ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Maher is spot on imo on all fronts here

Wrong. You’re talking about swing voters. I’m talking about the base. The base has changed. A swing voter can go either way in a given election. Hell I’m a swing voter. The working class as I linked has realigned itself. They are the base. They are maga. That’s not a swing voter. That’s the party. Not sure why you refuse to grasp that. I don’t think you understand today’s Republican Party.

This is all in keeping with the thrust of bill Maher’s assertion re Trumpism. - that trump will go but Trumpism will still be around. This is the Republican Party. Not fickle swing voters - the base.

I don't buy it because the numbers don't back it up. There were 13% that voted for Obama in 2012 but switched and voted Trump in 2016. (And of course some Romney voters that switched to Clinton, but less).

I know a ton of Republicans. And they've been loyal Republican voters for decades. And they vote for Trump because he's the Republican. It's no surprise that he got the same % of the vote that Romney did...
These are people that will vote for the Republican nominee regardless of who it is. They will also all change messaging of what's important to them based upon whomever the GOP nominee is. I've seen it constantly. No different than loyal Dem voters.

The top of the ticket has changed messaging because of Trump sure. But also understand he needs those populist types to win a national election. These are basically rural, white voters with the lowest education achievement... And some of them switched from voting Obama to Trump in places like rural Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. But it's 23% of the party, according to Pew, and I'd say half of them are right learning regardless. But it is NOT the base. It's just a slightly different coalition than what the Romney/Bush types went after.

The true base are the 40% in that 'Faith and Flag' and 'Committed Conservative' bloc.... Those are people that will vote every single cycle, including primaries. And they are always going to vote Republican. Every time. Not the same could be said by these fickle populist types.

No, the Faith and Flag people are the most loyal voters, they don't run the party though. The Committed Conservatives do...at least in messaging (after the past few years I question a whole bunch of the party leaderships actual commitment to conservatism, but that is where their rhetoric generally is).

With Trump, the Populists are running the messaging and they have an easier time in drawing in some of those moderate Democrats because they are much more willing to tack left on economic issues. The real danger is that we haven't had a true conservative governing party at the Federal level in a long time because that is hard to do. We have had the let's go left and the let's go left but not as fast party. That is what led to Trump. Which is why I disagree with Aloha about kicking all the Trump elements out of the party. The voters want a more throaty defense of their beliefs AND they expect to see some action when the GOP has some power. Otherwise we are on the path to Europe where the "conservatives" are people like Trump, namely what used to be Democrats here about 30 years ago.

By run they party, I only mean they have the biggest bloc in primary elections and are the most loyal Republican voter. Bad wording.

No, the Faith and Flag people are the most loyal voters, they don't run the party though. The Committed Conservatives do...at least in messaging (after the past few years I question a whole bunch of the party leaderships actual commitment to conservatism, but that is where their rhetoric generally is).

With Trump, the Populists are running the messaging and they have an easier time in drawing in some of those moderate Democrats because they are much more willing to tack left on economic issues. The real danger is that we haven't had a true conservative governing party at the Federal level in a long time because that is hard to do. We have had the let's go left and the let's go left but not as fast party. That is what led to Trump. Which is why I disagree with Aloha about kicking all the Trump elements out of the party. The voters want a more throaty defense of their beliefs AND they expect to see some action when the GOP has some power. Otherwise we are on the path to Europe where the "conservatives" are people like Trump, namely what used to be Democrats here about 30 years ago.

I don't buy it because the numbers don't back it up. There were 13% that voted for Obama in 2012 but switched and voted Trump in 2016. (And of course some Romney voters that switched to Clinton, but less).

I know a ton of Republicans. And they've been loyal Republican voters for decades. And they vote for Trump because he's the Republican. It's no surprise that he got the same % of the vote that Romney did...
These are people that will vote for the Republican nominee regardless of who it is. They will also all change messaging of what's important to them based upon whomever the GOP nominee is. I've seen it constantly. No different than loyal Dem voters.

The top of the ticket has changed messaging because of Trump sure. But also understand he needs those populist types to win a national election. These are basically rural, white voters with the lowest education achievement... And some of them switched from voting Obama to Trump in places like rural Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. But it's 23% of the party, according to Pew, and I'd say half of them are right learning regardless. But it is NOT the base. It's just a slightly different coalition than what the Romney/Bush types went after.

The true base are the 40% in that 'Faith and Flag' and 'Committed Conservative' bloc.... Those are people that will vote every single cycle, including primaries. And they are always going to vote Republican. Every time. Not the same could be said by these fickle populist types.
yeah i disagree with your labeling. as i said and as set forth in the articles the base has changed for the republican party to primarily working class voters. the base has also changed with the dem party. i think there has been more movement than you are willing to acknowledge as i don't think it's the fringes. i think it's deeper.

Trumps only view is winning. The “everything is fine just continue to follow the cabal, who moved my cheese ” crowd will say he’s only interested in winning for himself. Fine if you want to continue to simply be led by the nose, and ignore that it’s leading us into oblivion. But Trump has nothing in this to win for himself. Jesus Christ, dems have tried to kill him. twice!
If it were any other country, we’d be sending in the CIA to stop this crap. But here we are, with our own CIA and swamp donkeys doing what they do, to ourselves!
Totally irresponsible.

I fit the committed conservative profile. As it says, not all will vote for Trump. I’m one of those that won’t.

• Haha
Reactions: ChicagoFineForNow
Did you see the poll where over 1 in 4 Dems say they wish he had been killed?
Link it. I bet you haven’t seen it and all you know about any poll is what a Tiny-brained Trumpster Twitter Twit told you to “think” about it. My guess without seeing it is that a percentage of them wouldn’t be terribly upset if he died - sort of like you should Nancy Pelosi died.

Did you see the poll where over 1 in 4 Dems say they wish he had been killed?

Here is a link showing a poll whereby 28% of the Dems polled wished Trump had been assassinated.

Sad commentary on today's politics.

These Dems should be ashamed of themselves..

Link it. I bet you haven’t seen it and all you know about any poll is what a Tiny-brained Trumpster Twitter Twit told you to “think” about it. My guess without seeing it is that a percentage of them wouldn’t be terribly upset if he died - sort of like you should Nancy Pelosi died.

Here is a link showing a poll whereby 28% of the Dems polled wished Trump had been assassinated.

Sad commentary on today's politics.

These Dems should be ashamed of themselves..

I'm surprised it's that much, but not that some percentage would be good with it. It's the growing incivility in this country and that many don't see the "other side" as fellow Americans with differing ideas about how to improve it, but as enemies. It's a dangerous trend.

Reactions: hoot1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT