. It's 12% and basically has turned into a Barleywine, although that's really what a triple IPA is in the first place. It's decent. Definitely a sipper but one of my least favorite beverages from my favorite brewery.

Picked up a few different bottles of Founders

Yesterday that I've not tried yet...

4 packs of Imperial Stout and Breakfast Stout. Then snagged the last two bottles of KBS as well from the shelf. Three people came in after me while I was in the checkout line looking for KBS.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Nice.

all three are world class. Imperial Stout is probably my favorite of the three, but they're all great. I haven't found a brewery yet that makes better stouts.

I had Boulevard's The Calling, their IPA in the Smokestack Series.

I liked it. A lot.

I think brewers are taking the same "How to make a great IPA" class, because the similarities from some of these guys are pretty remarkable.

I haven't seen that one yet.

what would you compare it to? I really like Boulevard but I don't care for their IPAs other than Last Splash. I try most of their stuff though. The last one I really liked was their Smokestack Series coffee imperial stout. It was really fantastic. Saison Brett is their best beer though. Their brewer, Jeremy Danner, agrees with me for what that's worth.

Mr. Hoops Cat is coming to town this week with a car full of Three Floyds and 18th Street. I can't wait. It's good to have Internet beer nerd friends.

And that class is being taught in Oregon. :)

Seriously though, its has been nice to visit the midwest the past couple of years with the growing number of west coast styles available now. Outstanding beer can be found anywhere now, which couldn't have been said even 5 years ago. Its a great time to be alive for beer lovers.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Was that a back handed compliment?

finally, west coast styles are available in the midwest?

West coast IPAs are good, but they aren't the end all be all....

Although do love me some of them....

Nah, it was meant to be a front handed compliment. Actually Fat Heads Brewery from Cleveland recently opened a brew pub in Portland and make some of the better beer in town. Guess its just nice to go back to the midwest and have many more options now than 5 years ago.

This post was edited on 3/31 11:29 PM by FrankTGucker

Good...

because I was about to get mid-evil on your ass.

Except, I have nothing of substance to post, just that my beer is better than your beer.

Unless, your beer is better than mine, or, maybe harder to get?

In which case, want to trade?

I haven't really liked their IPA's, either.

But The Calling is really good. 8 different hops, including Mosaic. Very fruity, a little boozy. Similar to ..... Chillwave, without the extra sweetness. Definitely on the drier side.

Don't really care for the Chillwave but love the Lake Eerie Monster

from Great Lakes. The chillwave just doesn't do much for me, but in contrast I love the Lake Eerie Monster which should come out here in a couple of months. I was just up in Grand Rapids and attempted to find the KBS, and was unable to locate it. The KBS seems like it's on a limited release from Founder's, and it's a lot like 3 Floyds and their Dark Lord. It's only available for a limited time so everyone wants it. Reminds me of the Cartman theory from South Park when he gets an amusement park and won't let anyone in. Eventually he's forced to let a few people in, and all of a sudden the once failing amusement park becomes thriving because he had excluded them. Reminds me a lot of these limited release beers honestly. Although, the same friend got me Hopslam about a month ago, and that was amazing.

This post was edited on 4/1 10:57 AM by MtPeter04

I'll let you know what I think....

need to transport them home from work before enjoying.....might crack a few open this weekend

It looks something like this...

For realz....

tumblr_nm4wtz8nS91u4n7tco1_540.jpg

Holy crap.

I don't doubt it. I have prepared Mrs. Ptown for the ridiculous haul you're bringing. I've been trying to be disciplined by not buying much beer to make room in the beer fridge too. I did just pick up a couple KBS singles and a Boulevard Imperial Stout Cofee though. I couldn't help myself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT