ADVERTISEMENT

Brady exonerated, suspension erased, NFL berated by judge in his ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniel Wallach ‏@WALLACHLEGAL 5m5 minutes ago
Scathing opinion by Judge Berman: lots of bolded text. Most I've ever seen in a federal court judicial opinion. No Devil's Advocate he!

It is no accident that Berman's ruling over and over again uses words like "allegedly deflated footballs" (p. 1) and "seemingly under-inflated footballs" (p. 3).

He didn't buy that there was any ball deflation by any person whatsoever, but that was something that he wasn't able to rule on.

Threads like this prove Tom Crean sucks, and how he and Glass have destroyed IU hoops. There is no real anticipation for the upcoming bball season, so we get thread after thread of football.
And don't forget the masterful play of the greatest 3rd play team in history. If you say Schwarber isn't the best hitter on the team and the history of the franchise, C-dumbasaboxarocks will come to your house and beat you up!

I'm reading the decision, just great stuff all the way through. I love that Berman is making it crystal clear that even if Brady had been caught red-handed deflating a ball himself, on tape, the only legal response by the NFL would have been a fine of $5,512!

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m3 minutes ago
Five times in today's 40-page ruling, Judge Berman put quotation marks around “independent” in reference to Ted Wells’ investigation.

I'm reading the decision, just great stuff all the way through. I love that Berman is making it crystal clear that even if Brady had been caught red-handed deflating a ball himself, on tape, the only legal response by the NFL would have been a fine of $5,512!

You've missed the whole point all along

Schefter just said that his texts from around the league have been pretty consistent in trashing the NFL and acknowledging that this is for the best. Even quoted someone saying that this is a manifestation of the spirit of Vince Lombardi (died 45 years ago today).

Alan Milstein ‏@amilst44 4m4 minutes ago
No need to rule on evident partiality, a good issue on appeal, because of the lack of notice and failure to produce Pash. Bulletproof.

NFLPA statement...

"This decision should prove, once and for all, that our Collective Bargaining Agreement does not grant this Commissioner the authority to be unfair, arbitrary and misleading. While the CBA grants the person who occupies the position of Commissioner the ability to judiciously and fairly exercise the designated power of that position, the union did not agree to attempts to unfairly, illegally exercise that power, contrary to what the NFL has repeatedly and wrongfully claimed."

zing ...

NFLPA statement...

"This decision should prove, once and for all, that our Collective Bargaining Agreement does not grant this Commissioner the authority to be unfair, arbitrary and misleading. While the CBA grants the person who occupies the position of Commissioner the ability to judiciously and fairly exercise the designated power of that position, the union did not agree to attempts to unfairly, illegally exercise that power, contrary to what the NFL has repeatedly and wrongfully claimed."

zing ...

You are the most pathetic human being I've never met.

Federal Judge Berman vacated the suspension of Tom Brady, citing numerous violations of the Federal Arbitration Act and of the NFL’s own collective bargaining agreement. He cited as factors in his ruling the lack of neutrality and fundamental fairness on the part of the arbitrator Roger Goodell, the lack of notice given to Mr. Brady, and the decision of the arbitrator to deny Mr. Brady’s legal team the opportunity to review the investigative materials of the Wells team and to interrogate the Wells report co-author Jeffrey Pash. Judge Berman also cited the inconsistency of punishments by the NFL for specific violations whose penalties have been collectively bargained, emphasizing that the allegations against Mr. Brady are best categorized as equipment code violations rather than being charges similar to violations of the NFL’s substance abuse policy, as Goodell had argued.

The issue of lack of notice, which cannot be remedied, may render the dispute not open to re-arbitration.

While Judge Berman’s ruling was based upon the issues of arbitrator fairness and CBA compliance, in a stern rebuke he also noted that throughout the entire process of their investigation the NFL had willfully ignored exonerating evidence and data, had played a role in allowing false information to drive the public debate, and had generally engaged in a clumsy and fundamentally biased rush to judgement.

An NFL spokesman indicated that the league plans to appeal the verdict.

(note: I haven't read Berman's ruling yet, but this is what I expect it to say)
None of that means he didn't do it....

Reactions: Bill4411
no, you have been full of shit all along and I had the facts on January 19

• Brady probably deflated the footballs.
  • The NFL sucks at discipline (and just sucks in general).
  • Nobody had all the facts because Brady wouldn't talk or give up his phone records (and I agree with his decision).
  • We don't know for sure either way what really happened. I'm leaning toward Brady 'cheating,' but it's probably widespread across the league anyway.
  • Nobody ever thought this impacted the outcome of the AFC title game.
  • Nobody really cared that much about the suspension, just the fact that Brady may have 'cheated.' It's his legacy, not the 4 game suspension vs. a $5k fine.
  • This is like an NCAA investigation. If you self report or admit guilt, you're screwed (see IU & Sampson). If you don't self report or admit guilt, you get away with it (see Tom Brady in this case, and most NCAA teams beside IU)
  • I haven't been full of shit all along because I never really weighed in on this
  • You are the worst kind of sports fan there is, and an asshole in general

Why Berman's decision is "reversal-proof":

It is the improper exclusion by Goodell of the Wells report co-author Jeff Pash as a witness at the arbitration hearing. Overturning an arbitration decision based upon denial of the accused the opportunity to question/ confront an accuser in arbitration proceedings is based on cases that were in fact determined WITHIN the second circuit court, where any appeal must be filed.

1. J-E-T-S, JETS! JETS! JETS!
1503.jpg

2. Beat the Salukis!
Indiana-Memorial-Stadium.jpg

3. Fair ain't got nothing to do with it. That's the way it is, life ain't fair and the world is mean.

The Ravens turned you in first.

You are so full of shit, on every single point!

The Ravens claimed that a KICKING BALL was introduced into play during the Ravens-Pats game that they had not prepped.

They were right!

Why were they right? An NFL official was STEALING KICKING BALLS to SELL THEM FOR PROFIT during the Ravens-Pats game, and again during the Colts-Pats game, where the PATRIOTS also complained about the disappearance/replacement of kicking balls.

lol, ESPN just brought Bruschi out from wherever they've been stashing him these last few months. ESPN is trying to spin this hard as having been on the right side all along.

This'll be good. Bruschi is grinning & he's pumped.

Why Berman's decision is "reversal-proof":

It is the improper exclusion by Goodell of the Wells report co-author Jeff Pash as a witness at the arbitration hearing. Overturning an arbitration decision based upon denial of the accused the opportunity to question/ confront an accuser in arbitration proceedings is based on cases that were in fact determined WITHIN the second circuit court, where any appeal must be filed.
Nothing is reverse proof dude. As a scientist, you should know this better than anyone.

The appeal should be sent back to the same judge, Berman, so that the league knows what it feels like!

Federal Judge Berman vacated the suspension of Tom Brady, citing numerous violations of the Federal Arbitration Act and of the NFL’s own collective bargaining agreement. He cited as factors in his ruling the lack of neutrality and fundamental fairness on the part of the arbitrator Roger Goodell, the lack of notice given to Mr. Brady, and the decision of the arbitrator to deny Mr. Brady’s legal team the opportunity to review the investigative materials of the Wells team and to interrogate the Wells report co-author Jeffrey Pash. Judge Berman also cited the inconsistency of punishments by the NFL for specific violations whose penalties have been collectively bargained, emphasizing that the allegations against Mr. Brady are best categorized as equipment code violations rather than being charges similar to violations of the NFL’s substance abuse policy, as Goodell had argued.

The issue of lack of notice, which cannot be remedied, may render the dispute not open to re-arbitration.

While Judge Berman’s ruling was based upon the issues of arbitrator fairness and CBA compliance, in a stern rebuke he also noted that throughout the entire process of their investigation the NFL had willfully ignored exonerating evidence and data, had played a role in allowing false information to drive the public debate, and had generally engaged in a clumsy and fundamentally biased rush to judgement.

An NFL spokesman indicated that the league plans to appeal the verdict.

(note: I haven't read Berman's ruling yet, but this is what I expect it to say)
If there were a tournament for most insufferable OTF poster, you'd be the only one seed.

And don't forget the masterful play of the greatest 3rd play team in history. If you say Schwarber isn't the best hitter on the team and the history of the franchise, C-dumbasaboxarocks will come to your house and beat you up!
I'm not one to defend anyone on the OTF for really any reason, but if you're coming up with a dumb epithet, please try harder.

Like C-$ucksa$$. Or C-$lut.

Seriously -- even from you, that's a weak effort.

Bruschi just called out that the balls were never deflated in the first place, and the Wells Report needs to be revisited.

The fat *** whose name I still don't know immediately fired back with "then why were Jastremski and McNally suspended?"

Bruschi admitted that he didn't know, and Schefter immediately interjected that they were suspended because the NFL demanded that they be suspended.

Schefter is pretty clearly bristling here. Saying some stuff that I think he's been wanting to say for months but couldn't, under ESPN muzzle. He's calling out Goodell and defending the Pats now, company line be damned.

I'm not one to defend anyone on the OTF for really any reason, but if you're coming up with a dumb epithet, please try harder.

Like C-$ucksa$$. Or C-$lut.

Seriously -- even from you, that's a weak effort.
I've used those in the past to describe him. I usually just call him C-$ucks

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 2m2 minutes ago
Officially from the league, there will be no stay pursued. Tom Brady will play during the appeal of Judge Berman's decision.

See ya Thursday

Bruschi just called out that the balls were never deflated in the first place, and the Wells Report needs to be revisited.

The fat *** whose name I still don't know immediately fired back with "then why were Jastremski and McNally suspended?"

Bruschi admitted that he didn't know, and Schefter immediately interjected that they were suspended because the NFL demanded that they be suspended.

Schefter is pretty clearly bristling here. Saying some stuff that I think he's been wanting to say for months but couldn't, under ESPN muzzle. He's calling out Goodell and defending the Pats now, company line be damned.
The fact that you are reaching to quote every second of ESPN shows how desperate you really are. Point/counterpoint. ESPN plays this game over ever major issue. Shocked you haven't figured this out yet.

Now go back to your room and play with your chemistry set and turn down the TV so your mom can sleep. I know she's tired from me wearing her out last night.

Reactions: IUecho87
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo 2m2 minutes ago
Officially from the league, there will be no stay pursued. Tom Brady will play during the appeal of Judge Berman's decision.

See ya Thursday

I wonder how much longer Goodell is going to be commish. My guess is he is done after this season. That said, this is my last post on this. It is not important, and even as a Colts fan I could care less about this.

Reactions: IU40IU
Ha so obsessed. This is not about the Colts, nor the score. The Ravens turned you in first. Everyone in the league knows you cheat. Repeatedly. This ruling changes nothing. Repeated pattern of cheating.
Your reactions are hysterical. Try to stop sobbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT