ADVERTISEMENT

CBS Sportswriter prediction of Football Permanent rivals

I'd much prefer Illinois, Northwestern and p u... All within reasonable driving distance of Bloomington and historically natural rivals... We could easily make Illinois and NW trophy games too...

You can be certain the Big Ten front office will make certain we get a solid dose of Michigan and Ohio State without making them "protected" rivalry games...

I'd suggest the "Split Rail" trophy (Abe Lincoln) for INDIANA vs Illinois and perhaps the "Cardinal Line" trophy (using a chunk of steel railroad rail for that one) for INDIANA vs NW...

Last edited:
If the league had a way to prevent OSU from playing Michigan they would do it.
But since they can’t,expect them to get a couple patsies like IU and maybe NW.
The conference would never try to prevent OSU and UM from playing each other, even if somehow they could. Those two schools and their rivalry literally define Big Ten football for generations of fans and are largely responsible for the television ratings and money that has flowed from the rights associated with them. They are the universally recognized bell cows of the conference, and the resumption of their rivalry every November is the centerpiece of BT football. If anything, they’d likely prefer they be able to play more, not less, often.

If the league had a way to prevent OSU from playing Michigan they would do it.
But since they can’t,expect them to get a couple patsies like IU and maybe NW.
I disagree, it’s all about $$$$. The narrative that the Big Ten “takes care” of OSU is false. They were 100% against playing on Friday’s and have twice. Their crossover games seem to be tough. Just looking at last year they had Wisconsin, Iowa and NW. They just canceled a home and home with Washington, which leads me to believe that they will get USC next year.

It’s all about TV and eyes on the TV’s. Nobody draws more eyes from a national standpoint from our conference than OSU. They (the B1G) wants them in big time matchups. They don’t give a damn about anything that won’t make them money. With a 12 team playoff, they can afford to pair 2 heavyweights together every season and get 2-3 teams in. Just my 2 cents.

I disagree, it’s all about $$$$. The narrative that the Big Ten “takes care” of OSU is false. They were 100% against playing on Friday’s and have twice. Their crossover games seem to be tough. Just looking at last year they had Wisconsin, Iowa and NW. They just canceled a home and home with Washington, which leads me to believe that they will get USC next year.

It’s all about TV and eyes on the TV’s. Nobody draws more eyes from a national standpoint from our conference than OSU. They (the B1G) wants them in big time matchups. They don’t give a damn about anything that won’t make them money. With a 12 team playoff, they can afford to pair 2 heavyweights together every season and get 2-3 teams in. Just my 2 cents.
Oh grasshopper.....

The conference would never try to prevent OSU and UM from playing each other, even if somehow they could. Those two schools and their rivalry literally define Big Ten football for generations of fans and are largely responsible for the television ratings and money that has flowed from the rights associated with them. They are the universally recognized bell cows of the conference, and the resumption of their rivalry every November is the centerpiece of BT football. If anything, they’d likely prefer they be able to play more, not less, often.
Good idea, let OSU & Michigan open with each other
and close with each other.

Reactions: DANC
Can almost guarantee the B10 isn't splitting up Michigan and Ohio State and you can best be assured they are going to put another low tier tandem (PU/IU or Ill/NW) in their with them to prevent the chance of those two from losing multiple games.

Can almost guarantee the B10 isn't splitting up Michigan and Ohio State and you can best be assured they are going to put another low tier tandem (PU/IU or Ill/NW) in their with them to prevent the chance of those two from losing multiple games.
If we have 3 guaranteed games, it will be Purdue and 2 from Michigan, O$U, Ped State, or MSU.

Purdue will get us, Northwestern, and Illinois. Book it.

I saw a different take … https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/the-b1g-10/

The format: 3 permanent rivals, and 6 rotating games, allowing each player to play each Big Ten team home and away in 4 seasons.

“No one is going to be happy, but understand this: USC and UCLA each must get at least 1 of the 2 closest (geographically) rivals to alleviate travel issues. And that could strain some historic rivalries.

Again, not everyone is going to be happy.

Illinois: Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue
Indiana: Purdue, Maryland, USC
Iowa: Minnesota, Wisconsin, UCLA
Maryland: Indiana, Rutgers, Penn State
Michigan: Michigan State, Ohio State, Rutgers
Michigan State: Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State
Minnesota: Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin
Nebraska: Illinois, Minnesota, USC
Northwestern: Illinois, Michigan State, Wisconsin
Ohio State: Michigan, Penn State, Rutgers
Penn State: Maryland, Michigan State, Ohio State
Purdue: Illinois, Indiana, UCLA
Rutgers: Maryland, Michigan, Ohio State
UCLA: Iowa, Purdue, USC
USC: Indiana, Nebraska, UCLA
Wisconsin: Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern”

If we have 3 guaranteed games, it will be Purdue and 2 from Michigan, O$U, Ped State, or MSU.

Purdue will get us, Northwestern, and Illinois. Book it.
I think they should do Pods.

Pod 1
IU/PU/OSU/UM

Pod 2
Rutgers/Maryland/MSU/PSU

Pod 3
ILL/NW/Wisconsin/Minny

Pod 4
Nebraska/Iowa/USC/UCLA

Play your POD every year + all 4 teams from a 2nd POD in rotation and that leaves 2 open ended B10 games for protected rivalries from outside your POD, etc.

I saw a different take … https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/the-b1g-10/

The format: 3 permanent rivals, and 6 rotating games, allowing each player to play each Big Ten team home and away in 4 seasons.

“No one is going to be happy, but understand this: USC and UCLA each must get at least 1 of the 2 closest (geographically) rivals to alleviate travel issues. And that could strain some historic rivalries.

USC: Indiana, Nebraska, UCLA
There is no way we don't have either O$U or Michigan every year.

Woody Hayes will come out of his grave to ensure it.

Pod 1
IU/PU/OSU/UM

Pod 2
Rutgers/Maryland/MSU/PSU

Pod 3
ILL/NW/Wisconsin/Minny

Pod 4
Nebraska/Iowa/USC/UCLA

Play your POD every year + all 4 teams from a 2nd POD in rotation and that leaves 2 open ended B10 games for protected rivalries from outside your POD, etc.
I like the plan that has 3 protected teams and a player who plays all 4 years plays and home and away game with all the other teams.

If the pods allow for that, I'm OK with it.

Pod 1
IU/PU/OSU/UM

Pod 2
Rutgers/Maryland/MSU/PSU

Pod 3
ILL/NW/Wisconsin/Minny

Pod 4
Nebraska/Iowa/USC/UCLA

They should do pods according to how much NIL money u spend. Mich, OSU, USC and the next big spender should be in this pod

USC: Indiana, Nebraska, UCLAinsidr
Hopefully that writer doesn't have "inside information" because if does we got royally screwed again... How, by any stretch, should MD and USC qualify as protected rivals...

The scary thing is that it's just stupid enough for the Big Ten front offices to have actually done it... 😖

It's probably hard to find protected rivals for USC and UCLA. New additions to the conference (UCLA, USC, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska) don't really have long established rivals

If I had to pick 3 rivals for IU, it would probably be PU, Michigan St and Illinois. Although the question would be if we would make those teams top 3 in rivals.

Personally, I would just do pods and only have 1 protected rival

Indiana - Purdue
Illinois - Northwestern
Michigan - Ohio State
Wisconsin - Minnesota
Iowa - Nebraska
Rutgers - Maryland
Penn State - Michigan State
UCLA - USC

I don't know what other schools necessarily think is their biggest rival so a few of those may be off.

If I had to do 2 rivals

Illinois - Indiana, Northwestern
Indiana - Purdue, Illinois
Iowa - Wisconsin, Minnesota
Maryland - Rutgers, Northwestern
Michigan - Michigan St, Ohio State
Michigan St - Michigan, Purdue
Minnesota - Iowa, Wisconsin
Northwestern - Illinois, Maryland
Ohio St - Michigan, Penn State
Penn State - Ohio State, Rutgers
Purdue - Indiana, Michigan St
Rutgers - Maryland, Penn State
Nebraska - USC, UCLA
UCLA - USC, Nebraska
USC - UCLA, Nebraska
Wisconsin - Minnesota, Iowa

PODS
1) East Division: Maryland, Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State
2) Not so East Division: Michigan, Michigan St, Purdue, Indiana
3) Not so West Divison: Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin
4) West Division: Minnesota, Nebraska, UCLA, USC

I think the above separates it well enough and puts schools together that are located close together (outside of pod 4 but no pod with the CA teams is going to be close to each other).

Hopefully that writer doesn't have "inside information" because if does we got royally screwed again... How, by any stretch, should MD and USC qualify as protected rivals...

The scary thing is that it's just stupid enough for the Big Ten front offices to have actually done it... 😖
Only think I can figure out is they want IU to travel as much as possible, with USC and Maryland being on opposite coasts.

But you're right - it's stupid enough that the B1G will do it.

I still think O$U will kill to have us as their protected rival.

• Haha
Reactions: Jackskip23
It's probably hard to find protected rivals for USC and UCLA. New additions to the conference (UCLA, USC, Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska) don't really have long established rivals

If I had to pick 3 rivals for IU, it would probably be PU, Michigan St and Illinois. Although the question would be if we would make those teams top 3 in rivals.

Indiana - Purdue
Illinois - Northwestern
Michigan - Ohio State
Wisconsin - Minnesota
Iowa - Nebraska
Rutgers - Maryland
UCLA - USC

I don't know what other schools necessarily think is their biggest rival so a few of those may be off.

If I had to do 2 rivals

Nebraska - USC, UCLA
UCLA - USC, Nebraska
USC - UCLA, Nebraska

PODS

I think the above separates it well enough and puts schools together that are located close together (outside of pod 4 but no pod with the CA teams is going to be close to each other).
I like your pod selections. All 4 have good and not-so-good teams and seem to be split fairly.

Reactions: 76-1 and midwolfe

Indiana - Purdue
Illinois - Northwestern
Michigan - Ohio StateEdit
Wisconsin - Minnesota
Iowa - Nebraska
Rutgers - Maryland
UCLA - USC

If I had to do 2 rivals

Nebraska - USC, UCLA
UCLA - USC, Nebraska
USC - UCLA, Nebraska

PODS

You sure gave Maryland an easy go but I do like your pods groupings.

Reactions: red hornet
I would get rid of Purdue as a rival! They and their retarded fans just arent worth it anymore! Instead I’d start a rivalry with UCLA in football being both are 2 historically great basketball programs! Keep MSU with the Brass Spittoon, and either Illini or NW as a border war!

I would get rid of Purdue as a rival! They and their retarded fans just arent worth it anymore! Instead I’d start a rivalry with UCLA in football being both are 2 historically great basketball programs! Keep MSU with the Brass Spittoon, and either Illini or NW as a border war!
I get your point and it could break IU out of the staying with tradition to the detriment of some programs. If by a miracle that your suggestion comes through, it could be a good rivals grouping for IU.

Last edited:
I would like to see the bruins and the Trojans have a home and home with every team in the conference. That would take three seasons. if they would really be trying to come up with a balance schedule there's a few teams that would probably be kicked out of the league

Only think I can figure out is they want IU to travel as much as possible, with USC and Maryland being on opposite coasts.

But you're right - it's stupid enough that the B1G will do it.

I still think O$U will kill to have us as their protected rival.
There’s no logic from OSU’s perspective as to why they’d “kill” to play us? What do we do for them? Our fanbase doesn’t travel, they already get who they want from Indiana and our games vs them are on their lowest tier ticket prices. Their fans already give us as much respect as they give Akron or Miami.

Last edited:
IU’s all time record against OSU is 12-76-5 and we haven’t beaten them in 35 years which is embarrassing and ridiculous.Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.
Not hard to understand why their fans think of us in the manner that they think of Akron and Miami.

Indiana - Purdue
Illinois - Northwestern
Michigan - Ohio State
Wisconsin - Minnesota
Iowa - Nebraska
Rutgers - Maryland
UCLA - USC

If I had to do 2 rivals

Nebraska - USC, UCLA
UCLA - USC, Nebraska
USC - UCLA, Nebraska

PODS

If I were in charge of the conference, I would add 4 more teams ( in addition to USC and UCLA). Then I would split the conference into 2 divisions - the original 10 and the "new" 10. Then I would play 9 conference games with the two divisions never playing each other until the conference championship game. :)

If I were in charge of the conference,
(As echoed by earlier commenters) I feel 100% confident in saying that those who do run the conference are completely committed to running football scheduling as a TV scheduler would. I’d guess more than half of the members of the league will see more from TV revenues than they could imagine sniffing from either ticket revenue (which is shared/pooled on a conference level) or via leveraged donations that flow directly into each University’s pocket.

I’d imagine that every protestation of “That’s not fair” when it comes to scheduling will be answered with “and how much are you willing to forego from your share of the TV contract?”

To look at it another way, the past TV contracts had some major restrictions in them that benefited B10 schools…things like Homecoming game times scheduled in the spring, no night games late in the (cold) season, and night games needing to be declared to less than 12 days in advance. That the B10 held these in place as long as they did is a minor miracle. But the fact that NBC will have 16 night games in a 13 week schedule (Black Friday, Labor Day Sunday are at least two of the extras) shows that the thirst for money has eliminated the last fan considerations that had existed.

If I were in charge of the conference, I would add 4 more teams ( in addition to USC and UCLA). Then I would split the conference into 2 divisions - the original 10 and the "new" 10. Then I would play 9 conference games with the two divisions never playing each other until the conference championship game. :)
I would go one step further. I would take the original 10 teams in this mega conference and spin them off as a separate conference. I think the Big 10 would be a good name for it.

The rumor is in April when Warren is gone the B10 will
add Washington and Oregon.

Because it isn’t now nor was it ever his decision, per se. His departure isn’t, in any way, relevant to whether any other school joins.
Then why was it mentioned it would happen after he leaves.

Go back in your hole, Ordy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT