ADVERTISEMENT

Can we get some discussion going in here?

kraft cheese+macaroni

Hall of Famer
Jul 21, 2010
I mean no disrespect to anyone here, I don't.....but my visits to this forum are often left me wanting more and finding that this forum has become mainly a link farm with no actual discussion of anything going on. Some are being helpful by providing information....that's good/cool, others are using this space to promote their own blogs....I guess that's cool in its own way.....but the main thing lacking here is any discussion.

I'm hopeful this will change now that games are being played. And I hope no one takes offense to my post.

Go Hoosiers

I mean no disrespect to anyone here, I don't.....but my visits to this forum are often left me wanting more and finding that this forum has become mainly a link farm with no actual discussion of anything going on. Some are being helpful by providing information....that's good/cool, others are using this space to promote their own blogs....I guess that's cool in its own way.....but the main thing lacking here is any discussion.

I'm hopeful this will change now that games are being played. And I hope no one takes offense to my post.

Go Hoosiers

Probably because it’s only the first weekend. Everyone wants to know why we struck out so much, and what’s the status with Gorski. I’d be more willing to discuss the lineup, as I felt the lineups this weekend made it really hard for IU to get something rolling, especially the top and middle of the lineup. Also, no one likes hitting against cunny-thumbing lefty’s so give Memphis some credit. Need to get better in certain counts with pitch recognition, but lots of teams need to this time of year.

But again, it’s the first week. I’m sure the new staff is feeling the team out against other teams and will make adjustments along the way.

Reactions: ptrich and snowling
Probably because it’s only the first weekend. Everyone wants to know why we struck out so much, and what’s the status with Gorski. I’d be more willing to discuss the lineup, as I felt the lineups this weekend made it really hard for IU to get something rolling, especially the top and middle of the lineup. Also, no one likes hitting against cunny-thumbing lefty’s so give Memphis some credit. Need to get better in certain counts with pitch recognition, but lots of teams need to this time of year.

But again, it’s the first week. I’m sure the new staff is feeling the team out against other teams and will make adjustments along the way.

I admit to being surprised seeing Gorski in the leadoff spot. Philosophy of getting your best play the most ABs?

Also have seen a lot of discussion about the Ks.....and yet I feel like the philosophy of this staff is more about pputting the ball in play and situational hitting than the previous staff, so that was a little surprisinig as well. Especially since, at least in comments, the players seem to have embraced this staff and their approach.

But it''s only been three games and in less than ideal conditions.

BigLew, have you had the same sort of access with this group as was afforded to you by Lemo thus far? I always appreciate your perspective.

Reactions: ptrich and snowling
No doubt, you want to get your best player the most AB’s and Gorski can really handle the 1-3 spots in the order. But you also have to see what’s around him. I think Gorski (and his teammates) gets more lineup protection if he’s in the 2/3 spots, and he certainly has the power to even play the 3/4. Teams are going to key on Matt, so after he’s done with his AB there is no incentive to give anyone good pitches after him, which can lead to chasing pitches and higher strikeout totals. I think if this team had another power bat you could leave him in the 1, but they just don’t have one like a Sowers or Miller on this team, I like Gorski at the 2/3/4 spots.

Every D1 program values the inside game. You really have to pick your spots to manufacture runs. Of course a wise coach once told me, if you have to play small and manufacture runs all the time then your team is no good. You don’t ignore it, it’s just a part of the game. Picking spots to do so especially in certain inning and score situations. At this level, especially if you can recruit well, you have guys who can handle the bat 1-9.

I still know some people around the program, and I still get some good info. But my “access” to the daily stuff went to Mississippi State. BTW that stadium upgrade of 68mill down there, wow !

No doubt, you want to get your best player the most AB’s and Gorski can really handle the 1-3 spots in the order. But you also have to see what’s around him. I think Gorski (and his teammates) gets more lineup protection if he’s in the 2/3 spots, and he certainly has the power to even play the 3/4. Teams are going to key on Matt, so after he’s done with his AB there is no incentive to give anyone good pitches after him, which can lead to chasing pitches and higher strikeout totals. I think if this team had another power bat you could leave him in the 1, but they just don’t have one like a Sowers or Miller on this team, I like Gorski at the 2/3/4 spots.

Every D1 program values the inside game. You really have to pick your spots to manufacture runs. Of course a wise coach once told me, if you have to play small and manufacture runs all the time then your team is no good. You don’t ignore it, it’s just a part of the game. Picking spots to do so especially in certain inning and score situations. At this level, especially if you can recruit well, you have guys who can handle the bat 1-9.

I still know some people around the program, and I still get some good info. But my “access” to the daily stuff went to Mississippi State. BTW that stadium upgrade of 68mill down there, wow !

Bucket list for me is a road trip where I get to go to The Box and The Dude in the same trip during SEC season. Or maybe fall ball, where I go to an SEC night game at Death Valley and hit a fall ball game at The Box in the same weekend.

But again, it’s the first week. I’m sure the new staff is feeling the team out against other teams and will make adjustments along the way.[/QUOTE

You could pretty much call baseball the third major sport when it comes to the SEC programs. They get huge support at those programs.

Reactions: Obadiah Plainman

But again, it’s the first week. I’m sure the new staff is feeling the team out against other teams and will make adjustments along the way.[/QUOTE

You could pretty much call baseball the third major sport when it comes to the SEC programs. They get huge support at those programs.
True, but at Mississippi State baseball is the king right next to football. Their AD is the former baseball coach. Each SEC schools sports hierarchy is a little different, but football, basketball, and baseball are for sure a “big 3”.

Just went to view Miss State stadium online. Unreal. I can see why Coach headed south. Different world. The Bart is still nice but they spent 3 times what we spent 6 years ago. Arms race. Wow!
Well, Lem would probably still be here had he not had a close friend who turned down that job and told MSU to go get him.

Well, Lem would probably still be here had he not had a close friend who turned down that job and told MSU to go get him.
Can’t look back now. Good luck to Lem and let’s go Hoosiers! Wish we could start s series. Think their is a chance?
Doubtful, SEC teams don’t need to schedule RPI weekend series. Maybe a mid week, but even then the logistics of that are slim to none. So, in short, no.

I admit to being surprised seeing Gorski in the leadoff spot. Philosophy of getting your best play the most ABs?

I'm not really surprised Gorski was batting leadoff. Mercer hinted at that beforehand, and if you look at the base running stats from last year, Gorski was way ahead of everyone in the stolen base category. 24 of 27, compared to Kaletha's 14 of 24. I think that is a big reason. He also mentioned possibly putting Houston there, and he was 12/14 last season. Has to get his bat going better than last year, which he did in game 3 in the series. We might see that in the future, if Mercer agrees with BigLew that Gorski would be better for the lineup at 2/3/4.

I'm not really surprised Gorski was batting leadoff. Mercer hinted at that beforehand, and if you look at the base running stats from last year, Gorski was way ahead of everyone in the stolen base category. 24 of 27, compared to Kaletha's 14 of 24. I think that is a big reason. He also mentioned possibly putting Houston there, and he was 12/14 last season. Has to get his bat going better than last year, which he did in game 3 in the series. We might see that in the future, if Mercer agrees with BigLew that Gorski would be better for the lineup at 2/3/4.
I’m not surprised either, I think Gorski can handle the lead off role just fine. But his potential to drive in runs is very important for this team. One of the big things is if guys like Kaletha,Houston, Lloyd hit in front of Gorski they are going to see better pitches. Teams won’t want to put guys on in front of Gorski, so they are going to have to pitch in the zone to get outs. I’d expect you’ll see Mercer experiment with his lineup, as most coaches do this time of year.

Go Hoosiers
I'm with you. I'm hoping that as the season moves along more interest builds leading to some meaningful discussion. I read as much about the team online as I can for an out of stater, but insight from people who have the ability to watch the games and follow the team closely would be much appreciated. Same for game threads, frankly. Scoring updates and opinions on what they're seeing at a more frequent pace would be awesome. I think it will pick up.

In regards to the strikeouts this weekend, I think it really was a perfect storm. As Lew mentioned earlier no one wants to face junk ball lefties, especially coming out the gate.
After the first two strikeouts to start game one, both guys came back towards the dugout and said it was slower than it looked.
I'm guessing they had seen a lot of 90+ from pitching machines, and we really don't have the lefties on our staff that could duplicate the stuff those guys had.
They pitched us backwards the entire series and they were seeing a ton of changeups/curves in fastball counts. I'm sure the gameplan was to not let us beat them off the fastball.

This weekend should show us a little more as the Tenn starters seem to be hard throwing guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT