ADVERTISEMENT

Brohm press conference.....

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
I just watched a reporter ask him about addressing the Louisville job and it was obvious he is gonzo. Someone here please link that video!!

Their world is in freefall...beat their brains out, IU!!! I want the damn Bucket back and I want their verbals in the four winds!

No way he leaves...i mean a kid from Lville just verbaled to PU. If Brohm goes, you mean that kid has to get out of a 100% non-binding verbal agreement and possibly play in front of his family. Really?? that kid probably has a good idea where PU geographically is too

No way he leaves...i mean a kid from Lville just verbaled to PU. If Brohm goes, you mean that kid has to get out of a 100% non-binding verbal agreement and possibly play in front of his family. Really?? that kid probably has a good idea where PU geographically is too
Right now it is a verbal which is not binding agreement and football recruits always de commit so I wouldn't get excited until they sign the LOI

Right now it is a verbal which is not binding agreement and football recruits always de commit so I wouldn't get excited until they sign the LOI

Oh Scott. Reading is fundamental. You're so unintentionally funny! :D:D:D

The Boiler fan that I talk to on a regular basis knew weeks ago that Brohm was gone if the job opened this year.

It is interesting Purdue fell apart at the same time this happened. Are the players feeling or hearing something is happening?

I smell coachspeak
giphy.gif

I see coachspeak
13222297657813.gif

I hear coachspeak
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Thoughts on what recruits he would take with him?

If Brohm lands at Louisville, you pretty much guarantee that Wright goes with him.
Wouldn’t be shocked to see Bell go too. That kid is signing on to play in a system, not a school. He could probably give 2 shits about either Purdue or IU as “schools.” He just wants to play in an offense that throws a bunch of passes. So, he probably follows the coach and the scheme.
Karlaftis probably stays. It’s his hometown school.
I could see Moore even transferring back home if he’s willing to sit a year. That could be a long shot though.
Sheffield ends up at Tennessee possibly.

Reactions: td75
The Boiler fan that I talk to on a regular basis knew weeks ago that Brohm was gone if the job opened this year.

It is interesting Purdue fell apart at the same time this happened. Are the players feeling or hearing something is happening?
I absolutely think this affected them last week, they MUST have suspected something. That was by far their worst performance of the year, even worse than the early games they lost. Their loss is most certainly our gain. If they play that way, we will beat them in 2 weeks.

I absolutely think this affected them last week, they MUST have suspected something. That was by far their worst performance of the year, even worse than the early games they lost. Their loss is most certainly our gain. If they play that way, we will beat them in 2 weeks.

How would it have affected them last week? According to the AD, he had no intention of firing Petrino until at least the end of the season before Saturday. It wasn't announced before Sunday. The weather was bad and the opponent was not highly regarded. Minny played a pretty much flawless game at home and Purdue didn't show up. The same thing happened at WL when OSU came in. It happens.

That answer was not comforting to any Purdue fan. Brohm has zero long term aspirations to stay in West Lafayette. He played at Louisville and has family there. He knows high school football in Ky. It's his home? They will pay him big bucks. It's his dream job. Louisville will make it happen I would bet huge money. For some reason they have unlimited resources to pay people.

I don't know when the news broke, but some of these players are still kids and not professional athletes that have seen coaching changes as part of a business.

Brohm's answer to leaving likely didn't help much.

How would it have affected them last week? According to the AD, he had no intention of firing Petrino until at least the end of the season before Saturday. It wasn't announced before Sunday. The weather was bad and the opponent was not highly regarded. Minny played a pretty much flawless game at home and Purdue didn't show up. The same thing happened at WL when OSU came in. It happens.

While all that may be true, he has millions of reasons to be non-committal right now. The only thing is if he is committed to staying, being mum is not good for team moral.

Louisville has some mega donors. There's a lot of money down there and they don't have a pro sports franchise, so U of L is that by default. Anybody ever been to the Derby? There's a buttload of $$$ down there that can be utilized when needed. I expect a donor or two will step up and make this happen and it won't be a big deal.

That's why I said they must have known something, & I say that because I don't believe it was coincidence that they played THAT poorly right before Petrino's firing, Yeah it happens that teams lay eggs while others play their best game, but I suspect they knew something.

Last edited:

The AD's comments probably need to be taken with a grain of salt. I think the bigger issue was impending transfers, which there were reports that 20+ players requested the paperwork last week. Had the AD confirmed there were a lot of potential transfers, that would scare off a lot of coaches (Brohm or other), so he made some comment about game performance instead.

Plus, after a quick look at rosters, I found 7 Purdue players that went to HS with Louisville players, plus several others that are from the same hometown (but different high schools). I'm guessing that if there were any rumors swirling around Louisville about Petrino and by extension Brohm, it would have found its way up to WL.

The AD is expected to say that up until the moment they fire the coach.

The players talk and there are likely friends on UL and Purdue. I believe Moore and others are from Kentucky and have been hearing all season that the firing was inevitable. It could have been a text to any player last week that something was about to happen.

One thing is for sure, the players and staff know now.

The AD is expected to say that up until the moment they fire the coach.

The players talk and there are likely friends on UL and Purdue. I believe Moore and others are from Kentucky and have been hearing all season that the firing was inevitable. It could have been a text to any player last week that something was about to happen.

One thing is for sure, the players and staff know now.

Yep, very plausible that Purdue players knew something last week, though unclear if it would have been openly addressed between players/coaches He most certainly will need to address it this week. And if his behind closed doors talk is anything like the press conference, its going to be a huge distraction. I don't think he can get away with "We just need to focus on football and Wisconsin this week"

There is big, big money in Louisville. The reason the AD made the move now is because he can, he has the money in place to do anything he wants. Really. He can. Louisville is 2nd only to Florida State in the ACC in revenue. Think about that for a moment. Ahead of Clemson.

And, there are some deeeep pockets in Louisville from donors with the clout to do just about anything they want to.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
i'll bet you a dollar he leaves. not an ounce of denial in his answer. in fact, he says "right now i have a..."

There is big, big money in Louisville. The reason the AD made the move now is because he can, he has the money in place to do anything he wants. Really. He can. Louisville is 2nd only to Florida State in the ACC in revenue. Think about that for a moment. Ahead of Clemson.

And, there are some deeeep pockets in Louisville from donors with the clout to do just about anything they want to.

Louisville is a place where an athletic department budget is meaningless. People are looking at the reported budgets and seeing that Louisville is just breaking even or losing money and then asking "where will the money come from." In reality, Louisville just hasn't cashed its blank checks yet.

If Louisville wants to pay Brohm $8M a year, their revenue will increase by $8M instantaneously

i'll bet you a dollar he leaves. not an ounce of denial in his answer. in fact, he says "right now i have a..."

Oh man! Is this IU Scott's brother? You got another one El Drado! Reading comprehension is fundamental! :D:D:D

First Athletic Dept. to come up with 7.5 mil + & double his current staff salary money wins. (IMO)

pu can't afford to lose this bidding war. Their current HC is taking two thirds of their recruiting class with him to Lou when he goes..., count on it. (Not to mention several transfers...)

The UofL funds have been ravaged by over-spending. The deep pockets (like John Schnatter) from the past won't likely pony up right now. So I don't see this as a done deal. Let's just consider that Brohm isn't going anywhere for a long time, and that we can beat the breaks off that hot rod.

The UofL funds have been ravaged by over-spending. The deep pockets (like John Schnatter) from the past won't likely pony up right now. So I don't see this as a done deal. Let's just consider that Brohm isn't going anywhere for a long time, and that we can beat the breaks off that hot rod.

People over-estimate Schnatter/Papa John's contributions to Louisville's athletic department. The stadium naming rights were only worth 300k a year, and Schnatter's additional annual donations were in the 70k range. He did make recently make a one-time pledge for their stadium expansion, but that was only 400k in what is $60M project. There's still plenty of money out there without Papa John's

People over-estimate Schnatter/Papa John's contributions to Louisville's athletic department. The stadium naming rights were only worth 300k a year, and Schnatter's additional annual donations were in the 70k range. He did make recently make a one-time pledge for their stadium expansion, but that was only 400k in what is $60M project. There's still plenty of money out there without Papa John's

Exactly. If you think that POS papa john is one of the major donors for U of L then you have no clue. Not trying to be mean, but he's more of a personality than someone with real clout behind the scenes down there. The guys writing the checks for this are NOT on TV selling terrible tasting pizza.

Karlaftis probably stays. It’s his hometown school.

Michigan has continued to recruit him. They accept if Brohm stays in WL, Karlaftis is a Boiler. If Brohm leaves, the is a broad consensus in recruiting circles that he goes to Ann Arbor. I’d need to check to see if Karlaftis is considered a likely early enrollee, or one who wants to sign in December rather than February. If either is true, Purdue runs out of time for a new coach to make an immediate convincing case.

EDIT; 1804 ET...Yes, Karlaftis plans to finish high school before the end of the year and enroll in January. I do not know if he has applied to any school other than Purdue to accomplish this goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: eddy4iu and 76-1
Who is the "big, big money in Louisville"? All I've read about is donors pulling because of the Jurich situation, and the Papa John's scandal.

Who is this wealth? Who are these donors, and what is their business? When I think of Louisville, I think of fastfood/pizza, the Brown family, and maybe an old school sporting goods company that makes baseball bats.

Who are the other "Big Jim Jack's" down there that I don't know about.

When I think Louisville, I think old river town like Memphis...who may have some antiquated wealth, but doesn't seem known for anything else.

Is my assessment just inaccurate? Who are the money men down there, and from what industry is this apparent never-ending flow of funds coming from?

Yep, very plausible that Purdue players knew something last week, though unclear if it would have been openly addressed between players/coaches He most certainly will need to address it this week. And if his behind closed doors talk is anything like the press conference, its going to be a huge distraction. I don't think he can get away with "We just need to focus on football and Wisconsin this week"
He either wants to move back home and coach for his old school, or he wants to create something on his own.

Many seem to think he wants to coach at UL. I'm not sure it is a better place to be right now.

Who is the "big, big money in Louisville"? All I've read about is donors pulling because of the Jurich situation, and the Papa John's scandal.

Who is this wealth? Who are these donors, and what is their business? When I think of Louisville, I think of fastfood/pizza, the Brown family, and maybe an old school sporting goods company that makes baseball bats.

Who are the other "Big Jim Jack's" down there that I don't know about.

When I think Louisville, I think old river town like Memphis...who may have some antiquated wealth, but doesn't seem known for anything else.

Is my assessment just inaccurate? Who are the money men down there, and from what industry is this apparent never-ending flow of funds coming from?

Don't think billionaires - they are smart (generally) with their money and reinvest in themselves to grow their wealth and businesses that exist on national/international level, and they typically don't throw large amounts around to college sports (Pickens and Phil Knight be some exceptions)

Think multi-millionaires that accrue wealth through a network of local/regional resale businesses (car dealerships, furniture stores, gas stations, liquor stores). Unless they directly buy out competitors, there is not much room for expansion, and they aren't trying to create new products, and thus they no real incentive to reinvest extensively in their business. These are the people that tend to give lots of money to college sports, and Louisville has a ton of them, and they try to show each other up with the amount of money they can throw around.

http://kycir.org/2017/05/18/theres-more-to-the-papa-john-schnatter-u-of-l-story/

Exactly. If you think that POS papa john is one of the major donors for U of L then you have no clue. Not trying to be mean, but he's more of a personality than someone with real clout behind the scenes down there. The guys writing the checks for this are NOT on TV selling terrible tasting pizza.

John Schnatter = Papa John's. Single largest donor in UofL history.

It's not just the athletic situation down there. The ex-president pretty much plundered the foundation that all the donations flow into. Donations are way down since then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT