ADVERTISEMENT

Can we land Romeo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that CAM is discussing keeping the signed recruits on board. I thought Dayton had been involved with one of them, so we might not lose both that have asked to get out of their LOI.

I find it interesting that CAM is discussing keeping the signed recruits on board. I thought Dayton had been involved with one of them, so we might not lose both that have asked to get out of their LOI.
If we can somehow keep two of three out of bryant, og and jbj we could be pretty good next year. However, they would have to buy into playing a different style which includes playing defense.

If we can somehow keep two of three out of bryant, og and jbj we could be pretty good next year. However, they would have to buy into playing a different style which includes playing defense.

I'm not concerned about TB or OG embracing a new approach, but JBJ concerns me in that regard.

I'd say there's a 2% chance OG comes back.

I'm on my knees hoping Blackmon leaves as I don't think he even cares about playing defense.

Bryant I'm 50/50 on.

I think Archie's biggest problem will be selling the stud recruits on his ability to develop them for the next level.

Archie will focus on recruiting Indiana High School players. Inside Out Recruiting focus.

Last edited:
Romeo is not leaning our direction right now. But let's see what happens over the next few months.
no he isn't, but IIRC his parents want him to play closer to home than Duke (his favorite) so things could heat up

same with Keion Brooks and MSU (although it sounds like he didn't have a great Finals game)

He needs to sell Romeo and Garland on playing with the combo of a Sr. Morgan, Jr. Davis makes for a NC core and he plays a short rotation so o ly would need a few others to play solid in the 5th role. Depending on who else stays they may already be here. Jones could be a nice defender with his length. Green should be tough by then as well.

Reactions: pdtkkg and Iuzach04
EJ was ranked #2 in the country.
I thought towards the end he dropped to around 5 in most polls but I think it would be equal in effect. EG had White and Romeo would have Davis which fit both their games perfectly.

Romeo is a game changer. And a program changer.

This is no knock on IU, but i believe Romeo is a one-and-done type player. Unless that's what CAM wants, I just don't see Romeo going to IU or UofL for that matter. Not too many one-and-done players have played at those schools. Like i said not knocking them for this, but doesn't seem like a player to stay around. I guess we will see.

This is no knock on IU, but i believe Romeo is a one-and-done type player. Unless that's what CAM wants, I just don't see Romeo going to IU or UofL for that matter. Not too many one-and-done players have played at those schools. Like i said not knocking them for this, but doesn't seem like a player to stay around. I guess we will see.
Coaches want talent...coaches don't just target one and dones they target the best talent. If they happen to be one and done so be it.

Reactions: reabhnt
Coaches want talent...coaches don't just target one and dones they target the best talent. If they happen to be one and done so be it.

I don't disagree with that, but if your a one-and-done type player, who would you rather choose from Duke/UK (who are both known for sending one-and-done talent to the NBA) or UofL/IU (where majority, if not all of them in recent time have stayed 2-3-4 years) I'm saying all this from Romeo's perspective, not the coaches.

Romeo can come to IU and be a legend and have a chance at a National Championship. If he went to Duke he would be just another player. At IU he would be a state-wide hero. Duke is made for Prep School players and recruit nationally with very little North Carolina footprint or influence. IU is a huge part of Indiana Basketball. IU has complete state wide passion and support. Playing at IU Romeo will be recognized as a hero anywhere he goes in the state, for the rest of his life. Archie is one of the brightest young basketball coaches in the country with an unlimited amount of energy and passion for the sport. Coach K is almost done at Duke, he is in the twilight of his career who has given up coaching USA Basketball at this late stage of his career. Archie is a part of USA Basketball going forward and is a coach on the USA Junior National Team. There really is no comparison. Indiana Basketball is king in our state. There is no place like it in the country. In 49 states it's just Basketball. But this is Indiana.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with that, but if your a one-and-done type player, who would you rather choose from Duke/UK (who are both known for sending one-and-done talent to the NBA) or UofL/IU (where majority, if not all of them in recent time have stayed 2-3-4 years) I'm saying all this from Romeo's perspective, not the coaches.
If you are a one and done you are a one and done. Its not the school.....IU has had them, LSU, Washington, Arizona, etc..Its not like the UK/Duke are turning them into one and done so I am not sure I understand your rational.

Romeo can come to IU and be a legend and have a chance at a National Championship. If he went to Duke he would be just another player. At IU he would be a state-wide hero. Duke is made for Prep School players and recruit nationally with very little North Carolina footprint or influence. IU is a huge part of Indiana Basketball. IU has complete state wide passion and support. Playing at IU Romeo will be recognized as a hero anywhere he goes in the state, for the rest of his life. Archie is one of the brightest young basketball coaches in the country with an unlimited amount of energy and passion for the spirt. Coach K is almost done at Duke, he is in the twilight of his career who has given up coaching USA Basketball at this late stage of his career. Archie is a part of USA Basketball going forward and is a coach on the USA Junior National Team. There really is no comparison. Indiana Basketball is king in our state. There is no place like it in the country. In 49 states it's just Basketball. But this is Indiana.
You are "spot on" about the legend he would become. After all, nationally, who is Steve Alford, Damon Bailey, Tom Coverdale, Mike Lewis, Ray Tolbert, Tom Abernethy? National championship or not, these guys are legends and they will never lose their popularity/celebrity with Hoosiers. I fear that too many youngsters today don't think in those terms--they just don't project their lives beyond shooting hoops. There will be a long part of their lives doing other things. Who would have even thought of Steve Alford as a candidate for the IU coaching job had he not attended/graduated from IU? He's no Wizard of Westwood, just an Indiana kid who played 4 yrs for IU then went into coaching. No national championships. No final fours. No elite eights. Just an Indiana kid who is a state-wide legend for life, even with the PP issue. I hope Romeo has some good adults surrounding him to help him make the best decision for him and his life--both during and after BB.

Reactions: 76-1 and kkott
You are "spot on" about the legend he would become. After all, nationally, who is Steve Alford, Damon Bailey, Tom Coverdale, Mike Lewis, Ray Tolbert, Tom Abernethy? National championship or not, these guys are legends and they will never lose their popularity/celebrity with Hoosiers. I fear that too many youngsters today don't think in those terms--they just don't project their lives beyond shooting hoops. There will be a long part of their lives doing other things. Who would have even thought of Steve Alford as a candidate for the IU coaching job had he not attended/graduated from IU? He's no Wizard of Westwood, just an Indiana kid who played 4 yrs for IU then went into coaching. No national championships. No final fours. No elite eights. Just an Indiana kid who is a state-wide legend for life, even with the PP issue. I hope Romeo has some good adults surrounding him to help him make the best decision for him and his life--both during and after BB.
For the record, the "Wizard of Westwood" himself, was just an Indiana kid who played 4 years at Purdue, was mentored by some of the earliest great minds of basketball, went into coaching and had limited but not unnoticed success until later in his coaching career at UCLA. Wooden had a good 2 year record at Indiana State after coaching high school for 11 years. He was 39 when he got the UCLA job in 1948 and didn't get to a final four until 1962, his 14th year at UCLA.

Wonder if UCLA thought when they hired John Wooden that he'd bring them numerous national championships and the acclaim of the entirety of basketballdom. No and he'd never coached within 1500 miles of UCLA.

So, nobody hires themselves a national championship. They hire good people with skill and aggression and allow them the support and freedom to take the program where they can. Like the "Wizard".

Only Sam Gilbert isn't around and the NCAA is.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
what makes you say that. I have been watching him since the 8th grade and he hasn't given those around here that impression. Anything is possible but I don't think he is necessarily a OAD.

Reactions: channi
Romeo is similar to Cody Zelller, Eric Gordon, Isiah Thomas, Scott May, Kent Benson in potential impact at IU. Romeo is ranked #2 in the Nation in his class. Eric Gordon was also ranked in the top 5. Those guys were all program changers. Scott May, Benson, Isiah, Gordon were high 1st round NBA draft picks

Reactions: hoosier48
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT