ADVERTISEMENT

BuffaLouie’s

I need to know where to get a pork tenderloin sammich when I go back to Indiana. You liked BuffaLouie’s. What are other recommendations in southern & central Indiana ?? This used to be a hotly debated question back in the day, and Iowa still claims their version is best.

What ya got, folks?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I need to know where to get a pork tenderloin sammich when I go back to Indiana. You liked BuffaLouie’s. What are other recommendations in southern & central Indiana ?? This used to be a hotly debated question back in the day, and Iowa still claims their version is best.

What ya got, folks?
Check out "The Cabin" out on 446 east of town. Hole in the wall roadhouse, but guy makes a great tenderloin....FRESH.

I could hear him back there pounding out the cut last time there.

That pork tenderloin from BuffaLouie’s was outstanding. Highly recommend.
Ed (the owner) is one of the top supporters of athletics (IU and local schools/clubs) in town. You can usually catch the OLmen upstairs at Buffas on Thursday nights crushing wings.

He was so pumped to get Buffas in MS and AH. Just elated.

Great guy with a great family. 👍

What ya got, folks?
Iowa BTS' are generally not great they fell for the pound it paper thin and dry schtick to make huge photos. Sadly, some Indiana restaurants have now done the same. Indy has a bunch of good ones.

Check out "The Cabin" out on 446 east of town. Hole in the wall roadhouse, but guy makes a great tenderloin....FRESH.

I could hear him back there pounding out the cut last time there.
Agree with this. There is another hole-in-the-wall place south of town on old 37 in Harrodsburg that has an outstanding one. Gotta go to those kinds of places to get the real deal.

What ya got, folks?
If you come into Bloomington via Columbus, stop at the Gnaw Mart (in Gnaw Bone, between Columbus and Nashville). You won't be sorry.

Iowa BTS' are generally not great they fell for the pound it paper thin and dry schtick to make huge photos. Sadly, some Indiana restaurants have now done the same. Indy has a bunch of good ones.
Those flat paper thin things are all breading. Makes a wonderful photo. Might as well eat a 1/4 loaf of bread. If the tenderloin meat isn't 3/8 - 7/16" thick the seasoning in the breading just doesn't have anything to contrast with. The bride and I raised 3 sons and to a certain extent many of their buddies. We've probably made from scratch 200-300 over 40+ years. Northern Indiana has several joints with breaded pork tenderloins much like I've described. I've enjoyed some good 1's just north of the Ohio myself.

What ya got, folks?
Binkley's in Indy is my current favorite. Sadly they shut down Nickel Plate in Fishers several years back which I thought had the best in the state.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If you come into Bloomington via Columbus, stop at the Gnaw Mart (in Gnaw Bone, between Columbus and Nashville). You won't be sorry.
I agree. Years ago Bob Knight used to eat there and the place was written up in Gourmet Magazine. There was a subsequent time when the owner sold the place and the tenderloins got thinner, but I ate one a few weeks ago after a long hiatus for that very reason and it is now back to how I always remembered them…thick and meaty, a well-seasoned deluxe. They have hidden picnic tables in the back room for inside dining. The tenderloins are hand cut each morning and pair well with their onion rings, along with other deep fried things.

I agree. Years ago Bob Knight used to eat there and the place was written up in Gourmet Magazine. There was a subsequent time when the owner sold the place and the tenderloins got thinner, but I ate one a few weeks ago after a long hiatus for that very reason and it is now back to how I always remembered them…thick and meaty, a well-seasoned deluxe. They have hidden picnic tables in the back room for inside dining. The tenderloins are hand cut each morning and pair well with their onion rings, along with other deep fried things.
He used to frequent “our sandwich place” in Nashville too.

Reactions: red hornet
Ed (the owner) is one of the top supporters of athletics (IU and local schools/clubs) in town. You can usually catch the OLmen upstairs at Buffas on Thursday nights crushing wings.

He was so pumped to get Buffas in MS and AH. Just elated.

Great guy with a great family. 👍
I know him also. Big supporter of women’s basketball also. And the new bagels are 🔥

Reactions: red hornet

What ya got, folks?
Try Office Lounge or Hoosier Bar and Grill
Both very good

Agree with this. There is another hole-in-the-wall place south of town on old 37 in Harrodsburg that has an outstanding one. Gotta go to those kinds of places to get the real deal.
I'm guessing this is Holts Cafe of which...you speak of...*

Unconditionally the best tenderloin sandwich I've ever had...and I've been eating them for 50 years

*quite intentional grammar police.

He used to frequent “our sandwich place” in Nashville too.
Yes, the former owner, Larry Hawkins was Bob’s good buddy and had the restaurant all decorated in IU memorabilia except for one big wall photo of Bird’s ISU team. He always reserved the big round table around the corner partition for Bob’s privacy. The new owners have kept the IU motif, but have added a KY and PU table. It’s a good place for breakfast and I’ll get the fish sandwich for lunch. All IU fans should visit this Bob Knight shrine at least once in their lives. It’s located in the basement beneath the Nashville House eatery. Bob loved to eat and so do I.

I'm guessing this is Holts Cafe of which...you speak of...*

Unconditionally the best tenderloin sandwich I've ever had...and I've been eating them for 50 years

*quite intentional grammar police.
We'll go down to Holt's every once in awhile for the breakfast buffet.

First time we went down, daughter was like 7, and when we pulled up, asked if there would be "any farmers in there?".

Walked in, and 85% of the crowd was old guys in overalls and snapback hats with some machinery supplier on them. 😄

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT