ADVERTISEMENT

Can we land Romeo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Romeo if you're reading this we'd love to have you and you'd have an outstanding experience at Bloomington. And you'd get some part of, hopefully all of, a great education.

Reactions: Sassy61
I don't disagree with that, but if your a one-and-done type player, who would you rather choose from Duke/UK (who are both known for sending one-and-done talent to the NBA) or UofL/IU (where majority, if not all of them in recent time have stayed 2-3-4 years) I'm saying all this from Romeo's perspective, not the coaches.

I would go wherever the hell I wanted because if I am a true one and done I could walk onto the NBA now if I wanted. Which school I choose to play at for one year is not going to change that.

That has been Calipari's best sales job. Convincing all these kids that only he can get them to the NBA. It is a crock. All those dudes were NBA bound no matter where they went. If not for the NBA rule, many of them would never go to college.

I would go wherever the hell I wanted because if I am a true one and done I could walk onto the NBA now if I wanted. Which school I choose to play at for one year is not going to change that.

That has been Calipari's best sales job. Convincing all these kids that only he can get them to the NBA. It is a crock. All those dudes were NBA bound no matter where they went. If not for the NBA rule, many of them would never go to college.

And a few of the OAD UK recruits have ended up in the D-League, like Jakari Johnson and Aaron Harrison.

Anyone heard that his dad just got a new job being a warehouse manager in Louisville paying 6 figures? Just a rumor I heard have no idea if it is true or not

Calipari promises he will get his recruits right into the Association.
Almost none improve the draft status in their one year with Calipari.

Archie plays a Motion Offense and Man to Man Defense.

He plays something that is related to motion in that it's based on movement screening and cutting but it's not motion as in Steve runs through 92 screens for 40 minutes.

He is the 2nd rank player in his class

Doesn't mean he's a "program-changer." LSU had the # 1 player in the country and didn't even make The Dance.

Maybe you don't mean one season.

If you mean, "If he comes to IU, that will push other top kids, especially from the state, to come here too like Zeller did", you might have a point.

Reactions: PTPer
Oh come on. He's a great player but not that good. Would be a fantastic pic up but not a program changer.

Well, I think there's something you don't understand....In over 40 years of looking at the best this state's ever had, I've never seen a better ball player than Romeo Langford. Never.

(OK, maybe he's not better than the Big O, but he's better than Bailey, Alford, Chitwood...but I never saw the Big O in person so I stand by my comment.)

He plays something that is related to motion in that it's based on movement screening and cutting but it's not motion as in Steve runs through 92 screens for 40 minutes.

At least there ARE screens and there IS constant movement!

I'm so tired of halfcourt sets consisting of

a) dribble, dribble, dribble
b) handoff
c) dribble, dribble, dribble
d) handoff
e) dribble, dribble, dribble
then
f)chuck up a contested shot or
g)throw it away

If we didn't score by pushing it, the hope for an intelligent play emerging under Crean's philosophies was slim to none.

For the record, the "Wizard of Westwood" himself, was just an Indiana kid who played 4 years at Purdue, was mentored by some of the earliest great minds of basketball, went into coaching and had limited but not unnoticed success until later in his coaching career at UCLA. Wooden had a good 2 year record at Indiana State after coaching high school for 11 years. He was 39 when he got the UCLA job in 1948 and didn't get to a final four until 1962, his 14th year at UCLA.

Wonder if UCLA thought when they hired John Wooden that he'd bring them numerous national championships and the acclaim of the entirety of basketballdom. No and he'd never coached within 1500 miles of UCLA.

So, nobody hires themselves a national championship. They hire good people with skill and aggression and allow them the support and freedom to take the program where they can. Like the "Wizard".

Only Sam Gilbert isn't around and the NCAA is.

Wondered if you were going to mention Sam... While JW may well be the salt of the earth, ol' Sam was more than helping him "take the competitive edge".

Oh and Downing didn't foul Walton, he got a ref job on that one. They weren't gonna let us upset UCLA no matter what though...

Grrrrr....! Still ticks me off! Imagine how Downing feels.

hes a one and done player
Do we really care if we dont* land 1 & dones tho?
Duke had 3 of the #1 class freshmans this year,...& didnt even make the sweet 16.
Im not saying its great if we don't land him. But I just think we should look at the overall strengths of setting ourselves up for solid* accomplishments.
Whatever that may mean behind the scenes.and with players,chemistry,style.of play etc

Well, I think there's something you don't understand....In over 40 years of looking at the best this state's ever had, I've never seen a better ball player than Romeo Langford. Never.

(OK, maybe he's not better than the Big O, but he's better than Bailey, Alford, Chitwood...but I never saw the Big O in person so I stand by my comment.)
did you ever see george mcginnis steve downing shawn kemp or greg oden?

no he isn't, but IIRC his parents want him to play closer to home than Duke (his favorite) so things could heat up

same with Keion Brooks and MSU (although it sounds like he didn't have a great Finals game)
Brooks looked awful in the finals. A couple of other kids on North completely out-played him, Butz for one.

Do we really care if we dont* land 1 & dones tho?
Duke had 3 of the #1 class freshmans this year,...& didnt even make the sweet 16.
Im not saying its great if we don't land him. But I just think we should look at the overall strengths of setting ourselves up for solid* accomplishments.
Whatever that may mean behind the scenes.and with players,chemistry,style.of play etc
thats what I am saying I dont want to turn into Kentucky landing one and done players all the time. That just shows Calapari is a good recruiter and not a good coach

For the record, the "Wizard of Westwood" himself, was just an Indiana kid who played 4 years at Purdue, was mentored by some of the earliest great minds of basketball, went into coaching and had limited but not unnoticed success until later in his coaching career at UCLA. Wooden had a good 2 year record at Indiana State after coaching high school for 11 years. He was 39 when he got the UCLA job in 1948 and didn't get to a final four until 1962, his 14th year at UCLA.

Wonder if UCLA thought when they hired John Wooden that he'd bring them numerous national championships and the acclaim of the entirety of basketballdom. No and he'd never coached within 1500 miles of UCLA.

So, nobody hires themselves a national championship. They hire good people with skill and aggression and allow them the support and freedom to take the program where they can. Like the "Wizard".

Only Sam Gilbert isn't around and the NCAA is.
Plus, Wooden benefitted from: (1) minimal recruiting restrictions, (2) many, many, many of UCLA's NCAA Tournament games played on UCLA's home court (Pauley), (3) a much smaller NCAA tournament field, and (4) a basketball world where little schools other than Notre Dame (like Duke and Gonzaga and Butler) were not really a roadblock to winning a national championship.

He was a really good coach, but I have no reason to think he would have had blockbuster success in today's world. Given the differences, it's impossible to tell and he won what he won.

Well, jeez, where did McGinnis and Downing rate on your expert scale?

And, did you really see Chitwood?

Romeo can come to IU and be a legend and have a chance at a National Championship. If he went to Duke he would be just another player. At IU he would be a state-wide hero. Duke is made for Prep School players and recruit nationally with very little North Carolina footprint or influence. IU is a huge part of Indiana Basketball. IU has complete state wide passion and support. Playing at IU Romeo will be recognized as a hero anywhere he goes in the state, for the rest of his life. Archie is one of the brightest young basketball coaches in the country with an unlimited amount of energy and passion for the sport. Coach K is almost done at Duke, he is in the twilight of his career who has given up coaching USA Basketball at this late stage of his career. Archie is a part of USA Basketball going forward and is a coach on the USA Junior National Team. There really is no comparison. Indiana Basketball is king in our state. There is no place like it in the country. In 49 states it's just Basketball. But this is Indiana.
All that's good but, Romeo is from just a beer-whiz away from the Ohio River. I wonder whether his Indiana attitude is the same as the Indiana legends from, say, New Castle, Anderson, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne or (gulp) Merillville Andrian?

Romeo will fit perfectly into Archie Miller's style of play!

Last edited:

Alford was pretty darn good.

You have to be old like me to know this, but George McGinnis in HS was more dominant even than Lebron James ever was. Best HS player from Indiana that I ever saw.

He was a very good pro (all star even and co-MVP once) but didn't have a long career maybe because he didn't take care of his body. Junk food, smoking... the Baby Bull eventually lost his amazing physical attributes.

You have to be old like me to know this, but George McGinnis in HS was more dominant even than Lebron James ever was. Best HS player from Indiana that I ever saw.

He was a very good pro (all star even and co-MVP once) but didn't have a long career maybe because he didn't take care of his body. Junk food, smoking... the Baby Bull eventually lost his amazing physical attributes.
Coach Miller was on 1070 this morning and they asked him about one and done players. He said he is not against them if they come in and do the right thing by going to class and being part of the team. He said Indiana will not be built on one and done players and want kids who want to be part of the college experience.

A top player many times draws other top players to join him. It's a Big Time talent ripple effect.

Plus, Wooden benefitted from: (1) minimal recruiting restrictions, (2) many, many, many of UCLA's NCAA Tournament games played on UCLA's home court (Pauley), (3) a much smaller NCAA tournament field, and (4) a basketball world where little schools other than Notre Dame (like Duke and Gonzaga and Butler) were not really a roadblock to winning a national championship.

He was a really good coach, but I have no reason to think he would have had blockbuster success in today's world. Given the differences, it's impossible to tell and he won what he won.
UCLA at the time was as crooked as a dog leg. Walton even admitted he was paid

Reactions: 76-1

Oscar was the best player,ever, that has come out of Indiana, including Larry Bird. If there had been an ESPN, everyone would have been able to realize it.

Oscar was the best player,ever, that has come out of Indiana, including Larry Bird. If there had been an ESPN, everyone would have been able to realize it.
oscar was slightly before my time. but i have no doubt he was great. big george was by far the best i 've ever seen. bird was a very good high school player, but didn't become great until college

1st ballot hall of fame coach. average. smh

So what? The basketball Hall is a joke. Baseball makes news when 3 people get in one year. Football limits it to 5 per year. Basketball had 11 this year. If you can fog a mirror, you're basically in if you had even a little success.

Almost as bad as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame where one hit gets you in.

So what? The basketball Hall is a joke. Baseball makes news when 3 people get in one year. Football limits it to 5 per year. Basketball had 11 this year. If you can fog a mirror, you're basically in if you had even a little success.

Almost as bad as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame where one hit gets you in.
Not true but ok. Pitino wasn't first ballot HOF. He's decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT