ADVERTISEMENT

Bowls

As long as we play Notre Dame im good! Looks like a possible high scoring matchup cuz both teams have no defense!

We have to hope that the Big Ten gets 3 in the NY6.

Otherwise, we're looking at Pinstripe or Motor City.

There's no chance we go to Motor City bowl or Pinstripe at 8-4. Motor City will go to MSU or Illinois and Pinstripe won't pick IU because we were just in that game 3 years ago. It will be Music City or Gator bowl.

There's no chance we go to Motor City bowl or Pinstripe at 8-4. Motor City will go to MSU or Illinois and Pinstripe won't pick IU because we were just in that game 3 years ago. It will be Music City or Gator bowl.
I agree. Zach Osterman laid it out pretty well on the podcast...saying just that.

TomT

Reactions: trailrunner
Hope so. Would need 3 Big Ten teams in the NY6 and would need to get picked over an MSU team that beat us.

CFP - OSU
Rose - Wisconsin
Orange - Penn State
Citrus - Iowa
Outback - Minnesota
Holiday - Michigan
Gator - Indiana
Pinstripe - MSU
Redbox - Illinois

My fear is Penn State doesn't get into a NY6 bowl, which drops us to Pinstripe or worse.

Me too, but I think the ship on Florida sailed when we lost to Michigan. And Nashville I still think is a pipe dream unless they and the B1G work something out, since they can’t technically take us under the terms of the current deal.
The MCB had reps at the Michigan game I believe.

The MCB had reps at the Michigan game I believe.
Yes, but they still have to work something out with the conference. The MCB isn't under the B1G's rotation of bowls this year (they get a B1G team 3 out of 6 years ending this year, and they've already taken 3--so technically they can't take us).

Obviously they'd love us to be there, but it's not totally up to them.

Yes, but they still have to work something out with the conference. The MCB isn't under the B1G's rotation of bowls this year (they get a B1G team 3 out of 6 years ending this year, and they've already taken 3).
From what I've read that's not hard and fast.

Me too, but I think the ship on Florida sailed when we lost to Michigan. And Nashville I still think is a pipe dream unless they and the B1G work something out, since they can’t technically take us under the terms of the current deal.

Maybe, but unless they're screwing with us, MCB tweeted about the Bucket game today.

Maybe, but unless they're screwing with us, MCB tweeted about the Bucket game today.
See above. The conference makes the final assignment. It wouldn't be a good look to move us to a non-B1G tie-in and have one of our tie-ins have to take a non-B1G team just so we can go to Nashville.

See above. The conference makes the final assignment. It wouldn't be a good look to move us to a non-B1G tie-in and have one of our tie-ins have to take a non-B1G team just so we can go to Nashville.

Not saying the conference won't have a say (maybe they already have?) but it is. B1G tie in Bowl and the fact that they have already met the quota doesn't mean they cant take one necessarily.

I still say IU is attractive to the Florida bowls due to the large number of IU players originating from FL high schools. Nashville would certainly pack the house with an IU vs UK draw but I think the Gator could trump them based on my first point.

Not saying the conference won't have a say (maybe they already have?) but it is. B1G tie in Bowl and the fact that they have already met the quota doesn't mean they cant take one necessarily.
It isn't this year--that's the issue. That's why the MCB and the conference have to work something out if they want Indiana. The official tie-ins are detailed above, but I'll repost:

CFP
Rose
Orange (if qualified, otherwise everyone moves one step down)
Citrus
Outback
Holiday
Gator (they replace the MCB)
Pinstripe
Redbox
Quick Lane

It isn't this year--that's the issue. That's why the MCB and the conference have to work something out if they want Indiana. The official tie-ins are detailed above, but I'll repost:

CFP
Rose
Orange (if qualified, otherwise everyone moves one step down)
Citrus
Outback
Holiday
Gator (they replace the MCB)
Pinstripe
Redbox
Quick Lane
From wikipedia:
Beginning in 2014, the Music City Bowl shares its tie in with the Gator Bowl; the Music City Bowl receives second choice of either an ACC or Big Ten team.

After seeing Osterman's stories, I now get why the MCB is in play and why the RedBox is likely out (MSU and ILL will get the two lowest bowls since they can't jump us).

So it looks like one of Music City, Gator or Pinstripe for us.

From wikipedia:
Beginning in 2014, the Music City Bowl shares its tie in with the Gator Bowl; the Music City Bowl receives second choice of either an ACC or Big Ten team.
That assumes the Gator doesn't take a B1G team, though (which they likely will--I think they'll end up with MICH or possibly MINN). I don't think the Gator and the Music City can each take a B1G team--one has to take an ACC team unless there aren't enough qualifying teams.

Yes - you sir are correct. IU winning today was a huge boost for bowl destination. If they are bright enough, they put a 6-6 MSU team in Detroit to get fans. Illinois could be Pin Stripe or Redbox.

IU played the Redbox Bowl (formerly Fosters Farm) against an 8 win Utah team and it was a damn good game. Evenly matched.

I think an 8 win team gets moved up the pecking order.

Reactions: DGJRieman
Yes - you sir are correct. IU winning today was a huge boost for bowl destination. If they are bright enough, they put a 6-6 MSU team in Detroit to get fans. Illinois could be Pin Stripe or Redbox.

IU played the Redbox Bowl (formerly Fosters Farm) against an 8 win Utah team and it was a damn good game. Evenly matched.

I think an 8 win team gets moved up the pecking order.
ILL can't jump us to get to the Pinstripe (NW's win over them put them at 6-6 and we have two more wins). Pinstripe is the worst we can do.

After seeing Osterman's stories, I now get why the MCB is in play and why the RedBox is likely out (MSU and ILL will get the two lowest bowls since they can't jump us).

So it looks like one of Music City, Gator or Pinstripe for us.

That assumes the Gator doesn't take a B1G team, though (which they likely will--I think they'll end up with MICH or possibly MINN). I don't think the Gator and the Music City can each take a B1G team--one has to take an ACC team unless there aren't enough qualifying teams.

There are a lot of moving parts but I think the MCB knows something and I think it's our most likely destination.

Reactions: iulb and UncleMark
Gator on Jan 2nd is the only bowl I can’t attend due to having to be back at work. Selfishly I’d love MCB or any other bowl (maybe not Redbox either due to cost of flights from Philly). Oh well, great to have these problems after years of no bowl games at all.

Reactions: hometownfan
I would definitely not go to PinStripe - but would definitely watch on TV w a stacked bloody mary...

We snuck into Pinstripe a few years ago w barely 6 wins...would feel dirty to get back there again after 8

No way we play in the Motor City bowl. They'll take MSU before they take us - our record is better than theirs and they'll have to go there.

I'd go back to the Pinstripe Bowl - it was a great experience, except the kick was good.

Reactions: hoosier8760
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT