ADVERTISEMENT

Boiler...

I don't know if PU fans would trade what they have now for our 5 banners from 40-80 years ago. I'm not being glib, either. I honestly don't know.

All they want is 1 modern NCAA bball title. Hope springs eternal and I bet they feel they're still close, which they are.

The people most impressed by our 5 banners are us.
I understand your point and it's worthy of consideration. But I was hearing conversations last week leading into the Final Four about blue blood programs and this morning conversation about where the UK job ranks in the landscape. And while UCONN has clearly surpassed Indiana in the basketball hierarchy, probably some time ago, those 5 banners mean enough that we're still in those conversations, even if it's debating whether we still belong there or not. Purdue wasn't mentioned once in any of those conversations.

Although, I'm not sure what that gets you...respect, to an extent, I guess. But it's not respect for what you're doing, it's for what you did.

I don't know if PU fans would trade what they have now for our 5 banners from 40-80 years ago. I'm not being glib, either. I honestly don't know.

All they want is 1 modern NCAA bball title. Hope springs eternal and I bet they feel they're still close, which they are.

The people most impressed by our 5 banners are us.

It's this.

IU's banners are as relevant to young Purdue fans as Minnesota's or Nebraska's football titles from yesteryear.

You must be 45 or older (which I am) to have any real memory of any of those banners, and anyone 25 or younger wouldn't have much of a reason to choose IU other than they grew up with their family telling them to do so. For almost the last decade, the narrative has been reversed between the two programs, and it looks like that is set to continue.

The good news is that IU is 22 years removed from its last Final Four, so if and when it makes its next run, most of the fan base will appreciate it just as much as Purdue did this one. But I'm sure some older fans will think the season was a total waste unless they add a banner and won't be able to see the forest through the trees.

Purdue fans are grateful to have the FF drought behind us. We appreciate the continued runs in March (five S16s, two E8, one FF, and one national runner-up in the last seven tournaments). We like winning the B1G over and over again. We like having winning records against every other B1G program. We like dominating demanding non-conference schedules. We enjoy having a coach and program that has built and accomplished all this while having the highest character and always doing things the right way.

And the future remains bright. Anyone who thinks this is our only shot hasn't been paying attention. The glass ceiling was broken this year. I think most of the fan base is confident we'll be reloading and making another run sooner than most others expect.

Last edited:
It's this.

IU's banners are as relevant to young Purdue fans as Minnesota's or Nebraska's football titles from yesteryear.

You must be 45 or older (which I am) to have any real memory of any of those banners, and anyone 25 or younger wouldn't have much of a reason to choose IU other than they grew up with their family telling them to do so. For almost the last decade, the narrative has been reversed between the two programs, and it looks like that is set to continue.

The good news is that IU is 22 years removed from its last Final Four, so if and when it makes its next run, most of the fan base will appreciate it just as much as Purdue did this one. But I'm sure some older fans will think the season was a total waste unless they add a banner and won't be able to see the forest through the trees.

Purdue fans are grateful to have the FF drought behind us. We appreciate the continued runs in March (five S16s, one E8, one FF, and one national runner-up in the last seven tournaments). We like winning the B1G over and over again. We like having winning records against every other B1G program. We like dominating demanding non-conference schedules. We enjoy having a coach and program that has built and accomplished all this while having the highest character and always doing things the right way.

And the future remains bright. Anyone who thinks this is our only shot hasn't been paying attention. The glass ceiling was broken this year. I think most of the fan base is confident we'll be reloading and making another run sooner than most others expect.
This was your shot. Purdue is a fine program, but unless Painter births another unicorn like Edey, they're just a nice team that generally underwhelms in March. Has for the entirety of his career, save this year (bc of the unicorn). I'll be shocked if Purdue makes another FF in the next 20 years. And to be fair, I don't think Indiana wins another title in the next 20-25 years, but I do think we'll get back to the final four in that time...just not with this coach.

It's this.

Purdue fans are grateful to have the FF drought behind us. We appreciate the continued runs in March (five S16s, one E8, one FF, and one national runner-up in the last seven tournaments). We like winning the B1G over and over again. We like having winning records against every other B1G program. We like dominating demanding non-conference schedules. We enjoy having a coach and program that has built and accomplished all this while having the highest character and always doing things the right way.

And yet you'd love to have 5 banners , anyone would.

Reactions: Willray and Al Bino
This was your shot. Purdue is a fine program, but unless Painter births another unicorn like Edey, they're just a nice team that generally underwhelms in March. Has for the entirety of his career, save this year (bc of the unicorn). I'll be shocked if Purdue makes another FF in the next 20 years. And to be fair, I don't think Indiana wins another title in the next 20-25 years, but I do think we'll get back to the final four in that time...just not with this coach.

This was a shot, and Edey is a generational talent, but he's not the only generational talent Purdue has had. We get one every generation. Mount. Robinson. Edey.

But Purdue has had other shots without that level of talent. Baby Boilers would have been a 1 seed. 1987 was a real opportunity that didn't pan out, and it went your way. 2019 was a fraction of a second away. We beat UVA, and I think we would have been playing for a Natty that year.

In the last decade, we've come up short for a variety of reasons. This year was our best shot, but it won't be our last. We ran into an all-decade team last night and were beaten.

But it's March. Anything can happen, and in most years the unexpected does.

If this was Purdue's shot, what hope would IU have? Is it hoping the ghosts of McKracken and Knight are going to come back and carry a future team to a title? I don't believe this was Purdue's last shot any more than I believe IU won't get another shot at some point.

i still think they will be pretty good they have painter and lose nobody else really.
I saw even last night every Poo player that posted up(not just Edey) tried to use their elbow to clear out! This means Painter is teaching them to do this on purpose since they’ve been getting away with it all year! The NCAA needs to step in on this and force them to stop with teaching this, or make it a focal point for refs to start calling these fouls instead of letting it go! It doesnt belong in the game!

eh "love" banners? No.

I would have loved the memories of the seasons and the tournament runs if I was old enough to experience them all. Too many IU fans have fallen in love with a piece of fabric, while most of them don't even have a recollection of one of the banners.

Honestly, IU and its banner talk have gone from something to brag about (in the 90s and early 2000s) to now being more of an Uncle Rico "back in 84" Napolean Dynamite joke at this point.

It's not as relevant as IU fans would like to think it is. It becomes less so every year, and as the media and talking heads begin to cycle over and the next generation takes over, there won't be many in the business who remember IU being anything other than a program (like Georgetown or Depaul) that used to have great success.

UCONN beat IU by 20 this season? Not sure IU fans have anything to rag on PU about. They just won the Big Ten by more than one game, for the second year in a row.

Maybe IU should do something relevant in the last ten years, then you can rag on PU.

I’m picturing building a roster without Woody. One that actually cares about the name on the jersey.
That will happen next season with the coaching carousel. Woody’s future is a forgone conclusion. People thinking he is going to magically turn things around haven’t been paying close attention.

Reactions: bsmitty08
eh "love" banners? No.

I would have loved the memories of the seasons and the tournament runs if I was old enough to experience them all. Too many IU fans have fallen in love with a piece of fabric, while most of them don't even have a recollection of one of the banners.

Honestly, IU and its banner talk have gone from something to brag about (in the 90s and early 2000s) to now being more of an Uncle Rico "back in 84" Napolean Dynamite joke at this point.

It's not as relevant as IU fans would like to think it is. It becomes less so every year, and as the media and talking heads begin to cycle over and the next generation takes over, there won't be many in the business who remember IU being anything other than a program (like Georgetown or Depaul) that used to have great success.
And how often are Gtown, Depaul, and MN and NB football on national games? That's what rankles you guys and why you come here: it drives you crazy with all the success you're having and how down IU is, we still get national attention, games and notoriety. I get it, it would piss me off too!

And how often are Gtown, Depaul, and MN and NB football on national games? That's what rankles you guys and why you come here: it drives you crazy with all the success you're having and how down IU is, we still get national attention, games and notoriety. I get it, it would piss me off too!
We should be the ones pissed. The tradition, resources, notoriety, money, etc…and still a turbulent program. IU has gotten away from its roots in how it recruits. PU has dove head first into that and look at the difference

UCONN beat IU by 20 this season? Not sure IU fans have anything to rag on PU about. They just won the Big Ten by more than one game, for the second year in a row.

Maybe IU should do something relevant in the last ten years, then you can rag on PU.
Eh….this is an IU message board. House rules.

And, IU can maybe get back in the game but only with a new coach.

Now that all this basketball nonsense is out of the way and Purdue ended where we did 22 years ago, time to focus on the oblong ball.

Reactions: Al Bino

The banners are great but the desire to get something new/current going (for 20 years now) occupies my mind way more than old banners.

There probably are some PU fans who would take the banners and start from scratch.

i look at my old IU stuff on my desk (1976 7up bottle; 1987 leather mini bball; 1981 mug) and it doesn't make me feel all that great. Makes me feel old. Makes IU bball seem like a dead loved one.

I may trade a banner in for Brad Stevens, now that I think about it.

The banners are great but the desire to get something new/current going (for 20 years now) occupies my mind way more than old banners.

There probably are some PU fans who would take the banners and start from scratch.

i look at my old IU stuff on my desk (1976 7up bottle; 1987 leather mini bball; 1981 mug) and it doesn't make me feel all that great. Makes me feel old. Makes IU bball seem like a dead loved one.

I agree. Those items are just trinkets and if they make you depressed looking at them, you need to clear the desk and take them out in the parking lot and burn them. You could even send them to downtown Tehran where they incinerate American items daily.

I agree. Those items are just trinkets and if they make you depressed looking at them, you need to clear the desk and take them out in the parking lot and burn them. You could even send them to downtown Tehran where they incinerate American items daily.

Can't live in the past, is all I'm saying. Not hating on IU or America.

Besides, everything's a trinket, aside from the One Ring.

eh "love" banners? No.

That's your pea brained opinion. Yet we receive more national attention and tv than pu does even in our down years . I am lucky enough to have watched 3 of them and it was awesome!!😃

You guys are talking about whether it's better to be a perennial top 10 program/conference title contender or a team that doesn;t make the tourney more often than making it.

I'll take the former and the pain that comes w it over being what we are the passed 20 years.
If we're only allowed to talk about teams we're better than this board would be dead as hell.

Smith, Gillis, Furst, Colvin I would take on our roster in a heart beat.
Loyer has a role when teams have no choice but to double team.
Gillis averaged 6 points a game as a senior and Furst has done absolutely positively nothing so far in his career. Colvin might be good down the road but again, 3 points and less than 1 assist a game.

Look we know you're a Purdue fan, but let's try to make it a little less obvious.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Gillis averaged 6 points a game as a senior and Furst has done absolutely positively nothing so far in his career. Colvin might be good down the road but again, 3 points and less than 1 assist a game.

Look we know you're a Purdue fan, but let's try to make it a little less obvious.
I’m not a PU can but you can’t tell me you wouldn’t want Gillis as your 6th man over Walker or Gunn. Heck he shot 46% from 3. Furst has talent…woody can coach bigs.
Colvin will be good.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
I’m not a PU can but you can’t tell me you wouldn’t want Gillis as your 6th man over Walker or Gunn. Heck he shot 46% from 3. Furst has talent…woody can coach bigs.
Colvin will be good.
Isn't Gillis graduating? Is Furst going to come off the bench to spell MR or MM? Look I don't deny that we need more talent, but those guys aren't the difference makers IU needs.

Purdue was great because of Zach Edey, now he's gone.

Also
Isn't Gillis graduating? Is Furst going to come off the bench to spell MR or MM? Look I don't deny that we need more talent, but those guys aren't the difference makers IU needs.

Purdue was great because of Zach Edey, now he's gone.
I’m not saying take Gillis. He is out of eligibility. I’m saying he is the type of kid IU needs off the bench. Tough hard nosed kid that can shoot. He made more threes than anyone on our roster this year.
Furst, yes could be a nice backup at the 4.also talent is awesome to have but talent gets coaches fired, you need to build a team that guys fill roles and play for a common goal. Iu “appears” to recruit individuals that do not play as a team…then have chemistry issues.

That's your pea brained opinion. Yet we receive more national attention and tv than pu does even in our down years . I am lucky enough to have watched 3 of them and it was awesome!!😃

That is cool that you got to watch 3. I would have loved that.

It is honestly laughable that you think IU gets more national attention and TV than Purdue does.

What the hell does that even mean anymore? TV and media isn't in the 1980s or 1990s.

Purdue has been getting more national coverage than IU for years. Mainly because media likes to talk about relevant teams and IU simply hasn't been relevant nationally in the last 7+ years at all. You do get Goodman to talk about you because his daughter is a student... So kudos.

Im here because I care about IU simply because I live in Indiana and have a lot of friends who are still IU fans. So IU has personal relevance to me and most here.

But if you think IU is still getting more coverage in the present... I feel bad for you. You really have been living in a bubble of the past.

Wtf is a "national" game in basketball in 2024?

CBS only? Fox? FS1? BTN? ESPN? Peacock?

Every game was on one of those. All available nationally.

Is it nationally televised MTEs? NCAA March games? Premier non conference match ups? Games with B1G championship implications? BTT tournament championship games?

Because Purdue has a laundry list of all of those too. All of which have had premier coverage, views, recaps on related talking head shows etc.

You really have an inflated view of how IU is currently viewed nationally.

IU can become relevant again. But they have to actually win some games of importance. Getting blown out by 15+ in so many meaningful games year after year here isn't really helping the cause.

Is it nationally televised MTEs? NCAA March games? Premier non conference match ups? Games with B1G championship implications? BTT tournament championship games?

Because Purdue has a laundry list of all of those too. All of which have had premier coverage, views, recaps on related talking head shows etc.

IU can become relevant again. But they have to actually win some games of importance. Getting blown out by 15+ in so many meaningful games year after year here isn't really helping the cause.
And yet, you are here!

Makes me feel like the older generation UCLA fans. All the 5 banner talk reminds me of the guy whose best days were in high school. Time to be relevant nationally again. Finally became relevant in Indiana last season with the sweep.

Reactions: BleedinGold
And yet, you are here!

I already have said why I'm here. I have to repeat it a lot, though, because it's having a hard time getting through to some.

But I do appreciate you elevating the importance of my presence and equating that as validation for how IU is still relevant nationally. Glad to know you think so highly of myself and other Purdue fans.

CBS/FOX
ESPN
ESPN2/FS1
BTN
Peacock

Pretty much the hierarchy in terms of viewers, though Peacock had some of the highest profile games in order to build their audience.

That is cool that you got to watch 3. I would have loved that.

It is honestly laughable that you think IU gets more national attention and TV than Purdue does.

What the hell does that even mean anymore? TV and media isn't in the 1980s or 1990s.

Purdue has been getting more national coverage than IU for years. Mainly because media likes to talk about relevant teams and IU simply hasn't been relevant nationally in the last 7+ years at all. You do get Goodman to talk about you because his daughter is a student... So kudos.

Im here because I care about IU simply because I live in Indiana and have a lot of friends who are still IU fans. So IU has personal relevance to me and most here.

But if you think IU is still getting more coverage in the present... I feel bad for you. You really have been living in a bubble of the past.
Think what you want but it's true, still considered by many as a blue blood, pu uh no.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedinGold
Think what you want but it's true, still considered by many as a blue blood, pu uh no.

I know time moves by faster as we age but ita a shame you've lost perspective of it. I'm happy that you have the memories of the past to cling to, and that seems to be enough for you.

Sadly is also this same attitude that has permeated the IU administration and is why IU is where they are right now.

I mean if you are still a blue blood and nationally relevant and everything then no urgency needed to right the ship. Just keep the status quo right? Keep the "glory days" going!

Results be damned of the last 30 years....

CBS/FOX
ESPN
ESPN2/FS1
BTN
Peacock

Pretty much the hierarchy in terms of viewers, though Peacock had some of the highest profile games in order to build their audience.

I agree.

So every B1G and SEC team is nationally relevant based on TV contracts and game exposure....

The only thing that separates these teams now as far as coverage goes are the results on the court, and who is being talked about before games, after games, and during quiet periods.

Anyone who is paying attention and thinks that IU is outpacing Purdue or many other programs right now in the last decade in "national" exposure is pretty delusional and clinging to what IU once was and not what the last 20 years of results have shown IU is.

Most IU fans have let go of the superiority complex, and have let reality set in. Heck that reality is what many IU fans only know....

The quicker the remaining old timers can get on board and recognize that IU needs to stop clinging to it's history and start building a future.... The better for the program.

Be proud of what was accomplished 35-80 years ago. But also accept reality that isn't IU anymore.

As soon as the old timers and the administration recognizes the better it will be for IU. Otherwise this misery will continue until that generation dies out ... But that would be a shame.

I agree.

So every B1G and SEC team is nationally relevant based on TV contracts and game exposure....

The only thing that separates these teams now as far as coverage goes are the results on the court, and who is being talked about before games, after games, and during quiet periods.

Anyone who is paying attention and thinks that IU is outpacing Purdue or many other programs right now in the last decade in "national" exposure is pretty delusional and clinging to what IU once was and not what the last 20 years of results have shown IU is.

Most IU fans have let go of the superiority complex, and have let reality set in. Heck that reality is what many IU fans only know....

The quicker the remaining old timers can get on board and recognize that IU needs to stop clinging to it's history and start building a future.... The better for the program.

Be proud of what was accomplished 35-80 years ago. But also accept reality that isn't IU anymore.

As soon as the old timers and the administration recognizes the better it will be for IU. Otherwise this misery will continue until that generation dies out ... But that would be a shame.
let me help you: STFU. You don't come here to discuss bball, you come here to troll and put IU down and promote PU, which as a PU fan is fine, but should be done on a Purdue site. I don't think anyone believes IU is outpacing Purdue right now, but there's also no doubt we get a lot more "love" from the media and networks than we deserve based on any current results, and have a terrific following, again relative to our "sucksess". We all saw what happened to PU when you were as down as we are (or worse) and it wasn't pretty... 6K attendance, no midnight madness, etc... IU fans have supported our program INFINITELY better than PU fans did, and we've had a far longer swoon.

What I define as national attention are national games on the primary networks, including ESPN and Fox's main channels. I live in Charlotte, CBS isn't carrying our games in Charlotte if they don't consider us a name program, and that means they consider it their "national" game. I've watched plenty of infomercials and holiday specials when we were on the schedule, but not the national game. Don't think I saw a single NB or MN game all year here on those channels. I don't know if they carried more IU games on those outlets than PU, but I do know it was way closer than it should have been. If you want to believe they're doing that based on reputation, that's fine for your and your PU buddies to smirk about, but we all know it's because it brings them $$.

Last edited:
I agree.

Give me a break w all this. You hate IU so bad, you can't see straight. Just like 75% of PU fans.

It's not the same for IU fans. We don't "hate" PU in such a manner. We don't chant PU sucks during games against teams that aren't PU, but maybe we should.

Because PU fans such as you do suck. Smarmy, condescending...yet cowardly in real life where I'm sure a convo w you would be very patronizing yet full of "but I used to be an IU fan when I was growing up..." assurances so as to not deny the obvious: IU has titles; PU doesn't.

I jumped on board the PU train this March (to the extent an IU fan can) bc I'm a softy who wants to see my PU fam and friends get this monkey of their backs. But then I hear guys like you, and I'm like "no wonder they made fun of Purdue in Rudy and Judgement Night".

You come here like you won something. IU being bad is not winning anything. Only to PU fans.

This was a shot, and Edey is a generational talent, but he's not the only generational talent Purdue has had. We get one every generation. Mount. Robinson. Edey.

But Purdue has had other shots without that level of talent. Baby Boilers would have been a 1 seed. 1987 was a real opportunity that didn't pan out, and it went your way. 2019 was a fraction of a second away. We beat UVA, and I think we would have been playing for a Natty that year.

In the last decade, we've come up short for a variety of reasons. This year was our best shot, but it won't be our last. We ran into an all-decade team last night and were beaten.

But it's March. Anything can happen, and in most years the unexpected does.

If this was Purdue's shot, what hope would IU have? Is it hoping the ghosts of McKracken and Knight are going to come back and carry a future team to a title? I don't believe this was Purdue's last shot any more than I believe IU won't get another shot at some point.
IU has a much better shot at winning another NC than Purdue has of winning its first, asshat.

I saw even last night every Poo player that posted up(not just Edey) tried to use their elbow to clear out! This means Painter is teaching them to do this on purpose since they’ve been getting away with it all year! The NCAA needs to step in on this and force them to stop with teaching this, or make it a focal point for refs to start calling these fouls instead of letting it go! It doesnt belong in the game!
Didn't IU lead the nation in FLAGRANT FOULS! Please flush your 1st grade mentality!

I know time moves by faster as we age but ita a shame you've lost perspective of it. I'm happy that you have eve the memories of the past to cling to, and that seems to be enough for you.

Sadly is also this same attitude that has permeated the IU administration and is why IU is where they are right now.

I mean if you are still a blue blood and nationally relevant and everything then no urgency needed to right the ship. Just keep the status quo right? Keep the "glory days" going!

Results be damned of the last 30 years....
We are considered by many a blue blood. That's what 5 national championships gets you. Purdont never has been .... Even with the bad teams we have had we are on national tv way more than most teams . They still want us and that says a lot! Your just a jealous and bitter person and I get that ,I would be too if I was a pu fan. And I have a feeling things are about to change for us Hoosiers, go IU !!!!😃

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT