ADVERTISEMENT

Can Priller contribute next year?

PhxFiveOh

Redshirt
Jan 2, 2013
With Thomas leaving and Davis being the only person that you would consider a conventional Big Man, does anyone have any thoughts on what role, if any, Tim could play next year? Living in AZ now, I've hardly ever seen the dude play, except in his human victory cigar role. I mean, he is almost 7 feet, correct? He is a stringy fella, granted, but he appears to be able to run up and down the floor, set screens, grab an occasional board, and put his hands up in the air. I'm curious if he could be developed into a Jarrad Odle type of player. I remember watching Odle throughout my time at IU, and by his senior year, Jarrad was a guy who played steady, smart, and could clean things up at the basket. He actually had a couple of really nice games in the tourney during our '02 run. Was Odle that much faster, stronger, skilled? (honestly, I don't know, haven't seen enough of Tim.) Could Tim possibly fill that type of roll? 15-20 minutes a game, out there to facilitate others and be around the bucket for easy put backs and offensive boards? His legs should at least be fresh!!

Reactions: franklin_iu
With Thomas leaving and Davis being the only person that you would consider a conventional Big Man, does anyone have any thoughts on what role, if any, Tim could play next year? Living in AZ now, I've hardly ever seen the dude play, except in his human victory cigar role. I mean, he is almost 7 feet, correct? He is a stringy fella, granted, but he appears to be able to run up and down the floor, set screens, grab an occasional board, and put his hands up in the air. I'm curious if he could be developed into a Jarrad Odle type of player. I remember watching Odle throughout my time at IU, and by his senior year, Jarrad was a guy who played steady, smart, and could clean things up at the basket. He actually had a couple of really nice games in the tourney during our '02 run. Was Odle that much faster, stronger, skilled? (honestly, I don't know, haven't seen enough of Tim.) Could Tim possibly fill that type of roll? 15-20 minutes a game, out there to facilitate others and be around the bucket for easy put backs and offensive boards? His legs should at least be fresh!!
When he came in during the PU game and the other big men in foul trouble he contributed but I don't think he will have much of a role on this team.

Miller is a really good coach but not a miracle worker. He might be good for a few fouls but past that not much

One thing is for certain; both Odle and Priller are white. So, you just might be onto something here.

Jared Odle was a much better player than Priller. More athletic, better rebounder, better passer, stronger, better shooter, more skilled. Odle was one of the leading scorers in the state of Indiana in HS. Priller is behind walk-ons on the depth chart. I don't see increased playing time for him this coming season if he stays. If Tim wanted to play meaningful minutes his Senior year he could transfer.

Reactions: Kentucky31
Jared Odle was a much better player than Priller. More athletic, better rebounder, better passer, stronger, better shooter, more skilled. Odle was one of the leading scorers in the state of Indiana in HS. Priller is behind walk-ons on the depth chart. I don't see increased playing time for him this coming season if he stays. If Tim wanted to play meaningful minutes his Senior year he could transfer.
I sure am glad we had Odle instead of Luke Harangody.

Yes... he can do this ..

giphy.gif

Reactions: IU/NDFAN and IU40IU
Actually the guy I think that will be able to contribute in this new offense is McRoberts.
I see him in the same mold as CH and Max B from 2015. He seems to have good BB IQ and willing to do the little things that make a difference.

You're not giving Odle enough credit. He was light years better than Priller. A better goal for Priller would be Kyle Taber. And not Kyle Taber playing a lot on a 6 win team.

Miller is a really good coach but not a miracle worker. He might be good for a few fouls but past that not much
Mark Titus, when asked about CAM, said that even though he was a walkon, Miller totally pushed him to the max, which is something he wasn't used to. Later, Titus asked CAM why he rode him, a mere walkon, so hard, and Archie said that he takes responsibility for the development of the entire team.
So I would expect Priller is going to work a lot harder this year.

No way he's as good as Odle (based on what I've seen). Odle was a reasonably good ballhandler and strong as an ox. Odle was a key player on that team.

Priller is good at setting screens, so were you thinking of Brian Sloan? I'm not sure Priller is as good as Sloan either.

Reactions: medred
I agree with all this about Odle. Given our shortage of height next year (see what I did there) I think we might find a use for Priller, though, so I don't think he will transfer. I predict he could get 4-5 minutes a game at most, all at random moments well before the end of the game.

Yes... he can do this ..

giphy.gif

He's by far my least favorite player on the team and it's not because he's a DIII talent. Look at those arms. Has this guy seen the inside of the weight room since he's been here? I highly doubt it. He's been here to party and not play basketball from day 1.

Reactions: 82hoosier
He's by far my least favorite player on the team and it's not because he's a DIII talent. Look at those arms. Has this guy seen the inside of the weight room since he's been here? I highly doubt it. He's been here to party and not play basketball from day 1.
Good point. His arms are meh. Considering the changes other players have undergone, it is striking.

He could occupy a seat, refill the Gatorade cooler, and set a record for the number of fouls picked up in the shortest amount of time.

So, no.

Jarrad Odle was coordinated: I'll cut the comparison right there.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
Mark Titus, when asked about CAM, said that even though he was a walkon, Miller totally pushed him to the max, which is something he wasn't used to. Later, Titus asked CAM why he rode him, a mere walkon, so hard, and Archie said that he takes responsibility for the development of the entire team.
So I would expect Priller is going to work a lot harder this year.
Coach might push him harder than Crean did, but that doesn't change the fact that he's simply not very good and has basically squandered 3 years of the chance to get better.

Reactions: hgdownunder
The comparison is better to Mike Roberts or Tom Geyer. Both about a similar size and body type. Kyle Taber was pretty solid his senior year- I'd call that a pretty lofty goal for Priller. Priller definitely improved this past season though. He showed more assertiveness and provided some constructive play- contributions on the floor and stat sheet. If he could move his feet better he'd certainly play, but slow foot speed is a real weakness with him. His experience could pay off as a senior to a small degree if Miller doesn't play favorites like Crean did. I could see him getting a few minutes occasionally if he works hard. But I'd be shocked if he played 10 minutes a game. That is a stretch.

No way he's as good as Odle (based on what I've seen). Odle was a reasonably good ballhandler and strong as an ox. Odle was a key player on that team.

Priller is good at setting screens, so were you thinking of Brian Sloan? I'm not sure Priller is as good as Sloan either.

Sloan was a role player for the Hoosiers, but was Illinois Mr. Basketball and led his team to a state title. His dad Jerry was the fifth coach in NBA history to record 1,000 wins and also has his player jersey retired for the Bulls.

Priller is a final, horrible, gift from Crean; eating up a scholarship, and committing fouls at an alarming rate because of his lack of speed and quickness.

Reactions: 82hoosier
How exactly is he getting out of lifting with the rest of his teammates?

These are the types of posts that make this board crap.

Also, isn't that GIF from like two years ago?

Reactions: raw21960
You would hope after 3 years a player would find some way to contribute. Priller didn't do anything bad while he was in the game, so maybe CAM finds some minutes for him. He could be useful if he could come in to protect someone from picking up another foul before half and not cause any harm. We have McRoberts for that role. I'm not expecting any contribution from Tim..

lol. some dudes just can't add muscle. probably similar to most of the keyboard jockeys around here.

i bet Prill has been lifting.

He looked good on his two free throws last year and had a nice looking put back.

He also fouled about once every thirty seconds.

He's not in the same universe as Odle, who started on a national title team but get your comparison as Odle never played until he was asked to.

he can pick up the slack we're going to really feel in clapping this year. not sure the boys will know what to do without it.

no!!!

How exactly is he getting out of lifting with the rest of his teammates?

These are the types of posts that make this board crap.

Also, isn't that GIF from like two years ago?

I think the comment was driven by the fact that he is the exact same weight as he was when recruited and he looks like he has never been in the weight room.

Hopefully CAM and hs staff will recruit more Indiana HS players.

Last edited:
Priller needs to find a way to be effective in CAM's system or be a walk on to complete his Senior season. McRoberts is far more valuable

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT