ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark Snubbed

A VERY quick driveby.

My friend and I were headed out to the Colorado Trail relay race where we met two of our other friends who flew out.

One the way out, we stopped for a night in Indy where we went to Four Day Ray Brewery, went to Chicago for the Reds/Cubs game, stayed the night in Lincoln, NE, onto Denver for the Reds/Rockies game, onto our friend's house in Carbondale, CO then to the race in Snowmass on Friday/Saturday. Sunday we started driving back from our friend's house and made it to Columbia.

The Monday after the Cubs' game, we say three Big Ten campuses. We ran around Northwestern and along Lake Michigan that morning, ate lunch in Iowa City and then made it to Lincoln for dinner and where we stayed that night. We didn't see a ton of any of the campuses, but they all seemed decent.
Damn what a super fun trip!!!

It was great. We ended up putting about 3,000 miles on my friend's car.

The Colorado Ragnar was no joke. The altitude took some getting used to and the elevation was no joke. We were one of 11 ultra teams and ended up placing 3rd in that group, I think. I was the slow one of the group, but also the oldest. We've done one each of the last three summers now (West Virginia, Michigan and now Colorado) and we're already talking about doing one again next summer. If that's happening, I have to do a lot more trail training runs. Having a least a few beers each night leading up to the night before the race probably didn't help matters...

It was great. We ended up putting about 3,000 miles on my friend's car.

The Colorado Ragnar was no joke. The altitude took some getting used to and the elevation was no joke. We were one of 11 ultra teams and ended up placing 3rd in that group, I think. I was the slow one of the group, but also the oldest. We've done one each of the last three summers now (West Virginia, Michigan and now Colorado) and we're already talking about doing one again next summer. If that's happening, I have to do a lot more trail training runs. Having a least a few beers each night leading up to the night before the race probably didn't help matters...
a close buddy moved out to boulder so last summer for a guys' trip we drove out there. hung out in boulder. saw a concert at red rocks etc. anyway group of 6 fifty year olds. we decided to try and hike one day. made it up the equivalent of a hill and went back down to boulder to resume drinking. that altitude is the real deal. i cannot imagine doing what you guys did. that's absolutely awesome

i will now brag. and you'll likely know this place. in my playing days i went on a trip with friends to canaan valley. some of them were going to run a 5k that saturday morning and i was going to watch. at the last minute, after a massive breakfast, i signed up and actually won the race. you don't appreciate things when you're young lol

anyway you guys doing that in colorado is super admirable. don't stop

Reactions: Ohio Guy
a close buddy moved out to boulder so last summer for a guys' trip we drove out there. hung out in boulder. saw a concert at red rocks etc. anyway group of 6 fifty year olds. we decided to try and hike one day. made it up the equivalent of a hill and went back down to boulder to resume drinking. that altitude is the real deal. i cannot imagine doing what you guys did. that's absolutely awesome

i will now brag. and you'll likely know this place. in my playing days i went on a trip with friends to canaan valley. some of them were going to run a 5k that saturday morning and i was going to watch. at the last minute, after a massive breakfast, i signed up and actually won the race. you don't appreciate things when you're young lol

anyway you guys doing that in colorado is super admirable. don't stop
winning any race is pretty impressive. I've never come close to that, even at my most fit.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Using super with extra exclamation points?

gaydar.gif

I'm not that smart. You can tell that by my bank account.
Bank accounts can be determined by more than intelligence.

I’ve also interacted with some extremely intelligent people who don’t have the ability to use their intelligence for anything but impressing other folks on how smart they are.

Reactions: DANC
Sigh

Didn't know the Red Pill guys were into tokenism and participation trophies.

Leave the basketball to the basketball people. The basketball will be fine. Clark will be fine. She will have her time, and by then the game will have grown. They've already announced expansion plans.
Has the basketball not been fine before Clark? If so, you have to ask why the league has had the troubles it has had.

I will say all the things that people are avoiding. The league has had players that weren't always super likable, they chose to make their political positions a big part of the league's identity (which ultimately reduces the amount of customers you are likely to attract), and also has the biggest problem of being a league that is a lower excitement level than boys high school basketball for casual fans. That last one is the biggest factor IMO.

Clark hitting those deep 3's and scoring a bunch of points is what got her the attention. Plum did the scoring but she was just a run of the mill player based on where she was taking the shots from. When you talk strictly basketball, the WNBA is an inferior product. People knocking Clark for her stats (like shooting) really need to take a look at her numbers compared to the "greats" picked for the team. And these are people not playing on a team that appears to be a dysfunctional mess like the Fever.

"Why does nobody car about what A'ja Wilson is doing? Look at her numbers!" Because she is a 6'4" player whose game is played so far under the rim that it looks like better coached rec league men's players.

McM is right. Their chance is now. The basketball people may be running things and the basketball may be "alright" but the business has been and will suffer for it. Not sitting some of these old heads to bring in some of the young guns was a bad business move. They have some juice right now and they had a chance to do something positive with it. The casuals who haven't been watching aren't really getting a good impression of the league and it's players. Which is fine screw them, our job is to win games but the people who hired you's job is to earn money.

I had a little interest early on but it is waning. The basketball kind of sucks and I find myself not really liking the players either. I doubt I am in the minority there.

Correct. Stay the hell away from our league Trumpers!!! Also, why does no one watch or attend our games and why are we so underpaid? They're all racists!!!

Has the basketball not been fine before Clark? If so, you have to ask why the league has had the troubles it has had.

I will say all the things that people are avoiding. The league has had players that weren't always super likable, they chose to make their political positions a big part of the league's identity (which ultimately reduces the amount of customers you are likely to attract), and also has the biggest problem of being a league that is a lower excitement level than boys high school basketball for casual fans. That last one is the biggest factor IMO.

Clark hitting those deep 3's and scoring a bunch of points is what got her the attention. Plum did the scoring but she was just a run of the mill player based on where she was taking the shots from. When you talk strictly basketball, the WNBA is an inferior product. People knocking Clark for her stats (like shooting) really need to take a look at her numbers compared to the "greats" picked for the team. And these are people not playing on a team that appears to be a dysfunctional mess like the Fever.

"Why does nobody car about what A'ja Wilson is doing? Look at her numbers!" Because she is a 6'4" player whose game is played so far under the rim that it looks like better coached rec league men's players.

McM is right. Their chance is now. The basketball people may be running things and the basketball may be "alright" but the business has been and will suffer for it. Not sitting some of these old heads to bring in some of the young guns was a bad business move. They have some juice right now and they had a chance to do something positive with it. The casuals who haven't been watching aren't really getting a good impression of the league and it's players. Which is fine screw them, our job is to win games but the people who hired you's job is to earn money.

I had a little interest early on but it is waning. The basketball kind of sucks and I find myself not really liking the players either. I doubt I am in the minority there.
I agree. Press the issue. Cam Brink and Clark are super stars. Start them in the Olympics and risk only winning by 30 points instead of 35.

Or refuse to play your winning hand.

You just also described the wildly popular USWNT, so no.

Leaving basketball to basketball people gets you the league they have. Stl City mls team got 60,000 people to sign up for season tix. I guarantee that’s more than the entire wnba. Soccer people run the field operations. Enterprise Rent A Car execs run the business. Women who aren’t soccer players. I trust them more than soccer people.

Leaving basketball to basketball people gets you the league they have. Stl City mls team got 60,000 people to sign up for season tix. I guarantee that’s more than the entire wnba. Soccer people run the field operations. Enterprise Rent A Car execs run the business. Women who aren’t soccer players. I trust them more than soccer people.
Because the NBA is such a failing financial proposition? Same setup.

What about all the white folks who get undeserved jobs through legacy or nepotism? Why do you always bring up race? Are you afraid POC may get a chance to get ahead?
What about all the white folks who get undeserved jobs through legacy or nepotism? Why do you always bring up race? Are you afraid POC may get a chance to get ahead?
If you saw what I was responding to you might, just might, get the sarcasm

"Their chance is now." LOL

You think putting her on the team is going to do what? If the coaches and committee determined what wasn't going to get much time on the court, what value does she bring other than some token player at the end of the bench?

Give her time. Let her game mature to where she is actually impacting winning.

"Their chance is now." LOL

You think putting her on the team is going to do what? If the coaches and committee determined what wasn't going to get much time on the court, what value does she bring other than some token player at the end of the bench?

Give her time. Let her game mature to where she is actually impacting winning.
Putting her on the team puts eyes on the product. She isn't going to get time to mature with the way things are going because her league mates are hell bent on turning off the new viewers.

Reactions: stollcpa
Putting her on the team puts eyes on the product. She isn't going to get time to mature with the way things are going because her league mates are hell bent on turning off the new viewers.
Some lady went on Jon Stewart this week and started talking about how the WNBA needed exposure before Caitlin Clark because they were protesting Georgia election laws and fighting for equal pay.

They simply don’t get it.

Some lady went on Jon Stewart this week and started talking about how the WNBA needed exposure before Caitlin Clark because they were protesting Georgia election laws and fighting for equal pay.

They bullied her today into making comments about their pet projects. "Her fans are racists and homophobes and she needs to talk on it." Her own teammates had their girlfriend and friends throwing barbs. Frankly, if I were her I don't know if all of this would be worth it. Go ball in France or Germany and let this shit league implode.

Considering ratings and attendance have skyrocket compared to what it was in the past, I wouldn't worry about it. The next thing for Clark to do is start winning.

She isn't ready for the Olympic team. It's that simple.

They bullied her today into making comments about their pet projects. "Her fans are racists and homophobes and she needs to talk on it." Her own teammates had their girlfriend and friends throwing barbs. Frankly, if I were her I don't know if all of this would be worth it. Go ball in France or Germany and let this shit league implode.
It’s a completely toxic culture. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an athlete so vilified for doing nothing wrong. Obviously there was that Butker stuff a few weeks ago, that died out in a week when Reid, Mahomes and Jones had his back.

People got mad at Drew Brees when he said anodyne things like “I don’t agree with disrespecting the flag”. But that died out quickly as well.

It’s complete lunacy. Feminism is a disease.

• Haha
Reactions: zeke4ahs

Monica McNutt.

Look, there is a faction of the league that is upset she's getting all this attention. Big F-ing deal. When Clark starts winning, they'll shut up, and it will just be about basketball. That's how it works.

Considering ratings and attendance have skyrocket compared to what it was in the past, I wouldn't worry about it. The next thing for Clark to do is start winning.

She isn't ready for the Olympic team. It's that simple.
She has been the reason for the ratings spike. And again, "skyrocket" is really subjective. She is as ready for the Olympics as Tarausi was her first year.

But whatever, I am not the WNBA's demographic and they have made it clear that in order to participate in or be a fan of their league you have to bow to a certain worldview. One I don't really agree with. Couple that with boring shitty basketball and there is a reason next to no one gave a shit about the league before Clark came along. It won't matter if Clark is performing well 4 years from now with the way they are doing things at the moment. Most of the casuals coming around to watch her aren't going to stick around that long, particularly casuals who don't support the league's politics and are just there to watch ball. The league has made it abundantly clear that the sport is secondary to what they are trying to push.

You can have the last word, I've wasted enough brain cells on this already.

I've patently progressed through all tribal rituals; sweat lodge, walk about, self deprivation of women over the score of 9, for 9 pages of how Caitlin was aggrieved.
All I've came up with is, Dehydration, sore feet and back, and still married to a 1.
First world problems just don't seem to be my thing. Who knew?

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1
I've patently progressed through all tribal rituals; sweat lodge, walk about, self deprivation of women over the score of 9, for 9 pages of how Caitlin was aggrieved.
All I've came up with is, Dehydration, sore feet and back, and still married to a 1.
First world problems just don't seem to be my thing. Who knew?
Give her some lipstick and up it to a 2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT