ADVERTISEMENT

Brunk should not start

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
Or play more than 10 minutes a game. If DD could make a freaking FT or a bunny he wouldn’t have to play at all. Something is up with DDs head and I’m sure it has to do with him realizing he Is almost done with his basketball career.

Brunk is the worst big man I have seen in the big ten. He can’t be a goon because he’s soft. Like Evan fitzner soft. His feet are way slower than DDs, that’s hard to do. His hands are like bricks. His low post moves are horrendous. His athletic ability is non existent.

I would have no problem if he played 0 minutes the rest of the year. He hurts way more than he helps because he doesn’t help at all. Having his goofy butt on the floor to start games and half’s puts us automatically at a dis advantage.

2 years in a row Archie has got a big guy that is utterly worthless in big ten basketball. You have to be a grown man to play in this league and Brunk is not that. Not even close.

I questioned the hell out of this pick up because, you know, he was this bad at butler too.

Or play more than 10 minutes a game. If DD could make a freaking FT or a bunny he wouldn’t have to play at all. Something is up with DDs head and I’m sure it has to do with him realizing he Is almost done with his basketball career.

Brunk is the worst big man I have seen in the big ten. He can’t be a goon because he’s soft. Like Evan fitzner soft. His feet are way slower than DDs, that’s hard to do. His hands are like bricks. His low post moves are horrendous. His athletic ability is non existent.

I would have no problem if he played 0 minutes the rest of the year. He hurts way more than he helps because he doesn’t help at all. Having his goofy butt on the floor to start games and half’s puts us automatically at a dis advantage.

2 years in a row Archie has got a big guy that is utterly worthless in big ten basketball. You have to be a grown man to play in this league and Brunk is not that. Not even close.

I questioned the hell out of this pick up because, you know, he was this bad at butler too.

DD’s problem is not in his head, it’s about six feet and nine inches below his head and it’s called an achilles tear. Very few players fully recover from this injury to their pre-injury ability. This probably isn’t noticed on a regular Joe who plays intramural or pickup games at the Y, but you can damn sure notice it when you’re going up against B1G level D1 athletes. DD was effectively finished when he tore his achilles. Here is an article on NBA players who have suffered the same injury.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2018/1/27/16940178/nba-achilles-injury-history-kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-future

I recommend everyone take a look at footage of Arvydas Sabonis this from the 80s before his achilles injuries. Sabonis was so good that even after the injuries he was better than a lot of players, but nowhere near what he was prior.

This post has nothing to do with Archie. As a fellow athlete who tore an achilles, this is directed at the know-nothings who think DD just gave up or isn’t tough.

DD’s problem is not in his head, it’s about six feet and nine inches below his head and it’s called an achilles tear. Very few players fully recover from this injury to their pre-injury ability. This probably isn’t noticed on a regular Joe who plays intramural or pickup games at the Y, but you can damn sure notice it when you’re going up against B1G level D1 athletes. DD was effectively finished when he tore his achilles. Here is an article on NBA players who have suffered the same injury.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...ory-kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-future
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...ory-kevin-durant-golden-state-warriors-future

I recommend everyone take a look at footage of Arvydas Sabonis this from the 80s before his achilles injuries. Sabonis was so good that even after the injuries he was better than a lot of players, but nowhere near what he was prior.

This post has nothing to do with Archie. As a fellow athlete who tore an achilles, this is directed at the know-nothings who think DD just gave up or isn’t tough.

That Achilles is given him hell on those Fts and 2 footers. Has all the footwork and game speed he needs but that damn Achilles factors in to his FT shooting, not his head. Thanks former athlete.

Reactions: stollcpa
Archie is in over his head.
One loss, albeit an ugly one, and according to the above posters, the sky is falling.

No one saw Al Durham get TKO'd early? Al was sucker punched early and saw stars. Surprised they let him come back in after that one.

No one saw the moving screens and shoulder bumps? And the swallowed whistles...stuff happens on the road.

Really did need the upperclassmen to stop the bleeding on the court yesterday. That is the leadership lack that even Al Durham was talking about after the fact. Clearly Wisconsin got hot and IU wilted...but the refs had their thumbs on the scales, too.

Bad loss, sure. Not surprised it was a loss, though, on the road at Wisconsin. Hope it's not a trend, but the team mostly mailed it in on defense, for sure.

Reactions: hondo314
That Achilles is given him hell on those Fts and 2 footers. Has all the footwork and game speed he needs but that damn Achilles factors in to his FT shooting, not his head. Thanks former athlete.

Hard to get to the line if you hardly get in the game. And now you’re talking about FOOTwork while talking about someone with an achilles injury. Maybe you should study up on basic anatomy. Thanks know-nothing.

Reactions: zibby43
Hard to get to the line if you hardly get in the game. And now you’re talking about FOOTwork while talking about someone with an achilles injury. Maybe you should study up on basic anatomy. Thanks know-nothing.

he shot 4 Fts in 4 mins. He did not come close on any one of them. That is why he got taken out. Nothing to do with his achilles. I am a former athlete too. JV tennis as a freshmen, beat that.

he shot 4 Fts in 4 mins. He did not come close on any one of them. That is why he got taken out. Nothing to do with his achilles. I am a former athlete too. JV tennis as a freshmen, beat that.

He shot 75% FTs his freshman year and since then he’s shot in the 50s and 40s from the line. I wonder what happened after his freshman year that could have effected his whole game by cutting playing and practice time and probably also effected him mentally.

Brunk is better than an injured DeRon.

Reactions: IULouie
One loss, albeit an ugly one, and according to the above posters, the sky is falling.

No one saw Al Durham get TKO'd early? Al was sucker punched early and saw stars. Surprised they let him come back in after that one.

No one saw the moving screens and shoulder bumps? And the swallowed whistles...stuff happens on the road.

Really did need the upperclassmen to stop the bleeding on the court yesterday. That is the leadership lack that even Al Durham was talking about after the fact. Clearly Wisconsin got hot and IU wilted...but the refs had their thumbs on the scales, too.

Bad loss, sure. Not surprised it was a loss, though, on the road at Wisconsin. Hope it's not a trend, but the team mostly mailed it in on defense, for sure.
I would agree if this was Archie first year but it's year three and ive seen nothing telling me he is the guy yet. I have been very unimpressed so far.

Reactions: ReadHall84

Blaming the refs? Seriously? This was a blow out. Sure, the refs missed some calls. Happens every game.

Blaming the refs? Seriously? This was a blow out. Sure, the refs missed some calls. Happens every game.
Yes, you are right. The only thing in my post was my blaming the refs. Well, actually, no it wasn't.

The big point that I made that you and others have disregarded was that Al Durham was knocked out early. That point was made but posters have ignored it. He was staggering and needed help off of the court. It seemed to take him significant time to get back into the flow of the game. His defense and leadership is needed out there.

But sure, my including subsequently that the refs didn't call that or other shoulder bumps really bothers you and other naysayers. It was buried in the 3rd paragraph.

The chippiness of Wisconsin and the fact of it being a road game...and losing Al Durham's leadership and defense at the critical juncture helped Wisconsin to that early 14-0 run.

But go ahead and divert that to my minor point about the refs and home cooking. Cool.

Don't think about it. Just respond with another rhetorical comment against a fellow IU fan. That is if you really are a fan.

Last edited:
Brunk is better than DD. I don't see DD making much of an impact this year. Performance and leadership is not there.

I have been disappointed in Brunk's hands and his toughness. I like Thompson's upside and toughness. He may have been a monster early, but I am not seeing the fire and effort we heard about. It is possible Race is better off the bench and Brunk is starting as the only other option. I don't see Hunter or Thompson stating soon.

Brunk will watch his play on video. I would be surprised if he doesn't take pride in his game and compete better. If not, he never will and he should be sitting next to DD.

Atleast Brunk is the only one who shows confidence out there.

Well besides Devonte who has TOO much confidence which is almost as bad as not having any confidence.

Durham may have seen stars but we cant put everyone on concussion protocol now. Get real we have to pick and choose.

Also, in regards to swallowed whistles, and shoulder bumps and jock strap grabs, you couldnt come up with enough excuses as to why we were that badly blown out if you all tried together

Last edited:
Reactions: IULouie
He shot 75% FTs his freshman year and since then he’s shot in the 50s and 40s from the line. I wonder what happened after his freshman year that could have effected his whole game by cutting playing and practice time and probably also effected him mentally.
Sometimes a gremlin finds his way down the passageways of the cranium, tearing away at the mechanics of the mind. It can be worse on the psyche than the dreaded earwig of near equal mental destruction. I saw it happen to Brunk at the free throw line against FSU. It’s happened to the Colt’s Vinatieri. It infected the gray matter of IU’s seemingly invincible Justin in the Bucket game. Once a player recognizes what a hairy monster it can be and starts worrying about that gremlin, you might as well have ‘em wheeled off the court strapped to a stretcher. He gone!

DD needs to give up basketball, he ca barely move on the floor. Know when to call it over. Get the degree and join the working force. You did your best and owe no one.

Brunk was bad against the Badgers but he should start. They need to challenge him to play better.

He is no better than Tom P his senior year. He should get the same minutes. Sure Cody was on that team, but TJD is on this one and so is Race and DD.

I don't think he got Brunk with the anticipation he would start, he was an insurance policy that is being pressed in to starting imo, because of DD's inability to get healthy. Our roster is better for having him here and I think it was a good signing, especially as we get deeper in to the B10 schedule. We'll need bodies/fouls to contend with other team's bigs, and for his shortcomings, imo, it's better than having 6'7" or smaller guys guarding the other team's post players. If RP gets healthy, we may seem some lineup shuffling and that might push Brunk to the bench, but regardless, I'm glad we have him.

I don't think he got Brunk with the anticipation he would start, he was an insurance policy that is being pressed in to starting imo, because of DD's inability to get healthy. Our roster is better for having him here and I think it was a good signing, especially as we get deeper in to the B10 schedule. We'll need bodies/fouls to contend with other team's bigs, and for his shortcomings, imo, it's better than having 6'7" or smaller guys guarding the other team's post players. If RP gets healthy, we may seem some lineup shuffling and that might push Brunk to the bench, but regardless, I'm glad we have him.

I agree I would rather have him than not, but we only have 11 scholarship players. I would have liked a different grad transfer big and a project or two from overseas or a PU like unknown 7footer. I like gambles over already known bad players.

I agree I would rather have him than not, but we only have 11 scholarship players. I would have liked a different grad transfer big and a project or two from overseas or a PU like unknown 7footer. I like gambles over already known bad players.

well, grad transfers are generally gambles, so if you wanted a bigger gamble than JB, you'd be disappointed (and out of a job if you were a coach) far more often than rewarded for that gamble. Brunk was a good signing, and I believe is paying dividends, because imagine how short handed we'd be without him. If I had a frustration with CAM roster-wise, as I've said on here many times, it's not having more backcourt depth. Finding a kid who was a solid ball-handler that could knock down a 3 would have been huge for this roster.

It's not really fair to call Brunk a "bad player", because he's being pressed in to more service, even starting, than I believe what he was intended to. I think coming in to the season, his expected role was 10-12 minutes a game in the frontcourt rotation. He's obviously being asked to do way more than that.

I get the sense, and this is just my opinion based upon watching DD, that he maybe isn’t the most dedicated/hardest worker. Think about it, a backup from Butler came in and took a potential starting position from him GOING INTO HIS SENIOR YEAR. Al Durham, a Jr, was named a captain over him. He has had some injuries during his time here, but he never appears to have gotten himself in great physical shape, despite a great deal of support at his disposal. He obviously hasn’t earned Archie’s trust or else he would be playing more. I think when it is all said and done we will look back at his career as one that could have been but for whatever reason just wasn’t. There is time to turn it around as the season is young. But he’s not all of the sudden going to be in great shape in February if he hasn’t put in the time and work throughout his career.

This is just my opinion. I have no inside knowledge.

well, grad transfers are generally gambles, so if you wanted a bigger gamble than JB, you'd be disappointed (and out of a job if you were a coach) far more often than rewarded for that gamble. Brunk was a good signing, and I believe is paying dividends, because imagine how short handed we'd be without him. If I had a frustration with CAM roster-wise, as I've said on here many times, it's not having more backcourt depth. Finding a kid who was a solid ball-handler that could knock down a 3 would have been huge for this roster.

It's not really fair to call Brunk a "bad player", because he's being pressed in to more service, even starting, than I believe what he was intended to. I think coming in to the season, his expected role was 10-12 minutes a game in the frontcourt rotation. He's obviously being asked to do way more than that.

I totally disagree with you. I think Franklin was a home run and better than 90% of freshmen guards in the the top 150. You can’t just get a solid ball handler knock down three freshmen. Those are 5 stars.

as far as gambles I meant Brunk was not a gamble. Freshmen projects and oversea guys are. Any other big grad transfer would have been better than Brunk. He couldn’t get on the floor at butler (they appear better than us) and he shouldn’t be able to at IU. 10 mins or under is it. He doesn’t do anything well and is below average to bad in everything.

I totally disagree with you. I think Franklin was a home run and better than 90% of freshmen guards in the the top 150. You can’t just get a solid ball handler knock down three freshmen. Those are 5 stars.

as far as gambles I meant Brunk was not a gamble. Freshmen projects and oversea guys are. Any other big grad transfer would have been better than Brunk. He couldn’t get on the floor at butler (they appear better than us) and he shouldn’t be able to at IU. 10 mins or under is it. He doesn’t do anything well and is below average to bad in everything.
This is from the Butler website: In season 18-19 Brunk "… saw action in all 33 games, making the first 13 starts of his Butler career...led the team with a .617 field goal percentage, which ranks Top 10 on Butler's single-season list...his 7.6 points and 3.6 rebounds per game both ranked fifth on the team...shot 65 percent at the free throw line...averaged 18.6 minutes per game...posted career-highs of 20 points and 10 rebounds at Seton Hall Jan. 9, his first career double-double...scored in double figures nine times...led Butler in rebounding four times. …"

So saying that he didn't even get to see the floor up there is dead wrong. And considering that he started 1/3 of the games as a red shirt sophomore is somewhat impressive to me.

He was treated unfairly on here before he even got here. Partially, I believe, because of that fact that some naysayers held the idea that Butler basketball is waaaay below the level that they envisioned IU. How is that for having preconceived opinions on an individual player?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I get the sense, and this is just my opinion based upon watching DD, that he maybe isn’t the most dedicated/hardest worker. Think about it, a backup from Butler came in and took a potential starting position from him GOING INTO HIS SENIOR YEAR. Al Durham, a Jr, was named a captain over him. He has had some injuries during his time here, but he never appears to have gotten himself in great physical shape, despite a great deal of support at his disposal. He obviously hasn’t earned Archie’s trust or else he would be playing more. I think when it is all said and done we will look back at his career as one that could have been but for whatever reason just wasn’t. There is time to turn it around as the season is young. But he’s not all of the sudden going to be in great shape in February if he hasn’t put in the time and work throughout his career.

I've wondered about that too, but I think what BHE is saying above about the severity and timeline of a torn Achilles is also a big part of the issue. I had someone else tell me the exact same thing: a torn Achilles can take longer than a year to heal and oftentimes, you're never the same after that. DD was a very effective post at one point, but he looks like a shell of himself today to me. I don't think it's fair to criticize him for "not putting the time in throughout his career" because so much of it has been marred and influenced by injury. I had 2 surgeries this year, one fairly routine (meniscus) and one pretty severe. The severe one has taken a lot to recover from and has physically changed my body, as my calf has really atrophied and is much smaller and weaker than it was before and than my other leg. Routine movements are having to be relearned, re-acclimated and adjusted to and I'd imagine a repaired Achilles would be very much like that.

Word on this and other sites is that DD was trying hard to get back into shape. I don't understand why anyone would get down on a guy that, to me, has tried to come back from Achilles heel tendon surgery. It is a tough recovery, which many on here have posted that some never regain their previous hops. It is more likely that it throws off everything he does. He probably is more disappointed that all of us. To me he looks in pretty good physical shape. He tries. If he didn't try, Archie wouldn't be putting him in the minutes he does. But I have no inside knowledge...just what I see and read. He does need to hit those free throws.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Watching the game on Saturday showed that Brunk is too slow to guard anyone whose feet aren't nailed to the floor. Ruevers and others would constantly drive past him if he was trying to guard them more than 10 feet away from the basket

Watching the game on Saturday showed that Brunk is too slow to guard anyone whose feet aren't nailed to the floor. Ruevers and others would constantly drive past him if he was trying to guard them more than 10 feet away from the basket
Yeah, Brunk was schooled. It was also his first B1G game, and on the road with this team. And the team generally didn't play decent defense. They allowed the passes to get in. There was little effective help. All that and Brunk had an off night.

He may not be the best center in the B1G. Heh. But someone had to be on the floor. Should Race be it? Should TJD go in? Seems to me they got their chances too. It wasn't just Brunk against Wisconsin.

The whole team looked like they were too slow or out of position. Especially once Al Durham got decked. Wisconsin went up 14 straight points. Without a whimper from anyone on the team, seemed to me.

Word on this and other sites is that DD was trying hard to get back into shape. I don't understand why anyone would get down on a guy that, to me, has tried to come back from Achilles heel tendon surgery. It is a tough recovery, which many on here have posted that some never regain their previous hops. It is more likely that it throws off everything he does. He probably is more disappointed that all of us. To me he looks in pretty good physical shape. He tries. If he didn't try, Archie wouldn't be putting him in the minutes he does. But I have no inside knowledge...just what I see and read. He does need to hit those free throws.

This time next year there will be know-nothings saying Kevin Durant is weak and lazy. Durant won’t be the same.

We would be in a far greater world of hurt if we hadnt had got Brunk\no center\ no big man this year.

Reactions: ufo33
He was definitely a good addition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT