ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark Snubbed

She already is.

If she wants to sustain it, she'll have to start winning though.
that's why you strike when the iron is hot. sell those clark usa jerseys. get kids wearing them. in four years who knows where that league will be, or her. what it's only in a dozen cities now? averaging 6k fans. in 12 cities. come on.

Reactions: DANC
Agree. If the Fever start winning and she’s the main reason for that, people will continue to watch.
This is how pitiful the WNBA is. In 2019 the Liberty sold for between 10 and 14 mil. Reportedly the Vegas team 2 mil just a few years ago. Today the storm is the most valuable team in the league at 150 mil. Mls started the same time as the WNBA. Mls has three teams valued at over a billion dollars. They pump the F out of the big names. Hype nonstop. Mls salaries blow away the WNBA as well. People simply do not care about the WNBA. This was a perfectly timed rare opportunity to continue to hype a recognized name that was missed. Mark my words with each passing year her fame will dwindle

or maybe to turn it into the original politics theme they care too much about this bullshit below. A straight white chick will reach another demographic. Being the league of progressives and social Justice turns off a ton of potential fans.

The Commissioner’s Cup Presented by Coinbase also aims to spotlight the league’s social justice efforts. Bethany Donaphin, head of WNBA league operations, says the League is rooted in bold advocacy, so it was a no-brainer to include it in the platform we built for the Commissioner’s Cup.

“The WNBA has long been recognized as the most progressive league in professional sports, and it’s one that continually shows up as a leader in the social justice space,” Donaphin said. “So, really, why wouldn’t we use one of our marquee league events to address important social issues?”

Last edited:
This is how pitiful the WNBA is. In 2019 the Liberty sold for between 10 and 14 mil. Reportedly the Vegas team 2 mil just a few years ago. Today the storm is the most valuable team in the league at 150 mil. Mls started the same time as the WNBA. Mls has three teams valued at over a billion dollars. They pump the F out of the big names. Hype nonstop. People simply do not care about the WNBA. This was a perfectly timed rare opportunity to continue to hype a recognized name that was missed. Mark my words with each passing year her fame will dwindle

or maybe to turn it into the original politics theme they care too much about this bullshit below. A straight white chick will reach another demographic

The Commissioner’s Cup Presented by Coinbase also aims to spotlight the league’s social justice efforts. Bethany Donaphin, head of WNBA league operations, says the League is rooted in bold advocacy, so it was a no-brainer to include it in the platform we built for the Commissioner’s Cup.

“The WNBA has long been recognized as the most progressive league in professional sports, and it’s one that continually shows up as a leader in the social justice space,” Donaphin said. “So, really, why wouldn’t we use one of our marquee league events to address important social issues?”
So we're comparing the global game with worldwide superstars to a women's league in the USA? I mean, I would hope the MLS would have higher value. That's an odd comparison.

But to your social justice crying, seems to me the league is properly aligned with its fan base. Minorities and LGBTQ have made up the majority of their audience and will continue to do so in the near term, most likely. And frankly, there haven't been many professional leagues that haven't adopted those core tenets over the past 5 years or so. What's so odd about that?

So we're comparing the global game with worldwide superstars to a women's league in the USA? I mean, I would hope the MLS would have higher value. That's an odd comparison.

But to your social justice crying, seems to me the league is properly aligned with its fan base. Minorities and LGBTQ have made up the majority of their audience and will continue to do so in the near term, most likely. And frankly, there haven't been many professional leagues that haven't adopted those core tenets over the past 5 years or so. What's so odd about that?
The global game is of little moment to the USA as evidenced by the countless leagues who have failed in the US. As I said the wnba and mls started at the same time. Mls on the heels of an untenable usisl.

You think the league is properly aligned with its fan base? It’s been around for almost 30 years and averages 6k fans with a pitiful 12 teams and requires the nba subsidies. Irish lion is worth more than some of these teams

I’d say the league desperately needs to expand its fan base.

that's why you strike when the iron is hot. sell those clark usa jerseys. get kids wearing them. in four years who knows where that league will be, or her. what it's only in a dozen cities now? averaging 6k fans. in 12 cities. come on.
Sigh

Didn't know the Red Pill guys were into tokenism and participation trophies.

Leave the basketball to the basketball people. The basketball will be fine. Clark will be fine. She will have her time, and by then the game will have grown. They've already announced expansion plans.

Reactions: DrHoops
Of course she wanted to play. A 22 yr old with a chance to play in the Olympics? Please. She reportedly told her coach “hey coach they woke a monster.” And anyone that good inside doesn’t think she’d be a token player as evidenced by her quote.

This thread sullied the issue with politics. Growing a league and a sport few give a shit about is the topic. No different than how mls brings in washed up players who are household names vs younger guys in their prime that no one has heard of but would cost the same and be an upgrade in quality

Name recognition brings viewers
How did this “monster” do the first game after her statement??

The global game is of little moment to the USA as evidenced by the countless leagues who have failed in the US. As I said the wnba and mls started at the same time. Mls on the heels of an untenable usisl.

You think the league is properly aligned with its fan base? It’s been around for almost 30 years and averages 6k fans with a pitiful 12 teams and requires the nba subsidies. Irish lion is worth more than some of these teams

I’d say the league desperately needs to expand its fan base.
It has expanded its fan base, even before this year. 2023 saw the highest WNBA ratings in 15 years. They're adding two expansion franchises. But to think a women's league is ever going to compare to a men's league is just odd.

It has expanded its fan base, even before this year. 2023 saw the highest WNBA ratings in 15 years. They're adding two expansion franchises. But to think a women's league is ever going to compare to a men's league is just odd.
The point was in marketing and branding. So far the only clip I’ve seen of Clark was getting a cheap shot.

The point was in marketing and branding. So far the only clip I’ve seen of Clark was getting a cheap shot.
She hasn't exactly done a lot on the court to market so far. I will die on the hill that the huge differentiator for her is her Steph Curry-esque logo 3s. If she were just pulling up from 21' or whatever the 3pt line is and hitting those, she's not a phenomenon. And frankly, at the WNBA level so far, she's not exactly filling it up on logo 3s or any other 3s...definitely not the way that she did to become so popular in college. She's had one really good shooting game and it was like 4 days ago against a winless team.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Indianapolis is building 2. Hogsett is an idiot, in addition to being a drunk.
they are building without having secured a franchise? Yikes that's risky. san diego is the 30th mls team. their fee was 500 mil

they are building without having secured a franchise? Yikes that's risky. san diego is the 30th mls team. their fee was 500 mil
Well, as I understand it, they are building one for the Indy 11 and, after they broke ground, Hogsett announced plans for another stadium for an MLS franchise.

I don't live there, so I don't follow it that closely, but I think they are planning on getting the MSL franchise.

Well, as I understand it, they are building one for the Indy 11 and, after they broke ground, Hogsett announced plans for another stadium for an MLS franchise.

I don't live there, so I don't follow it that closely, but I think they are planning on getting the MSL franchise.
lots of mls teams already in that proximity. i guess it depends on how many teams the league goes to. vegas and other cities want a team as well. personally i hope they stick at 30 teams. more than that it gets watered down. unless they say F it and just let these owners spend. many of the teams have heavy backers now. enterprise money is behind our team

lots of mls teams already in that proximity. i guess it depends on how many teams the league goes to. vegas and other cities want a team as well. personally i hope they stick at 30 teams. more than that it gets watered down. unless they say F it and just let these owners spend. many of the teams have heavy backers now. enterprise money is behind our team
I went to a Charlotte FC match a few weeks ago - free tickets from my wife's friends.

Let's just say it's nothing like the Bundesliga...... B-O-R-I-N-G. Although I think Charlotte has some nice players. I think they were playing Portland(?) and they were bad.

I also saw the US team play a friendly with Milan about 5 years ago. That was a much better match - had a good time at that one. I think a lot of it is the MLS players are just not household names in the US, outside of soccer junkies. I find it hard to get into it when I don't know the players. I can watch more objectively, but what fun is that? lol

I went to a Charlotte FC match a few weeks ago - free tickets from my wife's friends.

Let's just say it's nothing like the Bundesliga...... B-O-R-I-N-G. Although I think Charlotte has some nice players. I think they were playing Portland(?) and they were bad.

I also saw the US team play a friendly with Milan about 5 years ago. That was a much better match - had a good time at that one. I think a lot of it is the MLS players are just not household names in the US, outside of soccer junkies. I find it hard to get into it when I don't know the players. I can watch more objectively, but what fun is that? lol
it's definitely interesting. Stl City SC had 60,000 people sign up for 18,000 season tickets. now there's a long wait list. the team has the lowest payroll in the league and zero big name players. but the environment is really fun, the stadium is spectacular, and the concessions are amazing. every game is sold out. but it's an expensive night. beers are expensive. parking is expensive. and the product on the field is shit. will be interesting to see how things go in the years to come

• Wow
it's definitely interesting. Stl City SC had 60,000 people sign up for 18,000 season tickets. now there's a long wait list. the team has the lowest payroll in the league and zero big name players. but the environment is really fun, the stadium is spectacular, and the concessions are amazing. every game is sold out. but it's an expensive night. beers are expensive. parking is expensive. and the product on the field is shit. will be interesting to see how things go in the years to come
St. Louis is definitely the heart of soccer in the US. Like Indiana used to be in basketball.

I agree with you that the atmosphere makes the difference. Like the Cubs when they were horrible. Nothing better than going up to Chicago for a day game and sucking down the Old Styles. And I'm not a Cubs fan.

St. Louis is definitely the heart of soccer in the US. Like Indiana used to be in basketball.

I agree with you that the atmosphere makes the difference. Like the Cubs when they were horrible. Nothing better than going up to Chicago for a day game and sucking down the Old Styles. And I'm not a Cubs fan.
oh yeah wrigley was so fun. and that's how this is - just a great experience. but again expensive and i cannot stand how the team plays. and there's not one player worth watching

oh yeah wrigley was so fun. and that's how this is - just a great experience. but again expensive and i cannot stand how the team plays. and there's not one player worth watching
Sounds like IU football. I love the experience, but the team...... ugh.

• Haha
Reactions: IUINSB
Why are they so shitty this year vs last year?

The 11 will probably end up playing in the MLS stadium before their stadium opens, if it opens at all. They're building it on a graveyard and every time a body is uncovered, construction stops. Although, their owner is saying they can begin building in a month.

• Wow
Reactions: mcmurtry66 and DANC
Why are they so shitty this year vs last year?
the coach sucks with weird player combos as well as subs. some bad luck with injuries and the main forward not finishing. but i think mostly other teams made adjustments. there are a lot of really shitty backs in mls. so they came out attacking and playing like maniacs last year pressing the other teams backs hoping they'd cough it up and create opportunities. it worked but throughout the year other teams made adjustments and the fast start dwindled. they have 9 draws this year. they aren't terrible record-wise. probably middle of the road team. but they're awful to watch if you're a snob

in another post you mentioned markets with other shit to do. i lived in so fla for years. would you rather sit and watch a marlins' game or go on a boat etc. here there isn't much else to do so it's a bit of a captive audience

I don't know. I wanted to buy Austin FC season tix and didn't think it would be so hard. I snoozed when they initially went on sale and waited until they started first seaosn. Now I sit on a waiting list. IMO, the league can expand whether it needs to or not. That said I don't think leagues should grow past 32 so 30 seems about right. I heard on local sports radio in austin that Austin FC is now the 21st most valuable soccer franchise in the world. True or not, I don't know, but the league is getting more lax in bringing International players. If the money keeps getting bigger then maybe they do sya F it and spend.

Besides WNBA and MLS, IMO, I think all sports are growing. Pro Volleyball is about to really take off in US. I put a deposit on 2 tix for LOVB Austin team. Learned my lesson from austin FC. plus got Season Tix for UT volleyball at college level.

you are right about the game experience. Austin FC are crazy fun in person. If you are in the Supporter Section expect to get soaked.

I don't know. I wanted to buy Austin FC season tix and didn't think it would be so hard. I snoozed when they initially went on sale and waited until they started first seaosn. Now I sit on a waiting list. IMO, the league can expand whether it needs to or not. That said I don't think leagues should grow past 32 so 30 seems about right. I heard on local sports radio in austin that Austin FC is now the 21st most valuable soccer franchise in the world. True or not, I don't know, but the league is getting more lax in bringing International players. If the money keeps getting bigger then maybe they do sya F it and spend.

Besides WNBA and MLS, IMO, I think all sports are growing. Pro Volleyball is about to really take off in US. I put a deposit on 2 tix for LOVB Austin team. Learned my lesson from austin FC. plus got Season Tix for UT volleyball at college level.
it woudl be amazing if they let owners spend - then presumably you might get to the point where you could have relegation and a season that mirrors europe. now that would be fun. tv deals are everything. the league lived off selling franchises for quite some time and unless they go with relegation and get back into the mass franchise game tv will be dispositive as to the future

One thing about season tix for any sport is the resale business has really taken off with the number of resale sites such as stub hub and seat geek. If you get MLS season tickets for any team and Messi comes to town, you could probably sell them for the entire price of the season ticket. The same could be said for other sports too.

I guess that is the same for Clark right now but she is not really dominant or better yet over other WNBA players. I rarely watched but have tuned in to a couple Sparks games and Aces games but only watch for bit before moving on. I like Brink and Plum. The hype over her being targeted seems like Clark fans who maybe have not watched much pro basketball. Isn't CC just the WNBA version of a Patrick Beverly/Ron Artest type.

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
Have they even broken ground on the MLS stadium?
No. Last week they approved the adoption of the proposal to set a new tax area downtown for the MLS site. From what I read, some council members thought their MLS bid would die if they didn't approve it. Makes me think that the Indy 11 stadium isn't close to starting the actual construction.

Hogsett's administration concluded the proposed Eleven Park stadium was too financially risky for taxpayers and said it would not be sent to state for review. He also cited concerns about human remains found at the site and others believed to remain there in unmarked graves. Many are likely from from some of the city's first Black residents, who were left behind when other bodies were moved from the 1870 through 1920.
Edit to clean up my word salad.

Last edited:
They approved the adoption of the proposal last week to set a new tax area where the site will be downtown
yeah that's some fckd up mls shit. i'll bore you with stl. so when we made our initial bid mls required teh stadium to be downtown in the city. the "then" ownership group wanted it outside the city where people actually live but mls said no. so the ownership group sought 60 mil in public financing and it went to a vote. 30,000 city residents (or something like that. tiny) voted for a community of nearly 3 million. and it got rejected. so they came back a few years later with a proposal to privately fund the stadium and it got approved. but again mls required it to be in the city downtown. many people wanted it in a suburb

yeah that's some fckd up mls shit. i'll bore you with stl. so when we made our initial bid mls required teh stadium to be downtown in the city. the "then" ownership group wanted it outside the city where people actually live but mls said no. so the ownership group sought 60 mil in public financing and it went to a vote. 30,000 city residents (or something like that. tiny) voted for a community of nearly 3 million. and it got rejected. so they came back a few years later with a proposal to privately fund the stadium and it got approved. but again mls required it to be in the city downtown. many people wanted it in a suburb
Makes you wonder why MLS is so gung ho about having something downtown.

sort of a threadjack, but I passed through your fair city yesterday. We were in a bit of a hurry to get back home - we started in Columbia, MO yesterday morning and made it back home before dinner time, so there was no time to stop.

sort of a threadjack, but I passed through your fair city yesterday. We were in a bit of a hurry to get back home - we started in Columbia, MO yesterday morning and made it back home before dinner time, so there was no time to stop.
Did you get to wander around mizzou at all?

We had season tix to Atlanta United for 3 years. Atmosphere was consistently electric
Now imagine squeezing that into a brand new 22,500 seat stadium with super high tech everything. The lights at our stadium are like nothing I’ve ever seen before. It’s amazing

Did you get to wander around mizzou at all?
A VERY quick driveby.

My friend and I were headed out to the Colorado Trail relay race where we met two of our other friends who flew out.

One the way out, we stopped for a night in Indy where we went to Four Day Ray Brewery, went to Chicago for the Reds/Cubs game, stayed the night in Lincoln, NE, onto Denver for the Reds/Rockies game, onto our friend's house in Carbondale, CO then to the race in Snowmass on Friday/Saturday. Sunday we started driving back from our friend's house and made it to Columbia.

The Monday after the Cubs' game, we say three Big Ten campuses. We ran around Northwestern and along Lake Michigan that morning, ate lunch in Iowa City and then made it to Lincoln for dinner and where we stayed that night. We didn't see a ton of any of the campuses, but they all seemed decent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT