ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Garret’s son on returning to Indiana

TomEric4756

All-Big Ten
Sep 20, 2021
It’s just amazing how storied IU BB is … Billy shook hands with his father’s statue … sent the photo to … the statue’s grandson.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/...etball-legend-bill-garrett-returns-to-indiana

In 1948, Billy's father, Bill Garrett, became the first African American to play on the Indiana varsity basketball team and in the Big Ten. Bill broke the Indiana scoring record with 792 points and was inducted into the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in 1974. In the south lobby of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall stands a statue of Bill, next to two-time national champion coach Branch McCracken.

On Wednesday, Billy and the team took a moment to see the statue and take in the history of Indiana basketball. Billy took a picture holding hands with the statue of his father, who passed away in 1974 at age 45 when Billy was just nine years old.

"I just felt like a little kid again," Billy said. "I wanted to be a kid. That's what I felt like. I don't know how to explain it. My vocabulary is not extensive enough to find the words, but it's in my heart. I love it. I love Indiana."

Billy sent the picture to his son, Billy Jr., who currently plays for Arka Gdynia of the Polish Basketball League and spent his college days at DePaul.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4IUSox2 and kmathum
I wish this had been covered more. Don Fischer barely mentioned that Billy was on the staff and never mentioned Marcus Garrett was his grandson. Maybe the family wanted it kept private until after the game?

It must have been a proud moment for their family.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT