ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens discusses what IU means to him...

Someone above mentioned Purdue fans fear Stevens hiring and that's why they say it isn't happening. Stevens is a good coach, but he's not the guy I "fear" (since that was used above). I think Tony Bennett would be THE homerun, sure-thing hire. He's the best coach in the land IMO.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Someone above mentioned Purdue fans fear Stevens hiring and that's why they say it isn't happening. Stevens is a good coach, but he's not the guy I "fear" (since that was used above). I think Tony Bennett would be THE homerun, sure-thing hire. He's the best coach in the land IMO.
Stevens to Purdue as an assistant to replace Shrewsberry. Court and Trojan will need yet another diaper change.

Reactions: BoilerN
He doesn’t need permission to speak with anyone. Now, let the Purdue obsessed back in so they can ruin the thread some more.

Dolson does not, but Brad almost certainly does. If his K w/ the Celtics does not include a non-compete that precludes seeking employment with another team, the Celtics should probably hire new lawyers. I do not have a dog in this fight, but does it not strike anyone as a bit odd that Woj who seems to literally know everything about the NBA before anyone else not actually involved in the matter has not said word one about the Celtics and Stevens discussing his moving on? Not saying it cannot or will not happen, but I think I would put more weight on Woj saying nothing than some randoms on twitter throwing stuff at the wall.

Stevens to Purdue as an assistant to replace Shrewsberry. Court and Trojan will need yet another diaper change.

In the now-famous news conference BS talked about Shrewsberry like he was his best friend in coaching. I think he had worked for Brad? Anyway, probably doesn't hurt our chances with BS that he's now at PSU.

Dolson does not, but Brad almost certainly does. If his K w/ the Celtics does not include a non-compete that precludes seeking employment with another team, the Celtics should probably hire new lawyers. I do not have a dog in this fight, but does it not strike anyone as a bit odd that Woj who seems to literally know everything about the NBA before anyone else not actually involved in the matter has not said word one about the Celtics and Stevens discussing his moving on? Not saying it cannot or will not happen, but I think I would put more weight on Woj saying nothing than some randoms on twitter throwing stuff at the wall.
He might need it, but it might only be restricted to other pro programs. Doubt it’s enforceable beyond the practical issue of a contractual buyout anyway, which is the material issue. It would be BS’s rep who would solicit offers anyway, which is why only a buyout matters.

In the now-famous news conference BS talked about Shrewsberry like he was his best friend in coaching. I think he had worked for Brad? Anyway, probably doesn't hurt our chances with BS that he's now at PSU.
Stevens will enjoy working for Painter. Miller hated it, though.

It doesn't matter who they hire. Based on the programs history, they will have tourney success while Purdue doesn't.

So you are already saying Painter is better than Stevens? Who could have seen that coming? LOL
You’re going to have gain much more intelligence just to ascend to “stupid”. In your rare moments of clarity, that should scare you.

You’re going to have gain much more intelligence just to ascend to “stupid”. In your rare moments of clarity, that should scare you.
Predictable that you would find a way to put Painter above Stevens. They aren’t even in the same universe.

Predictable that you would find a way to put Painter above Stevens. They aren’t even in the same universe.
Predictable that you’re not intelligent enough to understand what was being said. Doesn’t your abject stupidity scare you, even a little? Maybe you should go back to getting pounded by the Purdue people.

So you are already saying Painter is better than Stevens? Who could have seen that coming? LOL
I blocked that clown ages ago, but if that's literally what he said, that could be the single dumbest post of his life, which is a really low bar. A statement that can easily be refuted by the fact that in 17 years as a head coach, Painter has only made it to the Elite 8, while Stevens in only 6 years at a mid major like Butler, guided them to two runner-up finishes. They're not even in the same universe in terms of coaching chops.

Reactions: 76-1
I blocked that clown ages ago, but if that's literally what he said, that could be the single dumbest post of his life, which is a really low bar. A statement that can easily be refuted by the fact that in 17 years as a head coach, Painter has only made it to the Elite 8, while Stevens in only 6 years at a mid major like Butler, guided them to two runner-up finishes. They're not even in the same universe in terms of coaching chops.
He said Stevens will “enjoy working for Painter. Archie didn’t like it so much”.

Coming into this coaching search, I thought it was going to be really funny to see him try to tear down guys like Stevens and Beard. He didn’t disappoint lol.

Reactions: Birnk403
He said Stevens will “enjoy working for Painter. Archie didn’t like it so much”.

Coming into this coaching search, I thought it was going to be really funny to see him try to tear down guys like Stevens and Beard. He didn’t disappoint lol.
I also said you were abjectly stupid. Please include all of the facts.

He might need it, but it might only be restricted to other pro programs. Doubt it’s enforceable beyond the practical issue of a contractual buyout anyway, which is the material issue. It would be BS’s rep who would solicit offers anyway, which is why only a buyout matters.

No, non-competes and non-solicits are enforceable in every jurisdiction subject to various restrictions on scope, duration, etc.--California excepted but such restrictions are enforceable in California in much more limited circumstances. I assure you attorneys are more than smart enough to include representatives and agents acting on one's behalf w/in the scope of such provisions. Whether you can prove non-compliance or, perhaps more accurately, are the damages you could obtain worth the effort of enforcement, is another question. However, the prudent course would be to obtain consent, which is often given because professional services contracts generally contain liquidated damages and other pre-negotiated remedies w/r/t such situation. I am not just some putz who got my JD from the University of Law and Order school of Law. My current billing rate is $1425/hour, which suggests the market believes I know something about contracts. Admittedly, I have never reviewed an NBA coach's contract, but I have reviewed more than a few employment contracts of c-suite officers of large publicly traded companies so I have a pretty good idea about what kind of limitations would be included. Not saying they are not talking. Just saying that if it went beyond a discussion between intermediaries taking his temperature, they almost certainly formally requested permission.

No, non-competes and non-solicits are enforceable in every jurisdiction subject to various restrictions on scope, duration, etc.--California excepted but such restrictions are enforceable in California in much more limited circumstances. I assure you attorneys are more than smart enough to include representatives and agents acting on one's behalf w/in the scope of such provisions. Whether you can prove non-compliance or, perhaps more accurately, are the damages you could obtain worth the effort of enforcement, is another question. However, the prudent course would be to obtain consent, which is often given because professional services contracts generally contain liquidated damages and other pre-negotiated remedies w/r/t such situation. I am not just some putz who got my JD from the University of Law and Order school of Law. My current billing rate is $1425/hour, which suggests the market believes I know something about contracts. Admittedly, I have never reviewed an NBA coach's contract, but I have reviewed more than a few employment contracts of c-suite officers of large publicly traded companies so I have a pretty good idea about what kind of limitations would be included. Not saying they are not talking. Just saying that if it went beyond a discussion between intermediaries taking his temperature, they almost certainly formally requested permission.
Then no one would ever leave. You claimed he needed permission to talk, now you’re saying they may be talking. . Presume you have the contract in hand, right? If not, you’re vastly overpaid. This isn’t the C suite, either.

Then no one would ever leave. You claimed he needed permission to talk, now you’re saying they may be talking. . Presume you have the contract in hand, right? If not, you’re vastly overpaid. This isn’t the C suite, either.

Neither logic nor reading comprehension is your strong suit is it? Before shooting off your mouth, you might want to think about your brilliant retort for just a second. If you could break a contract at will, why would anyone ever bother to take the time to negotiate and sign one??? If your truly brilliant analysis is correct, why does Tom Brady not just sign with a new team every year and just ignore those pesky additional years on his contract? If your analysis is correct, he can just tear up his contract and sign a new one whenever he wants. Oh, your analysis only applies to coaches, because the CBA creates pesky rules about breach of contract? That's called differentiation, it is some of that thinking like a lawyer stuff that people with a JD learn in law school. Hmm, then why does ESPN routinely run stories about both professional and college teams seeking permission to speak to a coach or GM who is under contract to another team/university? Of course, they are just unsophisticated clowns who get legal advice from people with actual JDs and who have been admitted to the bar, when they should be consulting a legal savant like yourself. How silly of me. Thank goodness we have the ABA and all its lobbyists who spread the cash around at state houses to ensure that those pesky licensing requirements remain in place to keep obvious once in a generation legal minds like your's from practicing law.

And, buddy, if you actually read what I said, I said if the conversations progressed beyond an indirect approach to gauge his interest, they almost certainly would have made a formal request. It is how sophisticated parties conduct business. But, kudos for trying to set up a strawman to attack; however, you loose points on the execution, because I am pretty sure most folks with basic analytical skills would have seen the issue with your brilliant argument that "no one would ever leave". Clearly, you have not heard about this revolutionary new concept that is all the rage in contracts called a termination date, maturity date, expiration date, term, etc. They are these mind blowing provisions in contracts that provide that after a certain term the contract expires. Thank God some legal genius like yourself (was it you?) came up with such a concept. The first time I heard that contracts could include provisions making them non-perpetual in nature my mind almost exploded. What will they come up with next? Next you will be telling me the earth revolves around the sun.

p.s. Message board Blackstone, if you look in the compiled statutes of any state, you are not going to find a section called sports contracts. Contract law is contract law. There may be industry specific provisions (FCPA, ERISA, KYC, etc.), but the general tenants are the same. As such, the boilerplate in employment contracts for an NBA coach and a CEO is going to be more or less the same. So, yes, c-suite employment contracts are a relevant data point. It is called arguing by analogy. It is another one of those thinking like a lawyer things you learn in law school. It is even used before the USSC to argue that the court should apply its precedent in one area to a similar area.

Last edited:
Neither logic nor reading comprehension is your strong suit is it? Before shooting off your mouth, you might want to think about your brilliant retort for just a second. If you could break a contract at will, why would anyone ever bother to take the time to negotiate and sign one??? If your truly brilliant analysis is correct, why does Tom Brady not just sign with a new team every year and just ignore those pesky additional years on his contract? If your analysis is correct, he can just tear up his contract and sign a new one whenever he wants. Oh, your analysis only applies to coaches, because the CBA creates pesky rules about breach of contract? That's called differentiation, it is some of that thinking like a lawyer stuff that people with a JD learn in law school. Hmm, then why does ESPN routinely run stories about both professional and college teams seeking permission to speak to a coach or GM who is under contract to another team/university? Of course, they are just unsophisticated clowns who get legal advice from people with actual JDs and who have been admitted to the bar, when they should be consulting a legal savant like yourself. How silly of me. Thank goodness we have the ABA and all its lobbyists who spread the cash around at state houses to ensure that those pesky licensing requirements remain in place to keep obvious once in a generation legal minds like yours from practicing law.

And, buddy, if you actually read what I said, I said if the conversations progressed beyond an indirect approach to gauge his interest, they almost certainly would have made a formal request. It is how sophisticated parties conduct business. But, kudos for trying to set up a strawman to attack; however, you loose points on the execution, because I am pretty sure most folks with basic analytical skills would have seen the issue with your brilliant argument that "no one would ever leave". Clearly, you have not heard about this revolutionary new concept that is all the rage in contracts called a termination date, maturity date, expiration date, term, etc. They are these mind blowing provisions in contracts that provide that after a certain term the contract expires. Thank God some legal genius like yourself (was it you?) came up with such a concept. The first time I heard that contracts could include provisions making them non-perpetual in nature my mind almost exploded. What will they come up with next? Next you will be telling me the earth revolves around the sun.

p.s. Message board Blackstone, if you look in the compiled statutes of any state, you are not going to find a section called sports contracts. Contract law is contract law. There may be industry specific provisions (FCPA, ERISA, KYC, etc.), but the general tenants are the same. As such, the boilerplate in employment contracts for an NBA coach and a CEO is going to be more or less the same. So, yes, c-suite employment contracts are a relevant data point. It is called arguing by analogy. It is another one of those thinking like a lawyer things you learn in law school. It is even used before the USSC to argue that the court should apply its precedent in one area to a similar area.
A wordy reply from someone who tried to impress by quoting his alleged hourly rate! You said Stevens needed permission to talk to IU, and you don’t have any idea about that. None. Your continual changing of the subject makes that clear. No one would “loose points” talking to you, by the way. Lastly, no one billing out at $425 would spend this amount of time pontificating on a subject of which he knows so little. If you were actually practicing, this alone would constitute malpractice. Pull to the side, sport. Hope your fourth post is more substantive than your first three. Glad you could join the site, though. Lol

Neither logic nor reading comprehension is your strong suit is it? Before shooting off your mouth, you might want to think about your brilliant retort for just a second. If you could break a contract at will, why would anyone ever bother to take the time to negotiate and sign one??? If your truly brilliant analysis is correct, why does Tom Brady not just sign with a new team every year and just ignore those pesky additional years on his contract? If your analysis is correct, he can just tear up his contract and sign a new one whenever he wants. Oh, your analysis only applies to coaches, because the CBA creates pesky rules about breach of contract? That's called differentiation, it is some of that thinking like a lawyer stuff that people with a JD learn in law school. Hmm, then why does ESPN routinely run stories about both professional and college teams seeking permission to speak to a coach or GM who is under contract to another team/university? Of course, they are just unsophisticated clowns who get legal advice from people with actual JDs and who have been admitted to the bar, when they should be consulting a legal savant like yourself. How silly of me. Thank goodness we have the ABA and all its lobbyists who spread the cash around at state houses to ensure that those pesky licensing requirements remain in place to keep obvious once in a generation legal minds like yours from practicing law.

This is what us “not so bright” guys calls a Bitchslap! Lmao!

Ordy is just nervous right now and his usual self-promoting anti-IU drivel is flowing at a faster rate. Embittered Knightophile 101.

I dono man, they’re are some pretty hot chicks at Purdue

There are hot chicks at PU. There are nasty chicks everywhere at PU

There are nasty chicks at IU. there are Hot chicks everywhere at IU.

Same assessment for restaurants, bars, cultural events, arts, live music, architecture, social events, speaker series, greek system, scenic views, future leaders etc.

Both are world-class academic and research institutions, it it just that one has a quality of student and alumni life that beats the hell out of the other.

Hope this helps.

A wordy reply from someone who tried to impress by quoting his alleged hourly rate! You said Stevens needed permission to talk to IU, and you don’t have any idea about that. None. Your continual changing of the subject makes that clear. No one would “loose points” talking to you, by the way. Lastly, no one billing out at $425 would spend this amount of time pontificating on a subject of which he knows so little. If you were actually practicing, this alone would constitute malpractice. Pull to the side, sport. Hope your fourth post is more substantive than your first three. Glad you could join the site, though. Lol

He said $1425/hour. I think he charges by the word.

Look, non compete laws vary state by state. Indiana is a pro-employer state. Or, a pro-contract state. You sign it, you meant it.

Other states have case law and provisions that are more favorable to an employee when in dispute. Items like duration, distance (geography, i.e.), etc. must be reasonable and specific (which is also the case in, say, IN, just less so).

It's been 23 years since I graduated law school and I've seen non-competes come up professionally and personally quite a bit.

Reactions: kkott and Birnk403
Life is good in boilerland? Is that a joke. You haven’t really won anything this entire time we’ve had Archie. Big ten? No. Final four? No. And you just lost your head coach to Penn State.
They don’t care about any of those things. Haven’t you heard, they beat IU 4 years in a row.😂

That's the difference between you and me. You spend your time reveling in all the great things that IU did 40 years ago and I enjoyed the things Purdue did, when they did them. Now, I'm more interested in all the great things that Purdue is going to do in the future and the future looks very bright.
Yet you can’t stop thinking about IU...

• Haha
Reactions: russelltodd
Neither logic nor reading comprehension is your strong suit is it? Before shooting off your mouth, you might want to think about your brilliant retort for just a second. If you could break a contract at will, why would anyone ever bother to take the time to negotiate and sign one??? If your truly brilliant analysis is correct, why does Tom Brady not just sign with a new team every year and just ignore those pesky additional years on his contract? If your analysis is correct, he can just tear up his contract and sign a new one whenever he wants. Oh, your analysis only applies to coaches, because the CBA creates pesky rules about breach of contract? That's called differentiation, it is some of that thinking like a lawyer stuff that people with a JD learn in law school. Hmm, then why does ESPN routinely run stories about both professional and college teams seeking permission to speak to a coach or GM who is under contract to another team/university? Of course, they are just unsophisticated clowns who get legal advice from people with actual JDs and who have been admitted to the bar, when they should be consulting a legal savant like yourself. How silly of me. Thank goodness we have the ABA and all its lobbyists who spread the cash around at state houses to ensure that those pesky licensing requirements remain in place to keep obvious once in a generation legal minds like your's from practicing law.

You are talking to a turnip. How much time did you waste on this?

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
An 8 year,64 million contract sounds right. I can't say if he bites but to get out Boston would be worth that. Bring in 3 really good assistants and IU will be elevated in 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT