ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Evans

Great read! Brian was one of my favorite players/students. Had a knack for where the ball was. Thanks for posting.

Evans was a bit of a cumbersome guy on the move. But yet, he still managed to have not only a buttery jumper, but really had a bit of a glide when he got close to the hoop. And by the time he was a senior, he was a really crafty scorer around the rim and could also rebound quite well.

But man, that long ball was a sweet one. You really can't have too many great shooters. IU doesn't have that currently but hopefully as a team they knock some down from outside.

Reactions: kkott and snowling
gritty player....stepped into that Michigan game in 93 with 2 of the best 4 teams in the nation and professional level talent all over the court, and knocked down some huge shots, as a freshman. kid had nerves of steel. That entire period of 1989-1994 was fun to watch. Started a slow slid down afterwards.

Reactions: snowling and herrli
Evans was a bit of a cumbersome guy on the move. But yet, he still managed to have not only a buttery jumper, but really had a bit of a glide when he got close to the hoop. And by the time he was a senior, he was a really crafty scorer around the rim and could also rebound quite well.

But man, that long ball was a sweet one. You really can't have too many great shooters. IU doesn't have that currently but hopefully as a team they knock some down from outside.
I'm not sure we don't have some great shooters on this year's team. Fitzner, Anderson, Langford and possibly Morgan and even McRoberts could have very good shooting numbers from 3 range this year.

Reactions: ufo33
I'm not sure we don't have some great shooters on this year's team. Fitzner, Anderson, Langford and possibly Morgan and even McRoberts could have very good shooting numbers from 3 range this year.

I think we have some good shooters, remains to be seen if we have great shooters from the ranks of Evans, Alford, Edwards, Kitchel, Wittman, Rayl, etc... Hope so but those are few and far between!

PS. What an f'd up world we are living in. Googled "Great IU shooters" to make sure I didn't miss anyone and there were as many matches for active shooter on IU campus as bball matches on page 1. Put down the guns boys and pick up a bball!

Last edited:
You are pretty observant. For a guy with no qualifications.

Last edited:
I remember the year his shoulder kept popping out of place. So painful to watch.
I remember that and one time he rammed the shoulder into the backstop to pop it back in place. Gritty , another not very athletic guy that Knight got the most out of

I learned a lot about teaching defense from watching BE up close. Not super athletic, he got up under ball handlers from behind really well. His knees took away initial moves that might have otherwise left him behind. Congrats on the honor.

Reactions: herrli
Fun read. A gritty player, perfect for Knight’s system. Really knew how to use screens. Deadly jumper and tough on the boards.
Thank you Ron Felling!

anderson is bringing back old time basketball with his set shot. now all he needs is short shorts and some converse all-stars

anderson is bringing back old time basketball with his set shot. now all he needs is short shorts and some converse all-stars
Evans and Steve Eyl were always my favorite players along with AJ Guyton. Represented IU very well.

Evans and Steve Eyl were always my favorite players along with AJ Guyton. Represented IU very well.
Evans was a favorite and gave all he had , makes me wonder about if another of my favorites , Jay Edwards had stayed 4 yrs. Both great shooters

He brought rain with those jumpers.
I know this thread is about Brian Evans, tough competitor.

But some are also talking about smooth shooters and jump shot artists. I want to shout out for Scott May. NCAA Player of the Year on the greatest team of all time! And he did have decent help. heh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT