ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Wilson in transfer portal

Tegray1

Senior
Sep 18, 2015
Really bummed about this. He was definitely a depth guy but we need depth there. Does this mean Johnathan King, Shamar Jones, and Gavin McCabe were playing better than him in the spring? We are recruiting DL's from JC and transfer I know. He just graduated this weekend so this kind of sucks.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think it says there is more talent on the roster that he can't compete with. If true then the defense will be an improved defense this year. I c an't wait to see how the defense does this year with the young players and first year players.

Gets tougher to play big-boy Power 5 football every year.

The commitment these kids have to make is incredible.

And DL is one of the places where the physical work is the very very hardest.

Not surprised that a lot of kids in that 4th or 5th year don't want to be "depth" at that cost.

But ... I also think we are going to see that many of the kids in the portal right now won't find a spot.

That portal started out as a place where a few 4 and 5 star QB looked to get some more snaps,

Now its a flood.

The basketball portal is a joke. Glad he graduated and can't be upset that he wants to start somewhere else.

Gets tougher to play big-boy Power 5 football every year.

The commitment these kids have to make is incredible.

And DL is one of the places where the physical work is the very very hardest.

Not surprised that a lot of kids in that 4th or 5th year don't want to be "depth" at that cost.

But ... I also think we are going to see that many of the kids in the portal right now won't find a spot.

That portal started out as a place where a few 4 and 5 star QB looked to get some more snaps,

Now its a flood.

I think it says there is more talent on the roster that he can't compete with. If true then the defense will be an improved defense this year. I c an't wait to see how the defense does this year with the young players and first year players.

He never seemed to realize the potential. Everyone was excited because he was a 3-star big guy out of Florida who had decommitted from Virginia. He rotated in and got some quality minutes but didn’t blow up like many were expecting.

I think the guy saw the writing on the wall this year with other guys moving into starting spots around him.

I think he would do well at a smaller school in a non-power 5. He might end up back in Florida at an FIU or FAU type school.

He never seemed to realize the potential. Everyone was excited because he was a 3-star big guy out of Florida who had decommitted from Virginia. He rotated in and got some quality minutes but didn’t blow up like many were expecting.

I think the guy saw the writing on the wall this year with other guys moving into starting spots around him.

I think he would do well at a smaller school in a non-power 5. He might end up back in Florida at an FIU or FAU type school.

Kiffin!

Really bummed about this. He was definitely a depth guy but we need depth there. Does this mean Johnathan King, Shamar Jones, and Gavin McCabe were playing better than him in the spring? We are recruiting DL's from JC and transfer I know. He just graduated this weekend so this kind of sucks.
Meh,.... I don't see this as a significant loss of production, that's about all I can say about it, other than I truly wish the young man well.

You never want to lose veteran depth of a player who knows the system but this is the current landscape. I wish Brandon success wherever he goes!

Like others, I do think the talent level coming up behind him had something (or a lot) to do with this which if so is a good thing for the program.

A majority of the transfers have been people who arent seeing the field even as a rotational backup. With the increase in talent from recruiting it's not that alarming. Now Penn state with 17 transfers that sounds like an issue.

A majority of the transfers have been people who arent seeing the field even as a rotational backup. With the increase in talent from recruiting it's not that alarming. Now Penn state with 17 transfers that sounds like an issue.
Thought by all accounts the Penn St Coach Franklin is considered a good one, and he's built the program back up nicely in terms of being highly competitive again and sending some players to the NFL. Q: 17 in portal DOES sound like a heck of a lot for one season. Anyone know what might be driving this mini-mass exodus?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I wouldn't be disappointed if I were you. Addition by subtraction.

Thought by all accounts the Penn St Coach Franklin is considered a good one, and he's built the program back up nicely in terms of being highly competitive again and sending some players to the NFL. Q: 17 in portal DOES sound like a heck of a lot for one season. Anyone know what might be driving this mini-mass exodus?

This article explains it fairly well:

1. NFL
2. Family situations
3. Playing time

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ce...university/psu-football/article224955055.html

I wouldn't see why not. They wouldn't force a kid to transfer if they have a change of heart.

The student-athletes have no obligation to transfer. The compliance offices have 48 hours to enter the athlete name, which they have to do.

The downside for the athletes is that the coach doesn’t have to hold the scholarship open. I believe that most scholarships are annually renewed, so they could decide to not renew the scholarship if they see that a player is interested in transferring.

The student-athletes have no obligation to transfer. The compliance offices have 48 hours to enter the athlete name, which they have to do.

The downside for the athletes is that the coach doesn’t have to hold the scholarship open. I believe that most scholarships are annually renewed, so they could decide to not renew the scholarship if they see that a player is interested in transferring.

Except at Iu =- where we guarantee a 4 year scholarship (unless you graduate early).

So if a sophomore puts his name in and pulls it, arguably the IU Student-Athlete Bill of Rights "entitles" him to his scholarship if he decides to stay.

(Then again, I could be wrong - the IUSABOR may have loopholes. I have not read it.)

Except at Iu =- where we guarantee a 4 year scholarship (unless you graduate early).

So if a sophomore puts his name in and pulls it, arguably the IU Student-Athlete Bill of Rights "entitles" him to his scholarship if he decides to stay.

(Then again, I could be wrong - the IUSABOR may have loopholes. I have not read it.)
Doesn't the Bill of Rights just guarantee, you a four year degree. Not an athletic scholarship? Have Heard both ways, the way it is written is confusing.

I think it guarantees you will be able to get your degree for free. I dont think it guarantees a roster spot.

My take on the Student Bill of Rights is this:

We'd better hope Allen stays forever because there's a large portion of the coaching pool out there who would avoid many of those constraints like the plague.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Bill of Rights (both the Real one and the Student Athlete one) but if we ever go looking for a different HC it will limit the interest in a major way, (in my opinion)...

It's just extra incentive to root for Tom Allen to Win and Win BIG...;)

Last edited:
My take on the Student Bill of Rights is this:

We'd better hope Allen stays forever because there's a large portion of the coaching pool out there who would avoid many of those constraints like the plague.
How are coaches constrained?

How are coaches constrained?

You're gonna make me go back and read the thing again aren't you...:rolleyes:;)

Per what I read, they can't yell at a player in a negative tone, or punish him and they can't pull a guys scholarship for poor play...(#8 last line).

And..., And...., ;) the players have access to the AD thru the SAC... (It's almost like having a union rep...).:eek::)

Don't think we need to worry about going after about 3/4 of the established coaches out there at the moment... They wouldn't get near that kind of setup...

Like I said (sorta), I like the concept but we'd better hope we aren't in hiring mode any time soon...:confused: ;)

Tom Allen I'm All For You! (and all those "we need to go after Nick Saban" types should be too after reading #8 of the SBR above):D

The SBR is definitely a positive when it comes to recruiting and Tom Allen is the perfect HC to use it as a selling point because it backs up much of how he and his staff already go about things.

The SBR is a double edged sword in that it hampers us severely if the collective brain trust out there ever gets their way and we attempt to go after a "Big Name Coach". Getting a sniff from one prior to the SBR was unlikely..., now it's extremely unlikely...

There's an excellent interview with TA on the other site (run by he who will not be named;)) that gives a candid look into Head Coach Tom Allen's recruiting philosophy. His approach is a good one (in my opinion). Here's the link to the article (it's already linked on the basketball board)...: https://247sports.com/college/india...verview-Tom-Allen-talks-recruiting-132023450/

All that said, it's also my opinion that most of the "old school" coaches out there wouldn't be thrilled with the SBR, especially when coupled with the academic constraints in regard to grad transfers (3.0 gpa) and Junior College guys (Finite Math +)...

That article explains why it takes longer to build something here versus places where they can bring in literally anybody who can spell their name and might be a half step away from other kinds of trouble...

Tom Allen is the perfect HC for what we are attempting to be. They're aren't many out there like him, in my opinion. I'm ultra-glad we have him here at INDIANA.

Last edited:
That article explains why it takes longer to build something here versus places where they can bring in literally anybody who can spell their name and might be a half step away from other kinds of trouble...
I'm fine with grad transfers being required to have a minimum level of academic achievement. It's freaking grad school, fer cryin' out loud. The only thing I'd take issue is with jucos who wouldn't have qualified after high school not being admitted; those kids should be allowed to show they've brought their academics up to par at the juco institution.

Last edited:
I'm fine with grad transfers being required to have a minimum level of academic achievement. It's freaking grad school, fer cryin' out loud. The only thing I'd take issue is with jucos would wouldn't have qualified after high school not being admitted; those kids should be allowed to show they've brought their academics up to par at the juco institution.

I agree with you in theory (about our grad-transfer standards)... The problem lies in that many of our competitiors have no such standards..., putting us at a major disadvantage...

If a guy is just a slightly average student (with say a 2.4 gpa), yet he was able to graduate in less than 4 years because he worked hard (while basically having a full time job playing college football) I think we ought to be able to allow waivers on, at minimum, a case by case basis... Sure, some of our grad programs might say no (like The Kelly School) but others could just as easily say yes) but by setting an All Big Ten level grade point average as the standard we effectively shut the staff out of what has now become a key component of recruiting..., putting us at a competitive disadvantage...

Last edited:
I agree with you in theory (about our grad-transfer standards)... The problem lies in that many of our competitiors have no such standards..., putting us at a major disadvantage...
That's been stated, but is that really the case? I'm sure it's true to some extent, but generally, do other P5 institutions' grad programs really lower their standards for athletes?
If a guy is just a slightly average student (with say a 2.4 gpa), yet he was able to graduate in less than 4 years because he worked hard (while basically having a full time job playing college football) I think we ought to be able to allow waivers on, at minimum, a case by case basis...
The problem with "case by case" is that it makes it subjective, and would put pressure on the grad schools' admissions people to make exceptions that objectively wouldn't be in the best interest of the student or the grad program. And where do you draw the line? Would HPER (or whatever it's called now) be okay, but what about Maurer Law?

That's been stated, but is that really the case? I'm sure it's true to some extent, but generally, do other P5 institutions' grad programs really lower their standards for athletes?

The problem with "case by case" is that it makes it subjective, and would put pressure on the grad schools' admissions people to make exceptions that objectively wouldn't be in the best interest of the student or the grad program. And where do you draw the line? Would HPER (or whatever it's called now) be okay, but what about Maurer Law?

That's why it would be "case by case"..., some schools would allow entry while others wouldn't... The schools that already have small, highly competitive, entry class numbers (like Maurer & Kelly) could remain so, while a guy who wanted to get a grad degree (if it exists) in hypothetically Parks & Recreation wouldn't be excluded because he's not an All Big Ten level student.

Last edited:

Here's a school we sometimes compete head to head with for recruits that clearly has found a way to "work the system".

https://www.syracuse.com/orangespor...es_enrolled_in_the_same_graduate_program.html

I'm not suggesting we match them but we need to at least have access to a larger portion of the field than what our current standard gives us (in my opinion).

Years ago IU had a commitment from Glen Steele, a defensive lineman who played at West Noble in Ligonier. Steele, however, was not admitted because he did not have enough foreign language credits. So Steele went on to become all conference at Michigan. I hope situations like that don't happen very often.

Steele was a tough one to let get away. He came from a small school and was limited with foreign language opportunities. It was a shame IU didn't have a program for kids from small Indiana schools that didn't have necessary credits.

I agree with Vesuvius that IU should have some way to handle students, especially Indiana students, who's school system does not have the means to provide certain courses.

I disagree vehemently with becoming a North Carolina where we sacrifice all academic integrity for a few measly wins from the athletic programs.

We are Indiana University; one of the world's great institutions of higher learning! No matter how much I want to go undefeated in football, I NEVER want to see my alma mater sacrifice integrity. STUDENT-athletes.

I agree with Vesuvius that IU should have some way to handle students, especially Indiana students, who's school system does not have the means to provide certain courses.
When I came to major in math in 1960 I had zero foreign language credits. For two years I majored in math and German but it all worked out; what went wrong since then?

Hasn't it also become more difficult to recruit junior college players? We had good success with Mallory as coach adding players such as Ian Beckles and Eric Moore to the offensive line in the late 1980s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT