ADVERTISEMENT

Braden Smith looks really good

Because he’s a giant with little stamina known for getting in foul trouble. 20-25 is realistic. 30 is not possible
So the 31 he played the other night isn't realistic? Or does that not count because it was vs a lesser team? Just trying to figure out the restrictions and caveats up front.

So the 31 he played the other night isn't realistic? Or does that not count because it was vs a lesser team? Just trying to figure out the restrictions and caveats up front.
The question was not whether or not he could play 30 minutes every once in awhile against teams they really need him to ( like Austin Peay). The question was whether he could do it night in and night out. He will not average 30 mpg. That’s completely unrealistic.

The question was not whether or not he could play 30 minutes every once in awhile against teams they really need him to ( like Austin Peay). The question was whether he could do it night in and night out. He will not average 30 mpg. That’s completely unrealistic.
Isn't he starting at PG for them? Usually in precon games the starters get fewer minutes and the bench more. If he's their starting PG, then I'd expect he'll keep getting the same, or even more minutes, unless he gives MP a reason to reduce his minutes.

I'm not sure why all the angst over a thread about Braden Smith. No one is saying he's as good as JHS, but it is unusual for a freshman to get a lot of minutes, let alone a potential starting position, and he is an IN kid that there was some IU discussion with. That's all I ever took it as: IUN thinks he's punching above his weight class where he was ranked and thought of. Could signal he's better than expected, or PU just has a huge hole there (and likely a little of both), but I never took it to mean He's gonna be All Big 10 this year, better or as good as JHS or a threat to leave early or anything. I heard Jim Coyle and someone having a similar type of discussion about Jack Nunge, and the guest mentioned Bryant MacIntosh too as another IN kid that did well and got away from IU. I enjoy hearing such information, but it doesn't make me think less of our program, especially this year!

Isn't he starting at PG for them? Usually in precon games the starters get fewer minutes and the bench more. If he's their starting PG, then I'd expect he'll keep getting the same, or even more minutes, unless he gives MP a reason to reduce his minutes.

I'm not sure why all the angst over a thread about Braden Smith. No one is saying he's as good as JHS, but it is unusual for a freshman to get a lot of minutes, let alone a potential starting position, and he is an IN kid that there was some IU discussion with. That's all I ever took it as: IUN thinks he's punching above his weight class where he was ranked and thought of. Could signal he's better than expected, or PU just has a huge hole there (and likely a little of both), but I never took it to mean He's gonna be All Big 10 this year, better or as good as JHS or a threat to leave early or anything. I heard Jim Coyle and someone having a similar type of discussion about Jack Nunge, and the guest mentioned Bryant MacIntosh too as another IN kid that did well and got away from IU. I enjoy hearing such information, but it doesn't make me think less of our program, especially this year!
The boiler fan was talking about Edey not smith.

Reactions: B1G_Fan and kkott
The boiler fan was talking about Edey not smith.
Oops. But, I don't see why he can't play 30 minutes a night too. He is a 20 something college athlete. You do realize on those days he's not playing 30 minutes over the course of a 2 hour game, they are practing for 2 hours and lifting/working out on top of that often, right? Besides, he's the only proven commodity on their frontline and really on their roster, imo. He's got to be damn close to 30 a night for them to have a chance. I have a feeling CMP is aware of that too!

He will average 25-30 mpg.

• Haha
Reactions: B1G_Fan
Oops. But, I don't see why he can't play 30 minutes a night too. He is a 20 something college athlete. You do realize on those days he's not playing 30 minutes over the course of a 2 hour game, they are practing for 2 hours and lifting/working out on top of that often, right? Besides, he's the only proven commodity on their frontline and really on their roster, imo. He's got to be damn close to 30 a night for them to have a chance. I have a feeling CMP is aware of that too!
He gets in foul trouble. That’s what he’s saying. He did get very tired against B1G teams last year. Also it’s a question that even PU fans have asked and being debated.

Last edited:
He gets in foul trouble. That’s what he’s saying. He did get very tired against B1G teams last year. Also it’s a question that even OU fans have asked and being debated.
OK, well, fouls I understand and conditioning can be an issue; especially in a new role. If Edey can't play 30 knowing what was known about this season, that's on him, or he just physically has limitations on wind and endurance.

Wasn't it Grunwald that RMK said was one of his better practice players and got overhyped for games, and couldn't play extended minutes?

He gets in foul trouble. That’s what he’s saying. He did get very tired against B1G teams last year. Also it’s a question that even PU fans have asked and being debated.
but they also had Traveon last year, so they had another good post option. I think that had more to do with Edey's minutes last year than his need for rest.

Foul trouble. They're pretty deep in the frontcourt. He's never done it before. He becomes a liability, more so than others, when he gets tired... I get what you're saying. I'm a big advocate AGAINST load management in college. Very few guys need it. Edey though, I don't think its the cumulative effect of the season for him, as much as I don't think his body can handle much more than 25 hard minutes of play in most games.

What'll be more interesting, to me, is how much he plays in the last 5-8 minutes of games. Boiler fans have tried Boilersplaining away why Edey has often been on the bench in his career during crunch time. Most refer to Williams as having been a better crunch time player. I think its because Painter knows as the game wears on, he's a defensive liability. And with long, athletic guys like Furst, TKR, and even Gillis...there are much better and more versatile defenders available for Painter when they're going to need to be getting stops.

OK, well, fouls I understand and conditioning can be an issue; especially in a new role. If Edey can't play 30 knowing what was known about this season, that's on him, or he just physically has limitations on wind and endurance.

Wasn't it Grunwald that RMK said was one of his better practice players and got overhyped for games, and couldn't play extended minutes?
I doubt he averages 30. Probably closer to 25. That’s the argument from me. B1Gfan argued both. His foul trouble usually happened early. They won’t have the luxury of sitting him long.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
You could put Edey on the floor for 30 minutes fouls withstanding, hell you could play him all 40 minutes if you had too. The question with Edey is where do you draw the line with minutes and efficiency. The longer you leave Edey on the floor the bigger liability he becomes on defense.

Foul trouble. They're pretty deep in the frontcourt. He's never done it before. He becomes a liability, more so than others, when he gets tired... I get what you're saying. I'm a big advocate AGAINST load management in college. Very few guys need it. Edey though, I don't think its the cumulative effect of the season for him, as much as I don't think his body can handle much more than 25 hard minutes of play in most games.

What'll be more interesting, to me, is how much he plays in the last 5-8 minutes of games. Boiler fans have tried Boilersplaining away why Edey has often been on the bench in his career during crunch time. Most refer to Williams as having been a better crunch time player. I think its because Painter knows as the game wears on, he's a defensive liability. And with long, athletic guys like Furst, TKR, and even Gillis...there are much better and more versatile defenders available for Painter when they're going to need to be getting stops.
Yes beat me to it.

Double edged sword. Pretty deep in the frontcourt; by who's standards? Edey is pretty much on everyone's All Big Ten and even some AA lists. Maybe I'm not perusing far enough, but I don't think Furst, TKR or Gillis are showing up on many! Sure, a skilled or mobile big man might have his way with Edey a bit, but there are 4 other guys out there, so you can gameplan a bit. If I'm worried about scoring for PU, I'm playing Edey as much as his wind or fouls will allow!

Double edged sword. Pretty deep in the frontcourt; by who's standards? Edey is pretty much on everyone's All Big Ten and even some AA lists. Maybe I'm not perusing far enough, but I don't think Furst, TKR or Gillis are showing up on many! Sure, a skilled or mobile big man might have his way with Edey a bit, but there are 4 other guys out there, so you can gameplan a bit. If I'm worried about scoring for PU, I'm playing Edey as much as his wind or fouls will allow!
TKR already proving to be a much better interior player than Furst and is honestly their best bet as a backup to Edey. Just find it funny because Painter sold TKR on playing a more perimeter oriented role. Furst prefers to play out on the perimeter and has a good looking shot, just isn't a great athlete and struggles guarding opposing 4's. Gillis is the best compliment to Edey and that's why he starts.

I’ll give you 25 average and that’s max. He might play 30 in a few games but I doubt it’s his average
Hes averaging 27 right now. I'd say that's probably right. Doesn't really need to play more though. Enough talent behind him that I'd rather have his best 25 than push for 32 a game.

The Purdue Rivals site is now run by the guy who took a video of himself crying after Purdue got raped by Kansas in the Sweet 16 a few years ago.

The Purdue Rivals site is now run by the guy who took a video of himself crying after Purdue got raped by Kansas in the Sweet 16 a few years ago.
And 90% of the people on the Purdue rivals paid site left to follow GBI. Because they don't respect his work.

but they also had Traveon last year, so they had another good post option. I think that had more to do with Edey's minutes last year than his need for rest.
Trevion played for a number of reasons last season. If you look at when he came in games and against which teams, it was clear Edey was not effective against everyone he played and MP didn't want him on the floor at certain points, like at the end of games. Edey rarely played the last four minutes. More mobile, quicker post players created a lot of problems for him, his FT shooting was really questionable, particularly away from home and in pressure situations. MP always preferred Trevion when the chips were down and mobile big men were in the game for the other team.

Maybe Edey worked on his movement and physical stamina, but I highly doubt he got quick enough to stay with a lot of athletic, quick centers, bangers yes, quick guys, particularly those with a mid range or longer shot that is at least somewhat reliable and can draw him out makes him a liability. Maybe he'll surprise me, but I doubt it. Just like maybe Braden Smith will turn out much better than he projected. I still see Smith with a limited ceiling.

Also, when comparing Smith to Jordan Hulls, we must remember Hulls was always a bit of a defensive liability. Smith may be also.

Purdue lost all of their starting backcourt.

Just from the descriptions and what little video I saw, I would have really liked to have had Smith on our roster. Seems like a great glue and team guy. Wish him well, and yes, I suspect he'll be a pain in our ass for 4 years!
Hey, we’ve got Anthony Leal!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT