ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Drew?

HoosierCali1

Newcomer
Mar 9, 2012
Anyone else think he would do well here? Just watching him last night vs Kentucky I think he could do really big things. I'd obviously much rather have Billy D or Marshall but if we were turned down by them does anybody else think he'd get a look?

As someone born and raised in Indiana but a Vandy alum, I want to see IU succeed but I want Drew to stay where he is. Even though I like what he has done, he is still a question mark as far a power 5 coaching and recruiting so I think IU should be able to get someone who is proven. Miller, Marshall or Holtman if they can't get Donovan.

Reactions: russelltodd
I wish we would somehow pull off getting Donovan, but I dont have much faith in us getting it done. That's why I think it'll be an up and comer type hire, and I'd probably take literally anybody over crean.

As someone born and raised in Indiana but a Vandy alum, I want to see IU succeed but I want Drew to stay where he is. Even though I like what he has done, he is still a question mark as far a power 5 coaching and recruiting so I think IU should be able to get someone who is proven. Miller, Marshall or Holtman if they can't get Donovan.

Too early in his career, but I'm betting he turns out to be a really good coach. I love the ball movement and spreading the floor on O and defensively, his teams play aggressive, in your face m2m.

Reactions: GMann1
I would be OK with any of the Drews if the big names all turned us down. They both did great at Valpo and both are doing great and non-basketball schools Baylor and Vandy.

I would be OK with any of the Drews if the big names all turned us down. They both did great at Valpo and both are doing great and non-basketball schools Baylor and Vandy.

Vandy isn't a non-basketball school. Its tradition, while not IU's or UNC's, is not all that bad for a high-academic school.

I could be wrong but I don't see Bryce as the type of guy to take a job and then leave after year 1 (aka Lane Kiffin). I know IU would offer a better basketball brand, salary and recruiting but I think he stays for a few years IF he decides to move on. After all, there will be several big name schools with openings in the next several years. If he proves himself at Vandy, he will be offered something big.

I could be wrong but I don't see Bryce as the type of guy to take a job and then leave after year 1 (aka Lane Kiffin). I know IU would offer a better basketball brand, salary and recruiting but I think he stays for a few years IF he decides to move on. After all, there will be several big name schools with openings in the next several years. If he proves himself at Vandy, he will be offered something big.

I wouldn't mind having Bryce Drew but agree that he might not leave after 1 year even for Indiana. Certainly they could get Archie and probably get a look before Drew. Would either Drew bring in Tonagel as an asst.?

So was Coach K at Duke till he got a good job.

So was Coach K at Duke till he got a good job.

Fair enough but there are far more coaches who were elevated with little experience that failed then became hall of fame coaches. I like what Bryce has done this year but I was just making a point that there are guys who have been doing it longer with more success that IU should be able to get. If they can't get any of the guys I listed, they should not have dreams of being elite again unless they make a lucky hire.

Fair enough but there are far more coaches who were elevated with little experience that failed then became hall of fame coaches. I like what Bryce has done this year but I was just making a point that there are guys who have been doing it longer with more success that IU should be able to get. If they can't get any of the guys I listed, they should not have dreams of being elite again unless they make a lucky hire.
I agree. I think he's done a pretty good job this year. Might be worth a chance and could be the best up and coming coach out there. Or maybe not. That's the gamble.

He's already at a better program.

latest

I wouldn't mind having Bryce Drew but agree that he might not leave after 1 year even for Indiana. Certainly they could get Archie and probably get a look before Drew. Would either Drew bring in Tonagel as an asst.?
I believe I've read where Tonagal has said that he's more wired to be the one calling the shots. And not likely to take an assistants position.

And that was an answer to a question regarding him being an assistant at a larger school.

I believe I've read where Tonagal has said that he's more wired to be the one calling the shots. And not likely to take an assistants position.

And that was an answer to a question regarding him being an assistant at a larger school.

I could see a Tonagel hire . . . but he'd have to have the personality to handle a major program's alumni and public relations standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT