ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 considering selling naming rights

Brewskie

Sophomore
Jun 23, 2002
so it will become the Allstate 12 or something to that effect. Won't be long before we're the Amazon Hoosiers. Nothing wrong with making money but this is getting a little out of hand. The fight for the $ is the only single principle to which is being adhered. Nothing else matters. The way it is now I guess, get on board or get left behind.

Thankfully we are sitting pretty in the B1G. The B1G has been ruthless in terms of everything that drives revenue to schools — huge TV deals, adding new schools on favorable terms, demanding a larger share of the CFB Playoff payouts, etc. I could see the B1G getting a title sponsor too — probably another $5M/yr to every B1G school if they do. Why not?

Thankfully we are sitting pretty in the B1G. The B1G has been ruthless in terms of everything that drives revenue to schools — huge TV deals, adding new schools on favorable terms, demanding a larger share of the CFB Playoff payouts, etc. I could see the B1G getting a title sponsor too — probably another $5M/yr to every B1G school if they do. Why not?
Yeah, no problem with getting as much money as possible but if the Big 10 becomes the Roto Rootin 10, that's going to be a hard pill to take, least for myself but I guess I'd get over it. Not an expert on this but since fball is the big money driver and the money seems to be skyrocketing, how long before OSU decides it wants a bigger cut of the revenue share and less for the 'smaller' fball schools within the share? That might be kind of chicken little sounding but seems it's in the realm of possibility.

Yeah, no problem with getting as much money as possible but if the Big 10 becomes the Roto Rootin 10, that's going to be a hard pill to take, least for myself but I guess I'd get over it. Not an expert on this but since fball is the big money driver and the money seems to be skyrocketing, how long before OSU decides it wants a bigger cut of the revenue share and less for the 'smaller' fball schools within the share? That might be kind of chicken little sounding but seems it's in the realm of possibility.
I’m sure that could be coming, probably when the next TV deal negotiations start (current one goes through 2029-30). I hope IUFB is better by then. If not we may need to team up with the not so great schools for bargaining power. Tbh I’m not worried about it yet.

Some of these Conferences are going to lose their identity with the Fans as they do more of this. yeah the Money is there, but if your Sponsorship Deal eventually runs out, and You find a new sponsor it can be confusing. look at how many stadiums and Arenas are on their 2nd or 3rd Sponsorship Contract. To the extent they have already lost the sense of ongoing opponent rivalries and aspects of conference History, this just adds to the murkiness and confusion.
I've said it before. We may be approaching the "NASCAR Sponsorship" point of No Return. Uniforms will be covered in advertising swatches and patches, and the Jersey Numbers will become so small, We will need to bring a Telescope to read Them.

That is not aesthetically pleasing in any way.

With that said, let's be honest... if IU were to do that now instead of waiting, we could genuinely level the financial playing field of the Ohio State's and Michigan's as that sponsorship would pay for our NIL budget. Amazon would just sponsor all sports teams. Let's start building "Bezo's Corner" now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT