ADVERTISEMENT

Bell's history is run first...better address the OLine

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
I'll have to admit, I'm not blown away by the QB transfer signing. Not because I don't think he's solid, because it sounds like he is...more because I worry how solid he'll be behind a mediocre offensive line.

So if Bell does implement a more run heavy offense...and our offensive line isn't markedly better...here is what's most likely to happen:

-The exact same damn thing that happened this year with Penix and Tuttle!
-Lots of possessions behind the sticks with 3rd and long situations. Not conducive to a non mobile QB, who's strength is accuracy on shorter passes, but isn't great down the field. It sounds like CB could be a good quarter back in Bell's system...if we had a decent OLine to allow for manageable passing situations. That won't happen with any OLine similar to this years.
-He'll get hit a lot. Sounds like he had injury issues this past season. We know how that could go for him, as every single one of our QBs the last couple years has had injury issues.
-Without at least the threat of QB run, or Deep ball passing option, of whatever offense they run...the defense can, and will, gear up to stop Bell's running back running preferences. Carr was decent this past year, but man, he had to work for pretty much every single yard he gained. Take away Penix deep ball threat, and/or McCulley's running threat, and our RB's will be eating face masks before they get to the line of scrimmage. In short, its gonna look like the Tuttle led team.

I think most of our team has gotten better from the NET impact of coaching and roster changes thus far this offseason. But in order for us to get back to plus territory with wins vs losses, the offensive line needs to be addressed. Walt Bell is not going to recreate our 2020 offense. The only silver lining might be his running focus might give our defense an extra minute or two of clock time to get a rest before they have to go out and defend our endzones.

On the complete flip side of all this. If our new staff does, somehow, manage to field an adequate offensive line. This new QB might be the perfect guy to manage the offense and go "do enough" to win us some games. Sounds like he's a pretty solid short to medium yardage guy, and is fairly accurate. If our line allows us to get some early down yardage via the run, and can give him a little bit of time in some play action or quicker read passing plays, he might be able to move the sticks well enough to allow our defense to play up to their full potential. Which could lead to a much better season.

CB isn't a upgrade at QB except by the #of games played. Unless IU is going after another transfer QB and treating CB as the 2022 QB then
TBH, he just doesnt "fit". Everyone is talking about how Bell had an explosive offense at MD when he had his QB1 in Pigriome. Which it was an explosive offense. But once he had to insert a drop back passer in Bortenshlager, his offense tanked.

Look at O'Brien at UMASS. He was an immobile, drop back passer, under Bell. He threw for like 49% comp and had 30 yds rushing total.

He just doesnt fit. But maybe Bell has a whole brand new offense he's never shown before. But I doubt that.

In any case, whatever offense Bell wants to run, he needs to fix the OLine or 2022 is be very, very painful.

TBH, he just doesnt "fit". Everyone is talking about how Bell had an explosive offense at MD when he had his QB1 in Pigriome. Which it was an explosive offense. But once he had to insert a drop back passer in Bortenshlager, his offense tanked.

Look at O'Brien at UMASS. He was an immobile, drop back passer, under Bell. He threw for like 49% comp and had 30 yds rushing total.

He just doesnt fit. But maybe Bell has a whole brand new offense he's never shown before. But I doubt that.

In any case, whatever offense Bell wants to run, he needs to fix the OLine or 2022 is be very, very painful.
I have no issue with the Quarterback's talent. He's a four star and former freshman of the year. He's a good football player. But I agree with the concerns about offensive fit. If he runs a running spread (and he is certainly a disciple of the running spread), I am not sure whey they sign a pro style quarterback. They already had one of those in Tuttle. That's a bit of a head scratcher to me.

Imagine if we saw Hiller let go and signing news of a seasoned, respected OL coach with a strong track record of success. To many, that would be the last step to having most of the pieces in place for IU moving forward in a major way. Tom Allen can recruit. I actually think we have some good OL talent on the team right now, I just think it’s the Achilles heel of current coaching staff that isn’t being developed well at all. Not sure why Coach Allen has this blind spot but do hope Bell has more experience to somehow mask it better than Sheridan did this year.

Last edited:
I have no issue with the Quarterback's talent. He's a four star and former freshman of the year. He's a good football player. But I agree with the concerns about offensive fit. If he runs a running spread (and he is certainly a disciple of the running spread), I am not sure whey they sign a pro style quarterback. They already had one of those in Tuttle. That's a bit of a head scratcher to me.
A 4-star QB, who ran the triple option in high school, was slowed by a hamstring injury last yr. which affected his ability to run & possibly his deep passes? I see better days ahead for Connor Bazelak.

CB isn't a upgrade at QB except by the #of games played. Unless IU is going after another transfer QB and treating CB as the 2022 QB then I don't see a real improvement other than having another QB in the room.
My hope remains one of our young dual threat QBs develops

Reactions: vesuvius13
The problem with Sheridan’s run first in my opinion was that it was basically the old Michigan run right at you offense that IU will never be built for. Hopefully WB has an offense with a lot more misdirection, pulling guards and tackles, trap blocks and a little TE over the middle where the cheating LBs used to be To help set up the runs. That sort of thing can make a lot of difference.

A 4-star QB, who ran the triple option in high school, was slowed by a hamstring injury last yr. which affected his ability to run & possibly his deep passes? I see better days ahead for Connor Bazelak.
He ran a verified 4.91 40 in HS. That is not fast.

I think the big issue with Bortenschlager wasn't about him being a drop back passer, but that he was a young/inexperienced and only moderately talented QB - he was in the same class as Pigrome, and really was only recruited to address major depth issues.

Even as a 5th year Sr at FIU this year, competing against mostly CUSA competition, he only completed 52% of his passes.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I think the big issue with Bortenschlager wasn't about him being a drop back passer, but that he was a young/inexperienced and only moderately talented QB - he was in the same class as Pigrome, and really was only recruited to address major depth issues.

Even as a 5th year Sr at FIU this year, competing against mostly CUSA competition, he only completed 52% of his passes.
I think it does matter the type of QB runs Bell's offense. Even if Bortenschlager just wasn't a good QB.

Bell's last successful offensive season was in 2015 with Ark State when his QB threw for 1800 and ran for 600 yds. Every year since then, his QBs have thrown for 50% and ran for less than 100yds. Every year he has a drop back passer, he has had bad offenses.

So yeah, his system has shown to be successful with a dual threat and has failed when he has a drop back passer.

One of the things with Bell is that in general he seems to have terrible talent to work with at QB. Has he had a good QB since 2015? The Maryland guys kept getting hurt. The Florida State kid was a mediocre freshman. The UMASS kid was no good. Trying to give him the benefit of the doubt in a lot of cases, but it's not like he's had Joe Montana at QB. We have three four star quarterbacks on the roster. Not sure he's had three four stars in the last five years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT