ADVERTISEMENT

Best seats?

Completely stale creativity from our band department. They’ve been doing this for years. The Red Steppers were a bit risqué back in 1976. They are still around and still wearing outfits from 1976.
Exactly. Kick the Director of the 100 in the ass and demand he put a top notch show on. Make it a no job or raise proposition. Prioritize ideas for a plan to, promote, execute, evaluate, change to improve the game day experience. Don't be weak willed it'll take a while to get improved results.

Last edited:
That's a good thought. We have an elevated field scoreboard screen that multifunctional and classy. 12-16 big screens in the concourses would be an additional touch of class. Put those smaller 1's in the smaller areas for even more convenience and coverage.
I would take the smaller t.v.’s and give them to Goodwill. I don’t think even Goodwill would want them.

This is not a difficult endeavor for Dolson to do. I have my own covered gazebo at home with a flat screen mounted under the roofline and it’s got a protective cover on it. Never had an issue through wind, rain, snow or extreme heat. They make these type of things.

Dolson could get two guys from IU maintenance to put them up in a couple of days. It should be easy.

Exactly. Kick the Director of the 100 in the ass and demand he put a top notch show on. Make it a no job or raise proposition. Prioritize ideas for a plan to, promote, execute, evaluate, change to improve the game day experience. Don't be weak willed it'll take a while to get improved results.
NO AUDIO ADVERTISING INSIDE.

Im sick of being marketed while the little Big Ten man in the red hat stands on the field for TV commercial time.

Here I am. Entertain me.

Put in actual seats. I’m sure it will decrease capacity but so be it. When the stadium is actually sold out, it’s miserable in the seats. I purposely get my season tickets higher on the 30 so I’m not crammed in a row.

Our band, as far as entertainment goes, is a complete embarrassment. Football fans don’t care how great the sound is, they want entertained. Ohio State is simply amazing at that.
Hoosier Wipeout is the stupidest thing quite possibly ever. When my daughter came to her first game she was not impressed.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Our band, as far as entertainment goes, is a complete embarrassment. Football fans don’t care how great the sound is, they want entertained. Ohio State is simply amazing at that.
Hoosier Wipeout is the stupidest thing quite possibly ever. When my daughter came to her first game she was not impressed.
This fact while the university has many of the top young musicians and vocal talent on the planet. Take the Ahia program and apply it to IU talent and; wow.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
This fact while the university has many of the top young musicians and vocal talent on the planet. Take the Ahia program and apply it to IU talent and; wow.

It's understood that Jacobs students want no part of low brow pursuits like Marching Band or Pep Band.

It's understood that Jacobs students want no part of low brow pursuits like Marching Band or Pep Band.
If their degree depends on them spending 1 Fall in the 100 the roster will be full.
3-4 ideas thrown out above with damn little effort. Change in the game day experience won't happen without changes using new thoughts happen. It takes someone with an attitude and accountability management talent. Ideas come from everywhere. Prioritize!

That has always been the excuse I hear. There are plenty of students to make up the band without forcing them. I suggest NIL money as an incentive.

That has always been the excuse I hear. There are plenty of students to make up the band without forcing them. I suggest NIL money as an incentive.

I'd love to see them step up and invest what it took to bring in someone from a southern HBCU where marching band in the thing to do and turn him/her loose. Might take a few years, but being able to put on a show like those places do would be unique to P5 and B1G schools. Cramer Hall and a B1G stage should make that an attractive prospect for someone willing to take on the challenge.

If their degree depends on them spending 1 Fall in the 100 the roster will be full.
3-4 ideas thrown out above with damn little effort. Change in the game day experience won't happen without changes using new thoughts happen. It takes someone with an attitude and accountability management talent. Ideas come from everywhere. Prioritize!
The Jacobs SOM only has about 750 undergraduate students, and many of them are part of the world renowned operatic disciplines that wouldn’t have application to the Marching Hundred. Others are string musicians, again another group that wouldn’t translate to the MH. Still others are involved in composition, yet another segment that lacks applicability to the MH or other athletic bands.

Charles Webb and Ray Cramer we’re both sensitive to feeding the MH with music school students, since that’s where the Department of Bands is based. RC was the very enthusiastic and well-liked head of the DOB for a couple of decades. Both knew you needed to recruit from the general student body if you were going to get the numbers and expertise to make the band Big Ten quality. Music Education majors were and are a focus for recruiting. Even then, it was a huge time commitment that many kids weren’t interested in making. Still somewhat of a mystery that, of the BiG schools known for their marching bands, only one other is known for their SOM, and at least one doesn’t even have a school or major for this.

Last edited:
Ehhh, lets be objective here. MS was not a really great stadium before the renovations began. It was always ahead of the curve on video boards but that was about it. It was pretty bad otherwise.

It is really really great now.

it was great from day 1.

but then what makes a stadium great to me has nothing to do with what's served at the concession stands, or how it looks from the blimp view, but rather the sight lines.

other than a dome in bad weather, no better place to see a game than MS.

due the design which elevates the corners, proximity of the east and west stands to the field, and the steeper grade, you get really great sight lines, and even good viewing from the corners.

better sight lines than the Hoosier Dome, which had better sight lines than LOS.

and better sight lines than most, if not all, B10 stadiums, and all new NFL stadiums.

i do have real issues with how they did both end zones, which i've addressed here before, but filling in the end zones does make it much better than before aesthetically.

but it was a great stadium from day 1.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
it was great from day 1.

but then what makes a stadium great to me has nothing to do with what's served at the concession stands, or how it looks from the blimp view, but rather the sight lines.

other than a dome in bad weather, no better place to see a game than MS.

due the design which elevates the corners, proximity of the east and west stands to the field, and the steeper grade, you get really great sight lines, and even good viewing from the corners.

better sight lines than the Hoosier Dome, which had better sight lines than LOS.

and better sight lines than most, if not all, B10 stadiums, and all new NFL stadiums.

i do have real issues with how they did both end zones, which i've addressed here before, but filling in the end zones does make it much better than before aesthetically.

but it was a great stadium from day 1.
115 rows is a long way up.

I'd love to see them step up and invest what it took to bring in someone from a southern HBCU where marching band in the thing to do and turn him/her loose. Might take a few years, but being able to put on a show like those places do would be unique to P5 and B1G schools. Cramer Hall and a B1G stage should make that an attractive prospect for someone willing to take on the challenge.
Ray Cramer was the longtime director of bands and was considered the "Dean" of BDs. Indiana's band was quality for the time but never kept pace with the changing times and tastes. Ahia is the only band people think of in the BIG and that is because of priority and what they do with the music/routines/etc.

IU has plenty of quality musicians across campus with the Jacobs students being the best of the best. It is simply a matter of priority.

Your idea of bringing leadership in from schools such as HBCUs is a good one.

Last edited:
Ray Cramer was the longtime band director and was considered the "Dean" of BDs. Indiana's band was quality for the time but never kept pace with the changing times and tastes. Ahia is the only band people think of in the BIG and that is because of priority and what they do with the music/routines/etc.

IU has plenty of quality musicians across campus with the Jacobs students being the best of the best. It is simply a matter of priority.

Your idea of bringing leadership in from schools such as HBCUs is a good one.
Yes, be creative, even to satisfy music school students if you have to turn the 100 into 2-50's so they perform every other home game. But it has to be PRIMO just like every other promo tried until the FB program becomes a product that is the strong fan draw.

Yes, be creative, even to satisfy music school students if you have to turn the 100 into 2-50's so they perform every other home game. But it has to be PRIMO just like every other promo tried until the FB program becomes a product that is the strong fan draw.
The problem with that split concept is that practicing formations and steps/routines is a huge commitment. There have been a few band guys here over the years and they can talk in more detail.

One of the challenges they have is recruiting enough members, since the practice / rehearsal obligations are so great. Splitting the unit into two groups would only deplete the numbers. That, plus the false notion that the Jacobs School could supply sufficient numbers, make this an uphill climb that can only be solved by effective leadership. Recruiting needs to come via the high school band world and also via the IU School of Education, where Music Education majors are. As I mentioned, of the highly recognized bands in the BiG, not all of them are from universities with a music school (and one doesn’t even have a music school). Great to have a renowned music school, but the numbers from there just aren’t enough.

The problem with that split concept is that practicing formations and steps/routines is a huge commitment. There have been a few band guys here over the years and they can talk in more detail.
One of the challenges they have is recruiting enough members, since the practice / rehearsal obligations are so great. Splitting the unit into two groups would only deplete the numbers. That, plus the false notion that the Jacobs School could supply sufficient numbers, make this an uphill climb that can only be solved by effective leadership. Recruiting needs to come via the high school band world and also via the IU School of Education, where Music Education majors are. As I mentioned, of the highly recognized bands in the BiG, not all of them are from universities with a music school (and one doesn’t even have a music school). Great to have a renowned music school, but the numbers from there just aren’t enough.
Take a deep breath, hold 6 seconds, exhale. If you want to reap positive results overcoming rocks in the road is a must. If there are folks who object to change neutralize the objection. Set a goal and make it happen.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT