ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm press conference.....

Don't think billionaires - they are smart (generally) with their money and reinvest in themselves to grow their wealth and businesses that exist on national/international level, and they typically don't throw large amounts around to college sports (Pickens and Phil Knight be some exceptions)

Think multi-millionaires that accrue wealth through a network of local/regional resale businesses (car dealerships, furniture stores, gas stations, liquor stores). Unless they directly buy out competitors, there is not much room for expansion, and they aren't trying to create new products, and thus they no real incentive to reinvest extensively in their business. These are the people that tend to give lots of money to college sports, and Louisville has a ton of them, and they try to show each other up with the amount of money they can throw around.
It is a terrible investment. The coach might be gone in a few years with no return for the investment. But, if there is a local connection or the coach was a friend, classmate, or team mate, I could see a successful person donating the money.

Maybe some guy that used to run a pizza business would like to see Brohm at UL. Of course they are busy taking his name off everything he has donated. Not sure they want his money.

Private money - not school money or Athletic Department budget - will fund this thing.

I understand what you are saying, but there is no such thing as private money for these activities...it's all school money at some point. The money is contributed to the University who in turn funds the activity.

I understand what you are saying, but there is no such thing as private money for these activities...it's all school money at some point. The money is contributed to the University who in turn funds the activity.
When we donate to my wife's program, we want it to fund that program. It is all a general fund, but I still like to think the money is used for the program. It doesn't add to the allowed budget, but it allows the school to fund another program. For all I know they use it to buy a new tuba or a new couch for McRobbie's office.

But, if I put down several million to buy a basketball coach, I expect that the school will buy the basketball coach. A tuba would have been a better investment than Dinardo.

Reactions: coachv jr

I am just saying that the folks who are looking at University of Louisville budgetary documents aren’t looking at the right money. Donors will pay to make this happen. The money is not in U of L accounts ... yet

Who is the "big, big money in Louisville"? All I've read about is donors pulling because of the Jurich situation, and the Papa John's scandal.

Who is this wealth? Who are these donors, and what is their business? When I think of Louisville, I think of fastfood/pizza, the Brown family, and maybe an old school sporting goods company that makes baseball bats.

Who are the other "Big Jim Jack's" down there that I don't know about.

When I think Louisville, I think old river town like Memphis...who may have some antiquated wealth, but doesn't seem known for anything else.

Is my assessment just inaccurate? Who are the money men down there, and from what industry is this apparent never-ending flow of funds coming from?

I believe Dr. Bisors (spelling?) is in the top 5 of donors by his own estimation... $8million a year in donations... only top 5. Republic Bank a Louisville Bank owned by a family still is a major contributor... so much money for UL sports here. I don’t get it but it is a fact. They never would have fired Petrino without the donations to do so pledged.... he even said it in the news conference that he would be looking to the donors also

Reactions: iulb
I am just saying that the folks who are looking at University of Louisville budgetary documents aren’t looking at the right money. Donors will pay to make this happen. The money is not in U of L accounts ... yet

^ THIS ^

Bill Stone's comments about the school's cash resources being depleted were simply his signaling to those donors they need be prepared to open up their purses/wallets if they want this to get done.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Is IU’s, and Iowa’s for that matter, football programs are so jacked up that the only chance for success is for Brohm to leave Purdue? All season y’all have been talking about this. Y’all have been hoping for this to happen for the longest. This is kind of sad but funny at the same time.

Schadenfreude

Yeah, I said it.

Schadenfreude

Yeah, I said it.
Pretty much. It is funny on a lot of different levels. One, to see PU used as a stepping stone: this doesn't happen to good programs. Two, watching PU fans get their hopes up and deny the possibility of Brohm leaving, even though any objective person could see this coming a mile away. Three, the enormous distraction this creates in PU's program. God bless Louisville for creating this distraction two weeks before the Bucket game. Finally, PU will have to hire a new coach, and the odds of PU hiring another Hazell/Akers as opposed to a competent coach are roughly 2 to 1.

Excuse me: I have some more popcorn and a PU meltdown to enjoy.

200.gif

Last edited:
In regard to the general topic of this thread, I don't mind Purdue football being distracted--if they are--by the Louisville opening. I respect what Brohm did in year one, but am unwilling to concede anything else to the Boilers. The notion that somehow Brohm should be pedestalized and Indiana can't win while he remains at Purdue are conjectures based on a sample size of one winning season and one Bucket victory at home.

In regards to your post, pathetic!

I have no problem as an IU fan admitting we’re going to be the 3rd wheel behind ND and Purdue while Brohm is there. It doesn’t help that our hire has gone a different direction than yours.

I do hope he leaves but I’m not obsessed with it. I’m more focused on IU going out and making a similar hire. Hopefully soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: iueyedoc99
Semantics

In regard to the general topic of this thread, I don't mind Purdue football being distracted--if they are--by the Louisville opening. I respect what Brohm did in year one, but am unwilling to concede anything else to the Boilers. The notion that somehow Brohm should be pedestalized and Indiana can't win while he remains at Purdue are conjectures based on a sample size of one winning season and one Bucket victory at home.

Well I understand the sentiment, I really do. However, you are placing blinders on concerning what has taken place at Purdue. This year they achieved what we only dream about in beating ranked teams including Ohio St. He has changed how they play with the same players that Hazel had on the roster. These results shouldn’t have happened for Purdue for at least 3-4 years. Their recruiting was terrible under Hazel but some how he has got them to respond. A few more years and the let downs will be gone replaced by his players.

This reminds me of the “Over-rated” chants at ball games. It only serves to hurt yourself when doing so. We should embrace what is and has happened at Purdue and use it to brow-beat IU into doing more/better. Purdue chooses to have the money for coaches and staff with a $2.4Billion endowment. IU chooses to not pay for coaches and staff with an endowment of $2.2Billion.

5-8 Million a year for a coach and staff is peanuts ..... peanuts to an organization that had ignored and took from a program for 50 years. It is owed to the fans and the University. I like CTA as our HC. Let’s surround him with a quality staff and stop the nonsense.

Purdue has shown that a team from Indiana that is not named Norte Dame can win. That is what we should be taking away from this.

Correct. He had a nice year. It wasn’t The Best Coaching Job Of All Time like it is touted here.

Looking at 2017 regular season:

IU played a tougher schedule
5 ranked teams vs 3
3 Top 5 teams versus 0
IUs D-I opponents won 60% of their games - Purdue’s won 54% (even if you count the bowl game)

We played 4 common opponents
We played Michigan better
They played Wisconsin better
We played Rutgers a lot better
We both played Illinois about the same

They beat us by 1 score head to head

They improved on defense a lot more than offense
The idea that Brohm pulled off a Midas-touch season is overrated

Good coach.
But not the greatest since sliced football.

Is IU’s, and Iowa’s for that matter, football programs are so jacked up that the only chance for success is for Brohm to leave Purdue? All season y’all have been talking about this. Y’all have been hoping for this to happen for the longest. This is kind of sad but funny at the same time.

I don't think he's as big of a threat as everyone else does. They have as many awful losses as great wins.

He's fine. But people get carried away, IMHO. 13-12 or whatever in a craptastic division shouldn't blow anyone away.

Reactions: 76-1
Correct. He had a nice year. It wasn’t The Best Coaching Job Of All Time like it is touted here.

5 ranked teams vs 3
3 Top 5 teams versus 0
IUs D-I opponents won 60% of their games - Purdue’s won 54% (even if you count the bowl game)

Good coach.

Also, I'd argue that Brohm's most impactful and/or most impressive wins (Missouri, Iowa, IU last year, and BC, OSU this year) are more a result of the opponent laying a massive egg than a solid performance by Purdue. The OSU game in particular, which is probably only behind the 2016 CFB game against Clemson as the worst OSU performance in the last few decades.

Brohm deserves credit for taking advantage of those opportunities, which is to say he is a good coach, but people are going overboard on how good he is

Well I understand the sentiment, I really do. However, you are placing blinders on concerning what has taken place at Purdue. This year they achieved what we only dream about in beating ranked teams including Ohio St. He has changed how they play with the same players that Hazel had on the roster. These results shouldn’t have happened for Purdue for at least 3-4 years. Their recruiting was terrible under Hazel but some how he has got them to respond. A few more years and the let downs will be gone replaced by his players.

This reminds me of the “Over-rated” chants at ball games. It only serves to hurt yourself when doing so. We should embrace what is and has happened at Purdue and use it to brow-beat IU into doing more/better. Purdue chooses to have the money for coaches and staff with a $2.4Billion endowment. IU chooses to not pay for coaches and staff with an endowment of $2.2Billion.

5-8 Million a year for a coach and staff is peanuts ..... peanuts to an organization that had ignored and took from a program for 50 years. It is owed to the fans and the University. I like CTA as our HC. Let’s surround him with a quality staff and stop the nonsense.

Purdue has shown that a team from Indiana that is not named Norte Dame can win. That is what we should be taking away from this.
I'm not blind to the improvement Brohm has brought to Purdue but you contradict yourself in the post. How is it that recruiting was terrible under Hazell yet Brohm is winning with Hazell's players ?

Also, a little context is needed. First, David Blough has always been a gifted quarterback. The biggest difference is that under Hazell he was a freshman and sophomore who routinely made terrible decisions that killed the Boilers. Under Brohm, he is an experienced senior who has eliminated the vast majority of those mistakes and is playing up to his potential (although he had a bone-headed pick against Iowa that led to a late TD that damn near got them beat). He was awful against Minny but so was every single player on the roster.

The same with DJ Knox. He had a very good year as a freshman then didn't play at all in Hazell's last year. Brohm has benefitted enormously from his return the past two years. I think it's fair to say that those two guys are better than anybody Tom Allen inherited at those positions and would both be starting for IU. If those two guys were playing in the Bucket game for IU last year, we win that game (even in W. Laffy) by 3 scores.

Throw in Rondale Moore who may be the most talented offensive player in the league even as a true freshman. Moore is there strictly because of his personal ties to Brohm. He isn't somebody whom Brohm plucked from nowhere or had to work to recruit and he isn't somebody who needed to be coached up. Give those three guys to Tom Allen and I'm comfortable in saying we would have two more wins this season.

Brohm has proven to be a dynamic coach and he's had some huge wins. But he hasn't done it without talent. And the Boilers have dropped games the last two year that are as inexcusable as any of IU's losses (and a couple that are more so). At this juncture the Boilers are exactly where the Hoosiers are record-wise. Just like IU, PUke is going to be somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5. If it's the latter, that's decent but not earth-shattering. If IU had beaten Iowa and OSU I'm guessing most people here would be pretty disappointed with Tom Allen if he finished with only 6 or 7 wins.

5 ranked teams vs 3
3 Top 5 teams versus 0

Good coach.

I think you did some real cherry-picking in your analysis of Purdue's 2017 season and Brohm generally.

1. The IU-Purdue game sure seemed like more than a 1 score game. We got a lot of yards at the end of the game but Purdue was in control almost the entire game. Imo, we were less motivated and out-schemed.
2. "They played Wisconsin better" really understates the facts. In fact, they were in position, in a game at Wisconsin, to contest the game with 1-2 minutes to go. Wisconsin handled us pretty easily at home.
3. You don't mention that they beat Missouri 35-3 at Missouri, or Iowa 24-15 at Iowa, or Arizona in a bowl game. Or played an 8-5 UL team with Lamar Jackson to a 1 TD loss the first game of the season. They also played a 10 win NW pretty tough at NW (13-23), and beat MN & Ohio soundly.
4. You don't mention that Purdue has beaten 3 ranked teams in 2018.
5. You say we played 3 top 5 teams, Purdue 0. One of those teams was Wisconsin, who was #4 when we played them, #7 when they played Purdue. Really? The other 2 were OSU & PSU, who we lost to by 28 & 31 points, respectfully.
6. In addition to beating us at B-Ton, Purdue finished 2017 stronger than us. Imo, we had 4 crap games/5 at the end of the season (at MD; Wis; at ILL; Purdue), whereas they had 5 solid games (29-10 at ILL; at NW; at Iowa; at IU; Arizona). Regarding Illinois, they won by 19. We won by 10, in a game that was closer than that with a few minutes left.

I will grant you they had bad losses to Nebraska at home (24-25) and at Rutgers. Regarding RU, they played them on 10/21 at RU, we played them 11/18 at IU. I think RU had quit by 11/18.

So........Brohm may not be the best coach around, but he's been very impressive. I hope he is gone soon. If not, I hope he doesn't declare his undying love for PU just prior to the Bucket game.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANC
I'm not blind to the improvement Brohm has brought to Purdue but you contradict yourself in the post. How is it that recruiting was terrible under Hazell yet Brohm is winning with Hazell's players ?

Also, a little context is needed. First, David Blough has always been a gifted quarterback. The biggest difference is that under Hazell he was a freshman and sophomore who routinely made terrible decisions that killed the Boilers. Under Brohm, he is an experienced senior who has eliminated the vast majority of those mistakes and is playing up to his potential (although he had a bone-headed pick against Iowa that led to a late TD that damn near got them beat). He was awful against Minny but so was every single player on the roster.

The same with DJ Knox. He had a very good year as a freshman then didn't play at all in Hazell's last year. Brohm has benefitted enormously from his return the past two years. I think it's fair to say that those two guys are better than anybody Tom Allen inherited at those positions and would both be starting for IU. If those two guys were playing in the Bucket game for IU last year, we win that game (even in W. Laffy) by 3 scores.

Throw in Rondale Moore who may be the most talented offensive player in the league even as a true freshman. Moore is there strictly because of his personal ties to Brohm. He isn't somebody whom Brohm plucked from nowhere or had to work to recruit and he isn't somebody who needed to be coached up. Give those three guys to Tom Allen and I'm comfortable in saying we would have two more wins this season.

Brohm has proven to be a dynamic coach and he's had some huge wins. But he hasn't done it without talent. And the Boilers have dropped games the last two year that are as inexcusable as any of IU's losses (and a couple that are more so). At this juncture the Boilers are exactly where the Hoosiers are record-wise. Just like IU, PUke is going to be somewhere between 5-7 and 7-5. If it's the latter, that's decent but not earth-shattering. If IU had beaten Iowa and OSU I'm guessing most people here would be pretty disappointed with Tom Allen if he finished with only 6 or 7 wins.

I agree that Hazell had recruited some guys with real underrated talent that has shown up in '17 & '18. Plus Blough got Moore out of Louisville. Blough is better than PR, Knox is better than Stevie (no knock on Scott), Moore is better than anyone we have, although we have darn good WRs, and they have had play makers on the DL & at LB. Their 'star power' is what really scares me about the Bucket game. Remember Alstott and Rod Woodson? I think Otis Armstrong went off on us as well. We need to keep Moore from dominating. which means determined tackling. I hope that they lose to Wisky and come to Bloomington distracted

When thinking about Brohm, people need to step back and really look at some of their losses. He has lost to the worst team on the schedule both years (EMU this year and rutger last year).

Also, you have to go back to the 2009 UVA game to find an IU performance against a mediocre opponent as bad as Purdue against Minny. And IU only played that bad because half the team had the flu.

I think you did some real cherry-picking in your analysis of Purdue's 2017 season and Brohm generally.

1. The IU-Purdue game sure seemed like more than a 1 score game. We got a lot of yards at the end of the game but Purdue was in control almost the entire game. Imo, we were less motivated and out-schemed.
2. "They played Wisconsin better" really understates the facts. In fact, they were in position, in a game at Wisconsin, to contest the game with 1-2 minutes to go. Wisconsin handled us pretty easily at home.
3. You don't mention that they beat Missouri 35-3 at Missouri, or Iowa 24-15 at Iowa, or Arizona in a bowl game. Or played an 8-5 UL team with Lamar Jackson to a 1 TD loss the first game of the season. They also played a 10 win NW pretty tough at NW (13-23), and beat MN & Ohio soundly.
5. You say we played 3 top 5 teams, Purdue 0. One of those teams was Wisconsin, who was #4 when we played them, #7 when they played Purdue. Really? The other 2 were OSU & PSU, who we lost to by 28 & 31 points, respectfully.
6. In addition to beating us at B-Ton, Purdue finished 2017 stronger than us. Imo, we had 4 crap games/5 at the end of the season (at MD; Wis; at ILL; Purdue), whereas they had 5 solid games (29-10 at ILL; at NW; at Iowa; at IU; Arizona). Regarding Illinois, they won by 19. We won by 10, in a game that was closer than that with a few minutes left.

I will grant you they had bad losses to Nebraska at home (24-25) and at Rutgers. Regarding RU, they played them on 10/21 at RU, we played them 11/18 at IU. I think RU had quit by 11/18.

So........Brohm may not be the best coaches around, but he's been very impressive. I hope he is gone soon. If not, I hope he doesn't declare his undying love for PU just prior to the Bucket game.
Just for clarification, the Bucket game last year was at Purdue. They did not beat us in Bloomington. I would also add that our game with Illinois wasn't as close as the final score (if we're playing the perception card as defining a "crap game") If the argument is made that our game with Purdue was never really in doubt for the Boilers, then anyone who watched our game at Illinois would reasonably make the same judgment.

Whether folks here want to admit it or not, we were absolutely beat to hell at the end of the season last year. We had an inordinate amount of major injuries to key players and our starters who were healthy had simply played too many snaps. By the Bucket game, guys like Scales and Covington were about 70% at best. We were out of gas. For a team that had precious little depth to begin with, the season-ending injuries and the brutal stretch of games to open the season (including having our bye in week two) just devastated us.

You talk about being out-motivated and out-schemed by PUke in the Bucket game but I don't think I have ever seen a team look less ready to play and less prepared than Purdue looked last week. If that knock is valid on Tom Allen, it's valid on Jeff Brohm.

Retraction: Ohio State looked less motivated and less prepared in their game at Purdue. Purdue's turd at Minny is a distant second. We could play the what-if game all day, but I don't think any team in the B1G, including us, would have lost to the OSU team that showed up in W. Lafayette last month.

If it is all about superior coaching, how do you explain mixing victories over Iowa and Ohio State with losses to Eastern Michigan and Rutgers and getting the shit kicked out of you without a whimper at Minnesota.

So........Brohm may not be the best coaches around, but he's been very impressive. I hope he is gone soon. If not, I hope he doesn't declare his undying love for PU just prior to the Bucket game.
He is very impressive and yet he has 2 more wins than CTA.

Some yes - some no

I was addressing the 2017 season because it was being touted as the Greatest Turnaround Season Ever Anywhere.

1. Purdue.
I can sorta agree that Purdue "controlled" the Bucket Game last year. Sorta. But ... we stopped their first drive, then threw a pick on our first play from scrimmage which they returned to our 5. They score in 1 rush. Wind outta sails.

We then throw on 1st down - most folks favorite play - my most unfavorite. 2nd and 10. 3 and out.

We force a punt.
They force a punt.

FUMBLE - we get MO back.
We SCORE.

We force a punt.

Seems like we have overcome a horrible start.

They force a punt.
We force a punt.
We go 3 and out.
We force another punt.

Looks like both teams grinding.

WE go 3 and out again.
(Here is where we needed Ramsey - Lagow has gone into ineffective mode and the game is in the balance. Alas. Ramsey is hurt.)

Now they work us for a 7 play score.

And we respond ... with another 3 and out.
(Notice how the defense of Purdue - not the Brohmbardi offense - is our nemesis?)

Now, with our defense tuckerd from 3 straight 3 and outs, we give up a 49 yard TD pass.
21-7
2:00 minutes to go in first half and we are suddenly NOT in control and have given MO back.

We get a FG.

Halftime 21-10.
Except for 1 bad play at the start and the 49 yard TD - it was a dogfight.

Second half - illegal block and 2 incompetes and we punt.
They punt.

2 incompletes.
3rd and 10.
We get 6.
Punt.

Force a FG - 24-10

2 incompletions
We punt.

Now its the 4th quarter and its OUR incompletions - not Brohm - that is the difference.

They work us and score. 31-10.
Time to get serious or lose.

We get to the 8.
4 straight incompletions.
(I'll kill any man who insults the run game.)

They punt at 7:37 but we need 3 TD's.

We get 1.
We get the onside kick.
We now have to pass.
Incomplete.
Sack.
10 from Simmie.
4th and 6 and we get 4.

Force a punt but its over.
We get a TD 1:01 to make it close.

2. They got close to Wisconsin. We got close to Michigan and Michigan State. 6 of one. Half dozen of others.

3. I didn't discuss Mizzou or Iowa directly - I did note they played a slightly easier schedule and even did not include our D-IAA games because they weren't D-I.

4. I was discussing 2017 because ...

5. We played a No. 2, two No. 4's, a No. 18 and a No. 17. I can't change the rankings. They were what they were.

6. Illinois was not a "solid" game for anyone. They were awful and everybody shoulda whomped em.

Otherwise, I agree ... but please note that in our last 5, we played the last 4.5 after Ramsey was hurt, and still did better than Purdue versus common opponents Illinois and Rutgers.

I have never tried to say Brohm was not or is not a good coach. I may be the only poster here that actually watched him play live in HS, watched him play live in college, watched him coach live at UofL, and watched him coach live at Western Kentucky. (Hell, one of my golf crew and a guy who's kids were on my kids sports teams played baseball with Brohm at UofL, and never lets him forget his failure to get a win at Ohio State in 1992! Ralph Dawkins (who's kid played baseball with my son) scored and Schnellenberger went to for 2 and the win. Dawkins was open - Brohm missed him.)

BUT ... I also don't ignore the facts of his foibles, or Allen's strengths, or Allens foibles, because I "really" just wanna bitch about Fred Glass and claim $100,000,000 is not evidence of an IU investment in football "because 1960 - 2006" - which is what most pro-Brohmers do here.

Brohm did a great job in 2017.
He went 6-6 and beat a decent -not great - Arizona in a bowl.

Allen came in and got to play No. 2 Ohio State as his first ever game.
He had to replace his whole offensive staff.
Brohm bascially brought his with him.

First play - he lost his best receiver.
5 of his first 7 were against Top 20 teams.

Michigan, Michigan State and Maryland coulda all 3 gone the other way.

I don't mind folks praising Brohm
But crapping on Allen and saying 2017 proves he was the wrong guy is intentional tunnel vision.

So I defend against that.

The closer look usually always tell the tale.

It may have seemed like a bigger spread in yet it was a one score spread. So the Rutgers score in our favor did not seem like a one score game either.

You kind of do the same thing. We were tight with Wisconsin and OSU through 3 quarters until they got away from us late, plus we did take Michigan to OT. We closed in on Purdue and had the ball with a chance to tie. You seem to minimize us putting on a late push in a game while crediting Wisconsin and OSU for doing the same thing.
Missouri was a dumpster fire when Purdue beat them last year and any Missouri fan will tell you that.
Sure, Purdue has beaten three ranked teams but they're still 5-5 and lost to some really bad teams.

Brohm has caught some lightning in a bottle at the right times and improved their recruiting but he's had some horrific clunkers and gets to play in the most mediocre division in Power 5 football. They are certainly better than everyone expected them to be but they aren't world beaters and I don't think they are a better team than us right now. That said, I hope he leaves for Louisville and takes half the recruiting class with him.

You kind of do the same thing. We were tight with Wisconsin and OSU through 3 quarters until they got away from us late, plus we did take Michigan to OT. We closed in on Purdue and had the ball with a chance to tie. You seem to minimize us putting on a late push in a game while crediting Wisconsin and OSU for doing the same thing.
Missouri was a dumpster fire when Purdue beat them last year and any Missouri fan will tell you that.
Sure, Purdue has beaten three ranked teams but they're still 5-5 and lost to some really bad teams.

Brohm has caught some lightning in a bottle at the right times and improved their recruiting but he's had some horrific clunkers and gets to play in the most mediocre division in Power 5 football. They are certainly better than everyone expected them to be but they aren't world beaters and I don't think they are a better team than us right now. That said, I hope he leaves for Louisville and takes half the recruiting class with him.

To be fair, mushroommoron has been a known and outed CTA hater for quite awhile. No surprise he's all over Brohm's nuts.

Some yes - some no

I was addressing the 2017 season because it was being touted as the Greatest Turnaround Season Ever Anywhere.

1. Purdue.
I can sorta agree that Purdue "controlled" the Bucket Game last year. Sorta. But ... we stopped their first drive, then threw a pick on our first play from scrimmage which they returned to our 5. They score in 1 rush. Wind outta sails.

We then throw on 1st down - most folks favorite play - my most unfavorite. 2nd and 10. 3 and out.

We force a punt.
They force a punt.

FUMBLE - we get MO back.
We SCORE.

We force a punt.

They force a punt.
We force a punt.
We go 3 and out.
We force another punt.

WE go 3 and out again.
(Here is where we needed Ramsey - Lagow has gone into ineffective mode and the game is in the balance. Alas. Ramsey is hurt.)

(Notice how the defense of Purdue - not the Brohmbardi offense - is our nemesis?)

Now, with our defense tuckerd from 3 straight 3 and outs, we give up a 49 yard TD pass.
21-7
2:00 minutes to go in first half and we are suddenly NOT in control and have given MO back.

We get a FG.

Halftime 21-10.

They punt.

2 incompletes.
3rd and 10.
We get 6.
Punt.

Force a FG - 24-10

2 incompletions
We punt.

Now its the 4th quarter and its OUR incompletions - not Brohm - that is the difference.

We get to the 8.

We get 1.
We get the onside kick.
We now have to pass.
Incomplete.
Sack.
10 from Simmie.
4th and 6 and we get 4.

2. They got close to Wisconsin. We got close to Michigan and Michigan State. 6 of one. Half dozen of others.

3. I didn't discuss Mizzou or Iowa directly - I did note they played a slightly easier schedule and even did not include our D-IAA games because they weren't D-I.

5. We played a No. 2, two No. 4's, a No. 18 and a No. 17. I can't change the rankings. They were what they were.

6. Illinois was not a "solid" game for anyone. They were awful and everybody shoulda whomped em.

Otherwise, I agree ... but please note that in our last 5, we played the last 4.5 after Ramsey was hurt, and still did better than Purdue versus common opponents Illinois and Rutgers.

I have never tried to say Brohm was not or is not a good coach. I may be the only poster here that actually watched him play live in HS, watched him play live in college, watched him coach live at UofL, and watched him coach live at Western Kentucky. (Hell, one of my golf crew and a guy who's kids were on my kids sports teams played baseball with Brohm at UofL, and never lets him forget his failure to get a win at Ohio State in 1992! Ralph Dawkins (who's kid played baseball with my son) scored and Schnellenberger went to for 2 and the win. Dawkins was open - Brohm missed him.)

BUT ... I also don't ignore the facts of his foibles, or Allen's strengths, or Allens foibles, because I "really" just wanna bitch about Fred Glass and claim $100,000,000 is not evidence of an IU investment in football "because 1960 - 2006" - which is what most pro-Brohmers do here.

But crapping on Allen and saying 2017 proves he was the wrong guy is intentional tunnel vision.

Good stuff.

I'm not a Allen hater, but I have been a skeptic.

In hindsight, I think he made a mistake in over-hyping the '17 OSU game. I think that was a mistake based on inexperience.

I'm encouraged by recent statements he's made esp. the comment about wanting to throw the ball further downfield. Also, the team showed some fight in the MD game, including stopping the 2 pt conversion.

He is very impressive and yet he has 2 more wins than CTA.

Yes, but we were projected as a possible breakthrough team in '17, PU was thought to be a bottom feeder.

The guy was also 30-10 at WKU, 19-5 in conference. It's silly to argue that he's not a really good coach.

Just for clarification, the Bucket game last year was at Purdue. They did not beat us in Bloomington. I would also add that our game with Illinois wasn't as close as the final score (if we're playing the perception card as defining a "crap game") If the argument is made that our game with Purdue was never really in doubt for the Boilers, then anyone who watched our game at Illinois would reasonably make the same judgment.

Whether folks here want to admit it or not, we were absolutely beat to hell at the end of the season last year. We had an inordinate amount of major injuries to key players and our starters who were healthy had simply played too many snaps. By the Bucket game, guys like Scales and Covington were about 70% at best. We were out of gas. For a team that had precious little depth to begin with, the season-ending injuries and the brutal stretch of games to open the season (including having our bye in week two) just devastated us.

You talk about being out-motivated and out-schemed by PUke in the Bucket game but I don't think I have ever seen a team look less ready to play and less prepared than Purdue looked last week. If that knock is valid on Tom Allen, it's valid on Jeff Brohm.

Retraction: Ohio State looked less motivated and less prepared in their game at Purdue. Purdue's turd at Minny is a distant second. We could play the what-if game all day, but I don't think any team in the B1G, including us, would have lost to the OSU team that showed up in W. Lafayette last month.

If it is all about superior coaching, how do you explain mixing victories over Iowa and Ohio State with losses to Eastern Michigan and Rutgers and getting the shit kicked out of you without a whimper at Minnesota.
I will forever remember the 2017 Bucket game for the comment our freshman (Mack?) made in an interview that he didn't realize the rivalry intensity until he saw seniors crying in the locker room after the game.

That is on the team leaders and the returning players to tell the young players about the rivalry. A bowl game was on the line. That was reason enough to win.

I hope the team hasn't forgotten their performance and our own comments made after the game. We are good enough to beat Purdue, but we will need to want to win.

Pretty much. It is funny on a lot of different levels. One, to see PU used as a stepping stone: this doesn't happen to good programs. Two, watching PU fans get their hopes up and deny the possibility of Brohm leaving, even though any objective person could see this coming a mile away. Three, the enormous distraction this creates in PU's program. God bless Louisville for creating this distraction two weeks before the Bucket game. Finally, PU will have to hire a new coach, and the odds of PU hiring another Hazell/Akers as opposed to a competent coach are roughly 2 to 1.

Excuse me: I have some more popcorn and a PU meltdown to enjoy.

200.gif
if allen ever ets iu to 9 or 10 wins, he will be just as gone. sadly, we are also a stepping stone job. just that no coach has been able to prove it

Last edited:
if allen ever ets iu to 9 or 10 wins, he will be just as gone. sadly, we are also a stepping stone job too. just that no coach has been able to prove it

Mallory stayed here. Fitz stayed at NW, Ferentz at Iowa. Why would Allen necessarily go?

I will forever remember the 2017 Bucket game for the comment our freshman (Mack?) made in an interview that he didn't realize the rivalry intensity until he saw seniors crying in the locker room after the game.

That is on the team leaders and the returning players to tell the young players about the rivalry. A bowl game was on the line. That was reason enough to win.

I hope the team hasn't forgotten their performance and our own comments made after the game. We are good enough to beat Purdue, but we will need to want to win.

Attitude is huge in that game.

if allen ever ets iu to 9 or 10 wins, he will be just as gone. sadly, we are also a stepping stone job too. just that no coach has been able to prove it
Allen is from Indiana and I think wants to be in Indiana like Hep. But, it is always possible. IU baseball has experience being the stepping stone, but IU baseball has won and made good subsequent hires. IU needs a Mallory, Fitzgerald, Tiller, Alvarez type coach that wins and wants to be here.

Attitude is everything. Nobody wants to deal with a cornered animal that will either kick your ass or die trying, whether it is big or small.

He should leave if he reaches that level and is still the lowest paid coach in the league.

I would expect we would pay him what he deserves and he would stay and reap the rewards of his work.

I agree that Hazell had recruited some guys with real underrated talent that has shown up in '17 & '18. Plus Blough got Moore out of Louisville. Blough is better than PR, Knox is better than Stevie (no knock on Scott), Moore is better than anyone we have, although we have darn good WRs, and they have had play makers on the DL & at LB. Their 'star power' is what really scares me about the Bucket game. Remember Alstott and Rod Woodson? I think Otis Armstrong went off on us as well. We need to keep Moore from dominating. which means determined tackling. I hope that they lose to Wisky and come to Bloomington distracted
maybe taylor could be as good as moore? time for allen to find out and stop saving him

Some yes - some no

1. Purdue.

We force a punt.
They force a punt.

FUMBLE - we get MO back.
We SCORE.

We force a punt.

They force a punt.
We force a punt.
We go 3 and out.
We force another punt.

WE go 3 and out again.

21-7

We get a FG.

Halftime 21-10.

They punt.

2 incompletes.
3rd and 10.
We get 6.
Punt.

Force a FG - 24-10

2 incompletions
We punt.

We get to the 8.

We get 1.
We get the onside kick.
We now have to pass.
Incomplete.
Sack.
10 from Simmie.
4th and 6 and we get 4.

dang, are you replaying the entire game for a forum post? that "usually always" means too much time on one's hands

Good stuff.

I'm not a Allen hater, but I have been a skeptic.

In hindsight, I think he made a mistake in over-hyping the '17 OSU game. I think that was a mistake based on inexperience.

I'm encouraged by recent statements he's made esp. the comment about wanting to throw the ball further downfield. Also, the team showed some fight in the MD game, including stopping the 2 pt conversion.
didn't show any fight against their running attack

Here’s the facts:

From 2014 through 2018, IU’s Rivals recruiting rankings have been 38, 48, 54, 65 and 45. The average
For all five classes was 50th

From 2024 through 2028 Purdue’s Rivals recruiting rankings have been 71, 68, 73, 68 and 49. The average
For all five classes was 66th.

Not once in five years have IU’s class been ranked lower than Purdue. This year Purdue has redshirted 20 of its 24 freshmen. Effectively speaking, with the exception of one player this year’s team consists of players ranked at the bottom of Big Ten football recruiting. I don’t know what the Hoosier’s freshmen participation level has been from 2018 except from anecdotal reports on this and other forums. Purdue will graduate 24 seniors and sixteen of them are listed in the two deeps which includes three specialists. There is little evidence of many top flight 3-4 star recruits who have played this year for Purdue. Last year there were several quality defensive recruits from Hazell’s first class. Last year there were two graduate transfers/JC’s
On the offensive line and one quality graduate transfer LBer. This year there have been two quality JC
Transfers at WR and one graduate transfer at OL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT