ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago politics and events

Only a Democrat Mayor would work that hard to deflect blame away from their own parties failed policies... Who's he gonna blame next? Grover Cleveland?

Something something “root causes” something something “historic disinvestment”.

That man is the dumbest wind up doll ever.

Something something “root causes” something something “historic disinvestment”.

That man is the dumbest wind up doll ever.
I’m going to defend him a little here. He’s right about some of these things and we’ve discussed them on this forum before. Black violence today can’t be pinned on a current politician. It runs deeper than that and the causes are older than that. And he’s right about who he claims are the perpetrators of the violence are.

Not sure what he’s referring to with Nixon. Many conservatives though, point to and blame LBJs Great Society and the construction of high rises in the ghettos, concentrating the poverty and creating generations of people thinking they can only live on, and are entitled to, government assistance.

His call for federal authorities to help is a good one. Let’s have the National Guard role in and police these neighborhoods. Maybe get FBI and CIA type surveillance going to catch the bad guys. Not sure he’s thought that comment through . . .

Last edited:
I’m going to defend him a little here. He’s right about some of these things and we’ve discussed them on this forum before. Black violence today can’t be pinned on a current politician. It runs deeper than that and the causes are older than that. And he’s right about who he claims are the perpetrators of the violence are.

Not sure what he’s referring to with Nixon. Many conservatives though, point to and blame LBJs Great Society and the construction of high rise in the ghettos, concentrating the poverty and creating generations of people thinking they can only live on, and are entitled to, government assistance.

His call for federal authorities to help is a good one. Let’s have the National Guard role in and police these neighborhoods. Maybe get FBI and CIA type surveillance going to catch the bad guys. Not sure he’s thought that comment through . . .
High rise in ghettos was a big mistake. Urban planning for years has called for low slung developments with a path to ownership. Not a panacea but helps

Reactions: BradStevens

Not sure what he’s referring to with Nixon. Many conservatives though, point to and blame LBJs Great Society and the construction of high rise in the ghettos, concentrating the poverty and creating generations of people thinking they can only live on, and are entitled to, government assistance.

As to your first paragraph, I don’t agree. The formula for lowering violent crime is a simple one.

Arrest violent criminals + prosecute violent crime aggressively + long sentences = less violent crime.

No one is putting The Great Society or the War on Drugs back in the box so it’s useless to dwell on possible historical causes. That type of thinking leads to idiots that think more city funded summer jobs and after school programs is a solution to violent crime.

The chances of federal intervention are scant, it would kill him politically. And the chances are absolute zero if Trump becomes president.

This is a statewide issue, but this article really shows how broken the Illinois pension and educational system is, w/r/t cost controls:

Keep in mind, Illinois has the most or close to the most school districts (and so more district superintendents) per capita than any other state in the U.S.

The only location more corrupt than Chicago? Louisiana. With New Jersey and St. Louis coming up fast. All Democratic hellholes. What a destructive organization.

Reactions: ulrey

You are right that it can't be blamed on a single person. But it can be blamed on a single political party.

Reactions: ulrey
19 killed over 4th of July weekend, over 100 shot. Good numbers. Great numbers actually.

But I think the DNC can top it. I have to believe they will.

Democratic voters had a chance to vote in a different Lefty who at least would have taken on the crime issue. They instead chose this racist clown. Very sad situation.

As to your first paragraph, I don’t agree. The formula for lowering violent crime is a simple one.

Arrest violent criminals + prosecute violent crime aggressively + long sentences = less violent crime.

No one is putting The Great Society or the War on Drugs back in the box so it’s useless to dwell on possible historical causes. That type of thinking leads to idiots that think more city funded summer jobs and after school programs is a solution to violent crime.

The chances of federal intervention are scant, it would kill him politically. And the chances are absolute zero if Trump becomes president.
Can’t punish these poor folks for crimes that weren’t their fault, & this mindset has allowed prosecutors to remove accountability from the equation without resistance. They have been conditioned to believe their crime is justified.

Disagree strongly that it is useless to dwell on causes. McMurtry's post is a good example of lessons learned.

Re arrests: most of these homicides are never solved because of the no-snitch code in these communities. I don't see how stronger prosecution changes that.

By the way, the call for the National Guard to step in is an old one:

Disagree strongly that it is useless to dwell on causes. McMurtry's post is a good example of lessons learned.

Re arrests: most of these homicides are never solved because of the no-snitch code in these communities. I don't see how stronger prosecution changes that.

By the way, the call for the National Guard to step in is an old one:

Solving homicides isn't the issue. It's preventing them. How many homicide perpetrators have a rap sheet? All of them? Aggressively, going after lower level and other forms of violent crime puts the perpetrators behind bars before they can commit a homicide.

The National Guard calls never come to fruition. They didn't during Daley and they didn't during Lightfoot. At best they're an occupation force that deters crime while they're dispatched to neighborhoods. Is the solution to keep them there indefinitely? It's not like they have any investigatory or law enforcement capacity.

Lots of good information in here:

By 2016, Chicago's murder clearance rate had dropped to only 21%, and its detective force had dwindled from 1,151 in 2009 to 863 as of July 2016.[43][44] Warmer months have significantly higher murder rates, and over 70% of murders take place between 7 pm and 5 am.[45][46]

In 2011, 83% of murders involved a firearm, and 6.4% were the result of a stabbing. 10% of murders in 2011 were the result of an armed robbery and at least 60% were gang or gang narcotics altercations. Over 40% of victims and 60% of offenders were between the ages of 17 and 25. 90.1% of victims were male. 75.3% of victims and 70.5% of offenders were African American, 18.9% were Hispanic (20.3% of offenders), and whites were 5.6% of victims (3.5% of offenders).[45]

Murder rates in Chicago vary greatly depending on the neighborhood in question. Many of the predominantly African American neighborhoods on the South Side are impoverished, lack educational resources and noted for high levels of street gang activity.[47] The neighborhoods of Englewood on the South Side, and Austin on the West side, for example, have homicide rates that are ten times higher than other parts of the city.[48]
Solving homicides isn't the issue. It's preventing them. How many homicide perpetrators have a rap sheet? All of them? Aggressively, going after lower level and other forms of violent crime puts the perpetrators behind bars before they can commit a homicide.

The National Guard calls never come to fruition. They didn't during Daley and they didn't during Lightfoot. At best they're an occupation force that deters crime while they're dispatched to neighborhoods. Is the solution to keep them there indefinitely? It's not like they have any investigatory or law enforcement capacity.
OK, I understand your argument. You have a point. Are you saying you don’t think deterrence plays a role at all?

Re the National Guard, I don’t know for how long. Years. Until the cycle is broken. Probably only need them for the summers, though.

Lots of good information in here:

By 2016, Chicago's murder clearance rate had dropped to only 21%, and its detective force had dwindled from 1,151 in 2009 to 863 as of July 2016.[43][44] Warmer months have significantly higher murder rates, and over 70% of murders take place between 7 pm and 5 am.[45][46]

In 2011, 83% of murders involved a firearm, and 6.4% were the result of a stabbing. 10% of murders in 2011 were the result of an armed robbery and at least 60% were gang or gang narcotics altercations. Over 40% of victims and 60% of offenders were between the ages of 17 and 25. 90.1% of victims were male. 75.3% of victims and 70.5% of offenders were African American, 18.9% were Hispanic (20.3% of offenders), and whites were 5.6% of victims (3.5% of offenders).[45]

Murder rates in Chicago vary greatly depending on the neighborhood in question. Many of the predominantly African American neighborhoods on the South Side are impoverished, lack educational resources and noted for high levels of street gang activity.[47] The neighborhoods of Englewood on the South Side, and Austin on the West side, for example, have homicide rates that are ten times higher than other parts of the city.[48]

OK, I understand your argument. You have a point. Are you saying you don’t think deterrence plays a role at all?

Re the National Guard, I don’t know for how long. Years. Until the cycle is broken. Probably only need them for the summers, though.
I’m not averse to the National Guard at all. But this is the same Mayoral administration that thought/ thinks Shotspotter technology is “racist”. The idea that they would send guardsmen into the most dangerous neighborhoods is far fetched imo. It would be called discriminatory.

Trump extended a hand to Pritzker and Lightfoot (granted in a Trumpian, divisive way) but it was earnest. There’s no doubt in my mind BJ would rather see the violence continue than be seen collaborating with a Trump administration on public safety. Maybe a Democratic administration would be more possible.

High rise in ghettos was a big mistake. Urban planning for years has called for low slung developments with a path to ownership. Not a panacea but helps
Easy access to private life coaching !!! I would rather this NOT be a swamp initiative, I would love to see this from successful social justice warriors. Put "your" mouths to leadership instead of bitching about the man. Looking at you @UncleMark . Go share the steps to success instead of bitching about the man.

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
High rises? You're coming awfully close to Secretary Buttigieg, "The Roads are racist" here.

I've lived in a high rise since graduating IUB (which for the sake of sanity I need to put an end to soon). Maybe the shortest building was five floors, still I've never seen one drug deal in the building, only one shooting but it was out by the dumpster at 3 AM and the people weren't tenants.

You head north along Chicago's lakefront hitting Streeterville, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview its nothing but high rise apartments and condominiums. What's the beef? There's nothing inherent about high rises that leads to violent behaivor.

Cabrini green is low rises now, still have a cruiser parked at every entrance into the project as a warning to clueless passerby's "don't walk through here". The infamous O-block is also a low rise.

It seems Chicago has overwhelmingly taken this Urban planning advice to heart to little effect. More excuse making for feral people that need to be put down.

High rises? You're coming awfully close to Secretary Buttigieg, "The Roads are racist" here.

I've lived in a high rise since graduating IUB (which for the sake of sanity I need to put an end to soon). Maybe the shortest building was five floors, still I've never seen one drug deal in the building, only one shooting but it was out by the dumpster at 3 AM and the people weren't tenants.

You head north along Chicago's lakefront hitting Streeterville, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview its nothing but high rise apartments and condominiums. What's the beef? There's nothing inherent about high rises that leads to violent behaivor.

Cabrini green is low rises now, still have a cruiser parked at every entrance into the project as a warning to clueless passerby's "don't walk through here". The infamous O-block is also a low rise.

It seems Chicago has overwhelmingly taken this Urban planning advice to heart to little effect. More excuse making for feral people that need to be put down.
Yes Cabrini was the impetus behind the movement. Tons of research re the relationship between public housing poverty and crime. The idea that high rises concentrated crime and were bad for families. So they were razed all over the country and replaced with townhomes spread out around town. The idea that de concentrating poverty and dispersing residents around a wider area would result in net reductions in violent crime. I haven’t looked at the outcomes of all that in some time

No one is arguing that high rises inherently lead to violent behavior.

It was the plantation that Democrats wanted to keep Blacks on. Make them dependent on government and you have their vote. Sell them the thought of victim hood and they bought in, no different than what happened in Germany where everything was the Jews fault. Personal responsibility for Blacks went away with Johnson's Great Society. Social change by government mandate, no different than what progressives are forcing upon American people today. Republicans are pushing back unlike the 60's.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
It was the plantation that Democrats wanted to keep Blacks on. Make them dependent on government and you have their vote. Sell them the thought of victim hood and they bought in, no different than what happened in Germany where everything was the Jews fault. Personal responsibility for Blacks went away with Johnson's Great Society. Social change by government mandate, no different than what progressives are forcing upon American people today. Republicans are pushing back unlike the 60's.
It is striking that the most vehemently racist presidents we’ve had are all Democrats,

Yet they have the temerity to throw that word at Republicans. These are not serious people we’re dealing with.

Progressives….

I just don’t understand it. We’ve already lived with Trump as president, the world didn’t end.

Why do they keep insisting it will in a second term? It’s so patently dishonest.
To scare people into voting for the other guy. For power.

I remember reading/hearing about how Obama's election would lead to dissenters being rounded up and sent to reeducation camps. Fringe, laughable stuff. No serious right commentators would repeat it. But now, the most outrageous stuff gets repeated by people in the mainstream, by members of Congress, by the sitting President. It's an amazing change in the last 16 years.

I just don’t understand it. We’ve already lived with Trump as president, the world didn’t end.
No revenge tour was promised for the first Trump administration. No 900 page blueprint to seize total control
Why do they keep insisting it will in a second term?
Because they are paying attention. When people tell you exactly what they intend to do, believe them.

This time, top-to-bottom, loyalty pledges will be in place. No more guardrails. If the wannabe king says "find me votes" then they will find him votes. If the wannabe King say Kill my VP, they will kill his VP. If the wannabe king says "nuke that hurricane" there will be no scientists left to speak up and say its a bad idea, since they will all have been replaced by people with the IQ of MTG or Boebert or you.
It’s so patently dishonest.
No, it's precisely the opposite

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
No revenge tour was promised for the first Trump administration. No 900 page blueprint to seize total control

Because they are paying attention. When people tell you exactly what they intend to do, believe them.

This time, top-to-bottom, loyalty pledges will be in place. No more guardrails. If the wannabe king says "find me votes" then they will find him votes. If the wannabe King say Kill my VP, they will kill his VP. If the wannabe king says "nuke that hurricane" there will be no scientists left to speak up and say its a bad idea, since they will all have been replaced by people with the IQ of MTG or Boebert or you.

These are histrionics. If you actually believe the world will end or “Democracy is on the ballot” or other such nonsense, then you are more untethered from reality than I had previously thought.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
If you actually believe the world will end or “Democracy is on the ballot” or other such nonsense, then you are more untethered from reality than I had previously thought.
It is apolitical. If I thought that any Democrat running for office was completely incapable of accepting defeat in an election, I would say that Democracy was on the ballot and that Democrat must be defeated. That's not even considering the aspect of also planning a revenge tour.

It is untethered from reality when you REFUSE to listen to what the candidate tells you he or she is going to do, and why.

It is apolitical. If I thought that any Democrat running for office was completely incapable of accepting defeat in an election, I would say that Democracy was on the ballot and that Democrat must be defeated. That's not even considering the aspect of also planning a revenge tour.

It is untethered from reality when you REFUSE to listen to what the candidate tells you he or she is going to do, and why.
Trump has never mentioned a revenge tour. You. Are. Lying.

Project 2025.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT