ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens

Yes, that is what these guys are hanging their hats on. Very funny actually.
He was older than 11, went to Bob Knight camps and IU games growing up, his dad was on the Rose Bowl team, and he's introduced Bob Knight (who spoke glowingly about what a great coach Stevens is) at a speaking event but yeah, there's nothing to Stevens loving IU. I should add, that it might be helpful if you'd get your head out of your a$$ and look at ALL of the facts. This is to say nothing of friends and family that both attended IU and are lifelong fans. Remember....
58c139fb531c8f121b4f9812422e91a1.jpg

He was older than 11, went to Bob Knight camps and IU games growing up, his dad was on the Rose Bowl team, and he's introduced Bob Knight (who spoke glowingly about what a great coach Stevens is) at a speaking event but yeah, there's nothing to Stevens loving IU. I should add, that it might be helpful if you'd get your head out of your a$$ and look at ALL of the facts. This is to say nothing of friends and family that both attended IU and are lifelong fans. Remember....
58c139fb531c8f121b4f9812422e91a1.jpg
Show the facts

Make a meme.

That's how people get their facts in the modern age.
And lost somewhere in one of these oh-so-special threads is my 10,000th post. *sigh* Absolutely wasted.
I guess this'll do for that point.
ut.jpg

Last edited:
Here you go. Facts. Eat it. He's been an IU fan his whole life. He wouldn't introduce RMK unless he loved Hoosier basketball, now would he genius? Now please, stop demonstrating what a first rate idiot you are.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...mns/story?id=5041309&columnist=schlabach_mark

The event with RMK you speak of was at Clowes Hall on Butler's campus and RMK made himself available at a special pre-speech backstage event that BU hosted. Stevens was there on BU's behalf. And yes, Knight had glowing things to say about Stevens. And those are the facts.

The event with RMK you speak of was at Clowes Hall on Butler's campus and RMK made himself available at a special pre-speech backstage event that BU hosted. Stevens was there on BU's behalf. And yes, Knight had glowing things to say about Stevens. And those are the facts.
So your point is? Is it fair to say he has a lot of respect for RMK? Did he grow up a rabid IU basketball fan? Fact and fact. This assertion that he doesn't care about IU basketball then, now or whenever is ridiculous. He's a student of the game. He knows he was the youngest coach ever to coach in a FF game (replacing a 32 year old Bob Knight, when he did so at IU) and had he won the final, he'd have been the youngest since a coach named Branch McCracken. History isn't lost on him. He would own the state.

My point was introducing RMK at an event is not proof that he loves IU basketball, he did it as a part of his role as BU's coach at an event on BU's campus. Probably not your strongest argument.

It's almost as bad as you repeating over and over again about how an announcer said that Marshall didn't want a big job...even after you were shown direct quotes refuting hat statement
Scott will claim facts which are disproven by direct video evidence. I made that mistake with him regarding the Knight "choking".

My point was introducing RMK at an event is not proof that he loves IU basketball, he did it as a part of his role as BU's coach at an event on BU's campus. Probably not your strongest argument.
Not in and of itself, but that fact doesn't live in a vacuum, does it? The rest of what I said is also fact and, when taken as a whole, is, well, it's not even an argument. There's the obvious and then there are those just being idiots.
I'm glad you split hairs to be on the wrong side of this argument. Congrats.

Brad Stevens isn't going to coach the Celtics for 20 or 30 years. That is 1 thing we can be sure of.

If Ainge doesn't get him the talent to move to the next step, you are probably right. If they take next step and move to a title contender then who knows how long he stays there. How long has Pop been coaching the Spurs?

Brad Stevens isn't going to coach the Celtics for 20 or 30 years. That is 1 thing we can be sure of.

Maybe not, but the question remains: Will Stevens coach in the NBA for that long? I think he's established himself as a legitimate coach in the Association.

This whole "ordeal" reminds me of Jim Harbaugh(as a UM football fan I can relate). If Stevens' passion and love is for IU/college basketball, he will return at some point. The money is very similar(in some instances college pays more) and it's easier to win in college ball then the NBA. Look at the NBA over the last 20 years, so few teams have won the title. Celtics once, Lakers/Spurs/Heat multiple times, Mavs once, Cavs once, GSW once. That's about it(off the top of my head).

It all depends on where his heart really is and we don't know and everything else is speculation.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
This whole "ordeal" reminds me of Jim Harbaugh(as a UM football fan I can relate). If Stevens' passion and love is for IU/college basketball, he will return at some point. The money is very similar(in some instances college pays more) and it's easier to win in college ball then the NBA. Look at the NBA over the last 20 years, so few teams have won the title. Celtics once, Lakers/Spurs/Heat multiple times, Mavs once, Cavs once, GSW once. That's about it(off the top of my head).

It all depends on where his heart really is and we don't know and everything else is speculation.
This is a good post. Especially the part I put in bold. And its truly the bottom line: If Stevens passion is CBB/IU, he'll eventually be here. Hell who knows. He(Stevens) could be sitting at home, licking his chops. Saying, "C'mon Tom, just a few more baby. Just a few more(losses)",

This is maybe the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You do realize that NBA teams play well over 100 games when you include preseason and playoffs vs college teams which play about 1/3 of that. You realize that the NBA season is like 8 months vs 5 months in college. As for recruiting, Brad could never venture more than a couple hours from Bloomington and land all the talent he needs. He could also hire guys like Bailey and Cheaney to do most of the recruiting for him and have top 10 talent without hardly leaving the couch. Not to mention no more 2 week road trips away from the wife and kids.

RMK spent a lot more time fishing than he did recruiting.

RMK was recruiting in a totally different era. With guys like Calipari, K, Self, Miller, etc plus strong recruiting north and south of Indiana, you won't pull in recruits while "fishing". You'll lose your ass.

The NBA, much like the NFL, is less work overall than the college games. College coaches must be on campus yearly. Practice times are limited, so they must have as much time as possible for it. NBA guys train away from head coaches 80% of the time. You've got to babysit 18-21 year olds that you are personally responsible for. That's fukin work. And as I said, if you want to be one of the best, get ready to meet mammas and daddy's + AAU handlers (which is another thing knight didn't have to mess with) that aren't necessarily committing to the 3rd assistant.

College coaches can easily get burned out. NBA coaches have way more time at home all in all, and way less responsibility. If you're liked among owners and coaches you can stay in the league for 10+ years easy. Making large contracts and not really even winning largely.

Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
This is a good post. Especially the part I put in bold. And its truly the bottom line: If Stevens passion is CBB/IU, he'll eventually be here. Hell who knows. He(Stevens) could be sitting at home, licking his chops. Saying, "C'mon Tom, just a few more baby. Just a few more(losses)",

WAKE UPPPPPP!!!!!!

**alarm clock sounds**

You've been asleep. Time to wake up Hoosiers!

Stevens is liked in the NBA and he could suck with the Celtics and someone else would be glad to take him. He's not leaving the pros. Some college coaches don't like the grind of college hoops. It's a 24/7 job at basketball schools in 2017.

Indiana allowing Crean to remain is really baffling. The list of elite coaches however, is dwindling.

donovan will return to college eventually but it won't be at Indiana.

WAKE UPPPPPP!!!!!!

**alarm clock sounds**

Stevens is liked in the NBA and he could suck with the Celtics and someone else would be glad to take him. He's not leaving the pros. Some college coaches don't like the grind of college hoops. It's a 24/7 job at basketball schools in 2017.

Indiana allowing Crean to remain is really baffling. The list of elite coaches however, is dwindling.

Sure glad you're here to tell us all this.

Thanks for stopping by.

Brad will coach in the NBA for as long as he wants. And I think that will be for the rest of his career.

And as a Butler fan, its kind of funny to watch you guys speak about Brad like he's your prodigal son that you're waiting to return. As a non-IU fan, I'm not trying to come in here and stir the pot. It's just interesting from an outsiders prospective to see a school try to claim a coach who has no ties to your school other than he went to IU games as a child. I doubt he looks at IU the same now as he did in 1987. A lot changes in 30 years.

Plus, I think he has a new favorite school anyway...

*Brad Stevens texts Butler head coach Chris Holtmann after every game
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/video/2017/01/10/brad-stevens-butler-basketball

*Brad Stevens asked about @ButlerMBB victory over No. 1 Villanova. Smiled and offered, "That’s what we do.”

Brad will coach in the NBA for as long as he wants. And I think that will be for the rest of his career.

And as a Butler fan, its kind of funny to watch you guys speak about Brad like he's your prodigal son that you're waiting to return. As a non-IU fan, I'm not trying to come in here and stir the pot. It's just interesting from an outsiders prospective to see a school try to claim a coach who has no ties to your school other than he went to IU games as a child. I doubt he looks at IU the same now as he did in 1987. A lot changes in 30 years.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/video/2017/01/10/brad-stevens-butler-basketball

*Brad Stevens asked about @ButlerMBB victory over No. 1 Villanova. Smiled and offered, "That’s what we do.”

Thanks for adding the 7,342 post on why Brad Stevens isn't coming to IU. Most people on here don't think he will come to IU now, but that doesn't mean IU shouldn't try to hire him when Crean is shown the door. You don't think his Dad attending Indiana is a major tie to the school?

No. There is absolutely no chance.

I suppose there's some fractional chance he comes back to Butler in the distant future after he's retired from the NBA.

But that (basically zero percent) chance is still infinitely more likely than he coaching Indiana.

It will NEVER happen, just let it go. It's less likely than getting Coach K.

He coaches he freaking Celtics and is considered one of best coaches in the league.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15356168/brad-stevens-next-superstar-head-coach

College coaches can easily get burned out. NBA coaches have way more time at home all in all, and way less responsibility. If you're liked among owners and coaches you can stay in the league for 10+ years easy. Making large contracts and not really even winning largely.

The NBA season is 82 games, 41 road games, coast-to-coast with back-to-backs. The travel is brutal.

College is what...12 road games? Most in your conference and thus a short flight. 17 games into the season and our longest true road game so far has been where... at Fort Wayne! Never a back-to-back in different cities. If your team is good, even TOURNAMENT games will be close to home.

Collect talent. No salary cap, baby. Player X is not working out? Send him packing. Others are lined up.

Wining, dining, wooing free agents is a lot of work in the off season for NBA coaches in this era. Not the never-ending grind of college recruiting, grant you, but it's not kicking your feet up, And job security? In the NBA there's a 95% chance that someday you WILL get fired.

There's lots going for the college coaching gig, especially these days when salaries are not so different.

Last edited:
WAKE UPPPPPP!!!!!!

**alarm clock sounds**

interested in why Donovan would not choose Indiana? I see the opposite as likely.
Donovan would have every advantage available i.e. resources, recruiting base, national appeal and flexibility to coach his game his way...with Top 10 paydays.. .IU offers all of those things.

Reactions: IUPaterade724

There is a ceiling at Butler for what a coach can accomplish: that ceiling doesn't exist at IU. This ceiling is why Brad left Butler: he hit the ceiling and accomplished all he could there.

Brad IS a superstar college basketball coach. Going .500 in the Eastern Conference isn't superstar status, certainly not at the Celtics. He doesn't and won't ever have what the Cavs and Golden State have, which is a ceiling he has already hit.

Brad has plenty of ties to the state of Indiana, and IU is the college basketball program in the state. With a coach like Stevens, IU could be the toast of college basketball: it is just too good of a story.

Last edited:
There is a ceiling at Butler for what a coach can accomplish: that ceiling doesn't exist at IU. This ceiling is why Brad left Butler: he hit the ceiling and accomplished all he could there.

Brad IS a superstar college basketball coach. Going .500 in the Eastern Conference isn't superstar status, certainly not at the Celtics. He doesn't and won't ever have what the Cavs and Golden State have, which is a ceiling he has already hit.

As evidenced by the back to back runs, apparently the ceiling for Butler is pretty darn high. And that's not why he left Butler, he had a desire to coach in the NBA and a legendary team came calling. (Mind you, he turned down 2 previous NBA offers to stay at BU.). He wants to be an NBA coach and no reason to think he won't succeed.

Reactions: minneman
As evidenced by the back to back runs, apparently the ceiling for Butler is pretty darn high. And that's not why he left Butler, he had a desire to coach in the NBA and a legendary team came calling. (Mind you, he turned down 2 previous NBA offers to stay at BU.). He wants to be an NBA coach and no reason to think he won't succeed.
The last two years he has been more than a .500 coach at Boston
48-34 59%
24-15 61%

IU has to reach for the very top when it eventually seeks a new coach. I am not convinced that Crean is on the hot seat....because there is no overt indication that such is the case. Its all conjecture...and Crean continues along the status quo year after year. The IU basketball program is poised for blueblood impact...its a sleeping giant that just needs the right coach to wake it up. That of course, assumes that championship level basketball matters at IU any more. That is a question for which no answer is obvious....at least not the right answer.

The only way Stevens is the coach at IU is if IU offer is just simply too good to be true.

Popovich is the highest paid coach anywhere at 11 mil/year. Coach K makes around 9 mil/year.

If I'm Glass, I get the alumni together and say we need to offer no less than 10 mil/year......and see what happens.....

That's cute.

In the NBA, either you have Jordan or LeBron or you don't: Brad does not. In college, Steve Alford and RMK can beat Jordan and a starting 5 of first round picks.

Reactions: Hoosier01
IU has to reach for the very top when it eventually seeks a new coach. I am not convinced that Crean is on the hot seat....because there is no overt indication that such is the case. Its all conjecture...and Crean continues along the status quo year after year. The IU basketball program is poised for blueblood impact...its a sleeping giant that just needs the right coach to wake it up. That of course, assumes that championship level basketball matters at IU any more. That is a question for which no answer is obvious....at least not the right answer.

Agree that IU is a sleeping giant. But I think there are other coaches who can awaken the program besides Stevens. I understand the yearning for BS, but I don't think Bloomington is in his future. Waiting on him is fruitless and counter productive to the good of the program.

No. There is absolutely no chance.

I suppose there's some fractional chance he comes back to Butler in the distant future after he's retired from the NBA.

But that (basically zero percent) chance is still infinitely more likely than he coaching Indiana.

It will NEVER happen, just let it go. It's less likely than getting Coach K.

He coaches he freaking Celtics and is considered one of best coaches in the league.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15356168/brad-stevens-next-superstar-head-coach

You've been gone for a long time. Go away again.

Agree that IU is a sleeping giant. But I think there are other coaches who can awaken the program besides Stevens. I understand the yearning for BS, but I don't think Bloomington is in his future. Waiting on him is fruitless and counter productive to the good of the program.
If you've noticed my posts on Stevens...I would take him first of course. However, if a commitment from Billy Donovan happened before Stevens said no...I'd take BD in a heartbeat. He is best coach which might be available, overall....not much you could add to his resume'....and he isn't that old.

Reactions: Wildmanroom
Do you guys remember after Crean's 3rd year finishing dead last in the Big Ten, there were 2-3 people on here who said we should fire Crean and go get Stevens (coming off the Final Four run)? Those people were absolutely crucified by 99% of this board. People were out with their pitchforks to defend the 2nd coming Tommy B. Pretty funny looking back. Can you imagine where we'd be by now?

Do you guys remember after Crean's 3rd year finishing dead last in the Big Ten, there were 2-3 people on here who said we should fire Crean and go get Stevens (coming off the Final Four run)? Those people were absolutely crucified by 99% of this board. People were out with their pitchforks to defend the 2nd coming Tommy B. Pretty funny looking back. Can you imagine where we'd be by now?

IU needed to do something bold. But the admin is never bold. That failure could haunt IU hoops for decades. It's amazing to consider Stevens was right there and Glass extended Tom The Baker. Amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT