ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens

I
Brad Stevens will coach IU someday. It just won't be as soon as we want him to. He's extremely young. He has 25 years to take this job.
I agree. When the kids are grown and off to college. If one of them attends ND, BU, or IU, it'll really be good.

http://www.celticsblog.com/2013/12/...a-boston-celtics-butler-hoosiers-bobby-knight

But that the two share any similarities is not all that odd, as Stevens idolized the Hoosiers and Knight throughout his youth, even pretending to coach Indiana as early as the second grade when Stevens wrote X’s and O’s on a chalkboard in his family’s basement.

Then, when Stevens was 8, he sat in the upper tier above the Indiana bench with his father, Mark, during a game between the Hoosiers and bitter rival Purdue.

It was during that 1985 game that Knight hurled a red plastic chair across the court and stalked the sideline, boiling over, irate with the officiating.

Many Hoosiers fans in the crowd that night cheered their volatile coach, and Stevens was among them, as he pumped his fist and howled in approval. "Brad was thrilled," Mark Stevens recalled. "He thought it was pretty cool."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...-first-time/5hFqlk8YFNPajWKZalHGcL/story.html

Later, when Stevens was around 11, the family was on spring break when he watched the tape of Indiana’s thrilling 1987 NCAA championship win against Syracuse maybe 100 times, Mark estimated.

“I’d go down on a Saturday morning and most kids would be watching cartoons and he’d be watching the Hoosiers,” Mark said.

Stevens also attended many Hoosiers basketball games because his father, a former backup center on IU’s football team, had coveted season tickets.

So, you guys are saying it was his dream job when he was 11?

According to the interview last year I heard with Chris Denari that Stevens wife prefers Brad coaching in the NBA

What they say and what they think could be two very different things. The Stevens are both very smart. They aren't going to come out publicly and say "Boston is alright but we'd be happier in Bloomington" even if it was the case. As I said, your dream job is always your current one until another comes along.

What they say and what they think could be two very different things. The Stevens are both very smart. They aren't going to come out publicly and say "Boston is alright but we'd be happier in Bloomington" even if it was the case. As I said, your dream job is always your current one until another comes along.
They were not just talking about the IU job but they were talking about the lifestyle. They say he has way more family time coaching in the NBA especially during the summer and that is appealing to them

So what do the Stevens' do in summer time with all that extra free time. Do they go back to Indy so the kids can hang with the grandparents?

Yeh. Those NBA coaches and GMs look real stressed out while they are in Vegas during the summer league. lol

Sounds like Brad thinks he's still on the bench for BU:

Chris Forberg tweet. @ESPNForsberg:

Brad Stevens asked about @ButlerMBB victory over No. 1 Villanova. Smiled and offered, "That’s what we do.” How did he celebrate?

Reactions: ZildjianZLine
So what do the Stevens' do in summer time with all that extra free time. Do they go back to Indy so the kids can hang with the grandparents?

Yeh. Those NBA coaches and GMs look real stressed out while they are in Vegas during the summer league. lol
Summer league is the first week of July right after the draft so after that there is some downtime.

Summer league is the first week of July right after the draft so after that there is some downtime.
OK. Are you implying the summer league is tough on those guys because I was making a joke about them being stressed out from being stranded in Vegas.

According to the interview last year I heard with Chris Denari that Stevens wife prefers Brad coaching in the NBA
You should make this your sig phrase so you don't have to Pavlov type it every time Stevens name gets mentioned.

It's almost as bad as you repeating over and over again about how an announcer said that Marshall didn't want a big job...even after you were shown direct quotes refuting hat statement

You should make this your sig phrase so you don't have to Pavlov type it every time Stevens name gets mentioned.

It's almost as bad as you repeating over and over again about how an announcer said that Marshall didn't want a big job...even after you were shown direct quotes refuting hat statement

Exactly. Stevens is currently an NBA coach. Of course he's going to say he prefers coaching in the NBA. Whether he means it or not is the question. We won't know until we have an opening and we ask.

Reactions: mazz
I'm not going to elaborate but Brad Stevens to IU is not the pipe dream many think. It's a real possibility. This opportunity has not completely passed.
Stevens will go to Duke and replace Coach k before I.U.
I'm not going to elaborate but Brad Stevens to IU is not the pipe dream many think. It's a real possibility. This opportunity has not completely passed.

Reactions: Catfish_ Crazy
I think coach K has so much respect, he will pick is replacement. I would be shocked if it is not one of his guys, either currently coaching elsewhere or sitting on his bench right now.

You're correct. My guess is Capel.

I don't think the point was that he was stressed out but he isn't at home with his family when he's there now is he?

I think coach K has so much respect, he will pick is replacement. I would be shocked if it is not one of his guys, either currently coaching elsewhere or sitting on his bench right now.
This. K is loyal to his guys. I'd be shocked if the next coach at Duke isn't from within the program.

Reactions: mazz
Yes, that is what these guys are hanging their hats on. Very funny actually.

Not really that funny. Good sources have said he had an out clause for the IU job in his contract with Butler. IU basketball was to Brad Stevens growing up as ND football was to Rudy Ruettiger. I still don't think he's leaving Boston yet, but we have to ask.

Not really that funny. Good sources have said he had an out clause for the IU job in his contract with Butler. IU basketball was to Brad Stevens growing up as ND football was to Rudy Ruettiger. I still don't think he's leaving Boston yet, but we have to ask.
LMMFAA an out clause while at Butler. We heard the same thing about Matta. JFC

Link to good sources saying he had an out for IU. This is a fact driven board.

I don't think the point was that he was stressed out but he isn't at home with his family when he's there now is he?

OK. instead of stressed out, unhappy is the word. I watch a lot of that summer league stuff and it looks like those guys are on vacation while their D-League guys or ex-NBA players turned radio/TV guys are coaching the summer league team. Who knows maybe the wife and kids go to Orlando in the Orlando Summer League and they some family time with Mickey and Goofy.

They will keep it in the family

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT