ADVERTISEMENT

Buffalouie's, Yogi's, Social Cantina, and Aver's Pizza coming to Memorial Stadium

Fro

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001

Among the changes IU Football fans will notice in Memorial Stadium is the presence of several local favorites, including Buffalouie's, Yogi's, Social Cantina, and Aver's Pizza. In addition, there will be the traditional person-to-person concessions options that fans are accustomed to, and several new Grab-and-Go locations designed for convenience. Collectively, a trip around the concourse of Memorial Stadium will reveal a much different and more diverse list of concessions offerings, ranging from chicken wings to Italian Beef sandwiches to tacos.

1. What is Yogis?
2. Doesn’t Laskowski own a hamburger/ice cream type place? They should put that in the stadium. I think it would be a big hit.

Reactions: ulrey
1. What is Yogis?
Hungry Yogi Bear GIF by Boomerang Official

Last edited:
Last year was our first with season tickets. Just my wife and I so we aren’t really tailgating. Only bought a beer and maybe a popcorn before. I’m actually looking forward to the changes since we don’t have a big group that we go to the games with.

I like the changes being made on paper so looking forward to seeing how it works on gameday.

I’m looking forward to the ROTC section of 125 cadets. They are bringing back “Big Jake” the howitzer canon. I’m all for giving that field level group everything at their disposal to make noise. Give them a bunch of stuff and let them go nuts. Cowbells, towel waving, anything to generate commotion on game day.

Levy is involved with a bunch of college, NFL and NBA venues. Gainbridge Fieldhouse concessions is Levy operated. They operate at OSU, Alabama. Notre Dame. Sodexo and Aramark are other national vendors.
Notre Dame must have made that change somewhat recently. My kids high school used to do their fundraiser working concessions at ND Stadium. The quality of the product wasn't if much concern to them. Fail to say Go Irish to a customer when they paid, now there's something that they were really concerned with.

I’m looking forward to the ROTC section of 125 cadets. They are bringing back “Big Jake” the howitzer canon. I’m all for giving that field level group everything at their disposal to make noise. Give them a bunch of stuff and let them go nuts. Cowbells, towel waving, anything to generate commotion on game day.
Need to bring back the IU Calliope of the 70’s, too. Anyone know if it’s still around and functioning? Last I heard years ago, it was stored up at IU in Indy. By time I was at IU in the 80’s, it wasn’t at games any more. Am I the only one who remembers it?

Need to bring back the IU Calliope of the 70’s, too. Anyone know if it’s still around and functioning? Last I heard years ago, it was stored up at IU in Indy. By time I was at IU in the 80’s, it wasn’t at games any more. Am I the only one who remembers it?
I kinda remember it, but not very well.

Reactions: 76-1
Looks like it was at an IU Day at IU Northwest half a decade ago. Not sure how often it gets around but I appreciate you enlightening a younger alumni on a Hoosier relic I was unaware of.

Never heard of Aver's Pizza. Is it any good?
I used to date a Bloomington woman, a woman of good taste. We all know one, if not many. She claimed her favorite pie in town was Avers. I’ve always sworn by thin crust pepperoni, simple man not liking to cause trouble nowhere soon anytime. Curious creature suggested we get one so she ordered their “Cream and Crimson” pie. I must say, it was pretty damn good. It might have been the Alfredo sauce and to my surprise, the thinly sliced roasted red potatoes. I would have thought potatoes not working here but work they did, and tasted mighty fine with that red wine. Who knew?

Really, the secret to any great meal is being hungry. During the Bataan Death March, 1942, solders claimed a wafer of British biscuit and polluted water tasted like oysters Rockefeller with a nice Chianti. Starvation may have reached the hallucinatory phase towards the end.

I used to date a Bloomington woman, a woman of good taste. We all know one, if not many. She claimed her favorite pie in town was Avers. I’ve always sworn by thin crust pepperoni, simple man not liking to cause trouble nowhere soon anytime. Curious creature suggested we get one so she ordered their “Cream and Crimson” pie. I must say, it was pretty damn good. It might have been the Alfredo sauce and to my surprise, the thinly sliced roasted red potatoes. I would have thought potatoes not working here but work they did, and tasted mighty fine with that red wine. Who knew?

Really, the secret to any great meal is being hungry. During the Bataan Death March, 1942, solders claimed a wafer of British biscuit and polluted water tasted like oysters Rockefeller with a nice Chianti. Starvation may have reached the hallucinatory phase towards the end.
The Cream & Crimson pizza from Aver

the Cream & Crimson pizza from Aver’s is my family’s favorite. Anyone that has not had one you should try one out at the next game.

I dunno how old you are but Yogis has been in Bloomington for at least 24 years. I'm not sure if the Indiana Avenue location is still open, but they have the space Scotty's uses to occupy, just north of the bluebird on Walnut.

Now, it's never held a candle to Nick's, but there are certainly worse bars in B-ton.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I dunno how old you are but Yogis has been in Bloomington for at least 24 years. I'm not sure if the Indiana Avenue location is still open, but they have the space Scotty's uses to occupy, just north of the bluebird on Walnut.

Now, it's never held a candle to Nick's, but there are certainly worse bars in B-ton.
Graduated in '90 and Yogi's wasn't there then.

Reactions: vesuvius13

It closed and the building has been razed but the owner of The Tap (R. I. P. ) bought the name and menu and opened it at Scotty’s old location.

For me, it doesn’t remotely compared to the original yogis, and I would probably argue that during its heyday it actually did rival Nick’s in popularity, at least among current students/locals. Obviously it could not rival the decades of alumni who preferred Nick’s.

Aver’s has won awards.
They were one of the first in Bloomington to do the unconventional sauce and toppings variety. They are good. They remind some people of Mother Bear’s. Depends on your tastes. A recent poll indicated that Cafe Pizzeria got the most votes as favorite pizza in town. Nick’s has good pizza.
Again, depends on your tastes. Some people swear by Dominos, which I personally extremely dislike. If I’m getting Dominos, it’s because everything is closed.

Aver’s has won awards.
They were one of the first in Bloomington to do the unconventional sauce and toppings variety. They are good. They remind some people of Mother Bear’s. Depends on your tastes. A recent poll indicated that Cafe Pizzeria got the most votes as favorite pizza in town. Nick’s has good pizza.
Again, depends on your tastes. Some people swear by Dominos, which I personally extremely dislike. If I’m getting Dominos, it’s because everything is closed.
It’s always been my understanding Nick’s get their pizzas next door at Cafe Pizzeria. Is this a truism? Being more of a Gables guy, I think I’ve only been inside CP less than a handful of times since the Fall of ‘69. That seems odd to me, given my penchant for pizza crust. I recall it being a very quaint place with lots of red, much like Nicks.

Currently my wife and I are lured into Chicago Pizza (Columbus) for their thin crust pepperoni as our “go to” when the crave comes calling.

Aver’s has won awards.
The last couple of pizzas I've had at Nick's have been awful. And I used to lvoe them. In fact, everything at Nick's has gone to shit except Sink the Biz fries.

The last couple of pizzas I've had at Nick's have been awful. And I used to lvoe them. In fact, everything at Nick's has gone to shit except Sink the Biz fries.
I woke up to like this.

A text from a classmate about timing of deployment has me up at 1:00 am

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I woke up to like this.

A text from a classmate about timing of deployment has me up at 1:00 am
By the way, my friend's boy is a helicopter mech in the 82nd Airborne. He got back from Iraq last June.

He joined his unit after Basic and training in March of 2023. He told me then they would be deploying to Iraq around Thanksgiving of that year - at least 7 months. He was a PFC. If he knew that far ahead of time, I guarantee you an E-8 knew well before than when his unit would be deployed.

It’s always been my understanding Nick’s get their pizzas next door at Cafe Pizzeria. Is this a truism? Being more of a Gables guy, I think I’ve only been inside CP less than a handful of times since the Fall of ‘69. That seems odd to me, given my penchant for pizza crust. I recall it being a very quaint place with lots of red, much like Nicks.

Currently my wife and I are lured into Chicago Pizza (Columbus) for their thin crust pepperoni as our “go to” when the crave comes calling.
I also believe this is true.

Yeah, I used to play some golf with the owner of the old Yogi’s. He sold it in 2015 and the new owners soon closed it for reasons I should not mention. I had a bad experience at the new Yogi’s downtown but then I have had several bad experiences with the restaurants run by that group.

Where is it located? I can't believe I've never heard of it.
The one we went to was off of Kinser Pike and 46. It was tucked back in a small shopping complex where Marsh was the major tenant. (Looked it up and the Marsh is now a Kroger).

They had a deal at the time (late 90's to early 2000's) called the Aver's 8 where you got like a medium pizza, some breadsticks, and a couple drinks for $8. They were "gourmet pizza" so they were a step up in quality from the Pizza Express "Big Ten" deal (large pizza, 10 breadsticks, and 2 drinks for $10). Anyways, 20 years ago they were pretty decent but couldn't say one way or the other today.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT