ADVERTISEMENT

Can Priller contribute next year?

Considered hopeless as a freshman =/= considered hopeless as a senior
Kaminsky improved every year. Priller has not
Kaminsky only played seven min a game his freshman yr. How can he be considered hopeless? I don't remember who was ahead of him back then but they probably played a factor in why he didn't play as much. You can't really compare him and Priller.

Kaminsky only played seven min a game his freshman yr. How can he be considered hopeless? I don't remember who was ahead of him back then but they probably played a factor in why he didn't play as much. You can't really compare him and Priller.
I sure didn't think of him as a future consensus National Player of the Year, did you? I wasn't trying to compare them as players, but comparing effort and let's face it coaching. Kaminsky exploded as a junior. He had improved. There was no way he came in like that. Priller seems to have accepted his role as Shaggy/human victory cigar and seems to play it up.

And far be it for me to suggest Bo Ryan would offer someone like Priller. Crean was an Impulse shopper who sometimes seemed to almost immediately suffer buyers remorse. Most of these players moved on, but where does Priller have to move on to?

Can't see him playing more than a very few minutes when we are in trouble or in a mop up role. I do think however coach Miller will have him under Control and playing his roll.

CAM needs to teach Priller how to blockout and rebound, and be a stretch 4 and make perimeter shots, and set solid screens for cutters. Play when foul trouble to Bigs dictates the need for his 6'9" size to rebound and play the back line on D.

Last edited:
Reactions: travlinhoosier
CAM needs to teach Priller how to blockout and rebound, and be a stretch 4 and make perimeter shots, and set solid screens for cutters. Play when foul trouble to Bigs dictates the need for his 6'9" size to rebound and play the back line on D.
If he can play a few minutes of defense and set some screens and grab a rebound once in a while he can be of some help.

People are so messed up by the interchangeable parts/ play 5 wings philosophy that the concept of a role player seems alien.

Priller CAN be a limited minutes role player (5-10 min/g) for a coach who knows how to define and use players in such roles. Have him set screens, box out, move his feet, on D stay vertical & don't reach.

It dates me to bring him up, but as a freshman Uwe Blab looked way worse than Priller. Granted he was 7'2" but he was awful...couldn't run as well as Priller, had no shot at all, couldn't even catch the ball. Of course by the time he was a senior he was all-Big 10 and stayed on NBA rosters for 5 years. He had a role, worked his butt off, didn't try to do what he couldn't, and became an asset. It took three years though.

Priller will just have one year of being coached, but I bet we can get something out of it.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Frank wasn't a nobody, he was considered a solid three star prospect.

Bo liked him so much as a freshman that he decided not to redshirt him.

Frank was recruited to be the next big, goofy white main Wisconsin post player...like Wilkinson, Butch, Stiemsma, Nankivil, Leuer, Berggren, (Kaminsky) and then Happ after.

Most of those guys redshirted and the dudes before we're playing as upper classman. Frank didn't which was rare, but Bo thought he could use him as a freshman.

It's why I always laughed at dudes that would post how Wisconsin was going to fall next year when so and so left...only to be replaced by a player like him that hardly played the year prior. Kaminsky was the guy taking over for Berggren...who took over for Leuer, etc.

Again, are we really surprised that Ethan Happ is having success?

Reactions: T.M.P.
Frank wasn't a nobody, he was considered a solid three star prospect.

Bo liked him so much as a freshman that he decided not to redshirt him.

Frank was recruited to be the next big, goofy white main Wisconsin post player...like Wilkinson, Butch, Stiemsma, Nankivil, Leuer, Berggren, (Kaminsky) and then Happ after.

Most of those guys redshirted and the dudes before we're playing as upper classman. Frank didn't which was rare, but Bo thought he could use him as a freshman.

It's why I always laughed at dudes that would post how Wisconsin was going to fall next year when so and so left...only to be replaced by a player like him that hardly played the year prior. Kaminsky was the guy taking over for Berggren...who took over for Leuer, etc.

Again, are we really surprised that Ethan Happ is having success?
And everyone that knew basketball knew he was something special in his soph year.

As a sophomore at Assembly Hall he came in and quickly nailed two three pointers. I remember thinking, there he is, next year's surprise Wisconsin center (it was either going to be Frank or Evan Anderson, but it was obvious that Bo really liked Frank).

Anyway, two quick threes and then Sheehey ripped his eyeball from it's socket on a rebound. That's when Frank sported the glasses.

But yeah, it was obvious his sophomore year he was going to be a key player for them as an upperclassmen.

Wisconsin always seemed to have the right cylons that just kept resurrecting.

The big, goofy center.
The tallish power forward that could hit threes while gooning it up.
The Uber athletic jumping jack
A smart lead guard that didn't turn the ball over.
A good shooter

Not a bad recipe.

Reactions: T.M.P.
With Thomas leaving and Davis being the only person that you would consider a conventional Big Man, does anyone have any thoughts on what role, if any, Tim could play next year? Living in AZ now, I've hardly ever seen the dude play, except in his human victory cigar role. I mean, he is almost 7 feet, correct? He is a stringy fella, granted, but he appears to be able to run up and down the floor, set screens, grab an occasional board, and put his hands up in the air. I'm curious if he could be developed into a Jarrad Odle type of player. I remember watching Odle throughout my time at IU, and by his senior year, Jarrad was a guy who played steady, smart, and could clean things up at the basket. He actually had a couple of really nice games in the tourney during our '02 run. Was Odle that much faster, stronger, skilled? (honestly, I don't know, haven't seen enough of Tim.) Could Tim possibly fill that type of roll? 15-20 minutes a game, out there to facilitate others and be around the bucket for easy put backs and offensive boards? His legs should at least be fresh!!

People on this board bash him left and right.
He actually gives 100 when he plays, that can say more for him then other players on this team at times.

He needs to gain weight, obv lean mass but hell even growing a beer belly at this rate might benefit him more. If he took on any significant minutes he'd be a fish out of water

Reactions: Davehack and MrBing
Kaminsky was basketball smart. He saw the big picture in the game and new how to use his strengths and he knew what his teammate could do as well. He also understood that winning the war was more important than winning a battle (one big flashy dunk is great but two layups and a 3 pointer is an 8-2 run). Put it together and that goes a long way to becoming a good team.

People on this board bash him left and right.
He actually gives 100 when he plays, that can say more for him then other players on this team at times.

He needs to gain weight, obv lean mass but hell even growing a beer belly at this rate might benefit him more. If he took on any significant minutes he'd be a fish out of water

i don't see bashing as much as i see people not minding if he left...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT